Start by marking “The Devil's Only Friend (John Cleaver, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Only Friend (John Cleaver, #4)

The Devil's Only Friend

(John Cleaver #4)

John Wayne Cleaver hunts demons: they've killed his neighbors, his family, and the girl he loves, but in the end he's always won. Now he works for a secret government kill team, using his gift to hunt and kill as many monsters as he can...

...but the monsters have noticed, and the quiet game of cat and mouse is about to erupt into a full scale supernatural war.

John doesn't
Published June 16th 2015 by Tor Books (first published June 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Only Friend, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Skyler
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Devil's Only Friend (John Cleaver, #4)
Miranda Reads
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-series
Life isn’t a thing, it’s a condition; we switch it on and we switch it off.
I abso-freaking-love this little psychopath.

John Wayne Cleaver (accidentally named after two serial killers and "blessed" with a weapon as a last name) is desperately trying not to become a murderer. He's always known he has the potential - he fantasizes about killing things, he has a hard time seeing people as humans, etc...BUT he doesn't want to become a serial killer.

Only, no matter how good he is at avoiding all
Jessica
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngadult, fantasy
I love Dan Wells' brain. I want to keep it in my freezer.
ke-sha
Dec 13, 2014 marked it as to-read
THERE'S GOING TO BE MORE!!!!
Rachel the Book Harlot
WARNING: Spoilers For First 3 Books

"I'm good now. I promise.

...sometimes at night I go to the butcher shop and I buy the biggest roast they have and I bring it home and I cover the room in plastic and I hack the meat to pieces with a kitchen knife, slashing and ripping and chopping and grunting until there's nothing left but scraps. Then I roll up the plastic, meat and blood and all, and I throw it away and everything is clean and calm now.

Because I'm good now.

I promise."

description

Welcome
Bradley
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For all you peeps missing a Serial Killer gone Good, or at least good-ish, or even just mildly tiptoeing the very broad definition of monsterhood, I'd recommend this series.

John's 17 years old, has lost almost everything, but he's done the right thing and joined the "good guys" to hunt down demons. John still doesn't give a flying rat's ass about whether anyone lives or dies and he still likes to take home a rack of meat to stab viciously in his off hours, but at least he has the intellectual
Ashley Daviau
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m right in the middle with this book. I didn’t love it but I didn’t hate it either. Now that could be due to the fact that I haven’t read the first three books in the series but I didn’t know it was a series when I bought it and I said fuck it and read it anyways. I probably would have enjoyed it a bit more if I had read the other books but I still think it does relatively well as a stand-alone. I was able to follow the story easily and it was an incredibly interesting concept but it fell flat ...more
Frank Errington
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review copy

Admittedly, I have never read the original trilogy of books in the John Cleaver series. One of these days I will need to rectify that. I'm also happy to say, it's not necessary to have read any of the other books to enjoy The Devil's Only Friend.

Reminiscent of Harry Dresden from the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher, John Cleaver is a bit of an anti-hero, quick-witted with a sharp tongue, and an urge to kill. An urge that he controls in an unusual way. It's these tendencies that
Chris
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural
Classified as YA (or maybe Thriller with a teenager in the spotlight). Either way I found it to be enjoyable even as a 31 yo man. It has elements which Intrigued me - a sociopathic main character/protagonist who hunts and slays supernatural beings known as the "withered"? Who wouldn't be interested in reading this? If you enjoy the TV shows Dexter and Supernatural, you will likely enjoy this book/series. John Wayne Cleaver is one bad mother shut yo mouth!
Graham Bradley
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dan Wells has written the perfect fourth volume to this trilogy. He knows his characters, knows his world, knows just how to ratchet things up to level eleven at the right times. I will never understand how he does it, but damn...I have no idea where it goes now.
Melissa
This ties in to book 3.5 which I wasn't expecting. They are both telling the same story but from different POVs and 3.5 ends without the full ending of book 4. I would suggest reading both books together, alternating so you can get both games on what is going on.

I really love this series and am enjoying book 5 now. The narration is really good. Although when the narrator shouts he really does and it is loud and startling. Book 4 is a great story and it didn't end the way I thought it would.
Miriam
I think I'm gonna give up on this series. I really loved books 1-3. I'm not really impressed with the direction this book took. I didn't get that far. Maybe 10%-15%. Either way I am not rating this because I am slumping big time and attribute part of my lack of enjoyment to that.
Emm - On a Hiatus of Uncertain Nature
Rating -
Hearts and blood, a cycle of love and loss...

At first, I didn't think I would like this one as much because of the somewhat drastic shift in personality, and possibly because I didn't quite have my heart in it at the time (no pun intended...), but then the story took off in a mess of oddity and carnage and just... wow. Change in this case is not bad, after all.

To be more clear, Devil's Only Friend takes on a more introspective and grim fantasy feel, rather than the brooding darkness of
Rose
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review coming after I can meditate over it a bit. I actually finished this book quite a while ago, but I never cleared it out of my Currently Reading list. (Argh. :/) I liked it as much as the first three John Cleaver books, and appreciated the diverse cast of characters. Wells does horror well, and notably knows how to create strong character voices.
Poojitha Sitaram
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was lucky enough to win an early draft of the manuscript of this book.

John Cleaver is back and now, to his annoyance, is working as part of a team. Dan Wells' biggest strength as a writer, in my opinion, has always been the brilliant way in which he captures and relates the mindset of his POV characters. That was one of the main things that really hooked me on to this series in the first place, and he doesn't disappoint with this book. Elijah Sexton, the POV character from Wells' short story,
Terry Weyna
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This review contains spoilers for the first JOHN WAYNE CLEAVER trilogy.

John Wayne Cleaver is a seventeen-year-old boy who wants very, very much to kill people. Lots of them, one right after the other, in terrible, bloody ways. Paradoxically, because he longs to do that, he has been taking extraordinary lengths to avoid becoming a serial killer. His struggles were related in a trilogy consisting of I Am Not A Serial Killer, Mr. Monster, and I Don’t Want to Kill You. That trilogy showed how John’
Morris
John Wayne Cleaver is back in “The Devil’s Only Friend”, the first in somewhat of a sub-trilogy within the already established John Cleaver series by Dan Wells.

I’ll start off by saying that the entire John Cleaver series, though popular, is extremely underrated. I also think it’s unfairly compared to Dexter. Granted, Dexter is a wonderful series and he is a great character, but John Cleaver stands on his own as a psychopathic anti-hero. He doesn’t need anyone’s help to establish exactly who and
Alexander
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I have already reviewed this book when I read it in German, see here. I only want to use this review to highlight some things I forgot or missed when I read the German version. Here they come:

- First of all, the ending feels even more awesome than the first time now that I recognized all the set-up. It had me cheering, it was so well executed that it'll stay with me for a while.
- The conversation between Brooke and John that broke my heart the first time 'round is even more heartbreaking in
Tasula
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
John Wayne Cleaver, still trying hard not to be a psychopathic serial killer, carefully following his "rules", is on a FBI team tracking and killing "demons". This series (starting with I Am Not A Serial Killer) began as a story about a psychopathic teen who had the urge to kill but managed to suppress it and live almost a normal life, but the story added a supernatural element- John finds out a neighbor is not human. I would have liked the story even without the supernatural element- Dan Wells ...more
Wm
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
On the one hand, we don't really need more John Cleaver books. On the other, Wells has become a better writer so that all the things he's learned to do since he finished the last series show up in this book. This is a tight, psychological thriller mashed up with secret world urban fantasy (of sorts) and a large dose of horror. I'm not sure, though, how I feel about Cleaver -- I'm not sure his is a psychology I needed re-opened even if it was clear from the last trilogy that he is needed to face ...more
Jessica White
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
My favorite little sociopath is back in action, and he has backup!

The Devil's Only Friend picks up with John and Brooke in a new town, hunting a new monster, but John is employed by the FBI as a type of prodigy. Who knew his rules could land him an actual paying job where he got to hunt and kill monsters legally! It's a great job, but he still has his quirks. He's taking care of his impulses by beating hunks of meat with a club in his own house. He's setting controlled fires in grills. He's
Andi
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
will post a review soon... I've missed you John.

EDIT:

When I first started this book I thought I missed something, like, it just dove right into John's new job with the FBI and I had no idea that that's how it was... John was now working for them. It felt weird, it felt foreign to me because I like John as a bit of a loner, not answering to higher-ups but doing his own thing.

I liked this book and then I didn't. I liked it for the character development and what was going on with Brooke. I didn't
Lynn Williams
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Devil’s Only Friend is the first in a new Trilogy starring John Wayne Cleaver. There have apparently been three earlier books but The Devil’s Only Friend can be read as a standalone and indeed it’s not difficult to pick up on what took place previously. Having said that I really enjoyed this and to a cetain extent wish I had picked up the previous books, even though I admit that I probably won’t do so now, but just purely from a character
Eric Allen
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
John Cleaver has finally come back for the book I've been waiting years to read. I kind of wish that I had skipped the "Next of Kin" Novella that Dan Wells put out last year now, though, because the first half of this book was basically just a retelling of that novella from John's PoV rather than Elijah's. It was good, but I felt like I'd already read it, because I kind of had. The second half of the book strays into new territory though for a pretty action and tension packed climax. I really ...more
Devann
actual rating: 2.5

This was a definite low point in the series for me, but mostly because I am in no way here for the whole ~John Cleaver, FBI Agent~ plot line. I mean obviously I'm already suspending a lot of disbelief here with the whole ancient demons thing, but now you want me to believe that the FBI just decides to drag two 17 year old kids along with them on their monster hunting vendetta and also that their families are fine with that? I mean John's family maybe, but Brooke's?

Anyway, the
Michael Nash
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Even though I Don't Want to Kill You ended on sort of a cliffhanger, with the reader left wondering what John on a demon-hunting team sponsored by the federal government, it also seemed like a fitting ending. Although it ends with John having a traumatic experience, that experience is also defining and cathartic, and joining the demon-hunting team gave enough of a shape to his future to be going on with.
In other words, this next book was kind of superfluous, and hinged on whether or not what
Chersti Nieveen
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a great way for the series to continue. It delighted every bone in my body with this well-developed book, and as much as I adored the three books before it in the I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER series, this one blew them all out of the water, raising the stakes and characters themselves to a whole new level of fantastic.
Tracy
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Poor John, still not a serial killer
M.A. Nichols
I feel like I'm being a little generous with my 4 stars, but I've loved this series so much that I can't bear to give it anything less than 4.

I think what I struggle with most is that my favorite part of the series has been the main character's inner struggle against his natural tendencies. Each previous book built off that, giving a new dimension to that conflict. However, this book just seems to regurgitate the same issues we've already spent three books analyzing. There's a little bit of a
Jasper
originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2015...

Dan Wells is an author I had previously heard from mostly because of his book series The Partial Sequence. I hadn't heard about this series John Cleaver and when I saw this book in the Tor catalogue I thought it was a first in series or stand alone. But actually it is the fourth book so far in the series, which I found out in my mid reading session. However as you can make up from the above notice, you can pick up the John Cleaver
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Am I the only one... (Spoilers ahead) 1 10 Jul 04, 2017 06:09PM
Play Book Tag: The Devil's Only Friend by Dan Wells - 3 stars 1 9 Apr 17, 2016 10:31AM

• Valour and Vanity (Glamourist Histories, #4)
  • Of Noble Family (Glamourist Histories, #5)
  • I Hunt Killers (I Hunt Killers, #1)
  • The Ultra Thin Man
  • Consider This: Moments in My Writing Life after Which Everything Was Different
  • The Complex
  • How Charts Lie: Getting Smarter about Visual Information
  • War of the Sons (Supernatural, #6)
  • Down Time (I Hunt Killers, #0.1)
  • Magic Tree House: #1-28
  • Take A Thru-Hike: Dixie's How-To Guide for Hiking the Appalachian Trail
  • Lost on the Appalachian Trail
  • Glamour in Glass (Glamourist Histories, #2)
  • Without a Summer (Glamourist Histories, #3)
  • Lucky Day (I Hunt Killers, #0.2)
  • The Hobbit
  • Saboteur (Star Wars:  Darth Maul, #1)
  • A Pause in Space-Time (A Stasis Story #1) (The Stasis Stories)
Dan Wells is a thriller and science fiction writer. Born in Utah, he spent his early years reading and writing. He is he author of the Partials series (Partials, Isolation, Fragments, and Ruins), the John Cleaver series (I Am Not a Serial Killer, Mr. Monster, and I Don't Want To Kill You), and a few others (The Hollow City, A Night of Blacker Darkness, etc). He was a Campbell nomine for best new ...more

John Cleaver (6 books)
  • I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
  • Mr. Monster (John Cleaver, #2)
  • I Don't Want to Kill You (John Cleaver, #3)
  • Over Your Dead Body (John Cleaver, #5)
  • Nothing Left to Lose (John Cleaver, #6)
“Life isn’t a thing, it’s a condition; we switch it on and we switch it off.” 9 likes
“I never thought I had a heart until it was broken. It’s hard to see the point of something that only ever causes pain.” 8 likes