Start by marking “Conscious Decisions of the Heart (More Heat Than the Sun, #2)” as Want to Read:
Conscious Decisions of the Heart (More Heat Than the Sun, #2)

Conscious Decisions of the Heart

(More Heat Than the Sun #2)

Ben Rider and Nikolas Mikkelsen learn that danger comes in all shapes and sizes and often in places you least expect it.

Nikolas's dark past calls to him, inexorably dragging him back into its seductive embrace. While he goes on an errand of mercy to Russia, Ben travels to Denmark to learn Nikolas's language. Convinced Russia's vastness will swallow Nikolas, Ben doesn't see
Published July 3rd 2014 by MLR Press

Start your review of Conscious Decisions of the Heart (More Heat Than the Sun, #2)
Baba
4.25 stars. Review completed December 9, 2014

photo oie_rxoLlXyOZ828_zpsxgtl8xwh.gif
 photo oie_SqwoErOUG8Re_zpsbd86f659.png
 photo oie_LmoPewK6cDKI_zpstlstph6h.gif
 photo oie_nONWJjQO0QHp_zps58df42fb.png
 photo oie_taj3SW6AxI7h_zpsisgsr5he.gif

“Downstairs, you reverted to the old Ben, the SAS Ben, without a thought. What would you’ve done if I’d come over and kissed you? In front of your colleague? We both play games and have masks we like to wear.” He put his hand on Ben’s shoulder and idly rubbed his thumb on the short hair at the back of his neck. “Sometimes, I think you are my only reality.”

"Not like that. I've made mistakes by taking you for granted, assuming you knew how I felt about
Ingie
Written March 30, 2015

4.3 Stars - Addictive hot 'agents' fun, a M/M couple to care about and a want for much more

Book #2

I was amazed and quite stunned after the first novel, #1 - Love is a Stranger (4.5 stars), in John Wiltshire's (this M/M romance-winter) talked about agent-suspense series 'More Heat Than the Sun' (~ 4 books published 2014 and #5 now in March).
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Nikolas: “You need a heart to want someone, and I gave mine to you, Benjamin.”

Jan
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, mystery, favorites
**** 4 Stars ****

Another great and fast paced story.
In this instalment we have Ben and Nikolas going through a very rough time in Denmark and as if it wasn’t enough, when they decide to take a holiday to recover, fate strikes again. Hard! But hey, the guys are in one piece for the next one!

This time around, I was more aware of what to expect romantically wise ops... I mean, lust wise ;-) The highlights weren’t the action and mystery but very much their relationship which is still growing and ge
LenaRibka
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Cut & Run series

3,4 stars

BR with Nick and Mark

I promised to be serious in my review for the second book.

More Heat Than the Sun series is a clever mixture of Cut&Run, Dangerous Ground and K-9 series. (The last one is a TV-series, but nothing else springs to my mind! If you know any mystery series or a standalone with a dog in the main role, please, let me know!)

If you like Cut & Run and Dangerous Ground, you might also know that they are NOT skilfully written mysteries or a documentarily and close to the realit
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
3.75-4 Stars

This was really good.

description

The writing, of course, was awesome, as well as the tone and dialogue. Ben and Nik are just awesome together and their relationship grows and becomes more defined in this second installment.

description

Plus, we find out a lot more about Nik and his past (although I am a greedy hag and want more).

There was a lot of action in this one as well - although sometimes said action did not seem to necessarily fit perfectly into the frame of the story in my opinion.

The first book h
Tina

YouTube Booktrailer More Heat than the Sun - Nikolas

Holy moly, this one was worth a few more stars than only five. The continuing journey of Nik and Ben is just exceptional written, I wasn’t able to put the book down, I even couldn’t be bothered with mundane tasks like eating or... sleeping.

It’s a thrilling roller coaster ride, the book is dark, gritty, emotional, enthralling, funny, addictive. And the feelings… OMG

Yes, I fell for Nik, Ben and Radulf in the first book. Hard.… But I wasn't prepar
Ariana
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
If I thought book 1 was action-laden, this one easily beats that! In fact, if I think back to the beginning of 'Conscious Decision of the Heart' I can hardly believe this was the same book! So much happened!

I think we all knew that Nik and Ben parting for a few months (!!!) would neither be easy on them, nor spare them from complications.
I liked Ben's stay in snowy Denmark, until some pretty harrowing events turn his time there into a living nightmare. It was so sad to see Ben change under the
Simone
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved the first book in this series and I loved the second one even more.

John Wilthire’s style of writing is outstanding. You not just read a story, you are THERE, right in the middle of it.

The feelings were almost overwhelming: loneliness, angst, pain, despair, deep love (sometimes close to bordering on obsession on Ben’s part), followed by happiness… They put me through the wringer and yet I couldn’t put this book down.

A few more of Nik’s secrets are revealed and the idea of what Nik had
Wendy

Damn these books are addictive. I love all the secrets that get revealed, it makes me go "ohhhh" and "ahhhhhh". There is still so much mystery left between Nik and Ben.

I also have to say that I was quite a bit shocked over some scenes. These men are both utterly insane.

I do understand they love each other, though sometimes they have a very fucked up way of showing it.

I'm pretty sure there are much more secrets to be revealed and I can't wait to read what they are ! Also big points for Ra
Literatures Movies
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
description

Not exactly sure what I expected going into this book, but it definitely wasn't this. I think I was expecting more of Nikolas's past catching up to him, them having to run away or having to fight bad guys. But certainly not this.

Not saying that it was bad per se, since I still quite enjoyed it, but the storyline and plot just seems kind of weird and off, especially when we have main characters who is an ex-SAS and a guy who was in the Soviet Army who has been through a nasty amount of shit.

The
Christelle
Book 2 of the “More Heat than the sun” series. It’s not a standalone : book 2 picked up right where it left the readers on book 1.

No question about it : Ben and Nikolas are insane, but insanely good !!
Nikolas’s past is coming back and Nikolas deals with it by going back to Russia for a few months. Ben decides than to spend that time learning more about Nikolas. Who would think danger can come from a small Norwegian town and a quiet librarian ??
I so loved the way the relationship between Nikola
Gina
Still in love with this series, and I have found a new auto-buy author! LOVE BEN AND NIK. And all the twists and turns, this is a dark, gritty story.
Renée
Reread with Ele - I finally convinced her to fall in love with this couple!

4.5 stars. Just finished my reread. This series is a bit darker than I usually read. But I have just completely fallen in love with Ben and Nik.

Even the blood, gore, dub/non con flashbacks aren't turning me off. I can't explain it. Their tender moments mean that much more because of all they've been through before each other and with each other.

And the fact that they're so alpha that neither of them will admit to being g
Bev
One thing REALLY stood out for me in this instalment of More Heat than the Sun....the LOVE between Ben and Nikolas, which seems to be growing in leaps and bounds. I'm giving this one 4.5 stars, which includes half a star for that very brave gay dog of indeterminate nature, Radulf.

We had everything in this story, and I'm not going into great detail - a mercy killing; a crazy librarian stalker woman who nearly kills Nik and Radulf; Ben nearly committing suicide over his guilt for not protectin
Simon
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm feeling emotionally drained. A novel of two halves, in fact it feels like two separate novels involving the same characters. So that's value for money.
Radulf...you made me cry. Your utter devotion to Nik overwhelms me.
Ben...Jeg elsker dig (I so love that online translate function that Kindle offers).
I feel...I feel as if I've read an m/m novel for grownups.
5 definite stars. The love just keeps on growing.
KatieMc
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a love/hate thing going with Nik and Ben. It's easy to list what I don't like about these books (misogynist rants, crazy and meandering plot lines, no lube ever...), but I am hard pressed to articulate why I actually do enjoy them. So, as an exercise to understand this strange attraction, I have constructed a top 10 list of reasons why I like this book in particular, and this series in general. In no particular order...

1. Nik is enigmatic
2. Ben is loyal
3. Side character named Squeezy
4. B
Isabel
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am completely addicted to Ben and Nik... full review to come!
Karen
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-read
And the award for Literature's most dysfunctional couple of the year goes to...

...very possibly Ben and what'shisname? Yep, I refuse to give him a name because honestly, I'm not sure what the hell his name is. Ok, seriously for the sake of argument we'll let him be Nikolas for now, but honestly guys don't get to attached to it because I'm pretty sure it's going to change.

These two men are just emotionally exhausting, but I'm pretty sure I'm addicted. I have no doubt that I'll carry on readin
Kelly
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
***4.5 stars***
Meep
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A lot of this seems quieter with them spending time apart, then stuff happens with a vengeance, it slows for a holiday before again stuff happens and keeps happening. An interesting read. The relationship pushes boundaries with dubious-(if not outright non-)consent at times. Nik is a self acknowledged 'bad man' and for all his likeability Ben has his own demons.
On to the next book :)

-- --

Dark, melodramatic and humorous. I loved how unpredictable the ride and that we got to see some of Nik's view
Em
I need you, Benjamin. Everything else in this world I've discovered over the last few days is unnecessary to me. I need life, and I need you. Now, we're leaving. Make yourself more useful than you usually do and pack my bag.

How on earth was so much packed into just 278 pages? I seriously loved the first book but this one had just so much more to it, it was intense and seriously emotional at times. I just can't get enough of Nik and Ben, these two tough guys have been through so much and are
Alona
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

I loved this one so much more than the first one (and I enjoyed the first one quite a bit!)
It felt as though the author found his Ben and Nikolas, after a little struggle in the first book.
They both felt more like complete whole characters, a thing that I didn't feel in book #1.

I loved Ben and Nikolas's witty/sarcastic conversations/banter. Their sence of humor is bloody marvelous!
I also loved seeing the big love they both have for each other, especially Ben's... It was heart wrenching
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
4.5 flailingly awesome stars on Prism Book Alliance

This story pretty much picks up right there Love is a Stranger left things off. Nik is feeling vulnerable (ha, that’s an understatement) and determined, and Ben is sarcastic, dramatic and also determined – to keep Nik alive and with him, which is exactly where Nik wants to be. Now, to figure out how to get there… together.

So, I’m in chapter two and my connection to Ben and Nik, the connection twixt them to which I’d been attempting to make i
Ele
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The romance is hitting all my buttons. The plot is on crack and the sexist comments from both MCs hit on my nerves but the romance....the relationship angst....the feels....the banter...Radulf, wolf of the house....I very rarely feel that kind of connection between characters especially in darker reads and this is something that surprises the hell out of me given that I did not like these two together in the first book, especially the first time I read it. My buddy reader knows me too well. On t ...more
Marte - Thunderella
Re-read October-November 2016.
Read October 2015.

Original review:

**** 4,5 what a ride stars ****

----------------------------
"You are the conscious choice of my heart."
----------------------------

Such a great read!

And so much better than the first book (which was just confusing, really).
I fell so in love with both the main characters, Ben and Nik! They are such complex characters and they grew so much during this book. All sorts of things happens to them and it was a thrill to be along for the r
AGandyGirl

This series has kinda knocked me on my ass. In a way, I am thankful that I originally DNF the first book at 11%. I clearly was not in the right frame of mind at the time for this series or this couple. I was irritated and therefore my feelings were screwed. So taking this on a second time, I knew it was important to keep an open mind and not be too quick to judge. I have read no blurbs on this and if I read a review on this series then I am a complete blank, because I have no recollection of doi
Breann
4.5 hearts

"I surrender. I give you permission to continue with your stubborn, unrealistic blind faith in my complete lovability. It's quite astounding to me no one else has ever noticed just how loveable I apparently am."

I noticed! Me! Me, Nik! And thank you for the permission. I will continue to love you.

I could write a review just about how much I love Nik and how that dude makes me swoon.
"[...] You need a heart to want someone, and I gave mine to you, Benjamin. Or did you forget?"

*swo
Ije the Devourer of Books
I am so glad I decided to take this series slowly because it is just so fabulous. Ben and Nicholas are just such deep, hard-edged characters and this makes the stories gritty, realistic and attention holding.

Both men have depth to their characters and the reader gets to see this as the layers are stripped away bit by bit. But these revelations are subtle discoveries that emerge as the characters grow in their relationship with each other. Reading this book is like watching a film. At the end of
Jewel
Conscious Decisions of the Heart is the second book in John Wiltshire's More Heat Than the Sun series. You should read the books in this series in order or you will be terribly lost. Also, it is a fantastic series, so well worth the read!

This book starts out with Nikolas and Ben being separated for a while. Nikolas is accompanying a dying old friend back to Russia and so Ben, not wanting to stay in their London house by himself, decides to go to Denmark, to the town Nikolas lived as a child, and
Dreamer
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant m/m thriller. I loved every character in this book to bits: Nikolas, Ben, Tim, Squeezy and of course, Radulf..

Radulf even has his own dog blog: http://www.johnwiltshire.co.nz/radulf...

"I need you, Benjamin. Everything else in this world I've discovered is unnecessary to me. I need life and I need you."

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
John Wiltshire Fa...: * BOOK DISCUSSION - More Heat than the Sun 2 12 55 Jan 29, 2016 06:29PM
Discussion threads in Fan Group 1 7 Mar 28, 2015 05:42PM
Goodreads Librari...: Reviews and Ratings not showing 4 42 Jul 06, 2014 04:29PM

• Long Time Gone (Hell or High Water, #2)
  • Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water, #1)
  • Daylight Again (Hell or High Water, #3)
  • All Kinds of Tied Down (Marshals, #1)
  • Fit to be Tied (Marshals, #2)
  • One-Eyed Royals (Seven of Spades, #4)
  • Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I (Special Forces, #2 part 1)
  • Thrown Off the Ice
  • Cash Plays (Seven of Spades, #3)
  • Special Forces - Soldiers (Special Forces, #1)
  • Trick Roller (Seven of Spades, #2)
  • Why the Devil Stalks Death (Death and the Devil, #2)
  • Special Forces - Mercenaries Part II (Special Forces, #2 part 2)
  • Tied Up in Knots (Marshals, #3)
  • A Chip and a Chair (Seven of Spades, #5)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
John spent twenty-two years in the military, perfecting the art
of looking busy whilst secretly writing. He left as a senior officer
when his tunnel was ready for use. He is now living in New
Zealand until he can raise enough money to leave. Although he
has no plans to return to the army, he can occasionally be caught
polishing his medals.

More Heat Than the Sun (8 books)
  • Love is a Stranger (More Heat Than the Sun, #1)
  • The Bridge of Silver Wings (More Heat Than the Sun, #3)
  • This Other Country (More Heat Than the Sun, #4)
  • The Bruise-Black Sky (More Heat Than the Sun, #5)
  • Death's Ink-Black Shadow (More Heat Than the Sun, #6)
  • Enduring Night (More Heat Than the Sun, #7)
  • His Fateful Heap of Days (More Heat Than the Sun, #8)