Start by marking “The Right Hand of Amon (Lieutenant Bak, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Right Hand of Amon (Lieutenant Bak, #1)

The Right Hand of Amon

(Lieutenant Bak #1)

WHEN KINGS WALKED AS LIVING GODS

It is the eighteenth dynasty of Queen Maatkare Hatshepsut, divine ruler of a sun-seared realm. And blood flows as freely as the great, winding Nile that nourishes this ancient land of intrigue and danger.

Lieutenant Bak is a loyal servant of the royal house of Egypt--commander of the Medjay police in the frontier fortress city of Buhen. A man

Published November 1st 1997 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Right Hand of Amon, please sign up.
Jim Franklin 1) The sentry is just ribbing Nofery as to if she's up to looking at the body and not throwing up - as apparently some of the scribes (scribblers) had…more1) The sentry is just ribbing Nofery as to if she's up to looking at the body and not throwing up - as apparently some of the scribes (scribblers) had done when Bak had them look at the body when trying to ID the dead man. Nofery then retorts that the sentry can make fun of her if he wants, but we'll be seeing who's laughing when he's trying to have a good time in her house of ill-repute.

2) That's a reference to the incident that got Bak demoted and sent to Buhen.(less)

Dorothy
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Egyptology and mystery buffs
I have previously read two ancient Egyptian mystery series - P.C. Doherty's Lord Amerotke series and Linda S. Robinson's Lord Meren. I loved them both. I love learning about an era which fascinates me and being entertained by a mystery at the same time.

This series, of which "The Right Hand of Amon" is the first book, seems to have a very different focus. It takes place far away from the halls of power for one thing whereas the other two are steeped in the machinations of the ruling class. It of
Lexie Conyngham
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Somewhere between 3.5 and 4 stars. This book began, for me, desperately slowly. The setting was very good, but I had intended to read 30 pages at the first sitting and by p.4 I was looking at my watch and thinking of other things. I could not distinguish the characters or care much about them. It took until I was about halfway through for me to think I quite liked Bak, the main character (and to wonder if everything in the town smelled of lentils and onions - perhaps it did), and to start to be ...more
Jenks
Jul 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
It took me the longest time to finish this. I think I was experiencing something similar to Paul Doherty and instead I felt like watching paint dry.
Not for me and I’ll sadly not be finishing the series.
Barbra
Feb 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
If you love ancient Egypt and a mystery this is the series for you. The series takes place in Ancient Egypt, circa 1463 B.C. 18th Dynasty during the dual reign of Maatkare Hatshepsut and her stepson/nephew Menkheperre Tuthmose, with Queen Hatshepsut exercising full power. The setting takes place in and around the Belly of Stones, and the ruined fortresses of Buhen and Iken, located about two hundred miles south of present-day Aswan on the Nile River.
Jan
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, series
This is a tale of ancient Egypt with murder and kings and how times past can haunt one. Lt Bak is the head of the local police force with the murder of a well connected fellow officer to solve before the visiting king arrives.

This was mystery at its best! Twists and turns with plausible explanations not solved by magic or the hand of god(s) to end the tale.
Ellen
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun change of pace mystery set in ancient Egypt. Bak, a medjay ( policeman) who encounters a dead body
floating in the Nile. This sets him on a trail to finding out who the dead man is, and ends up leading to
a possible assassination of a King. Fascinating novel that I enjoyed very much.
S Beverage
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this a while ago, but I remember it being thoroughly enjoyable. I really liked the way the author brought ancient Egypt to life, and the characters were strong, and the plot moved well.

Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: police, owned
Interesting Egyptian historical fiction, it's a police procedural from the distant past. If you enjoy these two things, this could be the series for you.
Deb
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
First book of what looks to be an interesting series of mysteries taking place during Egypt's 18 Dynasty. It was a bit slow going at first, but by the end I was fully engaged.
Katie Tillwick
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A good murder mystery, set in exotic ancient Egypt. Good detail, great main character.
Gregoire
Premier tome d'une série se situant en 1483 avant JC en Egypte et mettant en place des personnages qui auront à démêler des intrigues et meurtres
Je ne sais pas ce qui manque mais j'ai eu beaucoup de mal à m'immerger Je tenterai un ou deux autres opus pour cette Egypte ancienne qui fascine et que Lauren Haney tente de faire revivre plus que pour l'intrigue policière ...
Virginia Adi
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
engaging characters
Rose
This book is a very interesting and to my knowledge well researched story set in Ancient Egypt.
A police officer checking up on a murder case accidentally uncovers a plot to kill Pharo. But since his only witness is a mute boy, it may be difficult to stop.
This book is unfortunately not suited to young audiences due to some references to prostitution. Thus the four stars rather than five.
John Kenny
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Lieutenant Bak is a policeman on the frontier between ancient Egypt and Kush, what is now Sudan. The murder of a nobleman's son reveals a plot to assassinate the visiting Kushite king. Bak's task is to solve the murder and prevent the assassination from starting a war.

I really wanted to like this book more. The setting was unusual and full of potential - ancient Egypt, and the characters were well developed and credible.

The problems were in the structure. The plot at times becomes formulaic and
April
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty good mystery about a police lieutenant in ancient Egypt. There is an incredible wealth of detail about the place and the people of that time, which I really enjoyed reading, despite the somewhat wooden nature of some of the characters. In this novel, L. Bak is appointed to find out who killed an army man....because it turns out his father is important (major advisor to the Queen). As Bak investigates the victim's life, he gathers a complex portrait of a man some revered and some hated. Ba ...more
Jack
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it

I have found a new (well it is actually 15 years old) mystery series and it is set in ancient Egypt.

I am always thankful for authors who can handle all three - history, mystery and interesting characters.

Lauren Haney does a really good job -

From what I can tell from my own studies in ancient Egypt, Haney does a wonderful job of painting a time and place the is very accurate.

Top notch mystery - lots of suspects - lots of clues - and it all adds up to a satisfying read..

And finally, her c
Phair
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not as enjoyable as Robinson's Lord Meren series but OK. An awful lot of characters to keep straight so luckily the author included a 'cast list'. Bak, the central character, took a while to get to know although by the end I had gotten into the story much more. I will probably try another in this series one day.
Michael Edwards
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Lauren Haney is one of the three principal authors of ancient Egypt mysteries, and is very good at it. Her protaganist, Lt. Bak, is not royalty or nobility, and so has no access to many secrets that the other two series have. He has to do it by hard work in the middle of the Egyptian nowhere. Very well done, though just a hair plodding at times. Well worth reading the series.
Jeff Dickison
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good ancient Egyptian mystery as Lt. Bak must find who is plotting to kill a visiting king. The story gives an excellent overview of the daily lives of Egyptians during the 18th dynasty. Recommended.
Carol
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this read. It was a good read with a setting that I love. Great combination!
Denise
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Denise by: Deidre
Ancient Egyptian mystery. Cool!
Terri Luer
Aug 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Ancient Egypt plus mystery. FUN! Need I say more?
Bonnie
Oct 13, 2010 rated it liked it
I had a hard time getting into this book and never really got interested till I was about halfway through. I did end up liking it, but thought it was pretty average.
Martina
Read with the Historical Mystery Book Group
Mary Good
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it
The mystery was good. The characters were a bit flat. A lot of detail about day to day life in ancient Egypt, but somehow did not get feel of being there. Nevertheless, I plan to read next one.
Robert Muller
Lis
Jul 31, 2014
Jennr
Mar 18, 2012

• Murder at the God's Gate (Lord Meren, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Egyptian Whodunnits
  • Year of the Hyenas (Semerket, #1)
  • The Mask of Ra (Amerotke, #1)
  • The Oasis (Lords of the Two Lands, #2)
  • Nefertiti: The Book of the Dead (Rai Rahotep, #1)
  • Pillar of Fire
  • The Anubis Murders
  • For the Love of Philae
This is a pseudonym for Betty Winkelman.

Lauren Haney, a former technical editor in the aerospace and international construction industries, is the author of several ancient Egyptian mysteries featuring Lieutenant Bak. She lives in Sante Fe, New Mexico, and travels to Egypt at every opportunity.

Haney's novels have been published in German, English and French, and in the Czech Republic. The german e

Lieutenant Bak (8 books)
  • A Face Turned Backward (Lieutenant Bak, #2)
  • A Vile Justice (Lieutenant Bak, #3)
  • A Curse of Silence (Lieutenant Bak, #4)
  • A Place of Darkness (Lieutenant Bak, #5)
  • A Cruel Deceit (Lieutenant Bak, #6)
  • Flesh of the God (Lieutenant Bak, #7)
  • A Path of Shadows (Lieutenant Bak, #8)