Start by marking “A Wee Murder in My Shop (Scotshop Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Wee Murder in My Shop (Scotshop Mystery, #1)

A Wee Murder in My Shop

(ScotShop Mystery #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  693 Ratings  ·  152 Reviews
FIRST IN A NEW SERIES!

Hamelin, Vermont, isn’t the most likely place for bagpipes and tartan, but at Peggy Winn’s ScotShop, business is booming…

Published March 3rd 2015 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Wee Murder in My Shop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wee Murder in My Shop

Teri-K
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
These days there are so many cozy mysteries they all feel pretty much alike. This one fits the mold - young, single business owner, quirky friends and relations, small town, handsome cop... The difference here is the ghost, a Scotsman the MC acquired along with an ancient shawl on a visit to Scotland. I enjoyed him a lot - he adds some fun and occasionally makes the MC look like a nut to her friends.

The mystery wasn't a huge part of the story, it's much more about our heroine and her friends, b
Jonathan
Really 4.5 stars but I rounded up.

I'd heard some not-so-great things about this book, but I'm extremely pleased to say that this book was excellant!

The mystery was good, I suspected who it was, but it was still a surprise in the end.

I loved the characters they were all well-rounded without being obnoxious, and I can see some room for growth in a few of the secondary characters. I loved the ghost, but at the same time he was slightly overbearing during parts with Harper, the love interest.

The onl
Trish
I liked the idea behind this one (kind of ghostly Outlander in reverse), but I felt it was rather repetitive and I got a bit tired of the whole having to explain words to a ghost and people thinking she was nuts thing.
Alice
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I want a ghost. Preferably a hunky Scottish one in a kilt. I blame Fran Stewart for this.

A Wee Murder in My Shop is light, fun, humorous, and made for a long sunny afternoon. Or a long rainy evening. I started it during the former and finished it during the latter. Peggy Winn and her ghost Macbeth (not THAT Macbeth) made me laugh more than once.

And then there's the murder. If ever a character deserved to be murdered, Peggy's cheating ex-boyfriend did. Which reminds me, he's responsible for one o
Kristen
Jul 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
I tried to like this, really, I did. I even gave it way longer to try to convince me than I usually do with a book that isn't grabbing me, but at the halfway mark I just was done so I gave up on this.

First off, it starts REALLY slowly with the murder not even happening until well into the story. Peggy's trip to Scotland bored me out of my mind, waiting for something, ANYTHING to happen. Even when she acquires a ghost [which isn't a spoiler, the blurb talks about it] the whole thing felt anti-cli
Roberta Franklin
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you care for a whacky mystery/ghost story with a lot of fun and a clever plot, this one’s just right for you… I had a GREAT time reading “A Wee Murder in My Shop”!
Peggy owns a Scottish shop in a village in Vermont; in order to get over her breakup with her unfaithful boyfriend, she goes on one of her shopping trips to Scotland to find merchandise for her shop at home. She finds a very old tartan shawl – and on a mountain trip the next day, she also finds a 600-year old ghost who claims the sh
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Peggy owns a shop in Vermont that carries all things Scottish. She takes a trip to Scotland to pick up some authentic items for her shop and finds an old Tartan shawl that she buys for herself. She soon finds out that the shawl is haunted by the ghost of a man who was in love with the lady who use to own the shawl several centuries ago.

She thought when she left Scotland that the ghost would stay there but it travels where ever the tartan goes and so now she has her own resident ghost living wit
Laurie
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A great idea that was not executed very well.
Jennifer Collins
Anticlimactic.

The ending felt rushed. Almost as if the author was sick of her own story?
The romances were stiff at best.
The beginning held such promise.
The best part was the ghost and the mystery shop. Oh, and the MCs time with the Sinclair's.
I liked the educational stuff, but some of it, a bit of it, just felt like facts added from a quick Google search.
None of the characters were lovable, or even memorable... Mayhap the twin brother?
Didn't feel like it could be a true story. I get it, it's fic
Debbie Maskus
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
A Wee Murder in My Shop by Fran Stewart falls under the cozy mystery category, which is nice, but sometimes tiresome. Stewart employs many Scottish words and sayings that the reader does not understand. The fact that a very old ghost stands as one of the main characters fall sadly to oblivion. This is not the tale of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, but a sad attempt to bring history into the novel. Plus, the main character, Peggy Winn, has relatives everywhere---working for her and as best friends. Peg ...more
Anne
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the best first in a series I've read in a while. Hope the other books hold up as well. I love the wee ghostie. And the haunted shawl. Hope some answers are forthcoming. But who knows the rules right?
Linnea
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-in-series
Loved the ghost but dragged a bit with storyline
LORI CASWELL
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015

Dollycas’s Thoughts

Peggy Winn’s ScotShop is in Vermont but each year she travels to Scotland in search of new vendors with new and unique items to sell. On her recent trip to the Highlands she comes home with much more than new connections and a new shawl. She discovers a 14th century Scotsman has traveled home with her, well his ghost has. Not quite sure what to do with her new Scottish “friend” she decides to make the best of it. When a dead body is found in her shop she quickly realizes this
☕ Kimberly
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humor, Murder and a fourteenth-century Scotsman provided an entertaining mystery.

Peggy Winn owns a Scotshop in Hamelin, Vermont where they sell everything from dragons to tartan kilts. While on a transatlantic trip to Scotland in search of authentic wares for her shop she ends up buying an enchanted tartan shawl. It comes complete with a specter.

When Peggy returns to Vermont, things get interesting when she discovers the dead body of her ex-boyfriend in her shop. Things get more complicated by
Barb
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hamelin, Vermont, isn't the most likely place for bagpipes and tartan, but at Peggy Winn's ScotShop, business is booming.
While on a transatlantic hunt for some authentic wares to sell at her shop, Peggy is looking to forget her troubles by digging through the hidden treasures of the Scottish Highlands. With so many enchanting items on sale, Peggy can’t resist buying a beautiful old tartan shawl. But once she wraps it around her shoulders, she discovers that her purchase comes with a hidden fee:
April
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Peggy heads to Scotland for a buying trip. While in Pitlochry, she visits a shop she has never seen before and buys a handmade tartan shawl that is hundreds of years old. The first time she wears it she encounters a ghost of a Scotsman from 1349. He follows her home to Hamlin, Vermont. Peggy has a shop in town called Scotshop.
Her first morning back she finds a large bookcase knocked over and her ex-fiancé dead underneath. Thus begins the mystery. Peggy tries to find out what is happening but the
Angela Holland
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I loved this first book in this new series. For me it was the Scottish aspect that drew me in first then the ghost part was an added bonus. I liked that part of the book took part in Scotland and wished a little more of it was there but the fact that the Scotsman ghost comes back with Peggy is pretty fun. Poor Peggy trying to talk to her ghost without people really knowing what she was doing - it was kind of fun to listen to but I did feel bad for her. I love all things Scottish so all the littl ...more
Patrizia
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 stelle e 1/2 abbondantissime.
Peggy ritorna da un viaggio di lavoro in Scozia (possiede un negozio di articoli scozzesi in una cittadina americana dove sembra di vivere in Scozia) con... il fantasma di un highlander del XIV secolo! La maggior parte del libro, che è anche la più carina, passa coi dialoghi fra i due, fra fraintendimenti di cose dette e spiegazioni a Dirt (così è stato ribattezzato il fantasma) di quelle che per lui sono novità o cose inusitate.
La parte gialla ha in sé un altro mi
Mystereity Reviews
More like 2.5 stars. A Wee Murder In My Shop had a cute idea and an interesting plot involving murder, greed and a time traveling Scottish ghost. Cute, and not bad for the first in a series, but needed some extensive editing. It took 3 chapters just for the MC to find the body because all the characters were standing around talking about nonsense. The MC indulges in too much inner dialogue, and the Scots dialogue got old after awhile.

Pared down, this could be one lean, mean cozy mystery machine
❂ Jennifer
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Good enough to make me want to read the second book and the murder was well-plotted: the clues were there to figure it out but they were subtle so early solutions weren't easily telegraphed to the reader. I liked the ghost and enough mystery surrounded him that there'll be something to learn in future books. I'll definitely read the next one.

Full review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/113911...
Nora-adrienne
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love books with a Scottish theme to them. This one takes the cake. We have a sort of befuddled shop owner who brings home from a buying trip to Scotland a 600+ yr old wrap with a ghost attached to it. Her cheating ex boyfriend is found dead in her shop and from there it all takes off like a shuttle launch.

I can't wait for the next book in the series to come out.
Sallee
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
First in the ScottShop mystery series, I found this one much more enjoyable than the second in the series. Peggy, the main character is much kinder and more likeable that she was in the sequel. The story was great and well plotted and kept my attention. I will be looking forward to seeing how the next one turns out.
Elizabeth Butcher
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Aside from the ghost's (yes, ghost) highly annoying habit of constantly butting into conversations asking for things to be explained, I enjoyed this first book in a new series once I got into it. I hope that the author cuts down on this nonsense in the next book.
Amanda
Feb 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Unfinished! I can't finish this. I'm not liking the characters or the story at all. The only real interesting character, Dirk the Scottish ghost, is fun. But he hasn't been giving anything to do here. I'm a little over half way, and this book is just not for me.
Kathy
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
In a cozy mystery the amateur detective is supposed to try to solve the case. There is precious little detecting going on in this one. It reads more like chic lit with a ghost thrown in. Very disappointing.
Daniele
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
More like 2.5 stars

I'm willing to give the second book a chance when it comes out, but I am not impressed with this first in the series. The premise is great, but there were many loose ends and not much from the ghost. I really wanted to like this....
Holly
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great new series. I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Dawn Frazier
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, I thought it was a lot of fun. I really liked the characters, I will definitely read the second book coming out.
Brenda at MyShelf
great first in series. humor abounds. . a must read.
Whitney
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I randomly pulled this book from the local library shelf after the title/spine caught my eye (OK, OK, and the little scotty dog logo on the cover didn't hurt its chances either) . I read the premise and figured I'd give another scottish-focused cozy a try. The library-gods were smiling upon me that day apparently. What a pleasing find!
This series is not set in Scotland really, but in a little Scottish shop in Vermont. There were some scot bits sprinkled throughout the book, but for some reason
  • Off Kilter (Scottish Highlands, #1)
  • The Skeleton Haunts a House (Family Skeleton Mystery, #3)
  • A Killing Notion (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery, #5)
  • The Calamity Café (Down South Café Mystery #1)
  • Reading Up a Storm (Lighthouse Library Mystery #3)
  • Murder Ties the Knot (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Wishing Well (Aunt Dimity Mystery #19)
  • Suspendered Sentence (An Amish Mystery, #4)
  • Ghost to the Rescue (Bailey Ruth #6)
  • Murder in the Mystery Suite (Book Retreat Mysteries, #1)
  • Cloche and Dagger (Hat Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Scandal in Skibbereen (County Cork, #2)
  • The Perfectly Proper Paranormal Museum (Perfectly Proper Paranormal Museum #1)
  • Death Is Like a Box of Chocolates (A Chocolate Covered Mystery #1)
  • That Old Flame of Mine (Sweet Pepper Fire Brigade Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Man Walker (A Consignment Shop Mystery #3.5)
Author of the Biscuit McKee Mystery Series and the ScotShop Mysteries. Lives with various rescued cats beside a creek on the other side of Hog Mountain GA.

ScotShop Mystery (3 books)
  • A Wee Dose of Death (ScotShop Mystery #2)
  • A Wee Homicide in the Hotel (ScotShop Mystery #3)