Start by marking “nejma” as Want to Read:
nejma

nejma

all
of the
unsleeping. gold sweeping. poems.
i have in my hands.
Published June 16th 2014

To ask other readers questions about nejma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about nejma

Start your review of nejma
Allie Mullin
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: healing, poetry
Nayyirah Waheed is brilliant, as always. Before I recommend this book, I would like to point out that her work is intended for POC (people of color). She has been subjected to quite a bit of appropriation lately, and whitewashing her words to fit a broader context is unacceptable. She is okay with non-POCs reading and appreciating, but please do your research on white privilege and appropriation before picking up this very important book.

These are Waheed's own words on the subject: ...more
Riley
I love Salt. by Nayyirah Waheed so I was excited for this collection as well. But it didn't pack the same punch as Salt. There were a few lines that I loved, mainly being the famous
"I am mine before I am ever anyone else's."

but other then those few I didn't love anything else. I would say you can skip this and just read Salt
Shatha
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"the whole book is weeping.
and
every pore of this book is joy.
that is the feast."
Whitney Atkinson
Gorgeous. I always say I hate short, sentence-like poetry, but this is injected full of meaning and empowerment and I can’t recommend it enough.
Anish Kohli
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“i am writing this book.
i am writing a daughter”
This is another BR with THE most crazy and weird awesome Sillyheaded lady. And no, by BR, I do not mean buddy read. I mean this is a Buddy Review!! We read the book months apart but we’re posting our reviews together. Let’s do this, yo!!

This book! This damn book! This damn author! I love her! I have no words to explain just how beautifully she writes and how she reaches deep inside and just changes and makes you feel something, a thing you didn’t even kno
Yamna Rashid
i sang a god alive for you

every poem. here.
is an unwrite.
of all that has been written in me without. permission.

Once again, posting a book review with Dear Old Koko Kohli
'Sup, matie?
And of course, credits of the book recommendation go to Ms Koko XD

I LOVE POETRY. I LOVE POETRY. I. FREAKING. LOVE. POETRY.
Just wanted to put it out there that I absolutely, completely, inherently, charismatically, willfully, unconditionally adore good poetry. It has probably become one of my most favorite genres (which I think is a bit of a paradox and bit funny
Noura
I wanted to love this, because Salt blew me away when I first read it, but sadly I didn't. It was an enjoyable read with some of the most quotable lines I've ever read but still I felt like there was something missing this time around. Like she was just going through the motions.

I don't know what else to say because that's what I got from the book.
m o ☾ n y
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
That was so beautifully written at some points but so lame and repetitive at others. I'm confused about this book. I think I liked it but not enough.
Ammara Abid
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"this whole book is weeping.
and
every pore of this book is joy.
that is the feast. "

Painstakingly-beautiful. I really love Nayyirah Waheed's writing style, she persuasively describes
the throes of life,
colour & race discrimination & the
whole story in few stanzas.

I like this one too but her previous book 'salt' had a stronger impact on me.

Few of my favorite lines are:

"a poem can eat a person
whole.
for years. "

"melanin is memo/>"melanin/>"a
Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~)
Let me just say it, I fucking ADORE Nayyirah Waheed. If that woman were to publish a shopping list, I'm certain I'd read it because her words reek of tenderness and grief and anger and ache and longing and love and hurt and pain and joy and life and everything that is beautiful and hideous in this world.
Tudor Vlad
you are here for you.
your existence is yours.
Nov 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads, poetry
Stunningly painful, dazzlingly bitter, angst-ridden at times, and soul touching collection.

I liked this one as well, but Salt. hit me harder.
Ikram
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Imen Benyoub
This one felt more personal than Salt. , but I loved it still, Nayyirah clearly has some daddy issues ( i feel , girl , i feel )
Manisha
(what is the necessity of a black child being this high off of whiteness.)

and so. we are here. brown babies. worshipping. feeding. the glutton that is white literature. even after it dies.

I really loved reading these poems. It is definitely meant for people of colour, since on some level, we could all understand what Waheed is trying to communicate. They focused a lot on identity. On being who you are no matter what others say who you are.

i am mine.
before i am ever/>
i
Desirée Venn Frederic
"drop a name in the water.
drop a name in the water.
and a name in the water.
drop another name in the water.
until
there are no more bodies in your body."

-the rivering, nayyirah waheed | from 'nejma'

nayyirah waheed is a messenger. nejma is her scroll. her words electric, jolting the Spirit to see it's self anew. in nejma, waheed reveals hersel
Silk
Jul 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved Salt by Nayyirah Waheed so I was a bit expectant, I still enjoyed this a lot but it might've been too joyous for me. Most poems hinted to heavy subjects yet they were still lovely.
Romie
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I expected to love it a lot more, I didn't, but it's alright, I can't love everything :)

“some words. the way they look at you...”
“(may i tell you something.)
the words.
they are in love with you.”

3.75
Darkowaa
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Nope! Her collection of poems - 'Salt' is way better than this. These poems seemed quite disconnected and random. I repeat- Nayyirah Waheed's book, 'Salt' is waaay better. Read that instead lol.
ellie
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
2.5. I loved a lot of them but there were just too many weird one line statements that I scrolled through in like one minute. And maybe some of them were meant to evoke thought for hours, but sentences like :

“you were three years of water.”

Or

"there is oil in the water.”

Really ruined the collection for me. I guess I just missed the mark. The two stars are for the two poems I really, really loved:

whenever i think about
my mother and father. and the amount of
cruelty
i hav/>
whenever/>"there
M.S. León
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Always worth your time

Consider reading this as you won't be disappointed. Nayyirah Waheed's poetry is soul and heart. Like nothing I've come across in a good while. Her work is a brilliant breath of fresh air.
Fatma Yalçın
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-english
Nayyirah Waheed is bold and powerful in her poetry. I met her with her latest book salt. - and fell in love with her writing - and was dying to read Nejma since then but could not pick it up until yesterday. Although it may be a late discover for me, I believe that I read this book at the right time in my life. I may not be an individual of color but as a feminist woman in a Muslim community, I feel her struggle closer to me at this age. Nejma is a strong manifesto from Nayyirah Waheed and I def ...more
Hiba Arrame
I am a poetry person, I love poetry, but what I just read didn't wow me, it was plain, somehow similar to Salt by the same writer.
Some parts were fun, others were just bleh.
Christine Spoors
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
I really enjoyed Salt and so I decided to pick up Waheed's second poetry book, Nejma. Whilst I preferred Salt, this collection of poems was really enjoyable and covered a lot of important topics just like the first. Her writing is beautiful and I find that her poetry flows so nicely. I haven't read enough poetry to properly review this collection, the only thing I disliked was that I felt some repetition went on for a little too long (but again, I don't know much about poetry!)

"With a definitio/>"With
Míriam
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brown
This book was like OK, and I was a bit disappointed. Maybe it came out too early and the author needed more time, but after reading salt. (that was amazing) I expected something more.
Some poems felt unfinished, not as clear and direct as those in salt., and definitely not as touching and harsh.

Anyway, we'll give her as much time as she needs to write her next book
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Seeing as Nayyirah Waheed's other poetry collection, salt., is one of my absolute favorite reads of the year, I expected to love this collection just as much... but I just didn't. Her writing has definitely improved since this collection.
Justine
this whole book is weeping.
and every pore of this book is joy.
and that is the feast.

Goshdarnnit! There were repetitive poems here BUT DAMN hits the spot. I fu*king adore you Nayyirah!
Aleksandra
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
"every poem. here.
is an unwrite.
of all that has been written in
me without. permission."
Jolien
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017, poetry
I still think she is a great poet. But quite honestly, this didn't have nearly the impact on me salt. had.
Lucy Baldock
Aug 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I should have read this before Salt because unfortunately I didn’t really enjoy it. I barely highlighted anything in this collection. Nothing is memorable for me, hardly anything resonated with me, and I don’t know if that’s because I expected more after Salt, or because this genuinely wasn’t as good. I hate being too negative in reviews but I wouldn’t recommend this. The only line I really loved was; “I am mine before I am ever anyone else’s”.
Vivek Tejuja
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another glorious read by Nayyirah Waheed and she manages to strike yet another chord with me. I mean one book after the other and I just want to lap and take everything she has to offer. Her words are deliciously bitter, lonely and angst-ridden. All they want is an audience – ears that will take it all in and reflect. Souls that will be moved and perhaps prompted to do something about the atrocities of the world.

“Nejma” by Nayyirah Waheed is a poetry collection which is kinda overlooked in the

• Bone
  • All The Things I Never Said
  • Shake Loose My Skin: New and Selected Poems
  • Pillow Thoughts
“i am mine.
before i am ever anyone else's.”
493 likes