Start by marking “Leaping Lizards” as Want to Read:
Leaping Lizards

Leaping Lizards (MathStart Level 1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  49 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Stuart J. Murphy travels all over the UnitedStates talking to thousands of kids. And you'll never believe what they talk about: MATH! Stuart shows kids that they use math every day -- to share a pizza, spend their allowance, even sort socks. Stuart writes funny stories about math -- and if you read his books, you'll start to see the fun in math, too.

Leaping Lizards

The show
Published August 23rd 2005 by HarperCollins (first published August 11th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Leaping Lizards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaping Lizards

Rita
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
This book is a great book to teach students about skip counting by 5s and tens. Also, you can accommodate your students by asking them to count by 2s if 5s are to hard. The students will enjoy following along through this vibrant book. The illustrations are awesome and I'm sure the students will love this book.
JoAnna
Oct 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is about a young girl named Buddy who has a younger sister with Down’s syndrome. She always feels taunted by that and then when her father loses his job, they have to leave their home and move to a farm that was inherited to them. When she thinks life could not get any worse, she finds out that one of her friends is becoming an alcoholic and her other close friend was abandoned by his father. It talks about many family conflicts and opens Buddy’s eyes about her life. At the end of the ...more
Samantha Fate
This is a great book for children who are just starting to learn to count by fives or tens. The snake in the book goes around looking for the show lizards and finds them in groups of fives or tens. Whenever a new group is found, there is an area on the page that counts the total number of lizards they have and they also in the story count to see how many lizards they have found. Once they get to fifty lizards, they can start the show. This book is great for kids to follow along to and count as t ...more
Dolly
Oct 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
This is another fun story in the MathStart series by Stuart J. Murphy. We like these books; they incorporate math principles into the story and show how math is fun and necessary for everyday life.

This is a fun, rhyming tale that helps children count by fives and tens. It has colorful illustrations with lots of interesting little lizards. The narrative is rhythmic and short, so it is simple for beginning readers. And it makes counting fun, too. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Erica Garl
This is a children's book with an underlying math concept to be learned. While trying to prepare for the show to the start, the snake soon realizes are the lizards are missing. They then begin to arrive in groups of five and then ten until all fifty of them are there and the show can start. This introduces the basic idea of counting and adding by grouping. I love the bright colors through out the book and idea that it is very child friendly. There are many ways that this book could also be used ...more
Candice Mckinnon
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-book-shelf
Leaping Lizards is a cute book for young children who are beginning to learn how to count and add. It works with numbers up to 50 using clear and understandable language. The pictures are big and colorful with objects that children can count. The concept of this book is counting by 5's and 10's, so if teachers are working on this in the classroom, Leaping Lizards would be a great book to read. It also includes games that you can play working with 5's and 10's in the index.
Sebin
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I would use this book to teach students about counting by 5's and 10's. This book has an interesting storyline of a snake looking for the performers and then the lizards leap into groups of five (5) then ten (10) until all 50 are on stage. The colorful illustrations are appealing and you could accommodate for your higher level thinkers by raising the total to 100+.
Sa Ho
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Leaping Lizards is a math book for young children who are beginning to learn how to count and add. This book helps children learn counting by fives and tens. We also have more fun with the math concepts. Thank you author.
Nicole Holden
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This book will be great for students who are learning to county by 5's and also counting by 10's. Counting by 5's and 10's will be helpful when learning to count money, tell time, or learn to multiply.
Ashley
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: math
Great story to accompany lessons on ten frames and making tables.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
PICTURES & WORDS, STORIES & BOOKS
MathStart http://www.mathstart.net
I See I Learn http://www.iseeilearn.com

I was one of those kids who talked all the time in class. I loved telling stories. One day in the 4th Grade, my teacher said, “You tell such good stories, maybe you should try writing some of them down.” “Wow,” I thought. “She thinks my stories are good.” That’s when I started to real
More about Stuart J. Murphy...

MathStart Level 1 (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Beep Beep, Vroom Vroom!
  • The Best Bug Parade
  • Bug Dance
  • Circus Shapes
  • Double the Ducks
  • Every Buddy Counts
  • The Greatest Gymnast of All
  • Henry the Fourth
  • A House for Birdie (MathStart Level 1)
  • It's About Time!