Start by marking “Grave Matters (Night Owls, #2)” as Want to Read:
Grave Matters (Night Owls, #2)

Grave Matters

(Night Owls #2)

Night Owls bookstore always keeps a light on and evil creatures out. But, as Lauren M. Roy's thrilling sequel continues, even its supernatural staff isn’t prepared for the dead to come back to life…

Elly grew up training to kill things that go bump in the night, so she’s still getting used to working alongside them. While she’s learned to trust the eclectic group of vampire
Published February 24th 2015 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Grave Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grave Matters

Start your review of Grave Matters (Night Owls, #2)
Shelley
**I received this book for free from (Ace) via (NetGalley) in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!! This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

Grave Matters, the second book in the Night Owl series, picks up a month after Night Owl ended. Events that happened in Night Owl, are IMPORTANT to understand before picking up Grave Matters. It matters because there is a lot of turmoil, sadness, and feelings that everythi
Christal (Badass Book Reviews)
3.5 Stars

See this review and others like it at Badass Book Reviews!

Grave Matters is the second book in Lauren M. Roy's Night Owls and it is a solid read that I heartily recommend to urban fantasy aficionados. My concern with the first book was the pacing and that has mostly been fixed here. The setup was still a little slow, but it was interesting enough that I never wanted to stop reading. Ms. Roy takes her time in setting up all the plot lines and giving her characters the information they nee
Dark Faerie Tales
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Ghosts are wandering all over the place, and it’s up to the Night Owls group to find the necromancer responsible before all hell breaks loose. Despite a slow start, a good follow-up to the first book in the series.

Opening Sentence: Elly dreams of heartbeats.

The Review:

Elly is still getting used to living in one place after a lifetime of constantly being on the move. Her brother Cavale is always worried about saying the wrong thing to her in fear
All Things Urban Fantasy
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-kate
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

GRAVE MATTERS is an excellent follow up to NIGHT OWLS. Full of the same action, snark, and mystery as NIGHT OWLS, GRAVE MATTERS marks the Night Owls series as one to keep an eye on.

My one complaint is the extensive cast of characters makes for some confusion. Switching the focus of the story every chapter or so is a bit disorienting, and also makes it hard to keep track of the timeframe everything is happening in - sometimes the same time period is rep
Dr susan
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
I should have reread Night Owls, but my time was limited by other commitments, so I read my Goodreads review and dove right in to Grave Matters. Just as in Night Owls, Grave Matters is an ensemble book; there is not one main character, and there are multiple points of view. Thanks to my review of Night Owls, I knew that I had learned to care about all the characters. Grave Matters has sorrow, friendship, betrayal, trust, evil, trickery, ghouls, ghosts, vampires, succubi, and a necromancer pullin ...more
Tracey
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Trinitytwo's Point of View

Grave Matters by Lauren M. Roy is the second in the Night Owl series which features a sensational array of supernatural characters. Book two picks up about a month after the events of its predecessor and although Roy fills in all the blanks to allow this installment to stand alone, I think the reader would get a much better flavor for the world of Night Owls if they start with book one, Night Owls.

Vampire Valerie McTeague owns Night Owls, a bookstore that caters to the
Dale Meyer-curley
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Holy Crap!"

That's what I said when I was done with this book. The second in the Night Owls Series was, dare I say, better than the first!

In order for me to get into a series,I have to care about the characters. Lauren created characters that made me hold my breath when they were hurt; squeed when there was snogging, and was sad when the story was over because that meant no more adventures.

The world the Night Owls crew lives in is believable, even if it's filled with the supernatural. The main
Anya
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5. It took a little bit for me to remember all the different characters, but I managed eventually. This storyline didn't engage me as much as the previous books and I ended up just not caring much about how things ended. There is a cute romance brewing and I do still really love all these characters and the refreshing way this series differs from a typical urban fantasy!
Duckbait
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is still really good, character-driven urban fantasy that uses the monster-of-the-week vehicle to tell really cool stories about relationships, trauma, and growth for characters with a number of different issues.

I liked the plot of this one less than the first book. The pacing was slow at first. This was set up as a couple of interlocking mysteries, except that one was nigh incomprehensible (I really cannot tell you what the complicated scheming was or what the point of it was) and the othe
Nancy
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was back and forth between 4 or 5 stars. The only.reason I would give it 4 stars is because there were a couple of instances in the book where I was frustrated because it took a while to get to the point of joining up story lines. Slightly dragged out, just slightly.

The Author has done an exceptional job of world building, adding new twists to vampires and other monsters! Her building up of the relationships between the group of main characters, (that were brought together in the first book)
Kt
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession..

This book and series is rather frustrating for me. There's so much potential there for an excellent story, but it's massively hindered by the constant switch in narrators and their subsequent different storylines. Due to this constant shift I was never able to settle into anyone's head as as soon as I started to get hooked on one character and their chain of events, it would all be ripped away and into the next. Sometimes the changes were so
blackbearry
It took me awhile to pick this sequel up, mainly because I was busy trying to squash my expectations. Not that I needed to, as it turns out this book is an easy 4/5.

Basically I got everything I ever wanted out of this series. Every character is well-fleshed out (It speaks to this that I remembered most of them immediately despite having read Night Owls ages ago) and gets their chance to shine, and the relationship progressions have been absolutely fantastic, both platonic and otherwise.

(view s
Jen
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
"Night Owls bookstore always keeps a light on and evil creatures out. But, as Lauren M. Roy's thrilling sequel continues, even its supernatural staff isn’t prepared for the dead to come back to life."

Ok, I admit that that I am always susceptible to books about bookstores. And a supernatural staff doesn't hurt. That's just me, I'm a little superficial like that.

The fact that it was the second in a series did make me pause, but I needed something to read right then and decided to go ahead. I like
Chris Bauer
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book of the Night Owls series by Lauren M. Roy and picks up where the first left off. While at first glance, it may appear to have all the trappings of a standard urban fantasy tale, the subtle differences make it somewhat unique.

The characters are all portrayed in rich dimensions, with their fears, flaws and foibles well depicted. No stock characters here.

Roy does some exceedingly interesting twists with her own plot and I stopped even trying to guess what would unfold after
J.C.
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
All in all, the same "fun" quality that drew me to the first one. Night Owls returns with new baddies. The Jackals in particular, are largely absent from this book, and that's not a bad thing, as we get to see some new and different problems for Val & friends to deal with. As with the first ones, POV transitions are occasionally confusing as to whose head we've hopped to this time, leaving us asking "Who exactly is thinking what?" but by and large, it works. If you didn't like Ellie first book a ...more
Glennis
Feb 15, 2015 rated it liked it
The second book is a set only a few months after the end of the first book and everyone is trying to deal with the changes and losses in their lives. Elly is working for the Stregi, the Boston group of vampires as they are dealing with a turf war. Cavale is tracking down a necromancer that has moved into the neighborhood. And both Elly and Cavale are tiptoeing around talking about their shared childhood, separation and how they will handle the future together as adults. Both story lines blend by ...more
Anna
As a sequel to Night Owls, this was pretty much what I would have hoped for. More about all our favorite characters from book one, including some deepening relationship dynamics -- notably not all of which are romantic in nature, though several are walking intriguingly complicated lines in that regard -- and a new threat in the form of a necromancer and complicated Boston vampire-mob politics. I am particularly enjoying the wary yet fiercely protective brother-sister relationship that Elly and C ...more
Molly Smith
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Initial thoughts: As much as I enjoyed the previous novel, I think this one was even better! The characters really come together and I enjoyed the different plots that were woven within the large overall one. It was gripping and exciting and I really enjoyed it. I would have devoured it if I hadn't been interrupted by other things. I eager look forward to the next novel in the series! Please click on the link to the full review by myself and my review partner Gikany posted at That's What I'm Tal ...more
Tabitha
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another quick, fun, supernatural read. Lauren M. Roy is slowly working her way towards being a favorite of mine.
I did figure out the big mystery before her characters. However, I still enjoyed the challenges they had to face in order to figure it out for themselves.
I  love her characters and the relationships that have grown with them in this book. Chaz and Val exchanging sarcastic quips never fails to make me laugh, and the evolution of Elly is subtle yet progressive. Roy isn't rushing her char
Books-fly-to-me
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of supernatural action with great characters

I thought this book might suffer from the sophomore curse and not do justice to the first book in the series. Not to worry, this book is great. The story is well thought out and the character's growth is palpable. These are multi-faceted characters in a complex story line. Sooo rare these days and so enjoyable!
Latisha Bramlett
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Grave Matters picks up a few months after Night Owls ended. Elle is getting deeper into the supernatural world. She and Cav are working on their relationship. This book has a bit more romance than the first one. There is not much, but you can see where the author is going.

The story is still enjoyable and I can't wait to see where the author is going with it.
Sara Leigh
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lauren Roy's follow-up to Night Owls is just as good as her first! It was another page-turner, and not a repeat of the same story. The main characters are developed further, and I can't wait to see where she goes next with this series.
Michael
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The second book proves to be even better than the first one. It held lots of tension, just the right amount of action, and a twisty plot that kept me guessing the whole way. I highly recommend it.
Peter Sursi
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-books
A great follow-up to Night Owls. We learn more about the crew and the world they are in. I hope we'll see some follow ups. Bonus points for some pop culture shout outs.
Maurynne  Maxwell
A solid second entry in the series. I like that there's a spread of ages--that is what it's like with a bookstore crew. Touches of humor leaven the darkness. These are on my buy list.
Ruby Ridge
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A real page turner that was spoiled by (view spoiler)
If you enjoyed #1 do not read this.
Emily
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, paranormal
So much love! Life making me read the first half in half-chapter bursts made me realize I would totally watch a Night Owls show. Lauren, please write more!
Angela
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
A second good story. While part of a series, it's a complete story in itself. I like the diverse characters and that there is only the tiniest bit of romance that develops at a normal pace.
Elaine
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Book two of the Night Owls. The action never stops. Relationships need work. And death looms over all. Looking for book three.
Fangs for the Fantasy
Ellie has a home. And a family. And friends. She’s not entirely sure how to deal with having any of these things since they’re all somewhat alien to her. She’s a hunter, a nomad, a warrior – this new life takes some getting used to. Even including being hired as a hunter for the vampire Strigoi.

But a necromancer comes to town and starts causing trouble for the enter Night Owls’ family, raising ghosts, sending ghouls rampaging through Justin’s mentor’s home and threatening to bring spectres from

• The Enchantment Emporium (Gale Women, #1)
  • The Wild Ways (Gale Women, #2)
  • The Future Falls (Gale Women, #3)
  • Dreadful Company (Dr. Greta Helsing, #2)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • Who Stole the Wizard of Oz?
  • Night Shift (Jill Kismet, #1)
  • The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Grave Importance (Dr. Greta Helsing #3)
  • The Laughter of Dead Kings (Vicky Bliss, #6)
  • The Lions of Al-Rassan
  • Strange Practice (Dr. Greta Helsing, #1)
  • Drinking Midnight Wine
  • Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3)
  • A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2)
  • Naughty in Nice (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #5)

Night Owls (2 books)
  • Night Owls (Night Owls, #1)