Start by marking “Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)

Bright Side

(Bright Side #1)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  29,436 ratings  ·  5,268 reviews
Secrets.
Everyone has one.
Some are bigger than others.
And when secrets are revealed,
Some will heal you ...
And some will end you.

Kate Sedgwick’s life has been anything but typical. She’s endured hardship and tragedy, but throughout it all she remains happy and optimistic (there’s a reason her best friend Gus calls her Bright Side). Kate is strong-willed, funny, smart,
Published July 4th 2014 by Do Epic LLC

To ask other readers questions about Bright Side, please sign up.
Ethel Beckett Hi Laura, It's not your ordinary love story! I love it! I highly recommend for you to read especially if you like tear jerker books. The build up of…moreHi Laura, It's not your ordinary love story! I love it! I highly recommend for you to read especially if you like tear jerker books. The build up of the characters are good. The flow of the story is great. I felt Every.single.emotions in this book. The author will capture your heart and make you feel you were part of the story. Yes, it is one of those books that you want to be there and live in it. Have a box of tissue ready when you read this. I'm not gonna spoil anything for you but look at the bright side ;)(less)

·  29,436 ratings  ·  5,268 reviews

Christy
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-audio
5+ Do Epic stars!

photo caa54133-4b3f-4b31-b8fc-6289fe88802f_zps1jmeshmi.jpg
“We all have to fight to make the most of the life we're given.”

One of my co-bloggers/friends told me about this book when it was first released. It was her favorite book of last year and one of her favorite books of all time. I knew it would be good, but I dragged me feet when it came to reading it. Why you might ask? I
Tough Critic Book Reviews
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5~Stars

Dude, I can't even….

It has been days. Days!! I just can't, but I gotta. But I can't. I must.

Numbness. Feels. Overload.

It's impossible.

Here I go.

I'm going.

Okay.

So.

Maybe it would be best if I started at the beginning.

It all started as a goodreads recommendation….from Donna. Donna. The person I want to hug. Punch in the face. Hug. Punch. Damn you! You owe me valium…and ice cream. After the recommendation, I read the synopsis. Intriguing. I also lov/>Dude,
Candace
This book wrecked me! It was incredibly touching and heartfelt. Despite dealing with some rather depressing subject matter, it was handled with care. I can't say that I didn't cry big fat tears, but I can say that I smiled far more than I cried while reading this book. It was beautiful.

The heroine, Kate, moves from San Diego to Grant, Minnesota for college. Right off the bat, I loved her. It is easy to understand why her best friend, Gus, gave her the nickname "Bright Side". She is t
Seth King
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First of all: I get it.

To all the people out there who say they don’t like these types of books, books that make you hurt and feel and clutch your Kindle at 3 AM as tears blur your vision and you hope against hope that the character isn't headed towards what you think they're headed towards: I get it.

Life is hard. This world is a tough place. Crappy things are happening out there, things that break your heart on the evening news, and sometimes it’s easier to just drift al
Katy Loves Romance ❤️
6++++++ #DoEpic #BeBrave Stars

photo 513CCE02-A9CF-4904-8895-099E10317727_zps6gc1egix.jpg

Reading is my getaway, my sanctuary I have a busy life and don't we all? But reading is my Me time. I love reading and I have read a lot of books this year so far saying that no insults to anyone here but this has been my FAVOURITE Read of the year so far this book is a book of life and living, friendship LOVE all in one. I know that a lot know what the story entails but for those who don't I'm going to try my best to keep my thoughts as SPOILER FREE as possible.

Gah I'm speechle
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
3.5 stars!

description

I’ve been on an angst-fest/emotional kick lately so when I saw the blurb for Bright Side, I knew it was a book I wanted to read ASAP. Now that I’ve finished it, the first thing that popped up in my mind was well, that wasn’t what I expected. Honestly, if it wasn’t for the last 25% of the book that completely blew me away, I would’ve given this book 2 s
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦

➦I liked this book. I went in blind and it wasn't anything like I thought it would be. I'm definitely in the minority here and I won't be gushing over how beautiful the story was and such. Perhaps I just failed to connect to the heroine or may be I was just a bit torn up because of the whole awkward love triangle going on here.

➦I liked both Gus, heroine's best friend, and Keller, heroine's boyfriend. I just never really fell in love with either of them. Not to say that their character developme
Alexis *Reality Bites*
5 STARS out of 5
Genre: New Adult Romance

My my my…what a read! Slow easy beginning, AMAZINGLY beautiful ending! I did not give this book 5 STARS it SNATCHED the 5 STARS right out of my hands.

photo 85b3210b-888c-4737-93ed-7937ed5ff12c_zpsf5682e0c.jpg

photo brightsidefinalpic3_zps3b1e5f09.jpg

Kate Sedgwiit
Polly
May 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: emo, challenge-read
If there was ever a book that proved I have a black heart, it's this one.
I felt nothing. I was bored.
M. ~ B&B
So I finished this and I am not impressed.

You know that feeling that you get when you read the first line or the first chapter of the book and you just know you are going to love what you're reading and never want to put it down? Yeah, Bright Side had the opposite effect. I started reading and I was like, okay, maybe this could be good, but the writing is a bit off. Then I read a few more chapters and was like, okay, where is this going... (from the beginning I already figured out the pr
Jennifer Kyle
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cry-baby-books
3.75 Sunset Stars

"My life will not be a fairy tale, and that's okay. My life is reality."

description

After very slowly reaching the 70 percent mark I had put this book aside feeling that the rest of the story would be anticlimax.

So many friends have read this book in full and just loved it so I went back in today. Upon my completion, I will say the overall message isn't anything we haven't heard or read before but somewhere in the delivery and beautiful way Katie touched those around her was.

"She's not the poster child fStars
Beverly
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I started this book by audio and finished the last 30% in my living room reading and balling my freaking eyes out until 2:00 am.

This book is so much more than 5 stars, it makes me question most of my 5 star ratings because it just MORE. I loved this book on a level I can't describe. Bright Side made me grateful for the life I have been given, it broke my heart imagining the struggles of other people around me, and it made me want to be a better person.

Bright Side isn't just a book or a charact
*TANYA*
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-again
Im sorry! I’m a bonafide book crier, there’s no shame in my game. I felt NOTHING!!! I tried. My tear ducts were as dry as the Sahara Desert. And I had been wanting to read this book for forever. I was more interested in the songs which most were made up, than the plot. I had to push myself to finish. I seriously wanted to DNF this book.
Bibi
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Phew...

I thought the story had several aspects that felt forced and inorganic, nevertheless, I was completely invested in Kate (aka Bright Side); although not so much the numerous side characters as they felt like props whose main function was to make “Bright Side” look all bright, sunny, and perfect.

I will say that the strongest part of the story was the last quarter of the book, which had me in tears. Definitely worth reading, but be prepared to do some serious eye-rolling and frequent “oh, come on, sh/>
I
Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog
*****FIVE STARS*****

Here are my overall ratings:

Heroes: 5+++++
Chemistry Between Hero & Heroine: 5+++++
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing

5 ‘do epic ‘ stars

‘Regret just leads to second-guessing and anger and sadness and I sure as hell can’t afford any of those.’

I. AM. NUMB! As I sit here wiping the tears off my keyboard I’m at a loss for words, and hours after finishing Bright Side, I’m still an emotional mess. This story made me swoon, it made my heart soar, it made me laugh, it made me sob, it devastated me and it inspired me and it wrecked me!

I inhaled Bright Side in one sitting and when it was over, I was left staring into space and I’m not really sure how to adequateherethose.’
I.stars
‘Regret
warhawke
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like light/funny ugly crying book
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Type: Standalone
POV: First Person - Dual
Rating:

Kate Sedgwick moved to a new small town for her college education. With her bright, bubbly personality, she could charm just about anyone. Still, she never really opened up to anyone other than her best friend Gustov (Gus) Hawthorne.

Keller Banks was pretty hard to resist with his good looks and adoring personality. Both he and Kate were attracted to each other yet they tried to resist the pull because both of them have secrets big enough to push them apart.

While dark bookDual
Rating:Standalone
POV:Romance
Type:
Jaela
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
"If you start a book and a couple of chapters in you decide you just aren't into it that's one thing, but once you reach the halfway point, there's no turning back"

This books would probably have been a 4-4.5 star rating if it wasn't for its first 50%, which had me continuously

AND THE WORD DUDE, really!?? DUDE?? It shows up 195 times(yes, I counted!!).
I hated every time one of the characters said "dude". I would add 2 more stars, but that effing word cheapened so much this book.

If I were to describe each half of the book with an expression, ittimes(yes,
Rachel Reads Ravenously
So, I don't think I could ever pick a rating on this book. The numbers 1-5 are too simplistic of a way to describe my feelings on this book so I won't rate it. Don't know if I ever will.

I also don't really know how to review this, but I'll try and say something short. This book had exactly the opposite effect on me that it had on other readers. Instead of being uplifting, I found it so incredibly sad and after finishing it, it left me in such a depressed mood. Please do not read the
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bright Side by Kim Holden
5 breathtaking stars!!!

“Today, my life is awesome.”

This book is up there on my favourite reads of 2014, hell even up there on my favourite reads of ALL TIME! Yes it is seriously that good. This is a book that I couldn’t put down, not for one measly second. Once I started I couldn’t stop and once I had finished I was completely and utterly devastated. I was not ready for this book to end, I just wanted more.

The writing style is fluid, beautiful, emo/>
Fares
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5

Well I got my answer, happy and ignorant Fares is gone, replaced by a sad looking lump of mixed emotions. Actually come to think of it I've always been that :)
But this book is sadly positive, and while I feel sad I also feel happy. Confusing? Yes that's me.

------------------------------------------------
I just want to point out that I know nothing about this one, so right now I feel happy and ignorant :) I wonder what will I feel after finishing.

Buddy
Natalie ✩★ The Biblioholic ★✩
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of tear-jerkers
I realize that I'm in the minority with giving this book below 5 stars but I couldn't help it. I'm a huge fan of a happily-ever-after. Nuff said.

As beautifully written as the story was, and it was beautiful, unfortunately my heart was broken beyond repair. And as much as I loved Gus, I can't find the will to read his book. Love should never die. Ever. Reading his book would be like contradicting that and I just can't.

Yes I loved Kate. Her personality made even me happy. H
Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
5 “And I still want to be Kate when I grow up” Stars

“GO, DO EPIC”

Buddy-read with this charming boy who accepted to be my buddy-reads-partner for life and he totally has cheated on me already.

HOW I FEEL ABOUT THIS BOOK:
description

FINALLY AFTER A MILLENIUM I HAVE WROTE A REVIEW.

*Takes a deep breath, cracks her fingers, close her eyes.*

I hope this review makes justice to the EPICNESS this story is. I am so nervous because this is a book I really wantclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
FINALLYalready.
HOWStars
“GO,
Andie
I decided to pick up Bright Side after hearing many gushing reviews and being recommended as a tearjerker. I was in need of a good cry so this was a no brainer. But it's SO much more than that. This story has moved and inspired me. I'm not going to talk about the plot whatsoever because that's for everyone to discover and enjoy on their own.

In all honesty, I was moving pretty slowly at first. I wasn't sure where the story was going, if anywhere. Then close to halfway... BAM! Everything is put
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
The heart of this book is to never take anything for granted. Enjoy every moment...every hug and every kiss, bask in the good and lessen the bad. And you never really realize the impact you have on those around you.

And the heart of this book is all things Kate. She epitomizes everything I just said...and that's saying a lot. She's had a horrible childhood but her saving grace was her sister, Gracie, and her best friend, Gus. Now, she's moved to Minnesota for college and to get a fresh start.

description
(Thanks Jeanne for the gif!)

In the beginning, the book is s-l-o-w. It's written in a day by day format, so it takes a while for things to start happening. At first, it was a little boring but then I realized that we needed to really know Kate and what she was about. Also, there's a lot we don't know and that drove me crazy.

Add to the mix a great group of characters...some of my favorites are:

Gus is her best friend and has grown up with Kate. They have a lot in common and you soon find out the depths of Gus' feelings. It's hard not to pull for him but...it's complicated. I really enjoyed him but I was going to scream every time she wrote about him smoking...enough already!

Keller becomes very important to Kate. I loved seeing how their relationship developed but he has some secrets of his own. My heart went out to him though to have to go through it x2.

("It's showtime.")

I wish we had gotten to know more about Shelly? She also has some secrets but I loved how Kate was chipping away at things.

Clayton was a real sweetie. I felt horrible at the things he went through but I was glad Kate was there for him. And Morris was too.

So what about the romance and the steaminess? Well, I can only tell u a bit about it...just suffix it to say there is some. I would've like a lot more but it is what it is. I do think having the different POVs helped to get more understanding of the feelings involved.

And that leaves us with this:

or maybe this is you...

description

then again, you might just feel like this...

description

But I think most people will get at least a little teary eyed.

Overall, I enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it if you want an emotional read. There is another book coming out in 2015... I won't say who it's about since it was a spoiler for me but I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Favorite quotes:

♥ "Dude, you haven't been replaced. No one spoons like you do."

♥ "Facebook is the decline of civilization as we know it."

♥ "Goddammit, Bright Side, I think the big boy pants worked."

♥ "You are brave."

♥ "Do epic."

♥ "She doesn't just look on the bright side. She lives there."

♦ BR w/the BR group!
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
Kate grew up believing that she needed to take care of everybody...[her mother, sister, friends, strangers],...
She had an exceptional disposition about life... with no regrets. Tragedies included.

A 20 year best friend relationship, a passionate ‘in-love’ relationship, college friends,
music, and values on life,
are at the heart of this story.

Sappy - sweet - sad -
- intimate storytelling!

This is another one of those books where I can understand high rating reviews —
Dee Montoya
*****5++ Epic Stars*****

If this book were a person I would want to hug it so, so hard, maybe even go on vacations with it, go dancing and even tell it all of my secrets. Bight Side is a beautiful and uplifting story that I will never, ever forget. <3

photo a49b875a-b254-46b6-a0c6-c621fe65a01f_zpsjw5ruhjp.jpg

Kate Sedgwick is the kind of girl who lives her life on the Bright Side, always looking for the positive in every situation
Michelle
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 01-signed
This is the story of Kate. Kate and the world that she creates around her, the world that makes your life a little bit better because you know her. Because she smiled at you and it brightened your day. It’s a story about life, love and friendship. About being brave and living the life you were given; making the best of it. No matter what.

Kate is heading to Minnesota from sunny California to attend college. Leaving behind Gus, her best friend for the Grant College Experience. *Fist Pump* Between
Arabella ~♡AB♡~
3.5 Epic Stars

This book is about love. Love between friends, family, lovers, its book about how good it is to have amazing people in your life. I wouldn't say it's a romance novel, for me it really didn't feel like it was and that is the only reason I didn't rate it higher. It took a good 60% of the book to reach the romance part.

Kate is known to her best friend Gus as 'Bright Side', she really is an amazing character, she is positive and cheery pretty much all of the time and will do/>
Signed Book (and Swag) Auction! 1 5 Oct 01, 2017 04:47PM
The Challenge Fac...: Alessia & Avi - Bright Side 28 21 Jun 06, 2016 08:34PM
Turning Pages At ...: Bright Side by Kim Holden 75 66 Aug 20, 2015 12:25AM
Young Adult Conte...: Bright Side by Kim Holden - Starting February 4, 2015 52 69 Aug 17, 2015 07:05AM
The Challenge Fac...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Vicci & Sadie - Bright Side 17 19 Jun 28, 2015 06:34AM
Gus is LIVE!!!! 7 110 May 26, 2015 06:48PM

• Running Barefoot
  • Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • Where One Goes (Where One Goes, #1)
  • Time Stands Still (Emi Lost & Found, #2)
  • All In (Full Tilt, #2)
  • Unlit Star
  • His Wounded Light (The Light in the Wound, #2)
  • Into the Light (Chosen Paths, #1)
  • Therapy (Therapy #1)
  • The Story of Us (Carnage, #1)
  • When It Rains (Rains, #1)
  • Fighting Redemption
  • Nine Minutes (Nine Minutes, #1)
  • All the Pieces (Pieces of Lies, #3)
  • Ten Below Zero
  • F*ck Love
  • The Summer Remains (The Summer Remains, #1)
  • Playing in the Rain
Some of my favorite things: reading, writing, the two coolest guys on the planet (my husband and son), my bicycle (my husband built it for me), Facebook (I'm fairly certain it's an addiction at this point), iced coffee (hazelnut), and music (LOVE Sunset Sons, the 1975, Dredg, the xx, Balance and Composure, Teenage Bottlerocket, and 30 Seconds to Mars). I also love dreaming, which brings me to my n ...more

Bright Side (3 books)
  • Gus (Bright Side, #2)
  • Franco (Bright Side, #3)
“Reading is an escape from the outside world. Everyone needs a little of that to keep their sanity.” 254 likes
“Today, my life is awesome.
I don’t want to think about tomorrow.
Or the day after that.
So I repeat to myself: Today, my life is awesome.
176 likes