Start by marking “Senior Year Bites (The Clanless, #1)” as Want to Read:
Senior Year Bites (The Clanless, #1)

Senior Year Bites

(The Clanless #1)

Senior year is supposed to be fun: boys, dances and graduation. It’s significantly harder to enjoy it when you’re dead.

Thanks to an innocent game of Truth or Dare, I wound up sleeping in a graveyard. Probably not the brightest thing I’ve ever done, but thanks to a couple of well-placed fangs, I’m here to tell the tale.

Vampires might stalk pop culture, but they’re just myth
Published July 7th 2014 by Untold Press (first published June 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Senior Year Bites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Senior Year Bites

Cassandra
My Thoughts - 4 out of 5 Unicorns - I really liked it!!!
***Received a copy of the ebook for an honest review

The cover definitely screams high school and vampire, so I like it :)

This is the first book in the series, and it is about 180ish pages long. This is a new author for me. I always try to read a mix of YA stuff just in case a student needs suggestions for something they might like to read.

This book started slow for me, but this is usually a me issue when I start a new series and trying to
Sophie
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky to read the first chapters of Senior Year Bites when it was still a WIP (Work in Progress)....and already, at that time, I wanted more. The final story was even better than I thought it would be. :)

I really like JA Campbell YA stories because her characters are not "IhatetheWorld-MylifeisHell-emo-camefrombrokenhome" teen clichés, but rather kids whose lifes have changed drastically and who are trying to cope and "grow up" through adversity. :)
Valerie
My summary:

Meg is facing her senior year in high school but she isn't worried about grades, boys and graduation like most senior are. No she's worried about keeping her secret from her mom, her friends, really from everyone. The secret that started the night she played truth or dare at her best friends party. Afraid of telling truths, she agreed to stay the night in the nearby graveyard. Attacked and left ... well dead, Meg survived the night figuring out slowly that her problems with sunlight a
Angela McPherson
It's been a bit since I've read a book dealing with vampires, but I'm glad I got to read this one. Senior Year Bites is a fun read. A fresh take on vampires and other supernatural creatures. Meg is a vampire, only she doesn't know how she got that way. Say what!? Yeah, I told you it was a fresh take. So, sunlight irritates the crap outta her, no she doesn't sparkle and yes she likes blood. The journey begins in the beginning of the story, so no hashing through crap in order to get to the good st ...more
Bea  Charmed
Amber
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, review
I wanted to read Senior Year Bites because I thought it would be similar to a YA version of Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires series, especially since it seemed like play on the second book, Friday Night Bites .

Overall, I enjoyed Senior Year Bites . It was a lot of fun and a really quick read. I stayed up a little late to finish reading it, because I wanted to see what happened. I had a few issues, but I still ended the book with a smile on my face.

Most of my problems were that there were
Jen Wylie
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
High school can be bad enough, but what if you're turned into a vampire too? I loved this novel, sort of a manual on how to deal with suddenly becoming a vampire in high school. How do you cope? What about your family and friends. Wonderful story on how to turn a bad situation into a good one. Vampires can be heroes too. Definitely recommend.
Alicia Huxtable
Not the worst

This is not the worst vampire story I've read but it's definitely not the best either. It had promise and a sturdy storyline but what really got me was the sudden acceptance with John, just believing what the group talks about.
J.A. Campbell
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: read-in-2011
Well, I gave it five stars cause it is mine. I think that's cheating, but I wanted it to have one rating :)
Gordon Howard
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Megan is a senior in high school and attends a slumber party with a group of high school friends. During the slumber party they decide to play 'Truth or Dare' and as a result, Megan must spend the night in a nearby graveyard. During her night at the graveyard she blacks out and wakes later with two very serious problems. Problem number one is that she is dead and problem number two is that she has fangs.

I really enjoyed this novel. Plenty of action throughout but the further into the novel you g
Karie
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was fun and gripping--the characters were great and the plot was tight. Meg is genuine and smart, Steph and Ann are great friends and their loyalty to each other was refreshing. The characters that Meg ended up meeting as a result of her transformation were unexpected and turned out to be pretty awesome--I loved the way her new friends rallied around her. The story has good layers and an excellent ending. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.

Gentle Reader Alert: There is some la
Sharon Smith
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This idea had potential but this book was lacking- thank goodness it was free.

The character development was weak, the story dove straight into the plot, and the plot itself was thin. The interactions between characters was weak and choppy. Also Ann’s character “quirk” of never using contractions would be more effective if she refused to use any contractions but she does. It makes her hard to relate to and unbelievable. The characters needed more individual voices.

That being said there were some
Nicole
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I guess I never added this one to my Goodreads list because I read a beta copy and it hadn't been added to GR yet. Still, I really enjoyed the book, and think it's about time for a re-read of the series.
Michael
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read

At first I wondered about this story but then I was pulled in and couldn't stop. It was a good and enjoyable read.
Mardel
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy or urban fantasy fans
Shelves: favorites
Senior Year Bites is a young adult fantasy novel by J.A. Campbell. Available in e-book form from Decadent Publishing, where you can find an excerpt. http://www.decadentpublishing.com/pro.......

I have to say, that I loved this novel. I usually don't rate young adult books - (I don't know why, I just haven't been) but I give this one six out of a possible six. I enjoyed everything about this book

Imagine being a young senior high school student. Hanging out with friends, two best friends, thinking
April Hollingworth
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review Courtesy of April Hollingworth

Senior Year Bites is the first book in the Clanless Series. It is a teen book but as an adult I seriously enjoyed and couldn’t put it down until I finished it. I’m looking forward to reading book 2 in the series.

Opening Scene:

I had plans for my last year of high school.

The Review:

Meg has just been turned into a vampire and is trying to deal with it, and keeping her school grades up. Admitting to her best friends Steph and Ann the truth about why she’s avoidin
April Hollingworth
Review Courtesy of April Hollingworth

Opening Scene:

I had plans for my last year of high school.

The Review:

Gayle Pace
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
REVIEW

This book is a fantasy novel by J.A. Campbell for YA. The reader goes back to being a high school senior. You might be hangin' with a couple of your best friends, dreaming about prom, doing that dreaded homework and scarfing down on junk food. Just a normal teenage. Megan goes to a sleepover and takes a\up a dare. Visit the cemetery at night. The all out dreaded dare. Megan goes to the cemetery and gets attacked. She makes it through the attack but doesn't remember much. She doesn't like t
Sabrina
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis :

Vampires might stalk pop culture, but they’re just myths, right? Yeah. Not so much…

Everything seems a lot more diff
Rusty Fischer
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What do you do when you find out you’re a vampire? Well, if you’re Meg, the heroine of J. A. Campbell’s YA novel, Senior Year Bites, you fight the darkness and work toward the light. Not the sunlight you can no longer stand, but the light that means you’re fighting for good.

When things don’t turn out exactly the way she planned at first, when the hunger is too strong to let her be any kind of “vampire superhero,” Meg does the next best thing and tries to solve the string of murders happening in
Jeremy Reppy
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable book. With Meg being turned into a vampire early in the book, I was expecting primarily a vampire story or at least more vampire characters. However, the author threw in multiple twists, introducing other "mythical" creatures into the story, along with a serial killer angle. I thought the characters were decently developed. It was interesting to see how Meg adjusted to her new life, in particular her struggle with having to drink blood but being disgusted by the concept, an ...more
Julie-anne
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the description of this book ages ago and have been impatiently waiting on the release, so I'm glad it's finally out and I was able to get my grubby little hands on it (figuratively since it's an E-Book). I really liked Meg and her friends and was pleasantly surprised by the ending.

One little thing that irked me (and it really was a tiny thing) was the way the characters "spoke". They don't use contractions when they speak. Since I tend to "act" the parts out in my head, this was hugely n
Stephanie
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oooo! This is one book I won't soon forget! The writing is flawless, engaging, and held me at the end of my seat page after page.

From the moment Meg awakes to the last period, JA Campbell took me on an adventure. Meg was a normal teen who is attacked when she answers a dare to sleep in the graveyard. What follows is an amazing journey as she grows into and learns her powers with a very unexpected tutor. I really enjoy vampires, and this particular novel wins the world for me simply because it do
Talk Books To Me
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What Angela though: 5 Stars

It’s been a bit since I’ve read a book dealing with vampires, but I’m glad I got to read this one. Senior Year Bites is a fun read. A fresh take on vampires and other supernatural creatures. Meg is a vampire, only she doesn’t know how she got that way. Say what!? Yeah, I told you it was a fresh take. So, sunlight irritates the crap outta her, no she doesn’t sparkle and yes she likes blood. The journey begins in the beginning of the story, so no hashing through crap in
Tammy Hall
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reading this book was a little like watching an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Only it wasn't the vampire they were slaying. Senior Year bites is a a book that will leave you on the edge of your seat gripping the arm rests wondering what is going to come at you next. I loved the realness of the characters and how the bonds of friendship felt real and genuine not forced. Meg the main character gets hit with a lot to deal with all at once but I thought she handled it very well with the help ...more
Kami
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it

Megan is a newly made vampire trying to hide her affliction from her mother and finish high school. I thought this book was really clever. The writing is really good. The pacing is good. The book starts with Megan already being a vampire, the explanation is short: she was playing truth or dare, spent the night in a graveyard, died and awoke a vampire. Then the story just moves on with Megan trying to go to school, hide from the sun and find someone to feed her hunger without getting caught. It b
sharon woods
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and well written

Read this book. Thats my advice.
I always worry about vampire books and tend to avoid them. They either seem to be all twinkly and overdone like the twilight series or dark and depressing like those of Anne Rice.
Its refreshing to find one where the heroine becomes the vampire yet manages to keep her sense of humour and carries on with her high school education.
The plot is intriguing, characters well rounded and it is very fast paced.
The only character who seems weak is
Aret
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have to say, I loved reading this book. I enjoyed this fresh new take on vampires...I loved the characters...it was just fun to read.

There was some action, lots of drama, a little romance, mystery, humor..just a lot of great components that make up a great, fun book to read!!

The main character Meg, is awesome, she wakes up one day a vampire with no idea how she got that way or by whom. She tries to keep it from her friends but falls flat.
Yasaida Rivera
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Joanne Thompson
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You think your senior year in high school was stressful? Try finding out that you're a vampire without knowing how, when or where it happened, and you were given no instructions. Thankfully you have accepting friends who help you understand your powers and help you to develop them. One day you're going to English class or sitting in the hallway eating lunch with your friends, and the next day you're saving those friends and yourself from the powerful and deadly Unseelie.

This book was a lot of fu
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Review Copies Available! 1 3 Jan 06, 2015 02:18PM
  • The Blue Eyes Trilogy Complete Collection (Blue Eyes, #1-3)
  • Shadow Allegiance (Unholy Alliance, #3)
  • Madison's Song (Cassie Scot #5)
  • Unholy Alliance (Unholy Alliance #1)
  • On the Edge (On the Edge, #1)
  • The Ancient Fae (The World of Fae, #4)
  • Beneath the Broken Moon: Part One (Broken, #1)
  • Shifting Hearts (Wiccan Haus, #1)
  • Lizzy Speare and the Cursed Tomb
  • Thomas (Le Beau Brothers, #4)
  • The Keeper and the Rune Stone (The Black Ledge Series, #1)
  • Warrior (Wolves of Angels Rest, #4)
  • Moon Crossed: The Complete First Season (Crescent Hunter #1)
  • Out of the Darkness (Taken by the Panther, #1)
  • Glass Frost (Frost, #2)
  • Shades of Dragon
  • Bear With Me (Jamesburg Shifters, #3)
  • Resisting the Cougar (Cascade Shifters, #2)
When Julie is not writing she's often out riding horses, or working sheep with her dogs. She lives in Colorado with her three cats, Kira and Bran, her border collies, her Traveler-in training, Triska, and her Irish Sailor. She is the author of many Vampire and Ghost-Hunting Dog stories the Tales of the Travelers series, and many other young adult books. She’s a member of the Horror Writers Associa ...more

The Clanless (2 books)
  • Summer Break Blues (The Clanless, #2)