Start by marking “Happy Gut” as Want to Read:
Happy Gut

Happy Gut

Following the success of the bestselling Clean Gut and Wheat Belly comes this essential guide to improving digestive health from an expert in functional medicine—who reveals why everything that ails us, from fatigue to weight gain to bloating and bad skin, can be traced back to the gut, and shares his cleansing plan to help us reclaim our health.

Dr. Vincent Pedre understan
Published December 29th 2015 by William Morrow (first published March 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Happy Gut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Gut

Siel Ju
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Early this summer, I was getting to the point where I was afraid to eat anything because I didn’t know how my stomach would react. An innocuous-seeming salad would suddenly make me double over in pain, or bloat up like a really pregnant woman, or both. That’s why I picked up Happy Gut, by Vincent Pedre. Subtitled “The Cleansing Program to Help You Lose Weight, Gain Energy, and Eliminate Pain,” the book promised to fix all my digestive issues with a step-by-step program.

Did it work? Sort of. Here
Martha Love
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I bought this book when it first came out in 2015 and am glad that I did to use as a reference for all the great lists it includes, as well as the self-test questions for assessing the source of your gut problems and its symptom guides. I have written all in this book in many blank spots here and there and keep it as a way to organize some of my own research on gut health, so in this way I have also turned it into a personal workbook/journal. I can't say enough for its organization and simplicit ...more
Sara
May 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Way too much pseudoscience, not enough real science
Brook
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do not let me rating deter you from reading this book if it is a topic that you wish to learn about. As a person who is already fairly knowledgeable with eating healthy and the benefits of eating certain foods I didn't really read much in this book that I didn't already know. I skimmed through a lot and bypassed most of the scientific mumbo jumbo that I'm not interested in.

All in all.

Maybe it's inappropriate to only give this book 3 stars because I think a person who looks into this for first t
Deborah K Jones
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative read

Learned quite a few things regarding my gut. I am going to put a lot of the things he recommends into practice. Want to find out if this will help me to feel better. Also, it is very interesting when he talks about children and their diet affecting their behavior.
Clif Blanchard
Jan 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Full of Pseudoscience and sales pitch, To Fix your gut simply believe everything he says and keep sending him more money. The only thing he accomplishes is teaching how to SCAM and rob potential "Patients" of their hard earned money. Google FODMAPS diet and you can skip this book.
Correen
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pedre presents an interesting rationale for his rather severe diet. Unfortunately, because I listened to the book, I did not see his documentation. If I were to follow his diet, I would certainly want to have a better sense of his research. The diet is similar to that offered by many other writers but Pedre is more specific about the reasons and possible conditions a person might be enduring.

It is a worthwhile read because of the specificity of his information.

I reread the book in paper form an
Linda
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I’ve been struggling with stomach issues for almost a year now. It seems no matter what I eat, I get sick. This book has a lot of helpful information for anyone struggling with stomach problems. It discusses the most common food allergies, causes and has an in-depth explanation for just about every type of gut problem you can think of. This doctor seems to really know his stuff. The 28 day challenge looks tough but I might give it a go soon just to see if it helps. No dairy, no gluten, no sugar ...more
Bill Holmes
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
With the quantity of microbiome diet books coming out recently, I did not have high expectations for yet another book recommended by Dr. Oz. But I was pleasantly surprised at how well Dr. Pedre covered the subject and presented interesting research findings, ideas, recipes, and approaches as well as specific recommendations for IBS and other chronic conditions. I wished there was more discussion of various pre-biotics and more specific supplement recommendations including dose and timing, as des ...more
Szymon
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshelf, 2017
Quite decent book. If you haven't read anything about eating healthy food, you may find it pretty interesting. The biggest issue I had with this book - it's more like a manual to this Padre's C.A.R.E. program and the scientific research that gives you an answer why you have to make specific choices, why they work and what are consequences, based on scientific research. This book is very "American" - it gives you recipes, a program and information how to contact the author to get more information ...more
Meghan
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A lot of information. The tone (could have been because it was an audiobook) felt a little critical. Also, as a vegan I don't know how I would be able to do the 28 day cleanse. There was a lot of good information and practical tips but I don't know what the success rate for application is.
Marla Stanton
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life-- really! I live with a chronic illness, and this book has given me the tools to live a better quality life. If you live with fatigue or headaches or a chronic condition or even if you think you're healthy, READ THIS BOOK!
Karen Tauriainen
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I definitely think this doc is onto something...this is reslly a workbook for those who are seriously struggling with gut issues, and ready to be serious sbout solving them. You would need to purchase and own this book so that you had the plan and recipes.
Sue Hedin
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Everything you need to know to heal your gut, plus some. There is also an interesting conversation on the brain-gut connection. The author has a line of products and indexes that you miss out on with the audio version, but the book is very informative.
Stephanie
Jan 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-on-hold
Book? Or infomercial....
Trisha
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great book for those wanting to start eating to heal your gut. Lots of lists and suggestions for food suggestions. Very helpful when writing a healthy gut talk.
Lisa Burrington
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I learned a lot of new information from this book, not sure I agree with everything but I did enjoy reading this book.
The diet in the book would be very hard to follow.
DSICL
Jul 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Such a gimmick to buy his products. In the begining I thought oh yeah this is like me then I realized what a scam this is. Dont waste your money
Darchelle
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
*3.5
A little repetitive, but it is very interesting & a lot of things make sense about the gut controlling so much!
Kimberly
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good distillation of many things I've learned over 20 years, with new information I hadn't known. I think this will help a lot of people.
Wsinclaire
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to understand

Has all the details you could need and seems like a doable program. I learned tons. His website is minimal, however.
AD
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very useful book with solid diet recommendations.
Natalie
An interesting read about your diet and improving your health. Dr. Vincent Pedre gives step by step guidelines in how to improve your gut health. He explains what is wrong with many foods and what is wrong with the way most people eat. He then advises a 28-day cleanse and C.A.R.E. program to take care of conditions associated with a dysbiotic digestive system. He discusses the medical particulars of a poor functioning gut, including how to test for and treat all of the various symptoms and illne ...more
Elese
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Some of the information should be taken with a pinch of salt - there was some discussion based on a controversial Lancet journal article and the book advocated eating meat which plant-based diet advocates usually avoid, other than that a useful read in thinking about gut health.
Lisa K
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book quite a bit. Going into reading this, I was pretty ignorant on all that goes into gut health. I learned a lot. I feel like I have a firmer grasp on steps to take. I did the yoga sequence this morning and quite enjoyed it.
Michael McEvoy
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
The 28 day program is pretty intense... no wheat, gluten, sugar or dairy. I personally would not be able to do this, and am also lacking the motivation, so that's on me. Some of the recipes sounded good though so I'll give them a go.
Eman E.
Not bad. Good resource to understanding the gut and the digestion process, but I found the Happy Gut diet to be very expensive and time consuming. Unfortunately it's not a diet that I could stick with for a long time.
Linda
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not what I was hoping for

There was a lot of information in this book but much of it was extraneous. I didn’t really learn anything new, I was surprised to see a section on Yoga practice and pages of poses with how-tos and the last third was recipes.
Jeanette Krogstad
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A book that informs one of the basic gut function and quickly targets important areas to support for improved gut health. I found the recommendations support the advice of the functional medicine practitioner we have consulted and appreciate the recipes and resources provided.
Anastasia
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m always curious to learn more about the gut microbiome. This book was really a diet plan, so of less interest to me. Plus the supplements and breakfast smoothies were a turn off, but it’s pretty cool that the author promoted yoga and meditation.
« previous 1 3 next »

• New Menopausal Years: Alternative Approaches for Women 30-90
  • The Vegan Cookbook
  • Nighttime Parenting (Revised): How to Get Your Baby and Child to Sleep
  • The Happiness Diet: A Nutritional Prescription for a Sharp Brain, Balanced Mood, and Lean, Energized Body
  • Mind Over Meds: Know When Drugs Are Necessary, When Alternatives Are Better—and When to Let Your Body Heal on Its Own
  • The Forest Garden Greenhouse: How to Design and Manage an Indoor Permaculture Oasis
  • The Heal Your Gut Cookbook: Nutrient-Dense Recipes for Intestinal Health Using the GAPS Diet
  • The Power of Many: Values for Success in Business and in Life
  • The Cultural Politics of Food and Eating: A Reader
  • The Power Of The Crone
  • What the Yuck?: The Freaky and Fabulous Truth About Your Body
  • The Yeast Connection: A Medical Breakthrough
  • Mindful Running: How Meditative Running Can Improve Performance and Make You a Happier, More Fulfilled Person