Start by marking “Hello?” as Want to Read:
Hello?

Hello?

One HELLO can change a life. One HELLO can save a life.

Tricia: A girl struggling to find her way after her beloved grandma's death.
Emerson: A guy who lives his life to fulfill promises, real and hypothetical.
Angie: A girl with secrets she can only express through poetry.
Brenda: An actress and screenplay writer afraid to confront her past.
Brian: A potter who sets aside his
Published November 10th 2015 by Spencer Hill Press

To ask other readers questions about Hello?, please sign up.
Liza Wiemer Juana, thank you so much for your question.

One word answer: Deep.

Juana, thank you so much for your question.

One word answer: Deep.

Longer answer: HELLO? opens the curtains into five teens' lives, revealing their deepest secrets. When I speak at high schools, I ask students to think about how they come to school clueless about what goes on in the homes of students they might sit in the same room with nearly every day. The person at school may be very different at home. For example, in HELLO? Angie is careful about the way she dresses, acts. In many ways, she's superficial, though she would never describe herself that way. It's a defense mechanism—armor! As time goes on, she realizes she does/says certain things to protect herself. Her childhood holds many secrets. Her chapters are written in free verse poetry, enabling her to express herself. It's the way she gives voice to what she doesn't want others to see.

HELLO? and its characters have many layers. I was constantly asking myself "why?" "Why would a character do this?" Why is this important?" "Why does a character feel this way?" "Why now?" I have a long list of why questions I think about while writing and editing.

If you read HELLO?, look for the deeper why questions/answers and it's very possible you'll have your own perspective. I'm always in awe when someone connects it to himself or others in a way I hadn't even thought of.

In addition, I wanted to reveal how a simple act—in HELLO? a phone call—can create a chain reaction. How kindness can transform. I personally have experienced many incredible connections. HELLO? shows the beauty and wonderment of serendipity.(less)
Liza Wiemer This is a great question! But it's impossible to only choose one!

This is a great question! But it's impossible to only choose one!

While I was researching the novel, I loved meeting and spending time with students at Sturgeon Bay HS and at Washington Island School. Traveling around Door County helped me to create an authentic setting and present an authentic voice. For me, this was critical in order to bring DC to life on the page.

Also, I'm a teacher. Another best part of writing HELLO? occurred AFTER the book was finished. I absolutely love going to schools to conduct workshops. There is nothing better than meeting students, talking with them, and hearing how their "Hello" stories have changed their lives.

The BEST of the BEST occurred on May 15, 2016, when students from 5 Wisconsin high schools traveled to Washington Island to walk in the footsteps of the characters from HELLO?. By far, that day was the most spectacular day of my life. Seeing how the novel came to life for these students and watching friendships develop was absolutely incredible! (less)
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerEnd of Days by Susan Ee
YA Novels of 2015
1,466 books — 8,876 voters
Winter by Marissa MeyerQueen of Shadows by Sarah J. MaasReturn to Me by Kelly MoranA Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. MaasLiars, Inc. by Paula Stokes
2015 Releases
753 books — 1,453 voters

More lists with this book...

Lucia
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lucia by: Lisa (lifeinlit)
Shelves: ya

"Be the best imperfect you."

Storyline of Hello? simply cannot be summed up in couple of sentences or paragraphs. So instead of telling you about plot of this book, I’m going to give you four reasons why you should be reading this book right now:

#1 Not A Single Reader Will Stay Untouched

Hello? Is deeply moving and emotional story that will grip your heart with its moments of potent intensity. This isn’t fluffy or light story. But if you want to experience all the feels from grief, rage, fear, g
Huntley Fitzpatrick
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hello is an extraordinary book. I'm astonished that this is Liza M. Wiemer's YA debut. Graceful, tender, full of humanity, Hello? follows the lives of five teenagers, told in their own distinctive voices and styles through the events wrapped around a girl reaching out metaphorically in a moment of pain, and the boy who takes her hand in the dark, even though they have never met. I was lucky enough to receive an advance copy of this for early review, and, though my plate was full of deadlines at ...more
Reading Teen
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"I'm an answer, Frankie. Maybe you're an answer for me, too."

HELLO? is a captivating story about fractured families, authentic friendships, and the way lives connect, impact, and transform each other. This book is so originally crafted and beautifully executed that it will stay with you for a very long time.

Becca: So reading a book that a friend has written is always a daunting task. What if you don’t like it? What do you say to them? HOW do you say it? I was freaking out when I first picked it
Jessica | Bookish Serendipity
*ARC received courtesy of the author. This doesn't affect my opinion or review*

Hello? is a unique novel about the power of human connection, complete with lyrical writing, a brilliant cast, and those heartbreaking moments found only in the best of literature. The unflinching honestly of Hello? will make you laugh, cry, and be inspired. One of my favorite reads this year.

When done right, I adore multiple POVs in novels, and Liza has clearly mastered this. The stories of five teens are woven toget
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
After reading a ton of wonderful reviews for this I decided it was time I break my dry YA contemporary spell and take the plunge and give it a go.

I am so very thankful that I did. This is one of those rare cases where the hype really did pay off. This wasn't a trumped up book that let me down or disappointed in the least. In fact, I was enamored with it from the very first chapter.

And let me tell you, I was nervous going into it because of all the different point of views I knew I was going to b
Britt
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
new my review blue

This review was damn near impossible to write since I adored this book so much. It's one of those situations where I just don't feel I have an adequate enough vocabulary to voice my feelings so I'll just fangirl it out for you. I DO NOT READ CONTEMPORARY YA. I just am kinda of past that point in my life and don't have much desire to revisit those years especially through the eyes of someone who ...well isn't me. I get frustrated when characters make stupid decisions and let's face it that is wha
Martina Boone
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brave, beautiful, and wholly original, this story about tantalizing connections and heartbreaking relationships will haunt you, fill you with hope, and leave you smiling.
Lisa (lifeinlit)
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*Sigh*

I read this book weeks ago, and honestly, this is the most difficult review I’ve had to write so far this year. Maybe that’s because this book is my FAVORITE book from 2015. Maybe it’s because I know my words will never do this book justice. Liza’s masterful writing brought this truly amazing and life-changing story to soaring heights. As you can see from its 4.5+ star rating on Goodreads, I’m not alone with the love I feel for this story. Each person that reads this story is touched by it
Kels
So glad I packed this book on my trip. The writing was top-notched, the characters were highly interesting, unique, and dimensional, and the plot was bold and riveting. What more could I have asked for?
Heidi (yabibliophile)
I read an early version and absolutely loved it! Cannot wait to read the final product!!!!
Jillian Heise
I read this pre-submission and now again as final manuscript form, and I'm blown away. High school teachers especially, and WI teachers in particular, keep your eye out for Hello? this fall.

This is how I blurbed this book:
"Liza Wiemer's words evoke the heart of the Door County, WI setting and the teens who reside there with an honesty that will allow the story to resonate far beyond. Elements of faith, grief, family, memories, friendship, love, fear, and hope combine in a profound way that seem
Hannah (The Irish Banana Review)
This book is just as beautiful as the woman who breathed life into it. Brilliantly written, it owned my heart from the first page to the last. First book of 2015 to make me cry. <3

Full review to come closer to release.
Jackie Ullerich
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gripping and unforgettable. Door County, Wisconsin is a wonderful setting. Loved the multiple, distinct voices!
Becca Fowler (PivotBookTotes)
I've been in the most horrible reading slump lately. This PHENOMENAL book brought me out of it. If that doesn't spur you into reading it, I don't know what will.

Longer review to come.
Lynn Sneyd
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
When you read a debut novel that rocks your world, you want to share it with fellow readers, if for no other reason than to know that there is someone else out there who understands why you can't stop raving. Few authors are willing to take the risks that Wiemer took in this story, and few authors would be able to pull off what she so eloquently and cleverly did. HELLO? is the the story of 5 teens whose lives converge in Door County, Wisconsin. Throughout the book, the characters take turns spea ...more
Meg
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Heart-stopping, real, and a breath of fresh air, Liza Wiemer's debut is the kind of story that captivates and sticks with you long after you turn the last page. Poignant relationships between family and friends will grab your attention while stunning writing and authentic characters will leave you unable to stop reading until the very end. Hello? is an absolute must read.

Full Review closer to publication on Swoony Boys Podcast.
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An ARC of this title was gifted by the author. My thoughts are my own. This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Take the unique storytelling method of Illuminae, complete with five different perspectives, and add in a poignant story of grief, loss, love and hope, and you've got Hello? by Liza Wiemer. I was glassy-eyed and sniffling by page three, had the chills at page 23, and readying myself for an all-nighter by page 151. This is an extremely beautiful story, and I felt its loss
Kristina McBride
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.

Liza Wiemer's Hello? is a poignant tale of friendship, love, loss, and resilience. Told from multiple points of view, the richly drawn characters offer a powerful example of how connected we all truly are. This book will compel readers to consider the existence of destiny. Hello? grabbed me from the first page and pulled me right through to the gorgeous ending.
nick
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2015-favorites
hello

I don't even know how I'm going to begin to express how much I loved Hello? by Liza Wiemer. I honestly can't say it was a book that was on my radar to begin with, but something about the summary made me want to pick it up even though typically, even the hint of angst or multiple POVs is enough to chase me away from a book. To say that I'm incredibly happy I read the book would be one of the biggest understatements of the year. Hello? is a poignant and emotional story about 5 teenagers on the sur
Tom
There are so many different openings I came up with to review Liza Wiemer’s miracle of a novel, “Hello?”, yet not one of them really works.

I thought of the REM song lyric, “Everybody hurts, sometimes.” In “Hello?”, everybody hurts at some point or another. Sometimes, it’s because of their own actions—a missed signal given or acted upon, a lie left to fester too long. Other times, the hurt comes from the death of a most-cherished loved one, or memories of long-ago wounds. Still others hurt becaus
Jaime Arkin
Liza has written an amazing and unique story!! Full review to come
Christina
My original review of this title can be found here on The Book Hookup.

**SPECIAL NOTE:** An eARC of this title was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. However, that did not influence this review in any way. All thoughts, quotes, and opinions will be of this version and not of the published edition.

Quick Thoughts and Rating: 4.5 shining stars! This novel was unlike anything I've read before. After two trusted bloggers politely pushed it on me (Thanks Lisa
Kristy Mauna
Guys, it's hard for me to find the right words to explain to you how much I love this book.
The story was so unique - full of heartbreak and hope all at the same time.

"If you forget the past, you're doomed to repeat it.
I can't and won't forget my past."

It is a little slow paced, I mean the book only takes place within a week. I enjoyed this though - usually it becomes boring, especially when you hit the middle of the story and it begins to drag everything out.. but that was not the case in Hell
Mary
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This review was also posted on my blog: http://books-and-cookies.tumblr.com/

Thank you NetGalley and Spencer Hill Contemporary for providing this ARC

Oh my gosh, guys, this book. It was absolutely magical and perfect and lovely and heartbreaking and beautiful. I read it in one sitting and I have absolutely no regret picking it up. At all. It was wonderful, extremely original and a delight to read.

It tells the story of five teenagers, each story being written in a different style: narration (Tricia
Marcilia "The Plot Bunny"
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There is a saying/belief that certain people or things come into our lives for a reason. I believe that in the case of this novel, that belief completely applies. Not just for the characters within the story, but also for the reader. Hello? is the embodiment of all the many ups, downs, and life changing moments we all have experienced in our lives. Especially the transition as we cross that very unstable threshold between teen and adulthood. There are so many of us that have suffered through gri ...more
Xander ForeverBookish
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-tbr
Hello

It’s me

I was wondering if after all these years you’d like to meet

(See what I did there)

Brenda. Angie. Emerson. Brian. Tricia.

Brenda is trying to find her place in the world. She is a screenwriter who is moving to New York soon for college.

Angie is waiting for her boyfriend to ask her to prom. She gets lost in her poetry.

Emerson wants to break up with his girlfriend, but is scared. He gets a call one night from an unknown number.

Brian is an artist who is taking care of his girlfriend. He do
Gayle Rosengren
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
HELLO? is one of those stories that stays with you long after you close the covers of the book. Maybe that's because it has so much of value to say. Maybe it's because it is told by several teen voices. It's a bit like an orchestra with solos performances followed by duets and interactions between two or more instruments. There's some occasional dischord, a steadily increasing tempo, and ultimately some sweet harmony.
HELLO? has a unique and intriguing premise--all initiated by one desperate phon
Amy Giuffrida
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is everything I love in a YA read with the twist of multiple POV. Not only are there 5 very different voices telling their stories, Liza gave these characters even more room to tell their story. She uses free form poetry and script/screenplay writing to emphasize just how different these teens are.

And there are some series issues, which have been handled with beauty and hope. Never have I read something so beautiful and heart-wrenching.
Dvora
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Beautiful. Enlightening. Happy. Sad. Emotional. I can go on and on about all the feels from this book. I couldn't put it down. I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen but I also didn't want it to end. It felt so real. The sadness and the dark clouds. The happiness and the genuine laughs of family and good friendships. I need more!!
Lauren R.
Wow. That was fantastic. Although I was able to predict quite a bit of it, I was anxiously reading and waiting to see how everything unfolded. The epitome of unputdownable. I loved all the connections between everyone and the style each of their perspectives added to the story. So, so excellent.
Hello you id love for you to check out my book. 1 1 Jul 31, 2018 07:35PM
House cleaning services dubai 1 2 May 23, 2017 11:53AM
Young Adult Conte...: #25 Hello? By Liza M. Wiemer 2 16 Jun 22, 2016 07:15PM
hello 2 12 May 17, 2016 01:41PM
  • From Scratch (Blue Plate, #1)
  • Exposed (Captive, #2)
  • Hannah Both Ways
  • Song of Summer
  • What Tears Us Apart
  • Hello, Sunshine
  • Into the Dangerous World
  • Romancing the Nerd (Nerd, #2)
  • The Braid
  • For the Record
  • Nice Girls Don't Ride
  • Trouble from the Start
  • When Joss Met Matt
  • Cashmere (Velvet, #2)
  • Positively Beautiful
  • I'm With Stupid (Stupid Fast, #3)
  • Third Charm (Run to You, #3)
  • Drowning Is Inevitable
My new YA contemporary novel, The Assignment will be published fall of 2020 by Delacorte Press. I am also the author Hello? and two non-fiction adult books, short stories, and newspaper and magazine articles. A pre-school to high school educator now conducting workshops, and writing. I'm a diehard Green Bay Packers fan and I love rooftops and crazy socks.

Author website: http://www.LizaWiemer.com

I
“One HELLO? can change a life.
One HELLO? can save a life.”
13 likes
“If I had one night, I'd hold you in my arms,
Find redemption, no more contention,
Keeping you close. Too long, years gone,
Wasted away. One night, our night,
Remember this. I won't forget you,
No I won't forget you.—Red-Eyed Loons”
12 likes