Start by marking “Lady Parts” as Want to Read:
Lady Parts

Lady Parts

Whether lighting up the small screen, stealing scenes on the big screen or starring on the stage, Andrea Martin has long entertained Canadians with her hilarious characterizations and heartwarming performances. An important player in SCTV, the funniest show ever to come out of Canada, Martin helped change the face of television by introducing us to a host of characters, in ...more
Published September 2nd 2014 by HarperCollins Canada (first published September 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Lady Parts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Parts

J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bio-memoir
I've been in love with the comedic genius of Andrea Martin since her days on SCTV. She was a superb member of that cast that included John Candy, Harold Ramis, Eugene Levy, Martin Short, Dave Thomas, Joe Flaherty, Rick Moranis, and Katherine O'Hara. In LADY PARTS we get a look at the personal history of Martin, including her career and her thoughts on life. It's a light look and an easy read showcasing one of America's finest female entertainers.
Laima
Let me start by saying that I grew up watching SCTV and enjoyed every minute of it!
All the famous comedians acting out crazy comedy sketches had me tuned in each week: John Candy, Catherine O’Hara, Dave Thomas, Martin Short (who is from my home town) Rick Moranis, Joe Flaherty and, of course, Andrea Martin.

I loved Andrea. She was Edith Prickly on SCTV.

She was the voice of Apu's mother on the Simpsons.

She was also aunt Voula in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Just recently she was Berthe in the Broadway
Lynn
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lib-bk, autobiography
Full review: http://books-n-music.blogspot.com/201.... I'm on a roll with reading/listening to memoirs written by female comediennes lately. This was a sincere and heartfelt autobiography and I really have a lot of respect for Ms. Martin. She definitely was brave to detail some of her own life struggles. A very enjoyable read--poignant and yet humorous.
Lori
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
I am a fan of Andrea Martin. so was happy to get the chance to read her memoir. she shares bits and pieces of her life. From her childhood in Maine, to visiting Toronto in 1970 falling in love with the city and working and living there for the next 40 years. Ms.Martin has a real sense of humor.
this memoir is composed of her work in SCTV show in Toronto. she talked about the cast and her friendship with them to this day. her work on Broadway. she even won two Tony's!
I liked reading about her w
Scott
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Andrea Martin, one of the group of geniuses behind SCTV, has written a nice collection of essays about her life and career. It's breezy, funny, and honest, just as I hoped it would be. The book is not a straight life narrative, but more of bits of her life going back and forth in time. It's like you're having dinner at her place and she tells stories that remind her of other stories.

I didn't want the dinner to end. I had a lot of fun the whole way through and learned some things I hadn't been aw
A.E.
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of SCTV, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Godspell the musical, or any of the work Andrea Martin has produced over the years, you're going to love this book. I grew up watching SCTV and look back on many of the sketches fondly, including Edith Prickley.

Andrea Martin's memoir is intensely personal and parts of it feel like a confessional, like she's getting a cathartic sense of relief by getting things off her chest, but it's also tinged with her own brand of humour. I was delighted to
Sue
Apr 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
My book club struggled with whether to rate this book 1 or 1.5. We are all of an age that we grew up watching SCTV and we like Andrea Martin's work as an actress/comedian but were really disappointed with the book. Not well written. Not enough substance. Sorry Andrea.
Cheryl Sinclair
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fascinating read giving lots of insight into her life. Someone you would love to sit and have coffee with.
Jennifer Rayment
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Good Stuff

I had to request this one as I have been told all my life that I look like her (Even Gordon Pinsent) and well quite frankly I grew up on SCTV
Such a beautiful, honest, open and bloody hilarious memoir
Excellent choice with title, but Fake Beaver and Perky Tits would have been wonderful titles as well, though might be hard to market in a family bookstore
After reading her memoir I even feel more close to her. Especially the parenting aspects and the low self esteem about ones body
Mediaman
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir, comedy
Sadly this wonderful actress and comedian has written a pretty boring book, one that sounds like an old lady sitting in a nursing home looking back at life with faded memories. It was nice that a Canadian book company gave her a contract, but then she had to deliver the product and for the first hundred pages it's promising. Then the book takes a nasty turn to nothingness at page 119. After wasting a chapter on why she can think of nothing to write about the next chapter is "Here Are Some Other ...more
David Quinn
Nov 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I’m a huge SCTV fan. I watched it every week and still occasionally watch clips on YouTube. Hilarious, timeless comedy from every regular performer on the show.

This book just isn’t any good for so many reasons. It has none of the clever, nuanced humor I expected. I suppose it was zany in some ways but in a low-brow, vulgar, pandering sort of way.

I’m not sure if AM’s neurotic insecurity was intended to be funny but I found it simply irritating. Other than her descriptions of her paren
Kim
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I discovered SCTV as a young teen,and I would force myself to stay up long enough to watch it every week. I fell in love with the whole cast, so it's always exciting to get a glimpse of what it was like working with such comic geniuses. I have Dave Thomas's book, and I plan on getting Martin Short's as well, but I'm glad Andrea Martin wrote this book because she provides the, well, lady parts (sorry). Her essays encompass nearly her entire life and career, and she has many stories to tell, both ...more
kathy
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this memoir. I've been a big admirer of the author on TV and in movies. It's nice to know her background story. I was impressed while I read this book with everything she has gone through. It has been quite the journey! I think it is a brave thing to write about yourself exposing not only the good stuff but the struggles too. This book is worth reading.
Marie-France Leclerc
I always liked her. I loved her honesty!
Patrick
Oct 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
Very superficial "autobiography" coupled with a disjointed narrative. A disappointing read.
Nada Loughead
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Andrea Martin is a very funny lady - this book gives you a glimpse into the back story of Martin and the joys and sorrows behind the laugh. http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/1...
Christina
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-challenge
An amazing read. I would recommend this book to any one who is a fan of funny and talented women of the world. Her story is captivating, heartbreaking, funny, and so hard to put down.
Eden Thompson
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
From my book blog www.JetBlackDragonfly.blogspot.com
We all love Andrea Martin, and this is an entertaining and unusual autobiography. Really a collection of humorous essays instead of the "I was born a poor Armenian girl" story that many memoirs are.

Andrea was born a poor Armenian girl in Portland, Maine.
Yes, I thought she was Canadian as well, as she is so associated with SCTV and the Toronto scene. Starting on the stage in the 70's with shows like Godspell (with Eugene Levy, Martin Short and G
Tracy
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Andrea Martin’s Lady Parts memoir is a dynamic and quirky slice into the psyche of the comedienne herself. She reveals her Armenian heritage, a brief reminiscence about her complex parents (of which this reader wanted to know more), her neuroses, her mama-bear love for her boys, her performance anxiety, her willingness to face all that scares her, and finally her career on SCTV. Chapters and content don’t necessarily follow a chronological order, and some bits feel like stream-of-consciousness j ...more
Wileyacez
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an utterly enjoyable book. Martin did a lovely job of portraying her life through various chapters cum tales. I also appreciated very much her honesty about what ageing means to females (especially the disappearing eyebrows), even though she has tools at her disposal to offset the worst problems--and she may think she's fat, but I know from FAT. No sympathy for her there. Absolutely loved her backstory on the trips to Atlanta for hair...it's nice to know that even folks who pay $750 for ...more
Tammy Lyn
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Grew up loving Andrea Martin as an actress and comedian - now I love her even more as a woman (even if she isn't Canadian LOL). I had no idea about a large majority of the things she went through and it makes me love her even more for her strength, and for her humour about life. She's the kind of woman you'd love to sit down and have a coffee with and just yap. Writing is done with such fantastic humour and wit. Love it, love her.

Unfortunately, had to read it in spurts because of extremely activ
Ashley
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unlike others, I didn’t grow up watching SCTV. I watched Andrea Martin on Sesame Street, where she played kid-friendly versions of Edith Prickley and Wanda the Word Fairy (Mrs. Falbo). Her memoir is full of hysterical memories about her childhood, diary entries, showbiz and SCTV stories, and more. I enjoy watching her on Great News now. I hope she will write another memoir, and I wish she would do an audiobook of this one! Thanks, Andrea!
David
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Not so much a biography of Andrea Martin, just kind of her musings and recollections on different topics. I believe she referred to it as a series of essays in the book. There are 4 or 5 really good chapters and a few duds, but most were just decent. Worth a look if you're a fan of hers, but I would have LOVED to have read a more thorough account of her life and career.
Fredcdobbs
Good. Funny. But a bit all over the place.

See the headline. Love Andrea M. Just a bit lacking in thr details. In comparison to Martin assorts book, his gad msby more details.
Tom
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Closer to 3.5 but well worth reading. There is quite a bit of filler, which is disappointing because you want to learn even more about Andrea Martin as you read the book. When Ms. Martin hits, though, she really hits, on a humorous and an emotional level.
Erin
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection of personal essays from one of my favorite performers. Martin is from the Madeline Kahn school of multi-talented hyphenate. These are about family; growing older, show business, & why it’s perfectly acceptable to fly to Atlanta to get your hair done.
John Kube
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun and easy read. Not an autobiography technically speaking, but as she says in the book, a collection of essays about her life. I was a huge fan of SCTV when it originally aired and she had some nice words about that time period.
Daniel DeLappe
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the best actor biography I have ever read. I will start off by saying I am a huge fan of the author. This book shared so much of her as a person I loved it. This book made me even a bigger fan. A fan of SCTV, or not this is a fantastic book and worth the read. Great great stuff.
S Kudelka
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable reading. Filled with anecdotes, both funny and moving.
Annette
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious somewhat memoir of Andrea Martin from SCTV and movies. Her chapter on the effects of aging had me snorting water through my nose- she's that funny!

Highly recommended if you are a fan.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Steven Universe: Too Cool for School
  • Nelson Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
  • I Met the Walrus: How One Day with John Lennon Changed My Life Forever
  • Charles Dickens and the Great Theatre of the World
  • Under Their Thumb: How a Nice Boy from Brooklyn Got Mixed Up with the Rolling Stones (and Lived to Tell About It)
  • Never Hit a Jellyfish With a Spade: How to Survive Life's Smaller Challenges