Start by marking “Headed for the Win (Nadia & Winny #1)” as Want to Read:
Headed for the Win (Nadia & Winny #1)

Read Excerpt

Headed for the Win

(Nadia & Winny #1)

Nadia Wells has spent her life trying to convince her parents that horses are a necessity, but despite her best efforts, they see them only as an extravagant luxury.

After landing her dream job mucking stalls in exchange for riding lessons, a wealthy philanthropist recognizes Nadia’s talent and decides to invest in her. Purchasing a mare nicknamed Winny, Nadia is sure she’s
Published July 15th 2014 by Rachael Eliker (first published July 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Headed for the Win, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Headed for the Win

Start your review of Headed for the Win (Nadia & Winny #1)
Clare O'Beara
This is a young horse lover's dream book, showing both sides of the story, by which I mean from the rider's and the horse's points of view. The American teen rider undergoes a strange experience in which she switches places with her Holsteiner mare and has to spend half the book learning how to control her legs, eat hay and compete in three day eventing.

On the even better side, the rider doesn't just come to understand her mount, she gets to know other horses and to understand and relate to a w
Tamara Lechner
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
A novel spin on the classic horse story. Horse and rider change bodies in a style reminiscent of Freaky Friday. Young riders won't want to miss this read!
Tonja Drecker
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story is great for those horse loving, girl readers out there. The main character loves horses, and when her parents finally give in and let her have one of her own, her world seems complete. But her new horse and her just aren't getting along. This is where a wonderful, fun twist comes in. Nadia does a 'soul' switch with the horse Winny. And Winny does have ideas of her own, now that she's human. It was fun to dive into the head of a horse gone human - not exactly what one would expect.

The
Brittney
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horse-books-read
Nadia and her new horse, Winny, switch places - what a fun horse story with a fantastic plot twist! Right from the beginning I connected with the main character, Nadia. Nadia is so head-over-heels in love with horses that she literally faints when she finally gets one. She's a hard worker and a natural rider, but when she doesn't immediately understand her horse, an old "wives tale" forces her to switch places with Winny. I love this twist because the author really shows how a horse feels, what ...more
Amy Elizabeth
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There was so much I enjoyed about this book. The premise of horse and rider switching places was interesting, fun, and very well-done. In a lot of YA adult stories I find the characters really under-developed, but that wasn't the case here. Nadia and Winny were both very much real and I felt every emotion that they felt. The supporting characters were terrific and each brought their own unique voice and personalities to the story. Excellent read! Can't wait for more from this author.
Dulcie
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This a wonderful first novel! It was well written and the story flowed - the author didn't bog it down with unnecessary details, as I have seen other authors do. It was a fun, exciting read, very creative and the author did a very good job of making you feel like you were in Nadia's head, as a girl and as a horse! I also enjoyed learning more about the world of horses and showing.
Christine Meunier
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nadia is obviously horse obsessed - the opening lines detail how many routes there are that she can take locally, to bypass horses! With some help from her mother, Nadia secures a working student position at a local prestigious stable... more at http://equus-blog.com/headed-for-the-... ...more
Jami
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I Really enjoyed this adventure! Knowing the writer personally it made the book all that more fun! Horse lovers, Horse showman, and wisher of all kinds will feel as tho you are the main characters! I recommend this book to everyone!
Ruth Casey May
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

I've always loved horse stories, and enjoyed this one very much. It has an unusual twist I think makes this worth reading for any age.
Leigh Hutton
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Super cute read by a fabulous equestrian author :) Loved the description, horsey details and voice of this writer. Will definitely be reading the sequel.

~ Leigh Hutton, author of Jump Girl
Toni Mari
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story, what a unique idea. The barn scenes were vivid and realistic. Young horse enthusiasts would really be enthralled with the idea of becoming their horse. Good job!
Victoria
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Is a great book to read
Nat
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I am pretty sure that the last book I read that had a horse in it was Black Beauty when I was in high school. With my only experience of horses as watching Heartland and McLeod's Daughters, I wasn't too sure what I'd be getting with this.
Overall, it was an enjoyable tale of a girl and her horse trying to win a competition. I really enjoyed it. It was short, sweet, and took me out of my world long enough for me to momentarily forget about everything that's been bothering me.
K.T.
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure what I expected but the dramatic plot twist about a third of the way in certainly wasn't it. I won't ruin the plot, but it did take me by surprise and I had to persevere for a little while afterwards. The author worked it out quite well and it made for a neat book in the end. Children/teens would definitely see the appeal. My biggest itch was with the editing though. The author couldn't seem to decide if the horse was called Whinny or Winny and alternated between the two.
Tara
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!!
Nayuleska
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was a pleasure for me to review this book, as Rachael had found out I enjoy horse books and wanted to know my opinion on her work. This is a heartwarming horse tale about friendship and generosity – how many people happily buy a horse and pay for someone who doesn't have money to ride them? It was an opportunity of a lifetime for Nadia, who overreacted in the early stages of getting to know Winny leading to an incredible change. There were so many things Nadia struggled to get to grips with ...more
Mara
When Nadia and her new horse, Winny, aren't seeing eye-to-eye, a magical birthday wish upon a cupcake changes things right up. Before you know it, Winny is Nadia, and Nadia is Winny. Freaky Friday style.

While the book takes a little too long getting to the body swap plot, Headed for the Win is a cute read that I would recommend for the tween reader. After all, what young girl hasn't wanted to know what their horse is thinking?

Well, Rachel Eliker is here to tell you, and it's probably not what yo
Amanda Wills
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Rachael Eliker has given the modern horse story a brilliant new twist. Horse-mad Nadia makes a birthday wish to better understand her new mare Winny. The plan backfires when she wakes up the next morning to find she and Winny have switched places. The result gives Nadia a unique chance to understand how horses think, and to see the world from their perspective. To walk in their shoes for a while. But the pair don't have long to get to grips with their new personas - t ...more
InD'tale Magazine
The author crafted a main character whose infatuation as well as authentic voice helped this reader to remember what it was like to be a teenager.

Read full review in the 2015 June issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Jenn
Aug 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
This was HORRIBLE. I couldn't even get through it - I have a pretty high tolerance for ridiculous horse books but when the main characters goes from having had a couple of trail rides to going prelim after like 4 months of lessons? Sorry, no.
Kate Robertson
Oct 18, 2014
Anne
Oct 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Rachael Eliker was born and raised in Lincoln, Nebraska, where she attended the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, studying Animal Science with an option in Biology. She currently lives on an acreage in Indiana, with her husband and children where she enjoys challenging home improvement projects, keeping up with a handful of livestock, running on lonely stretches of country road, and writing.

Read mor

Nadia & Winny (2 books)
  • Road to the Regalia (Nadia & Winny #2)