Start by marking “The Goddess Within: A Guide to the Eternal Myths that Shape Women's Lives” as Want to Read:
The Goddess Within: A Guide to the Eternal Myths that Shape Women's Lives

The Goddess Within: A Guide to the Eternal Myths that Shape Women's Lives

Two Jungian psychologists discuss the influence the classic Greek goddesses have on a woman's psyche and how women can bring the different goddess energies into harmony for greater strength and new insights into their lives.
Published April 7th 1999 by Ballantine (first published October 7th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Goddess Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goddess Within

Start your review of The Goddess Within: A Guide to the Eternal Myths that Shape Women's Lives
Talie
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am interested in mythology, psychoanalysis and feminism. This book covers all of them. It gave me fascinating insights and helped me to know myself.
Wynnie
Feb 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If I could pick one goddess archetype I am most like...isn't really the focus in this book. It's about how we have all these different goddess archetypes and qualities within us (and more of certain ones depending on our individual stage in life): lover, thinker, feeler, leader, mate, wild primal huntress and nurturer. We are all of that. Not just a character from a Greek tragedy or Roman religious belief system. When someone asks you what character are you most like, or what "type" are you, ...more
Steve
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've read Roger Woolger before and like his work, and this book is fascinating. It makes me hopeful that the rise of women's equality in the U.S. can help our world culture transcend the male dominated history we've had for eons. This is a history book and not targeted for women only, so guys - feel free to read it.
KATHY
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book at the College of DuPage library in 2007 as a student there. The Goddess Within combines psychology, feminism, and mythology in order to understand how mythology and folktales have influenced women's lives. It's mostly Greek and Roman mythology from what I remember.
ShanTil Yell
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a fascinating combination of Jungian psychology and Greek mythology. This book was my first proper introduction to the writings of Jungian analysts, and a revisitation of the latter—I fell in love with the pantheon as a child, especially the goddesses Artemis and Athena! (Speaking as a strong Athena type myself, I appreciated all the different texts and studies that were referenced. In classic form, I’m planning to dive into many of them as soon as possible.)

I knocked off a star because
Leigh Anne
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Myths that shape WHITE women's lives, it should say. Dinging it one star for it being a product of its time. Better we use this book, though, than start culturally appropriating stuff that isn't technically ours...

Anyway, if you are woman-identified, male-identified and exploring your feminine side, or just cool with Greek mythology in general, there's a lot in this volume for you. The authors posit that every woman embodies, to a greater or lesser degree, the archetypal qualities of the big six
Christi
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christi by: Lacie
This was a really interesting take on personality styles and how to find balance in your life (and in society as a whole). The book addresses the six different archetypes that most women find in their personalities and then goes in-depth explaining all of them and how they affect decisions, character, goals, etc. It was fun to see and taking the test 2/3s of the way through the book is fun. I got a lot out of it to think about. That being said, sometimes I didn't completely agree with where the ...more
Heather Domin
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've had a strong connection to Greek mythology all my life, but I'm only just now beginning to seriously study this type of analysis. I know 'Goddesses in Everywoman' is more popular, but this book was a better place for me personally to start. Some things are dated (mostly in how the word 'feminism' is used and the implication that homosexuality is a reaction rather than an inborn trait, which, no), but there's a whole lot here that resonates with me. I look forward to studying more.
Heather
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I consider this book an excellent read. I would highly suggest that every woman read it. It is NOT some artsy new-agey type of book, but based on Jungian psychology showing how the archetypes of the Greek goddesses affect each and every woman's life.
Guy
Jan 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Disappointed in the book. After reading M.L. von Franz and C.G. Jung, I found the arguments presented somewhat flaccid. Perhaps a good introduction to the archetypal theory, but not for the person who has a good back ground in Jungian psychology.
Phyllis
Jun 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
myths. I read part of this.
Krista
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all women
Recommended to Krista by: found in library
Shelves: book-iihave-read
This book shows the many sides a woman can have. using Old myth.
Jana
Sep 13, 2009 marked it as to-read
a psychological study of many ancient archetypes that are evident in modern society. very interesting.
Steph Burnside

• The Inner Voice of Love
  • The Lifespan of a Fact
  • Other Lives, Other Selves: A Jungian Psychotherapist Discovers Past Lives
  • Mysteries of Demeter: Rebirth of the Pagan Way
  • The Pearl Sister (The Seven Sisters #4)
  • The Seven Sisters (The Seven Sisters, #1)
  • Svētais, sērfotājs un firmas prezidente
  • The Explosive Child
  • An Ice Cold Grave (Harper Connelly, #3)
  • The Gods Themselves
  • The Watcher
  • The Silent Quarry (Winter Meadows Series #1)
  • Playing with Fire