Start by marking “Swimming Pool Sunday” as Want to Read:
Swimming Pool Sunday

Swimming Pool Sunday

One shimmeringly hot Sunday in May, the Delaneys open their pool to the whole village for charity. Louise is there with her daughters, and while the children splash and shriek in the cool blue waters, she basks in the sunshine, attempting to ignore her estranged husband and dreaming of the new man in her life, a charismatic lawyer. The day seems perfect.

Then a sudden and
Published August 26th 2014 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Swimming Pool Sunday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swimming Pool Sunday

Start your review of Swimming Pool Sunday
Anna
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: britmania
It's not a perfectly constructed story, but is was a surprisingly good read. It's a pre-Shopaholic novel written under her real name, and when I saw it on my e-book library site, I knew I had to read it.

MW beautifully captures the undercurrent of this small village near London. It's the story of two families who are both touched by tragedy. The Delaneys, Ursula and Hugh, have lost their younger son and are still grieving his death. His widow Meredith is living with them and has truly become
Rea Cobb
May 31, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of all books by Sophie Kinsella. I have read every one of her books on more than one occasion. I was getting a little tired and impatient of waiting for her to release another book so I decided to visit her website to see if there was any information as to when she is due to release another book and what I found out to my surprise is that she writes under two names Sophie Kinsella and her real name Madeleine Wickham. I have now slowly started making my way through the books by ...more
Heather Porter
Apr 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Love Sophie Kinsella, hated this book. There was a whole sub-plot that had nothing to do with the book. Some major events were completely glossed over, and I really had no sympathy for the main characters.
Love Fool
If Goodreads would let me I would give this a 3.5 rating.

Then a sudden and shocking accident changes everyone's lives forever.

I had my doubts
Nataliec7
-A
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm conflicted about this book - on one hand I loved it but on the other hand I hated and was irritated by it.

I found myself hating so many of the main characters for being stupid and naive but this is how it happens in life sometimes.
Louise irritated me, Ursula irritated me....

The only character I loved and wanted to know all about was Meredith. She seemed as the only sane and real person.

I love all the other Madeleine Wickham's book as Sophie Kinsella but i wouldn't recommend this one to
Brittany Lentz
Interesting book...I didn't expect the story line from the summary for some reason. But it was definitely different. The only complaint I would have, is that the writer would glaze over the most anticipated parts. Like she would build up to this moment, and then end the chapter. Then we wouldn't get to be there in the story when it actually happened. We'd hear a bit about it retrospectively or a rumor about it from someone else. Still love this writer though! Her writing keeps me captivated and ...more
Carole Fortenberry
I am torn on this book. This book is not like any Madeleine Wickham AKA Sophie Kinsella book I've read. To me it was a hard read, very slow and not her normal fun style. I've read all her books and they have the same feel. This one is different.

Beverly
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, literary, british
In this retelling of Dickens’ Bleak House Wickham really has it in for lawyers and law suits. Although not as perfectly integrated as say Clueless, Wickham does a nice job with a familiar and classic storyline. In case you doubt the connection:
Jarndice= the Delanays
Esther Summerson = Meredith
Lady Deadlock = Sylvia
Tulkinghorn = Cassion
Richard Carstone = the Kembers
Ada Clare = Daisy
Plus I know there are characters I’m forgetting because I haven’t read Bleak House in a long time.

I’m glad I read
AJ Flamingo
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
KINSELLA DOES IT AGAIN!

Is there any end to Sophie Kinsella’s storytelling abilities? She weaves subplots and evokes varied emotions with grace and wit. I also get a kick out of her uniquely British language. It brings me back to her every time. I can’t say I’m a big fan of “Women’s Fiction,” or less kindly referred to as Chick Lit but I appreciate a story that takes me out of myself if only for a few hours...
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 01/05/1997
Author: Madeleine Wickham
Recommended for: fans of chick lit

I really enjoy the series of books by Madeleine Wickham (Sophie Kinsella), these are the kind of books that you can easy get caught up in and loose trck of time. This book features the Delaney's (Hugh and Ursula) and the Kembler's ( Louise, Katie and Amelia) they are really wonderful characters who you will find very likeable and easy to get along with. This is a story full of fear, betrayal and greed. A really
Karen
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would give this book 3 and half stars if I could. 3 doesn't seem enough but 4 too many.
This is a story about the effects an accident can have on a family and friends. The story was good but just found that at times some of the characters annoyed me. But having said that it is the sign of a good book when it makes you feel any kind of emotion.
Pari
Nov 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was... Meh. I love Sophie, I love her writing as Madeleine, but this book ranks second last, among the four books of hers that I've read. Better than Sleeping Arrangements.
I love Barnaby, Alexis, Meredith. Hated Cassian. Loved his name but hated him.
Des
I think this was an okay read, it wasn't bad and I enjoyed it. But it wasn't anything really good. The characters weren't always very likable, and some of their decisions were questionable but understandable at times. (view spoiler) ...more
Natalie Seymour
This was a good book, but completely different from “Sophie Kinsella” in terms of content. I have read almost all of this authors books under her pseudonym Sophie Kinsella and they are very light hearted, fun, easy going and very funny. Under her original name, she takes on a different tack and becomes more serious with her story lines. The reading style is the same, very easy and not to intense, but the content has changed. I really enjoyed the change and the story itself is good. I felt it was ...more
Bree T
Louise and her husband Barnaby are in the midst of a messy separation. On a weekend when Barnaby was due to have their two daughters, Amelia and Katie, he wants to take them fishing. However it’s the one day a year that the Delaneys, Hugh and Ursula, open their pool to the entire small village, charging a coin donation that goes to charity. The ‘fair’ is famous and both of the girls are desperate to go. Barnaby, impatient, declares that he’s going fishing and Amelia chooses to remain behind with ...more
Bridget Bailey
I have read almost all of this author's books but I wouldn't say this was one of my favorite books. I felt like this book was much longer than it needed to be and a few storylines that were not necessary. This book had a lot of ups and downs and I think it was good in the character development aspect but the storyline was still somewhat lackluster. She has written better books and books that have kept my interest longer. I wouldn't recommend this book but it's not a horrible read just not her ...more
Lydia Smith
I love all books by Sophie Kinsella and decided to give her Madeline Wickham series a read. I was really disappointed with the book as a whole. I found it really confusing as it jumped around lots of different characters in the book. I also didn't find the storyline very gripping and actually couldn't wait to finish! (never thought I would say that about any of her books). I just hope that the rest of the series is good as i bought the box set!
Ephie
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was hugely disappointing for me. I felt that Madeleine Wickham was trying to tackle a topic out of her depth. The story was bland and pointless, and the characters uninteresting - I still don't understand Alexis' relationship to the Delaneys or the purpose of Daisy.

The only good thing about this book is the author's style of writing which made the book readable and that I felt I got a decent insight into a mother's thoughts and fears on occasion.

Boring, do not recommend.
Helene Passy
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kinsella is really good when she moves away from the fluffy fairy tales - this book asks a lot of interesting questions: what happens when a child gets brain-damaged in the neighbour’s pool? Is there ground for a personal injury trial... and is it moral?
It’s not often Kinsella writes realistic stories that don’t necessarily end well, and I quite enjoyed that one.
Luvena
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book didn't meet my expectations - or maybe it was just that I was had Sophie Kinsella as a benchmark. It had some good emotions splashed all over and I enjoyed the expression of hurt through anger and tit-for-tat - seemed real enough. It was a sweet read but nothing to rave about.
Dawn Vanstone
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was meatier than I expected. I enjoyed the book although it was predictable in parts and the ending was a bit sugar coated - although one character, Meredith, didn't seem to have her story brought to a proper conclusion like the rest of the characters.
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit disappointed with this book, the plot was a good idea but it didn’t really follow through for me. One of the storylines was pointless and didn’t link to the book at all, it all seemed a bit messy. It’s definitely a different style of writing than the Sophie Kinsella books.
Adeline Kam
The style of writing for this book is different from the Shopaholic series (which I loved very much). This book is more serious and I find it rather bored. Somehow the story doesn't flow well. I am quite disappointed with this book and tried to skim through as fast as possible. ...more
Luvena
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ok read... let me down (thinking of Kinsella's work)... nothing great, nothing outrageously different. In fact, as a parent, I felt Louise and Barnaby really failed Amelia and as an author, I feel the story was disjointed when Amelia wasn't included. Very average....
Jody
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What you see is exactly what you get. It's not pretending to be anything other than a typical light, read targeted at women.

Quick read, predictable but agreeable.
Pam Kerr
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed more than expected and prefer the author writing under this name rather than the shopaholic series.
SuPatsy
Ok, found it a bit hard to read so kept putting it down and picking back up again.
Heather
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I do not recommend this book.
Amanda (Tholke) Hollenkamp
Definitely not one of her stronger ones
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Was the editing bad for everyone or just me? 2 17 Sep 25, 2011 01:57AM

• Wedding Night
  • The Christmas Party (Christmas Fiction)
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • Shopaholic to the Rescue (Shopaholic, #8)
  • Mini Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #6)
  • Twenties Girl
  • I Owe You One
  • Shopaholic to the Stars (Shopaholic, #7)
  • Shopaholic Ties the Knot (Shopaholic, #3)
  • Six Geese A-Laying
  • I've Got Your Number
  • Remember Me?
  • Shopaholic on Honeymoon (Shopaholic #3.5)
  • Surprise Me
  • Can You Keep a Secret?
  • Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic, #2)
  • Little White Lies
  • Shopaholic and Sister (Shopaholic, #4)
Madeleine Wickham (born 12 December 1969) is a bestselling British author under her pseudonym, Sophie Kinsella. Educated at New College, Oxford, she worked as a financial journalist before turning to fiction. She is best known for writing a popular series of chick-lit novels. The Shopaholic novels series focuses on the misadventures of Becky Bloomwood, a financial journalist who cannot manage her ...more
“But sometimes,’ he said, forcing himself to speak, ‘sometimes just loving each other isn’t enough.” 0 likes
“It’s extremely difficult to get things in perspective when you rub up against them every day.” 0 likes