Start by marking “Assault and Pepper (A Spice Shop Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Assault and Pepper (A Spice Shop Mystery, #1)

Assault and Pepper (A Spice Shop Mystery #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  1,504 Ratings  ·  281 Reviews
The Agatha Award-winning author of Crime Rib is proud to introduce Pepper Reece, the owner of the Seattle Spice Shop who thinks she can handle any kind of salty customer—until a murderer ends up in the mix…

After leaving a dicey marriage and losing a beloved job in a corporate crash, Pepper Reece has found a new zest for life running a busy spice and tea shop in Seattle’s P
Published March 3rd 2015 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Assault and Pepper, please sign up.
Christinna No, it's boring. Way, way boring. The author has spent more time describing various spice combinations than she has on developing the main characters…moreNo, it's boring. Way, way boring. The author has spent more time describing various spice combinations than she has on developing the main characters in the book. I nearly fell asleep in the first 12 minutes. That is never a good sign. (less)

Linda Langford at Chatting About Cozies
Mouth-wateringly aromatic and refreshing story! Leslie Budewitz takes readers on a scenic sight-seeing tour through Seattle's Pike Place Market, while spicing things up with a satisfying cozy mystery. The setting is marvelous--I want to go there right now and visit every shop and sample-test to my taste buds delight! Pepper Reece shines as the lead character; caring and committed to her business and her fellow Market residents. The cast is eclectic and likeable. "Assault and Pepper" is a charmin ...more
Dawn Frazier
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the new Spice Shop mysteries, I was lucky enough to win an ARC. What a great book! Pepper Reece owns a busy spice and tea shop in Pike Place Market in Seattle. She is also dealing with a divorce, and her ex wont leave her alone. She thinks she might have found a new love interest in Alex, who also works in the Pike Place Market. But when a body is discovered in the doorway of her shop, and one of her employees, Tory, is accused of the murder, she must find out what happ ...more
Carol
Welcome to Seattle Marketplace!!!
This is where Pepper Reece bought the Seattle
Spice Shop near her loft apartment. This was to
start her new life after she caught her husband
cheating on her and got divorced. Then Pepper
lost her job when the law company went under.
So now she owns and runs the Spice Shop.
It as interesting learning about all the spice
mixtures Pepper and her staff combined together.
My mouth as watering as the description was so
vivid and real.
Pepper who befriends the homeless finds a n
Lj
Aug 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
Maybe if I read this on a beach or maybe if I hadn't been listening to the audio version this might have been a good book. Undeveloped characters, too much description of spices and the shop that didn't add to but took away from the story, which wasn't much of a story. The author needed to get in and establish something of interest, instead she bought new shoes and contemplated changing what seemed a nice spice shop with ambiance into a slick business that even a hipster wouldn't want to enter.
I
Linda
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: bingo, challenge
3.5 stars. This is the first book in the spice shop series and we are introduced to Pepper’s world in the Seattle marketplace. This one seemed to start out a little slow for me but was overall an enjoyable read for me. I liked the setting and characters and the mystery kept me guessing and my top suspect wound up being guilty. Recipes included in the back.
Tina at A COZY GIRL READS AND WRITES Blog
I never expected when I OPENED Assault and Pepper and started reading that I would develop a deep love and affection for these characters but that is exactly what happened.

There's Pepper she runs Seattle's Spice SHOP. You can taste the scrumptious and warming tea as the author beautiflly describes the different taste sensations and spices they each contain.

The MARKET that houses The Seattle Spice SHOP is always hustling and bustling and it is not uncommon for panhandlers. One such panhandler na
Tari
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pepper Reece has found her place in life after her divorce and losing her job in the corporate world due to a corporate crash. She's running the Seattle Spice shop at the Pike's Place Market and couldn't be happier. She's got some great employees, at least she thought she did until one of them, Tory, is arrested for the murder of a seemingly homeless man who just showed up to set up in the market. Tory has some secrets of her own but Pepper is determined to get to the bottom of all this. She als ...more
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
First in the Spice Shop Mystery series, ASSAULT AND PEPPER was a tasty read and has whet my appetite for more.

With a large percentage of cozies being set in fictional towns, I wasn't sure how I would feel about this book being set in Seattle at a famous location like The Pike Place Public Market. Honestly, at first it was a little strange for me, but I was soon lost in the story, and Ms. Budewitz’s wonderful writing and no longer gave it a thought.

Her protagonist in ASSAULT AND PEPPER, Pepper R
Becky
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebooks, cozy-mystery
Mostly I didn't really like this book. It was really boring to me. Just couldn't get into it. When I did start to like it, it didn't last long. I almost stopped reading it a couple of times.
Just because this book wasn't for me, you might like it.
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first in the Spice Shop mysteries, Assault and Pepper is a feast for the senses.

Pepper Reece enjoys running her spice shop in Seattle's Pike Place Market. But when one of her employees is accused of murdering a homeless man she goes into action to prove the police have the wrong person in custody.

Filled with intriguing characters, and featuring a wonderful setting, Assault and Pepper is a tight mystery that will keep readers turning the pages. Pepper is a strong, independent woman who has go
J
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
*I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways*

I haven't read a cute mystery series with a punny title in ages so I was excited to win this one in a giveaway.

"Assualt and Pepper" features Pepper Reece, owner of a spice shop in Seattle's Pike Place Market. Pepper decides to investigate the death of a man who dies on the doorstep of her shop after her employee is arrested for the murder.

**Things I liked:

- A nice little mystery that kept me guessing. I really wasn't sure who the murdere
Debbie Lester
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Leslie Budewitz brings reads the first in a new cozy mystery series, Assault and Pepper. This is the first book in the Spice Shop Mystery series and may prove to be quite a favorite for cozy readers. Everything for the trendy Seattle setting to the robust and soothing spiced tea from the Seattle Spice Shop was enjoyable in this book. Budewitz introduces readers to a wonderful new heroine in Pepper Reece and gives them a intriguing and eclectic range of secondary characters. A great first effort ...more
Marie
Aug 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Let me start by saying I read A LOT of cozy mysteries, that said, this is by far one of THE WORST books I've ever read. Way too many characters that are thrown at you in the very first chapter with little or no description of who/what they are. During the story they end up being one dimensional with no growth whatsoever. The plot is slooowwwwwwwwww. Almost non-existent. The spices descriptions were over the top, almost as if this was a textbook on spices. And if you've never visited Seattle, rea ...more
Barb
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A delightful first in a new series, ASSAULT AND PEPPER takes place in Seattle in the famous Pike Place Market. Leslie Budewitz has created a fascinating setting - a spice shop - full of delicious recipes and information about creating spice blends. The plot is clever and well paced, the characters are interesting and fairly complex, and the setting is lovingly described. The Mexican Coffee sounds wonderful!
Doward Wilson
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic new series. You feel like you're in Seattle, Washington feeling the rain, fog and sunshine just from Leslie Budewwitz vivid description. The background for Pepper Reece's spice and tea shop in the Pike Place Market is so realistically described that you are there. This story has a well plotted and uniquely complex murder with twists and turns that keep you turning the page. This is what midlife should be about. Read it.
Gail
May 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was a fairly pedestrian mystery involving the owner of a spice shop in Pike Place Market in Seattle who finds a murdered man on her doorstep. Lots of local color was included, and a large amount of information about spices, in fact, in my opinion the author spent too much time setting the scene and not enough time developing her plot. I don't see myself floating on a cloud of cinnamon to the next novel in this series.
C.
Far too many characters and they are undeveloped, to boot! Didn't care for any of them, and the lead character's cheating ex-husband being a MC was just ewww.

Read more like a tourist guide for Seattle, and pages, and pages, and pages of food descriptions! This is supposed to be a mystery?
I was so bored that I didn't care enough to find out.
Sabine
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, usa-washington
I liked it a lot! Great characters and wonderful descriptions of the market in Seattle.
Lori Rader-Day
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Seattle market as small town. Fun foodie mystery.
Lisa Morin
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining first in a new series

It took me a little bit to get into the story, but once I did, I enjoyed it very much.
Lacey
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Star rating: 3.5 - 4 Stars

Two years after getting divorced from her two-timing husband, Pepper Reece finally feels like her life is on track. Her Spice Shop is a success and she couldn't be happier. Then a homeless man is found murdered on her doorstep, with a cup of her Spice Shop's signature spice tea in his hand. When one of her employees is arrested for the homicide Pepper knows deep down that her employee didn't do it. With the police having arrested the wrong woman, Pepper knows it will be
Kellene
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn’t sure that I was going to like this book in the beginning. There were a lot of characters to keep straight, some of them real jerks. I know very little about Seattle, so I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to get into the setting. And I’m not a big spice person, so most of that was totally lost on me. But my fears were quickly dispelled. The author did such a wonderful job describing the city that I easily pictured the setting in my mind. The characters were developed well, and I was ab ...more
Amy "the book-bat"
I really like the idea of this series. As a first in series novel, this one did a good job of introducing the main characters and the city of Seattle. I particularly enjoyed the little quotes at the beginning of each chapter, especially the historical tidbit ones. I also like the inclusion of some of the recipes for the dishes mentioned throughout the story. It is nice to have them at the end of the book in case I want to try them out (and some sound so amazing that I probably will.) I look forw ...more
Kristie
Great debut book. I liked Pepper a lot, she stood up for herself and those she loved. She sleuthed smart and didn’t go out of her way to put herself in danger. I liked the Seattle setting and the neighborhood the Spice Shop was set in. I could picture it in my head. I plan to continue on with the series and would recommend it to friends as well.
Jamie
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fun book, and pretty easy to read. It seemed a bit slow to start, but sped up once the characters and setting had been introduced.

I also started reading this series out of order, so that might have affected my opinion just a bit.
Bridgett Strawbrich
On the scale of one to Coco, this book gets a 5. It was well written and had a decent ending but it just wasn't fun. It definitely lost points for saying "no pun intended" about something that wasn't a pun. If you can't pun correctly, you should get out of the cozy game.
Nancy
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
A nice quiet mystery with lots of references to all things food & drink. Enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Recommended if you need an easy read. Great vacation selection.
Mele
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun read, and a great series start. I'd definitely visit this series again.
Jen Sandmann
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the snippets of spice information and Seattle history. The Market really came alive for me, and I'd love to go to Pepper's shop. The mystery was well done. Looking forward to reading the next in the series. And to trying some of the recipes in the book.
Moondance
"What does Autumn taste like?"

The aptly named Pepper Reece owns the Seattle Spice Shop in Pike Place Market. The shop has wonderful teas in addition to the fabulous spices. Pepper discovers the body of a homeless man on the shop's doorstep the day after he was involved in an altercation with another street person. Pepper goes into full investigative mode after employee Tory is arrested for the murder.

I love the Spice Shop! The tidbits of information before each chapter was fascinating and varied
  • Death Is Like a Box of Chocolates (A Chocolate Covered Mystery #1)
  • Éclair and Present Danger (Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery, #1)
  • Do or Diner (A Comfort Food Mystery, #1)
  • Well Read, Then Dead (A Read 'Em and Eat Mystery, #1)
  • Drizzled with Death (Sugar Grove Mystery, #1)
  • First-Degree Fudge (A Fudge Shop Mystery #1)
  • Trick or Deceit (Celebration Bay, #4)
  • Off Kilter (Scottish Highlands, #1)
  • Murder in the Mystery Suite (Book Retreat Mysteries, #1)
  • Death on Eat Street (Biscuit Bowl Food Truck Mystery #1)
  • Fillet of Murder (Deep Fried Mystery #1)
  • Meet Your Baker (A Bakeshop Mystery, #1)
  • The Calamity Café (Down South Café Mystery #1)
  • The Big Chili (Undercover Dish Mystery #1)
  • Rest Ye Murdered Gentlemen (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery #1)
  • Snow Way Out (Snow Globe Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Feta Attraction (Greek to Me Mystery #1)
  • Copy Cap Murder (Hat Shop Mystery, #4)
The Food Lovers’ Village Mysteries continue with AS THE CHRISTMAS COOKIE CRUMBLES, 5th in the series (June 2018, Midnight Ink). Erin Murphy is one smart cookie, but can she keep the holiday spirit—and herself—alive til Christmas?

In Jewel Bay, Montana’s Christmas Village, all is merry and bright. At Murphy’s Mercantile, aka the Merc, manager Erin Murphy is ringing in the holiday season with food,
More about Leslie Budewitz

A Spice Shop Mystery (4 books)
  • Guilty as Cinnamon (A Spice Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Killing Thyme (A Spice Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Chai Another Day (A Spice Shop Mystery #4)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Invisible
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Fix (Amos Decker, #3)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Hush
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Pharaoh Key (Gideon Crew series)
    $14.99 $3.99
  • The Historian
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Secrets in Death (In Death, #45)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Hellfire Club
    $13.99 $4.99
  • The Panther  (John Corey, #6)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
  • 15 Seconds
    $6.99 $1.99
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Mother
    $2.99 $1.49
“Sandra always refers to her husband of the last ten years as Mr. Right, to distinguish him from the oh-so-wrong first husband.” 3 likes