Start by marking “The Other Side of the Mountain” as Want to Read:
The Other Side of the Mountain

The Other Side of the Mountain

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  158 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Published April 1st 2007 by Cherokee Publishing Company (GA) (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side of the Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side of the Mountain

Gregor Xane
Jun 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Another book where you're better off not knowing anything about it before you read it. Don't read the synopsis on the back of the book. Don't read reviews. Just read it.
Jack Wolfe
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this in Jeff and Ann Vandermeer's "The Weird," which has a whole bunch of great eerie shit. This tale in particular stands out because, one, it's long (the size of a novella, anyway) and, two, it's got a superabundance of weirdness, even by the standards of that collection. It begins on a ship (cuz the narrator wakes up and, BOOM, he's on a ship) and ends... in a dream? It's not written in the hazy, crazy style favored by many interpreters of dreams; Bernanos writes elegantly but to-the- ...more
Nomadman
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Other Side of the Mountain is a relentless, hallucinatory piece of weirdness that's up there with some of the best weird fiction I've ever read. Like Hodgson's The House on the Borderland it almost defies description; in fact, any summary of the plot is besides the point. Rather, it acquires its force by a remorseless accumulation of horror that has the effect of almost convincing you to accept the hideous suffering of its protagonists as a normal state of existence.

Bernanos was apparently
Mario Rufino
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lido há muitos anos. Causou imenso impacto. Não volto ao livro. Há lugares onde nos arriscamos a não ser felizes duas vezes.
Jonfaith
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Call it Casual Friday. I took a break from Balzac and Laura Warholic. Last week when I completed The Collaborators I began reading reviews of French authors mentioned in the novel. Georges Bernanos was one of the authors making an appearence. The local library didn't have any works by him, but it did have one by his son, Michel: The Other Side of the Mountain.

A quick glance at reviews told me to read no further or even browse the synopsis on the novel's cover, but to simply read it.

It is bleak a
Adam
Jun 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: urbana-library, weird
A dull slog of suffering through a series of unrelated events and imagery with no character, imagination, or tone. I wouldn't be so hard on it if it were shorter but it's the longest story in The Weird so far but its offerings are less satisfying than many much shorter stories, even the older ones (though it isn't hard reading compared to some of them). It made sense to me to include stuff like this for its influence earlier in the book but this is well into the part of the chronology with good ...more
D.D. Price
I discovered this little gem of a novella in the Weird, an anthology on weird fiction compiled by Jeff and Ann Vandermeer. I would say it falls under a traditional form of weird fiction in a similar mold to stuff like The Willows (Algernon Blackwood), House on the Borderlands (William Hope Hodgson) and the Mainz Psalter (Jean Ray). Although I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as the aforementioned works this story can still stand well on its own among the pantheon of the best weird fiction because i ...more
Tracey
A bit about the Author and book: "The Other Side of the Mountain" (La montagne morte de la vie) is known by some as a rare Euro-flavored oddity. Written by Michel Bernanos, the son of French novelist and essayist Georges Bernanos, considered one of the most original Roman Catholic writers of his time. Michel Bernanos writings are a stark contrast to his father's works, which were more faith-minded. Bernanos wrote thrillers and an adventure novel under pseudonyms, (Michael Talbert and Michel Drow ...more
Goutam
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
বনধু ষষঠ পাণডব আমাকে বলেছিলেন, "একটা অনুরোধ করি। যদি এর মধযে পড়ে না থাকো তাহলে এক রাতে এক বসায় 'পরবতের ওপারে' বইটা পড়ে ফেলো। পড়ার মধযে চা-পানি খাবার জনয উঠো না। পড়া শেষ হলে বুঝবে কেন এই অনুরোধটা করেছিলাম"। তখন সতযিকার অরথেই এই অনুরোধের মাজেজা বুঝিনি।

বইটি পড়া শুরু করার পর থেকে দেখি মোটামুটি অরধেকের বেশি অংশের কাহিনীর সাথে পরিচিত। মাছ ধরা জাহাজের উততাল সমুদর পাড়ি দেবার কাহিনী কিংবা গুপতধন সংগরহ করতে যাওয়া বা বাণিজযের উদদেশযে তরী ভাসানোর এসব কাহিনী নানা বইতে পড়েছি; এমনকি মাসুদ রানারও দুয়েকটা কাহিনী
Rivière Cécile
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantasmagorique à souhait, une écriture déliée qui accompagne ce récit de matelots perdus dans cette montagne qui ne semble appartenir à la Terre et des descriptions de cette nature envahissante et violente incroyables.
Ma chronique sur mon blog c'est par ici : https://akathegirlwhoreads.wordpress....
Juan Carlos
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¿Alucinación? ¿sueño? Una narración extraña y bizarra, muy bien escrita con un gran final.
Ronald
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: weird-fiction
I first learned about this book while reading the anthology _The Weird_. I have now just completed reading the novella _The Other Side of the Mountain_ at the public library.

Written in a simple style, the narrator recounts a strange journey. In the first part of the book, recounting the journey on a ship, the terrors are naturalistic: bullying from his fellow sailors, starvation, mutiny, cannibalism, a terrific storm. The only ones to survive are the narrator, who was 18 years old at the time, a
E.J.
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Abstract, surreal, and a nightmare, but absolutely worth the read. There's a newer edition (2007) out with a different cover than the one published by Houghton Mifflin in 1968. It's already on GoodReads here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2266967.The_Other_Side_of_the_Mountain You can read a good description and review of the book here: http://weirdfictionreview.com/2011/11/michel-bernanos-the-other-side-of-the-mountain-sin-destruction-and-forgiveness/.
Jeff
Aug 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really understand this weird little book, and it was not interesting enough to me to spend a lot of time thinking about it or reading other discussions of it. It seemed to be an existentialist dream about the struggle to survive in this cruel world. I might have been more into it at age 16 or 20.

Giving it three stars for the memorable imagery, but I can't say I really liked this too much.
Nathaniel
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A very quick and well written read (took me one day during my commute). I had no idea what this book was about, and I think it was better that way. A great harrowing tale that I could not stop thinking about before going to bed, reliving the tale over and over in my head. As one reviewer mentioned, you can guess where the book is going around 3/4 through, but it is hard to put it down.
Amy Faurote
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This small volume was overwhelming. The details and descriptions were vibrant and concise. Maddening! The ending pissed me off. I am considering writing a new ending! I recommend this book. It taught me much and made me nuts.
Stephen
Jul 26, 2010 rated it liked it
A generally compelling, certainly harrowing, wacky and spooky quick read, but it ultimately hits some false notes and becomes pretty predictable.
Rūta Kazlauskaitė-Gürbüz
A haunting allegory. I can only second what others have already pointed out: do not read the reviews and plunge right into the story.
Evie
Jul 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Written simply, but leaves an impression. Quick and enjoyable.
Oliver
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Peculiar little novel that reads like an adventure tale on hallucinogens. Very readable and odd. Great use of 'red'
Stephanie.
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stephanie. by: Cameron
Shelves: fiction, borrowed, 2008
One of the best novellas I have ever read. Was passed onto me by a friend, and enjoyed hugely.
J.B.
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the strangest stories I have ever read. Metacrazy in that the writer when crazy and killed himself. If this came from his mind I can understand.
Rick Claypool
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This pulp fiction-y high seas adventure of friendship and struggle turns terrifyingly strange and ultimately devastating at its conclusion. A quick read. Highest recommendation.
Mary
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Surreal bizarre novella...great to read with a bottle of wine in a hammock on a summer day and then just kind of walk around in a haze.
Vladimir
  • The Bitch Goddess Notebook
  • The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories
  • The Seventh Horse And Other Tales
  • Black Wine
  • Three Jacobean Tragedies: The White Devil; The Revenger's Tragedy; The Changeling
  • Geeks: How Two Lost Boys Rode the Internet Out of Idaho
  • A Small Circus
  • Flight, Vol. 4 (Flight, #4)
  • Conquered City