Start by marking “The Once and Future Goddess” as Want to Read:
The Once and Future Goddess

The Once and Future Goddess

A richly illustrated testament to the reemergence of the Goddess in the art and in the lives of contemporary women and men. In this beautifully illustrated and far-reaching history. Elinor Gadon vividly weaves words and images to demonstrate the powerful connections between ancient and contemporary art, between the Goddess of the Ice Age and the Goddess of today.
Published November 29th 1989 by HarperOne (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Once and Future Goddess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Once and Future Goddess

Start your review of The Once and Future Goddess
Kelly
Nov 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
When I first flipped through this book I felt energy swirl around me. It's all about images of female creative energy down through time. It's almost like tracking the apocrypha of history.
Michaela Hutfles
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
In the beginning I wanted to kick the author in the ovaries, her assumptive arrogant imperious introduction made me hate everything about the author. That said, skip the introduction and go straight to the text, her agenda will still be evident, but slightly more palatable.
She often puts the horse before the cart stating things about "non-violent" prehistoric cultures before stating the evidence that leads to this belief/theory. Which personally I find maddening as the evidence for this is
Tristy
This is one of the books that totally changed my life. It begins with showcasing prehistoric Goddess art and details several hypotheses as to how and why the sacredness/worshiping of the Goddess was ground out by patriarchal forces. Interspersed throughout the book are some incredibly powerful images of works art, covering almost all mediums. I often re-read this book when I need to brush up on my Goddess history, or want to be re-inspired by the incredibly powerful feminist art of the 1980's, o ...more
Leesa Wilson
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This is one of the most deeply wise, fascinating, and validating books I have ever read on the Goddess. Elinor W. Gadon delves into a truth so ancient and obvious that one wonders how we were ever deceived and controlled by the patriarchy in the first place. If you are on the edge of awakening, and need something solid to hold on to... the information and art shared in this book will surely enlighten and empower. It's been in my library for over 20 years, and I still marvel at the abundance of b ...more
Liaken
Jul 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: le-corps
Lots of speculation or seeing things through a very particular lens. It has some fascinating information, but I found myself feeling skeptical often enough to be bothersome because there was so much "certainty" where I saw lots of room for "who knows?"
Felicia
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book most influenced my art for the last twelve years.
Annierobert
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is great if your a chick that just went through a bad break up. I like the historical aspects of it but it is very Wiccan/Feminist.
Amanda J
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
I had the opportunity not only to read The Once and Future Goddess, but also to hear Elinor Gadon speak. The text is richly illustrated and Gadon, an art historian, presents her material well. Nevertheless, I did not feel the text was well suited for those interested in religous studies as much as for those looking to understand goddess imagery in art.
Nancy
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this book on a recent reading list. It is a sweeping historical, anthropological, archaeological, religious, artistic, literary and mythological study of the sacred feminine. Even though the book was first published well before 2000, it is timely and is still recommended.The author is a cultural historian at the Women's Studies Research Center at Brandeis University.
Roy
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a must for any artist to see the increase in feminist art from 1970-the present in the context of the documentation of the rise of Goddess/Earth Mother consciousness. Documents the suppression of the goddess and the woman's role in society by patriarchal religions. Generously illustrated and referenced.
Kristen
Sep 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very beautiful, visually stimulating book of the history of goddess worship. I'd recommend it for any pagan or Witch's book case!
Valentina
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful reference book on the origins and future of Goddess worship!
Carole Brooks Platt
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent for goddess studies!
Yvonne
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was assigned to me via a religious studies course I took in university. I loved this book. It's written with an academic flair that may seem boring to some but I enjoyed it.
Jennifer Hinton
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book struck as a rehash of other author's thinking and research. After reading it, I felt like it added nothing new to my understanding of the subject matter. Perhaps, a good read if you are absolutely new to this topic. If you've already read a lot of Gimbutas' works, I would forget it. That said, I have seen many good reviews of this book from artists, I am not one. Perhaps, they come to it with a different perspective.
Irene
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
As one interested in archaeology I am more inclined to believe the information shared in this book. Especially since so much of the information we have been taught are designed to create belief in the those people who hold power. Especially the teachings of the bible, so much of it is abut violence against the others, and the taking of property and others by those with superior weapons.
Catherine Veritas
Learn your women's history through art, from Venus of Willendorf to Judy Chicago and beyond. Beautiful color plates inspire on every level. An all around fantastic book.
Denise M
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!
Onute
Apr 10, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to sell this book
MJ
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read in conjunction with class at UUFA. Wonderful thing bout internet--I wasn't able to finish before leaving for Yakima--but I can put it on hold there with my mom's card.
Rosemary Bloom

• The Awakened Family: A Revolution in Parenting
  • Mysticism and Philosophical Analysis
  • The Myth of the Goddess: Evolution of an Image
  • The Goddesses and Gods of Old Europe: Myths and Cult Images
  • Own Your Self: The Surprising Path beyond Depression, Anxiety, and Fatigue to Reclaiming Your Authenticity, Vitality, and Freedom
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • Isis Unveiled
  • Mysteries of the Dark Moon: The Healing Power of the Dark Goddess
  • Celandine
  • The Company of the Silver Hare
  • The Witchfinder's Sister
  • Finding My Voice: My Journey to the West Wing and the Path Forward
  • Bad Girls & Wicked Women: The Most Powerful, Shocking, Amazing, Thrilling and Dangerous Women of All Time
  • Heart's Blood
  • Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1)