Start by marking “Catching the Departed (Andy Karan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Catching the Departed (Andy Karan, #1)

Read Book

Catching the Departed

(Andy Karan #1)

The dead don’t speak. But sometimes they leave a trail. Andy Karan, an investigative journalist, is tasked to probe one such – the death of a local lawyer.
He ends up grievously wounded. His new found love Monica’s life is in danger too.
It’s not that Andy wants to live for ever. But to die at the hands of enemies of the nation will be a shame that will transcend even death.
Published July 18th 2014 by Tara Press

To ask other readers questions about Catching the Departed, please sign up.
Kulpreet Yadav Thank you. I am glad that you liked the novel.

Thank you. I am glad that you liked the novel.

Remember, your birth doesn't decide your destiny. You do. Like Andy Karan, in 'Catching the Departed' who refuses to become a victim of the circumstances of his birth. Or go down like his namesake from Mahabharata. (less)

Tarang Sinha
It's a nice, engaging read. Andy Karan is an admirable character. I liked the writing; it creates nice imagery and helps you understand things better, however I felt that the author has made it an easy read (without any cliffhangers even though there was scope for some psychological twists to enhance the unpredictability factor (that would have been more thrilling!).

Nevertheless, this book was a nice, interesting read. If you enjoy crime thrillers, go pick it up!

Full review on my blog: http://ta
Devi Nair
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: paper-back
Check out the complete review at Catching the Departed (Andy Karan, #1) > Review

The summary of the book was very captivating. That prompted me to contact the author for a review copy. However, the story did not live up to expectations.

The author tried very hard to write a gripping mystery. The attempt was very clearly visible throughout the book. The descriptions were a bit too much, but not something which will bother you. The story is passable. It is definitely not bad, but it is also not a
Chitra Iyer
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some books you wish wouldn't end. And for me they almost always fall in the mystery/suspense category. I can't get enough of the thrills they provide, I guess. Well, The Girl Who Loved A Spy by Kulpreet Yadav is one such book. Let's discuss it further after the summary.

Andy Karan (you'll get to know the story behind the strange name in the book) is a journalist working for the New Delhi Today magazine. He is asked by his attractive boss, Monica, to go to Tilakpur (a small village near
Shilpa Garg
Jul 30, 2014 rated it liked it
When you read great reviews of the book all across the web and when the cover of the book says, “Shortlisted for Hachette-DNA – Hunt for the Next Bestseller”, the expectations are bound to be high. So, with high expectations, I started reading Catching the Departed.

Andy Karan aka Anil Karan Singh left army after 5 years to be an investigative journalist with a magazine. He is sent to a village located on the outskirts of Delhi to investigate the death of a local lawyer and unearth a terror plot.
Namrota Mazumdar
Aug 11, 2014 rated it liked it
The author seems to not have paid much attention to the main characters. Monica's character seems to have been forcefully injected and nothing constructive comes out of it. Not fair to her intelligence. The architect behind all the wrong doings too didn't seem to be enough spiteful to be loathed. They fail to impress. At times they shine and other times they fall flat. The same happens with the story.

This review has been sitting on the back burner for months. My sheer incapability in time manage
Bookbuster
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Omg!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE and yes!! "LOVE"!! This book. Words cannot express how amazing this book is. Kulpreet Yadav takes the category of romantic suspense to a whole new level! It had me on the edge of my seat and never mind the hotness level is off the charts! This book just drew me in, held me by the collar and never let go! I was second guessing my theories the entire time I was reading and I loved every second of it! This is a must read. I enjoyed it so much, thank you Kulpreet Yadav for g ...more
Ritu Lalit
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
An engaging thriller. What I admired as a writer was when Andy Karan returns home after a week or more of mayhem, bodies falling etc. etc. to the smell of rotting banana peel in his tiny apartment and the reader then remembers that Andy was eating a banana when he had received a phone call that started it all. Well done Kulpreet.
Niki Singh
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Never expected a thriller from an Indian writer to be so engaging. Kept me hooked right till the end. Andy Karan, our next door spy, is so refreshing. I liked the Mumbai and Murud Janjira island part, towards the second half, which felt like a roller coaster ride.
Rahul Singh
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Charged and infectious. This is super-good work. Loved Andy Karan, but Monica, she reminded me of someone I knew at college. This book is high on imagery and has an intense plot.
Laxman Pangtey
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this thriller, very authentic high octane stuff. Andy is terrific...I liked his Indian-ness, truthfulness and courage.
Reet Singh
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the author, Kulpreet Yadav, offered readers a copy of his book to read and review, I raised my hand. I was intrigued by the title, and by the fact that the author is an ex-army man - as is the hero, Andy Karan, of this thriller.

I was an army kid and I will always have a huge soft spot for the men in khakhi. So when the book arrived, I wanted to read it right away, but couldn't because I was swamped with stuff. Once I did pick it up, though, I was glad that it lived up to my expectations.

Th
Binod Mairta
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperback
For last three or four years, I have been trying to read all kinds of books, expanding my world beyond the horizon of literary books. And to my surprise, the spy novels and thrillers have surreptitiously but very beautifully made a niche for themselves in my heart. A little credit for this goes to my first failed attempt to write a thriller. Without being a good reader, one cannot be a good writer. Better the book, greater the chances of improvement.

The Girl Who Loved A Spy by Kulpreet Yadav is
Arvind Passey
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pink candies in a thriller. Review of ‘Catching the Departed’
Arvind Passey
21 April 2015
‘She put her hands around him and looked into his eyes. Andy’s instincts took over. He kissed the pink candies gently at first and then passionately as she played on. Her lips had a tremble of submission in them which gave him greater pleasure and he…’

Now that I have your attention, let me just say that ‘Catching the Departed’ is not about pink candies and Kulpreet Yadav isn’t the sort of detective thriller
Vivek Attupurath
This one is really a masterpiece. Every single chapter kept me at the edge of the seat.

What i liked the most about this novel is that, not even a single page is written just for the sake of filling pages. Every single page had some content, without which this book would have remained incomplete.

Characters were very well defined and every single character had a purpose in the build up of the story. The way this story is presented is highly appreciable and that is what contributes the most to the
Chakra
Aug 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
B-Grade dumb

SUNDAY GUARDIAN REVIEW

Kulpreet Yadav's debut novel, the first "Andy Karan thriller" the world will ever have to endure, is advertised as a four-hour book. It's a special initiative of the publishers, books that you can finish inside four hours; short 250-page thrillers that promise to not occupy more of your life than two days' commute. It took me 25 hours to finish Catching the Departed, a book that is so badly written that turning pages becomes an ordeal after a point.

It's not just
Deepti
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Andy Karan, the intrepid protagonist of ‘Catching the Departed’, published by Tara India Research Press, would probably be a dream detective in Bollywood! As the description goes, “Andy was always hungry for adventure”, informs the reader of why he becomes an investigative journalist, after a stint in the Indian Army. The action begins when Monica, his beautiful boss at the New Delhi Today magazine, sends him to Tilakpur to look into the murder of Ram Avtar, a drunk who knew too much about a ter ...more
Abhyudaya Shrivastava
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
The most impressive part about the book is its prologue which is so beautifully written that it begs some serious reading. Our protagonist, the banana-eating, army badass, Andy Karan heads off to a nondescript village in Haryana to investigate for a murder that no one really cares about. The book is essentially more of a spy thriller than detective fiction.

The writing developed some fatigue in the middle. The dialogues almost disappeared and the narration started looking hurried. The protagonis
Amit Gupta
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it
They say to grab attention of the readers in a thriller/mystery genre, make the murder happen as quickly as possible. Kulpreet does this within the first 3 pages and that's what intrigues you about the book straight away. As the book proceeds, the plot thickens and even though writing wavers in the middle portions and plot slips, the writing is competent enough to take you through the end.

A ghastly murder in the dead of night at a faraway village in the capital's underbelly sets the motion in 'C
Shashank Pandey
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Andy Karan-An Ex-Army Officer and A Journalist, who works for the New Delhi Today– receives a call from his boss Monica and is said to go to Tilakpur, in Rewari near New Delhi, to follow a murder story. But the whole story changes when Andy reaches Tilakpur. He gets to know that something dangerous is brewing up which will threaten the security and peace of the whole country. At the same time, he is approached by an old man from a secret government organisation The List- a group of secret agent ...more
Vidyadhar Durgekar
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had two books for this long week end. One was the award winning ‘Chronicles of the Corpse Bearer’ and the other one ‘Catching the departed’, third book from Kulpreet Yadav. It seemed he has really departed from his other two books. This was really a winner for me instead of the shortlist of Hatchette. Recently I have read one detective book Lee childs Jack Reacher thriller. It will not be an exaggeration if I say, I could not really feel the difference between the Lee’s and Kulpreet’s writing. ...more
Amit Joshi
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Amit by: Author himself
Just finished reading book 'Catching the Departed'. I must say I found it Very captivating & thrilling one. The pace was never lost. Some of small witty dialogues about human behavior & situation left me mesmerized about Writer's writing capabilities & I said to my wife "see every writer notice small things, store them in his mind & heart for years and then whenever he gets chance he incorporate them in his writing.

The book had very few dialogues between characters most of the ti
Rohit Ainapur
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Kulpreet Yadav Potrays Andy Karan in a very interesting manner. Set in almost 3 locations, the author gives a realistic feel and setting to the storyline, along with precise attention to detail.
The Potrayal of a village setting is infact apt and quite natural the way it is supposed to be found in Most Haryana Villages. This Book infact leaves the reader quite frustated in some scenes, where The "Hero" Would keep repeating his mistakes, but again, its a mere potrayal of how Life can keep giving
Zoomikag
Jul 30, 2014 rated it liked it
3.25 Stars
-------------------------

A typical storyline!!

The story bears typical characteristics like thrilling sequence of events, little bit of love, well not much of suspense/mystery but classy protagonist excited to face risky adventures and shady villain playing good-guy upfront society.

Narrations as well as writing is good with no visible flaws. However it felt that there is still scope of improving and refining the overall quality.

One thing I liked in particular is the epilogue, the way
Ramchandra Saran
I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I have got a problem with Indian writers writing in English. For some reason, they try to use very complicated language and because of that I’m not able to enjoy the story. I bought this from the railway station and I was slightly doubtful in the beginning but when I started to read I was totally absorbed in the story. The language is so simple that anyone can read and understand. The story is good, the Haryana rural scenery with crime and spy work are described be ...more
Harini
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. The plot of the story was good and it was a commendable effort, coming from an Indian author. The unveiling of the plot was gripping halfway through. But in the second half, the progress became predictable with a typical Bollywood-style romance coming in the way of the lead's job. There were not many twists to the story in the latter half, and the ending missed the WOW factor expected in a thriller. But the simplicity of the language an ...more
Pankaj Kumar
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read
when I get the parcel from goodreads and open it to look at the book the first reaction was impressive! I mean the cover attracts me to just start reading . the book itself was a easy read literally a four hour book.The story have many twist and turns and sadly it is one of those book the chooses sad love story with main love interest's death only to find out the in the end history repeated itself and a new journey began.The story itself was good and kulpreet yadav manage to creat a great "nucle ...more
Agnivo Niyogi
Aug 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Full review: http://antorjatikbangali.wordpress.co...

Catching the Departed is the first in a series of suspense thrillers with Andy Karan as the protagonist. Andy is an investigative journalist who works is also an ex-army man. It is said that the dead cannot speak, but they do leave a trail behind. Andy embarks on one such journey to uncover the mystery of the murder of a lawyer in Tilakpur.
Komal Choudhary
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I mainly enjoyed the story because it breaks the stereotype about our society. Monica is ten years older and Andy is in love with her. This message is the backbone and I think that’s one of the main strengths of the book that it takes on tough modern issues. Andy Karan’s Mahabharata angle is important too. Everyone in India is like Andy Karan in numerous ways of patriotism and service before self.
Deendayal Choudhary
This book has everything that a good mystery novel should have. Once I started reading it, I was not able to stop myself and finished it in one go. I liked the swift action and the urban-ish prose even though the initial portions were in a small village. After Mumbai, the story becomes almost addictive. The suspense and the emotional ending are very powerful too. Strongly recommended for those who love action-packed books.
Santara Kumari
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spies and beautiful girls, it seemed like a James Bond movie and the covers also hinted so. But this is nothing like James Bond. It’s an Indian story of a spy who is willing to sacrifice everything that comes in the way of his duty, even his love. Hard-hitting storyline and central theme, I enjoyed reading the novel. Arabian sea, islands, boats, cars, bombs, police and spies etc. There was a lot of stuff that kept me hooked throughout.
  • Colours in the Spectrum
  • Performance Anomalies
  • Great Sonnets
  • The Emperor's Riddles
  • MBA Is Not About Money, Blazer, Arrogance
  • The Apple Cart: A Political Extravaganza
  • Blood+, Volume 1 - First Kiss (Blood+ light novel, #1)
  • Romeo and Juliet (No Fear Shakespeare Graphic Novels)
  • The War of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #5)
  • Life Is a Pack of 52 Cards
  • Jack & Master: A Tale of Friendship, Passion and Glory
  • Malgudi Adventures
  • She: Ekla Cholo Re
  • Life Song
One of the leading fiction writers in India, Kulpreet Yadav retired voluntarily from the armed forces to pursue a career in writing in 2014. Also a motivational speaker now, he has spoken at more than two hundred schools, colleges, and global corporate brands during the last four years. Popular for his Andy Karan series, his new spy novel, Murder in Paharganj, was published by Bloomsbury India in ...more

Andy Karan (2 books)
  • The Girl Who Loved a Pirate (Andy Karan, #2)
“Failure is temporary. Success is permanent.” 0 likes