Start by marking “Lady Be Good (American's Lady, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lady Be Good (American's Lady, #2)

Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas #2)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  14,765 Ratings  ·  539 Reviews
Lady Emma Wells-Finch is determined to cause a scandal. Nothing big, you understand, just enough to convince her pompous British suitor that she's not an eligible candidate for marriage. She's thinking along the lines of, oh, maybe a discreet tattoo. But when suspended Texas golf pro Kenny Traveler meets her plane at Dallas-Ft. Worth Airport, Emma decides that he's the per ...more
Published May 7th 2002 by HarperCollins (first published February 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Lady Be Good, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Hating Game by Sally  ThorneThe Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia QuinnIt Happened One Autumn by Lisa KleypasKiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Love/Hate Relationships
561 books — 1,045 voters
Neanderthal Seeks Human by Penny ReidBet Me by Jennifer CrusieNobody's Baby But Mine by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsLove Hacked by Penny ReidThe Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley
Nerdgasms
295 books — 408 voters

More lists with this book...

Ana
A British headmistress and a Texas golfer. It's a match made in heaven.

Plus, Ted Beaudine makes an appearance. There are hot Texas men everywhere you turn.

photo 117ceeeb82b78c6afa11217e24354eb7_zpspduzvhtq.gif
♥Sharon♥
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve only recently come upon this author and this is only my second book by her but I truly enjoy her writing. Susan Elizabeth Philips creates story lines and characters that are humorous, unique, sexy and so much fun to read.

Lady Be Good is the second book in the Wynette, Texas series. I’ve read Fancy Pants which is book #1 and loved that one too. This is the story of Lady Emma Wells-Finch and Kenny Traveler. Their meeting is arranged to help with a situation that Kenny is in, but with one litt
Beatriz
Reto #19 PopSugar 2018: Un libro acerca de o relacionado con un deporte
Hace tiempo que no me divertía tanto con un libro, de verdad, donde otros sólo me han sacado una sonrisa, con esta lectura me sorprendí riéndome a carcajadas. Es que SEP crea unas situaciones comiquísimas con unos personajes impecablemente caracterizados.

Por lo mismo, la sentí más una novela de personajes que de argumento, aunque por supuesto hay todo un conflicto asociado a la necesidad de Emma de destruir su imagen de per
Mo
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally read this a few years ago and gave it 5 stars. Just finished a re-read and it would not make the 5 star mark today. If Dallie and Fancy Pants hadn't show up, it might even be lower. I don't even know why I didn't love it as much this time around.

I am kind of afraid to re-read the rest of the series for fear that I might find fault with them also.

Still, she is a great author and she will be an "auto-buy" for me.

Classic Susan Elizabeth Phillips! Lady Be Good is the second installment in her adult contemporary romance series titled Wynette, Texas. I just love Ms. Phillips' ability to write amazing humor and romance and she excels at both in this one. Golf is one of my least favorite sports so the male lead's pro-golf career was a bit of a bore for me personally but this is such a fun book! If you're into adult romances filled with laughs, check out this author!!!

My favorite quote:
“Now, this is where I dr
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: contemporary romance fans I guess...
My first thought on Kenny: is this guy for real?? I thought nah it can’t be! And then this happened:

[the woman is holding two kids in her arms]
He mentally redressed her in a tight top, short skirt, and a pair of stiletto heels, then added black fishnet stockings for good measure. He’d never paid for sex in his life, but he decided he’d be more than happy to throw a little extra cash her way if she ever decided she needed to earn something on the side to pay for her kids’ orthodontics work.

This
Milica's Bookshelf
Upravo sam završila sa čitanjem, napolju zora sviće a ja se cerim ko idiot.
Obožavam ovakve lagane, opuštajuće ljubavne priče sa malom dozom napetosti.
Piper
This was properly delightful!! It is the third Susan Elizabeth Phillips novel I have read, and I was just as smitten by it as I was the first two. She writes in a way that makes you laugh out loud, reflect on life’s afflictions, rejoice in second chances, and love falling in love.
Lady Be Good is the second installment in the Wynette, Texas series. The main characters once again depict a Texas golfer and a British lady. Brought together by an “innocent” matchmaker (who also happens to be the her
Tammy
May 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who loves a fun romp!
Lady Emma Wells-Finch is headmistress of St. Gert's School for Girls. Emma is desperate to create the perfect scandal that will convince the egotistical Duke of Beddington, the main benefactor of her school, that she is not appropriate marriage material. However, while she is trying her best to convince the Duke that she will not make a satisfactory Duchess, she cannot take things too far or he will sell St. Gerts out from under her.

Gorgeous Kenny Traveler - who needs to avoid scandal at all cos
Dija
"Now, this is where I draw the line! It’s bad enough everybody in town’s going to be thinkin’ I’m sleeping with a depressed, lice-ridden, hemorrhoidal foreigner who likes to be tied up and might be pregnant, although—since she’s just about cornered the market on condoms—I don’t know how that could have happened. But I will not —you listen to me, Emma!—I absolutely will not have anybody thinkin’ a woman of mine needs a vaginal moisturizer, do you hear me?"

The good stuff:

1. The romance. It is thor
Dee
- Loved it! After the previous book in the series I was pleased to get more of what I associated as SEP.
- Loved Kenny, liked Emma.
- Liked background stories.
- Very funny which kept me chuckling with more than a few full out belly laughs.
- Looking forward to reading Ted's story. Can't believe that adorable little boy has turned into one sexy young man!
Book Reader
2.5 Stars

Some books are nice, very comfortable. And a point comes where these books stop becoming your comfort zone and shifting to 'just ok' category, this is one of those.
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, steamy
My second by SEP, I didn't like it as much as the first, though I liked it well enough. All of that is down to Emma, though. She's worried about becoming one of "those dear, old things" and is looking to change that with the added impetus of needing to turn an unwanted suitor off the hunt. Because her inherent decency and kindness and stability is warring with her need for change, her actions can be a bit erratic. The thing is, SEP does an excellent job making it reasonable so I didn't feel like ...more
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
To be honest I didn't begin the book with high expectations because when I tried to read Fancy Pants I kind of got bored with all the old tales and I haven't finished it yet but this book was a beautiful surprise just like all of the others I have read from Susan Elizabeth Phillips! I have to admit that I am a great fun although usually I only read books from this century and this goes a long way to show just how much I love them!

What made this book irresistible :

1) Kenny! I have read hundreds
Zeek
I heart this book so much. Both hero and the heroine are right up there with my favorites. Written when SEP was at the top of her game, I can only give it five stars.

Lady Emma Wells-Finch, on a school break from her Head Mistress job at all girls St. Gertrudes, is taking the time to do some study on one of her favorite women in history. Instead, she finds herself in the unlikely position of being escorted around Texas, USA by one of the top players in golf world.

Kenny Traveler, one of the top pl
Zeek

Kenny Traveler, one of the top pl
Duchess Nicole
4.5 Stars

I think I love this series just as much as her Chicago Stars series. I feel like the Wynette, Texas series has a more serious tone to it, despite the pervasive humor. I've been listening to the audiobooks and the narration is spot on. Rarely do I feel like a narrator actually adds to my enjoyment, but this one does. Fantastic book, fantastic series.
Cheri
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The H & h drove me crazy all through this book. I wanted to smack both their heads together! It definitely kept me entertained. I look forward to reading the rest of the series :)
Jane Stewart
Great Funny Read. But audiobook narrator was weak.

The first time I read it I was doubled over with tears in my eyes hysterically laughing so many times! On subsequent reads I still laughed but not as much because I knew what was coming. But it was still great.

This story is the romance between two oddly matched people: Lady Emma headmistress of a girls school in England and Kenny a professional golfer in Texas.

AUDIOBOOK NARRATOR:
Anna Fields was very good with everything except Kenny’s voice (the
Caro
Una novela de SEP que lo tiene todo: personajes adorables (incluso los secundarios te llegan al corazón), historia ligera y entretenida, muchos diálogos que me hicieron saltar una carcajada. Y lo más importante, hombres duros que no declaran su amor a los cuatro vientos. Hermoso Kenny, ven aquí niño bonito :P.
Антоанета
Много ми беше забавно през цялото време - страшен хумор. Кени не спираше да се бъзика с Ема и се заливах от смях. Хареса ми и паралелната история на Тори и Декс и как преоткриха любовта. Много по-изчистена от информация от първа част и затова ми хареса повече.
Inka
Лейди Ема Уелс-Финч, директорка на девическо английско училище се оказва в неприятна ситуация. Шантажирана и изнудвана от противен херцог, тя се съгласява да стане третата му съпруга, само и само да спаси от разруха любимото си училище, единствения дом който е познавала. Преди да бъде обявен годежа, тя настоява, че има да довърши статия, която е започнала преди доста време и за целта се налага да замине за САЩ и да прекара там 2 седмици. Това, което изнудвача й не знае, е че Ема заминава за Текс ...more
Gamruk
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: güncel
Sep hanım abla teyzemin bütün kitaplarını seviyorum. Bu seri de öyle. Ama Chicago Stars serisinden alıştığımız komedi üzerine ask olaylarıni bu seriden çıkan ilk iki kitapta pek goremedik.
Guzellerdi ama bir acı gecmis, trajedik olaylar, sapkın aile bireyleri, duygusal karmasalar böyle afakan basmalarin uzerine ask yazmış. Lady Be Good ise ilk ikisinden cok Chicago Stars kivamindaydi. Ve daha da bir sevdim bu yuzden😂

Leydi Emma Wells-Finch, Ingilterede yasayan ogretmen hanimimiz. Müdürlük gorevin
Cyndi
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly love these books!! What a great writer. I always get swept away to the great state of Texas every time I read one of them.
Manda Collins
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Reread. So good. I'd forgotten how much I love this book!
Re-read 11/24/2015
Yolanda
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantástica la SEP. Me hace disfrutar muchísimo. Me han encantado todos los personajes, todos y cada uno...menos Su Ilustrísima, claro.
Lo que me he podido reir....me encanta! No lo puedo remediar
Frau G.
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich liebe Kenny und Emma. Manchmal haben die beiden echt einen an der Waffel, aber sie sind wirklich liebenswert und süß.
Noura
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second SEP book that i've read, the first one being What I Did For Love. I was not overly impressed because i found the heroine a bit neurotic. And it seems that the heroine for this book is also a bit of a quirky character. Maybe it's a SEP heroine trait. Idk. But i'm beginning to like the style.

Lady Be Good is a fun story. I kind of have a feeling that the book is set in the late 90s or early 2000s since we are talking about messages sent via facsimiles (wuuut??), no mention of smar
Maggie
I love how I just finished books with male leads named Dallie and Panda (yes, PANDA!), and yet Kenny was the one I had the hardest time wrapping my brain around. I kept calling him Nicky. (Why? Who knows where thoughts come from. They just appear. -Lucas, Empire Records) I liked this one even more than Fancy Pants. There was great chemistry and dialogue between Emma and Nicky Kenny, and the requires-suspension-of-belief plotline actually worked in this zany story. I cracked up at the low-speed c ...more
Books 7 36 May 14, 2018 08:54AM
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicate to combine 2 13 Jan 28, 2018 05:33PM
  • The Trouble With Valentine's Day (Chinooks Hockey Team, #3)
  • Be My Baby
  • Take a Chance on Me
  • Breakfast in Bed (Domestic Gods, #3)
  • Heiress for Hire (Cuttersville, #2)
SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is an international bestseller whose books have been published in over 30 languages. She’s the only four-time recipient of the Romance Writers of America’s prestigious Favorite Book of the Year Award, and a recipient of their Lifetime Achievement Award. Among her other accomplishments, Susan created the sports romance.

Susan's newest book, FIRST STAR
More about Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Wynette, Texas (5 books)
  • Fancy Pants (Wynette, Texas, #1)
  • What I Did for Love (Wynette, Texas, #4)
  • Call Me Irresistible (Wynette, Texas, #5)
  • The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas, #6)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
  • Otherkin
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Driven by Fire (Fire, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
  • One Summer Day in Rome: A Novel
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
“Now, this is where I draw the line! It's bad enough everybody in town's going to be thinkin' I'm sleeping with a depressed, lice-ridden, hemorrhoidal foreigner who likes to be tied up and might be pregnant, although-since she's just about cornered the market on condoms-I don't know how that could have happened. But I will not-you listen to me, Emma!-I absolutely will not have anybody thinkin' a woman of mine needs a vaginal moisturizer, do you hear me?” 97 likes
“Both of you’ll just have to believe me. Emma’s one of those women who was born with… The thing is, the minute a heterosexual man looks at her, all he can think about is – well, her mouth, and – ”

“Emma?” Torie’s own mouth gaped in astonishment.

Patrick crossed his legs. “Maybe we’re not talking about the same person. British accent? Good appetite? Hums songs from The Lion King when she doesn’t think anybody’s listening?”
30 likes