Start by marking “Transfer of Power (Mitch Rapp, #3)” as Want to Read:
Transfer of Power (Mitch Rapp, #3)

Transfer of Power (Mitch Rapp #3)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  35,188 Ratings  ·  1,645 Reviews
A band of terrorists has taken over the White House and has the President trapped in an emergency bunker. CIA operative Mitch Rapp is sent to save the hostages, but someone in the government is working to make sure he fails.
Published 1999 by Simon & Schuster

RedemptionDenied
I really enjoyed this book, which is the fourth novel I've read by the author. The other three books I've read are: The Third Option, Kill Shot and his debut; Term Limits.

Bandar Abbas, Iran.

It starts off with Mitch Rapp on a mission with Seal Team Six to (retrieve?) abduct, Sheik Fara Harut' leader of Hezzbollah - a militant Islamic Group, who is believed to have information about an imminent attack that is going to take place somewhere in the United States. Once the mission is accomplished, whi
Luffy
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I read a political thriller, or any kind of thriller. This book was prophetic, and hence became a trendsetter of a bestseller. Did the author write his debut novel thinking it might be his last? I asked that question while reading, because crazy things happen, and the scope and the stakes are off the charts.

I absolutely loved the pacing of Transfer of Power. The way the late author achieved this monstrous pacing is by involving the bit players in the action and weav
Matthew
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matthew by: Corey
Action packed anti-terrorist adventure. Lots of bad-assery in the same vein as the original Die Hard. The characters are the basic character types you see in this type of story, but that is just fine with me! This was my first Vince Flynn, but it won't be my last.

If you like Tom Clancy and/or Brad Thor, check this one out!
Mark Alford
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my third book by Vince Flynn. It is absolutely fantastic. If you like the show 24, you'll love reading these books. Flynn writes like Tom Clancy, but without the lengthy digressions that Clancy puts in about submarines. Replace those with more action. Fantastic!
Jim
Another good action packed novel, although I had to keep gritting my teeth at all the silent gun shots. Bomb time seemed pretty convenient, too. Oh well, it was fun. Definitely a lot of tension. I'm not sure if I'll read another soon or not, though. 3 in a row might be enough.
R * A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

I would assume that this has everything one would want in a military-spy-action-drama story. It has a step by step, detailed look from all players involved, from the terrorists to the hostages to the heroes - and everything in between as politics, press, and multiple governments do battle for their cause.

For some reason, this type of story can always hold my attention, because I can’t resist a hardened bad ass alpha who takes charge and saves the world, and Mitch Rapp epitomizes that an
Paul O'Neill
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you loved 24, you'll love this. This was written before 9/11 which I found really interesting. I'll be reading the next book very soon. This is the first book that was published and although it's marked #3, this is the best place to start.
Freda Malone
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Terrorists take over executive mansion, slaughter dozens, hold nearly 100 hostages before U.S. president is evacuated to an underground bunker. Mitch Rapp, CIA's top counterterrorism operative, learns that someone in their own government wants his rescue to fail.

Taking over the White House makes any novel look good but when it is coupled with great characters and Mitch Rapp, I'm all over it. This book was written away from the real secrets in the layout of the White House and the strategic resp
Jack
Oct 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you want a break; just a good read, a page turner.

Transfer of Power gets great reviews and it fills the bill. But once I started reading I was surprised to find a full throated jihadi terrorist attack on the White House written in 1999, before 9/11.

I hope Flynn got royalties from the TV show "24".

I have a few minor quibbles with the writing which flirts at times with descent into "Aw Shucks!!!" cliches.

Also, Vince, as a lifelong resident of Ohio, I must point out that there is no Democ
Eric
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of spy thrillers
Recommended to Eric by: George Damanis
This novel -- which despite being listed as the third Mitch Rapp book is actually the first that Flynn wrote (he later wrote two prequels) -- may be the perfect military thriller. I'd highly recommend this book, and the whole series, for anyone that likes or has any interest in the genre. Vince Flynn truly was a master, and he will be missed. Fuck cancer.
Jane Stewart
The first half is barely 3 stars, but the second half is exciting, engaging, and felt good at the end.

A lot of the story is cliched characters - done too many times before and predictable. The Vice President had no brains and followed whatever his smarmy chief of staff (Dallas King) told him to do. Dallas made all decisions based on polls, public opinion, and future election possibilities rather than something intelligent. Those parts pulled the story down - made it drag.

The bad guy was evil in
Toni Osborne
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rafique Aziz, a notorious Arab terrorist finds a weak point in American politics. By posing as a wealthy campaign contributors he gains access to the White House. At the same time his group of thugs infiltrate the executive mansion, slaughtering dozens of innocent bystanders, taking numerous hostages, thus sealing off and taking control of the White House. President Hayes manages to escape to his underground bunker before the bloodbath.

Top CIA counterterrorism operative Mitch Rapp is sent in to
Lena
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cia

”Nothing else mattered, especially not the political operative who had brought this snake into the White House.”

Better than Olympus Has Fallen and White House Down combined is the original, and politically damning, Vince Flynn version, Transfer of Power. These books are my new obsession. It’s 3:30 in the morning and I was suppose to wake up at 4:30 - I blame you for this Flynn!

Damn cowardly Hollywood for not making this version into a movie. Done well, this story could make a better movie t
Jenny
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
It was a long time coming, but I finally forayed into the renowned (at least in my family) Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn. I figured I might like it because second to books that take place in NYC, I really enjoy reading books that take place in Washington, D.C. There's just something so significant and powerful about stories that take place in our nation's capital, even if they're fiction. But the renowned issue... Mitch Rapp (well, okay, the series in general and of course, author Vince Flynn ...more
Scott Rhee
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
Back in the days of the Cold War and the Evil Empire, Tom Clancy was king of the military techno-thriller. I'll be honest, I stopped reading Clancy after "Rainbow Six", which was a lot of right-wing garbage about eco-terrorists who want to release a poisonous gas at the Olympics because they were pissed off people weren't recycling aluminum cans... or something like that. Nowadays, Clancy doesn't even write his own books. He just puts his name on the cover to sell copies, much like other "franch ...more
Ashish Iyer
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've recently discovered Vince Flynn and his Mitch Rapp character. This is my third Mitch Rapp novel and my conclusion is that Vince Flynn is the leader of the pack when it comes to political thrillers. He has no close competition.

I found Transfer of Power to be just as entertaining as Flynn's first two novel. In my opinion, both books have been well researched. The operations of the military's special forces units and also domestic law enforcement seem extremely realistic. I believe this is evi
Corey
The Mitch Rapp series just keeps getting better and better! I found this one to be very different than American Assassin, and Kill Shot, and by the writing style I could tell that it was Flynn's first book written in the series. The plot in Transfer of Power involves a group Arab Terrorists taking over the White House and trying to kidnap the President was has gotten to his underground bunker when they started to take over, and Rapp is sent in to neutralize the threat. This book had a lot of sim ...more
Nate
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very fun and tense action scenes, but they were really bookends to 500 pages of boring governmental bureaucracy and Rapp fucking around with camera systems in the White House. At a certain point it became obvious that Flynn was beating me over the head with the whole “bleeding-heart liberals are impotent when it comes to life and death situations and a lot of the time people are more focused on their own careers than serving the greater good.” I wasn’t offended by this stuff, nor do I disag ...more
Ali
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
It has been a long time since I have read a political thriller. I read this book in a weekend - I couldn't put it down! Now I remember why I don't read these type of books - they take over my life. I felt like there was a lot of suspense that kept me turning the pages. There are lots of charachters to keep track of.
Todd
Mar 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this 3 stars, only because I read the book in a day, so it obviously kept my attention. The book definitely had its moments of suspense and excitement, I'll say that, but I was expecting a bit more. The characters were a bit vacuous and more caricatured than real, it's like the book was written by an obvious Republican who wants nothing more than to demonise Democrats as morons and narcissists. That part was really transparent.

This book is for commando fans, commando wannabes and comm
Joe
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
The third book in the Mitch Rapp series; originally the first until two prequels and origin story books were written.

Mitch Rapp is an unofficial CIA assassin and counter-terrorism expert. A surprisingly plausible sounding terrorist attack and siege of the White House occurs. Rapp gets bought in and goes in to sort things out, despite political wrangling and dubious dealing.

A intelligent and well-written action thriller with political elements. It reads very much like a big Hollywood action movie
Leon Aldrich
The GR librarian who marked this as #1 in the series needs to double check their work. They caused me to read another series out of sequence.

Ordering #1 & #2 and prepping the coffee machine.

Time to read em' again. Although it didn't resonate the same, I can't find it in me to change my rating.

Apparently this is my third time through the series; still saddened we lost this author.
Jilrene ♥
O. M. G. This book. I love it! Sure, it stretches reality a bit, but I love it. Action, suspense, and just a hint of snark.

I listened to the Audible edition, and the narrator was good. He does different voices for each character. I just like the other narrator better.
ElaineY
REVIEW OF SECOND LISTEN: AUGUST 23, 2017
I enjoyed this even more the second time around, despite my first listen being only 2 years ago. Having moved on to other action/espionage novels since discovering Vince Flynn, what stands out for me is that his plots aren't very complex yet holds my interest and I feel the tension and suspense easily. Other series, like Brad Taylor's Pike Logan or even Brad Thor's Scott Harvath, don't give me the same thrills (but I'm still following them).
---------------
Andre
I struggled to get through this book, seriously why is this novel so popular? I have no idea... it's not well written, it's boring, way too long and Mitch Rapp has absolutely nothing going for him. Bland and zero depth as a character. Not recommended. Glad this one is finished, no more Mitch Rapp for me after this. Reading Lee Child in stead!
Glenn
Mar 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Transfer of Power" by Vince Flynn is an exceptionally well written, well paced action novel that is literally impossible to put down. "Can't put it down" is one of the most overused cliches in publishing but in this case it happens to be true. I devoured it in a handful of sittings. Rarely have I enjoyed a political thriller more.
The plot, which in a post September 11 world takes on new significance, involves the capture of the White House by a group of Middle Eastern terrorists and the effort
Julie
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, i-own-it
I just can't put these books down. This one was great. It was like the ultimate episode of 24 - if they haven't made this into a movie already they should. The politicians in these books are believably despicable, the action is intense, and you completely root for the "good guys." I couldn't wait until the copy of the next book came back to the library so I ran out and bought the next one immediately. This guy can write!
Yvonne
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this action thriller. Great "super-hero" doing incredible things!
Loads of fun with just a hint of romance. Will be reading what Mitch Rapp does next in "The Third Option".

Recommended for action lovers who want an Uber-Alpha in their life for a view hours!
Kelly
Jul 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, thrillers
4.5 stars. Love Vince Flynn, love Mitch Rapp...maybe I just love testosterone :)
Dave Schultz
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying re-reading this series. Flynn was by far the best author in this genre.
419 READs: Antonio 1 2 Jan 11, 2016 07:18PM
  • The First Commandment (Scot Harvath, #6)
  • Coup d'Etat (Dewey Andreas, #2)
  • Prince of Fire (Gabriel Allon, #5)
  • Pirate (Alexander Hawke, #3)
  • The Ghost War (John Wells, #2)
  • On Target (Gray Man #2)
The fifth of seven children, Vince Flynn was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1966. He graduated from the St. Thomas Academy in 1984, and the University of St. Thomas with a degree in economics in 1988.

After college he went to work for Kraft General Foods where he was an account and sales marketing specialist.

In 1990 he left Kraft to accept an aviation candidate slot with the United States Marine C
More about Vince Flynn...

Mitch Rapp (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • American Assassin (Mitch Rapp, #1)
  • Kill Shot (Mitch Rapp, #2)
  • The Third Option (Mitch Rapp, #4)
  • Separation of Power (Mitch Rapp, #5)
  • Executive Power (Mitch Rapp, #6)
  • Memorial Day (Mitch Rapp, #7)
  • Consent to Kill (Mitch Rapp, #8)
  • Act of Treason (Mitch Rapp, #9)
  • Protect and Defend (Mitch Rapp, #10)
  • Extreme Measures (Mitch Rapp, #11)
“he also discovered a correlation between their opinions and the conviction with which they stated them. It seemed that the less someone knew, the more forcefully he tried to state his case.” 1 likes
“instead of fighting the system, it was often better to say yes and then go off and do whatever you thought was best.” 0 likes