Start by marking “The Shaman's Curse (Dual Magics, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shaman's Curse (Dual Magics, #1)

The Shaman's Curse

(Dual Magics #1)

Vatar risked his life to try to save his friend--and failed.
Now he has an implacable enemy in the vengeful shaman, who blames Vatar for the death of his only son. In his isolation, Vatar finds some comfort in daydreams. He knows the strange girl he sometimes imagines is just that--a dream. She’d better be.

Because, if she’s real things could get even worse for Vatar. The ac
Published July 7th 2014

To ask other readers questions about The Shaman's Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shaman's Curse

Start your review of The Shaman's Curse (Dual Magics, #1)
Donna Weaver
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WHAT IT'S ABOUT
Vatar risked his life to try to save his friend--and failed.

Because, if she’s real things could get even worse for Vatar. The accepted magic of Vatar’s plains tribe wouldn’t enable him to see or communicate with a girl he doesn’t even kn
Jeanne Johnston
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Kind of your basic fantasy, but not badly done. My biggest complaint is that the story just ends abruptly in the middle, and the excerpt from the next book cuts off even worse, mid paragraph.
AudioBookReviewer
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
My original The Shaman's Curse audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Vatar is an adolescent on the verge of taking his manhood test. He and his friends are on a hunting trip when they decided to cool off in a nearby river. Vatar has a premonition of trouble but tries his best to ignore it. None of his friends know about Vatar’s premonitions as they would be seen as a form of magic and magic is not allowed in the society in which Vatar lives.

Vatar and his friends wad
Valettagirl
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an interesting and different book for me to read this was. I’m not usually into this type of book but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The different clans and peoples with their different ways of life, the differing levels and methods of magic and the rejection of such magic by the Dardani people. Lots of imagination used in the writing of this book and real escapism. Loved the bad guys too. Very real as to reasons behind the hatred of Vatar and clever use of the sheep mentality which ...more
MGB
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very well written story. The author pulls the reader in and you can really sympathize with the protagonist. The travails he must experience are magnified by slipping between three different cultures. Through it all he stays true to himself.

He grew up in a culture which fears magic, yet he becomes part of two other cultures which have magic as a core part of their existence. Very interesting to see his slow acceptance and pragmatism about his new found abilities.
Viola
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Highly Entertaining

Great richly developed characters...excitement in abundance.
Romance, evil plots, spiritual growth and Lots of magical powers. Absolutely delightful and concentrated in adventure.
Evelyn
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Lots of magic! I loved it!
Rebecca
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 star

Enjoyed this. Lots of challenges, but MC has plenty of agency. The magic is well-limited so far. MC is interesting and likeable and uis world is complex.
Kitty_ranma
Warning highly addictive story.
It strikes me that there doesn't seem to be a explanation for the stars that are given. So I thought I'd start giving my take on it.
1 horrible no redeeming qualities. So far I've never given a 1.
2 blah but there are redeeming qualities.
3 ok worth reading.
4 great but there's something off.
5 loved it.

So now about this story. I couldn't stop listening, I can't wait for more of this series. I want to say more about this story but I absolutely hate spoilers, so I
Jeff Davault
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a very pleasant surprise, as it wasn't typical high fantasy, though it has a good magical bent, though less of the swordplay one might expect from fantasy. While the villain was a bit one dimensional, I thought the other main character's were well drawn and more fleshed out. I am definitely looking forward to the next in the series.

If you want something a bit different in a magic system, as well as some interesting characters, you may want to give this a try. As with any book, it won't
Wendy
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was interesting read. The author's writing was a bit rough. I can however see potential in her writing. The story had enough originality in it to keep me reading. I liked how the characters were written especially the father and son dynamic. Look forward to reading more from the author.
Victoria
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is a great book to read
Amanda Kern
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Awesomeness

This is a good book. I really enjoyed it. I will definitely read the next book. I can't wait to see what happens. I have even preordered the 4th book.
Lamonica Hart
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome. looking forward to next book.
laurie moore
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a read

It's a wonderful world to get lost in. I must get the next book. The fear of magic the acceptance and learning. It is a journey I enjoyed.
Michael Katz
Dylan Hamblin
Feb 02, 2015
Jim Culp
Sep 02, 2014

• Magician's Heir (The Dark Mage Series Book 1)
  • Whiskey Storm (Whiskey Witches Midnight Rising #1)
  • The Mortal Blade (Magelands Eternal Siege, #1)
  • Aether's Guard (Aether's Revival, #2)
  • Only the Worthy (The Way of Steel, #1)
  • Huntress Found (The Timekeeper's War, #1)
  • The Atlantis Girl (The Atlantis Saga #1)
  • Extreme Medical Services (Extreme Medical Services #1)
  • A Testament of Steel (Instrument of Omens, #1)
  • Creation Mage (War Mage Academy, #1)
  • Desert Shaman (Whiskey Witches Ancients, #1)
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
  • A Quest of Heroes (The Sorcerer's Ring, #1)
  • World Keeper: Birth of a World
  • World Keeper: Precursor
  • The Last Colony (Old Man's War, #3)
  • The Human Division (Old Man's War, #5)
  • Something (Full Murderhobo Book 1)
Professionally, I've been a financial analyst and a visual basic programmer. I also have a paralegal certificate, although I've never worked in that field. It's anybody's guess what I'll be when I grow up.

Imagining stories and writing have always been an important part of my life. It's one I've finally gotten to spend a significant amount of time on while I care for my mother who has Alzheimer's d

Dual Magics (4 books)
  • The Voice of Prophecy (Dual Magics, #2)
  • Beyond the Prophecy (Dual Magics, #3)
  • War of Magic (Dual Magic, #4)