Start by marking “The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt” as Want to Read:
The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt

The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt

The lives of pharaohs and commoners alike were dominated by the need to honor, worship, and pacify the huge pantheon of deities. From lavish tomb paintings and imposing temple reliefs to humble household shrines, countless tributes throughout Egypt reflect the richness and complexity of their mythology. This book examines the evolution, worship, and eventual decline of the ...more
Published May 26th 2003 by Thames Hudson (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt

Sara
Mar 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is another of those essential reference books for anyone studying Ancient Egypt, which I seem to be doing a lot of lately. It's an old love, and those among my friends who know me well know that it is my life's dream to visit Egypt and see all of the sacred places for myself. I've wanted to go there since I was 10 years old. Soon.

At any rate, this book provides an outstanding explanation of this complex religion that compliments and augments what is provided in Geraldine Pinch's book, revi
MadameMelli
Das Buch hab ich ja nur zu Recherchezwecken gelesen und manche Teile deshalb eher überflogen, deshalb ist das jetzt keine ausführliche Meinung^^

Es gab an vielen Stellen interessanten Input und langsam formt sich eine Idee in meinem Kopf, die ich verfolgen kann. Allein dafür hat es sich gelohnt, hier reinzuschauen und ich werde es fürs Schreiben der Kurzgeschichte auch immer wieder zur Hand nehmen.

Denn es ist sehr gut recherchiert und bietet viele Perspektiven, die Übersicht über die Götter war ä
Asmaa Saeed
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, mythology
لطالما كنت أكره التاريخ المجرد، أشعر تجاهه بالجفاء، فكيف لي ان أستخرج عبرة صادقة خالصة بعيدا عن الزيف و التجميل؟ لطالما عجز عقلي عن تجاوز الدلائل والبراهين التاريخية و التساؤل إذا ما كان يتحلى المؤرخون بما يكفي من الموضوعية لتناول القضايا و تحليلها و رواياتها بكل جوانبها ام انهم يمحصون وقائع ويغفلون النظر عن أخرى؟ لا لشيء، إلا لأنها أساءت إلى مجتمعهم، و يصبح الأمر أعظم وأشد إذا مسدينهم ومعتقدهم كما رأيت في الكتب الدراسية حيث عجز المؤرخ على قول كلمة الحق والإنتصار للتاريخ بمجرد ان أطلق الحرية لقل ...more
Lisa
Jul 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book in a shop on a trip to Egypt and decided to read it rather than sleep the first few nights. After visiting the Karnak Temple, I used it as reference to write my short story - The Darkside of Amun. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in Egyptology.
Mahir Şanlı
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Denise
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, reference-books
My go-to book when I am reading my Egyptian historical-fiction novels.
A.M.G.
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone taking a course in Egyptian mythology--this would make a great textbook!
Shelves: nonfiction
Rating: 5 / 5

WARNING: Some-ish spoilers, depending on how much you do or don't know about Egyptian mythology.

I wanted to read this book so as to enlighten myself on several matters of Egyptian mythology that I had vaguely heard of before, but never in so much detail as what I found. Not only was I impressed and interested whilst reading this compilation of information, but I was also educated.

In the end, I took down notes only of the finer things of what I read, but was satisfied to know more th
John Anthony Smith
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very informative and takes a broad look at the gods and goddesses of ancient Egypt. I liked the way that the books was setup starting with a overview of Egyptian culture and worshipping practices, then moving onto the different types of deities. It seemed that every aspect of the book hinged on prior chapters and further expanded on topics as the book progressed.
Hannah Mitchell
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. It has different gods and goddesses both well known (Amun, Anubis, Horus, Bastet) and not well known (Amunt, Input, Sepa, and Kebehwet). If you love Egyptian mythology this would be a great addition.
Joanne
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
fun to read all the picture descriptions and some of the text pertaining to those, fascinating, would like to study this for years and get a degree in Egyptology!!!
Katie
So far from complete.
Nicole Westen
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very thorough. Apparently ancient Egypt could give Japan a run for it's money in terms of number of deities.
Rebecca Lien
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: research
This book was lovingly crafted to display a lot of great information about Ancient Religion with a detailed understanding of the ancient world. This book depicts the Gods and Goddesses with love, respect and still honors the historical principals behind the deity's. The book does not stop in reflecting the Ancient Gods and Goddesses though it depicts the evolution of Religion in the ancient world and the times when the government influenced the religion in Egypt.

Tarot Card: Art of Life- Seven o
Jenny
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: egyptology
It is a nice authoritative chronicle of most of the deities of Ancient Egypt, but I wish it was a little more comprehensive. One of my fascinations with this long-since dead civilization is it's religion, namely the list of gods and goddesses that seems to be nearly endless. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy this oeuvre, but there's so much more Richard Wilkinson (one of my favorite authorities on the subject) could have added.

Despite that, I would definitely recommend this beautifully, context
D.J. Butler
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Terrific introductory essays treat the nature of divinity and religion and their history in Egypt. The bulk of the book is a profusely-illustrated encyclopedia of Egyptian gods, ranging from all the major hitters you've heard of -- Osiris, Ptah, Hathor -- down to the obscure ones you haven't, like Ihy, the boy-god of sistrum players. Outstanding.
Sarah Holz
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the most comprehensive guide to Egyptian mythology I’ve read, especially while still being very accessible to even beginners. Plus it’s simply gorgeous - tons of illustrations and photos, many in color.
Michael Norwitz
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've looked at a handful of books on the subject recently, and this one is by far the best. It's a little vague concerning the actual stories of the Egyptian mythos, but it goes into great detail on their cosmology and practices of worship, also lovingly illustrated.
Lady Makaveli
This is an invaluable book for any and all of those who respect, love and want a beautiful just as much as informative book. This will also become an invaluable piece I'll return to frequently as I do my studies. Highly suggest others read it!
David
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is very wonderful and informative. There are not many books on Egyptian religion, nor many that catalogues every deity. This is a wonderful book. The writing was a bit dull but I still gave it a 5/5 star rating.
Aly the Reading Rabbit
This book had such an extensive list of the gods of Egypt. Such a great reference book and something to read if you're into that sorta thing.
David Morrison
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loads of images, useful commentary - cracking book.
Krooker
borrowed from the library at anoka middle school for the arts
Dexter
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology, nonfiction
Fascinating. Best source of information on Egyptian gods that I've found so far, but it seems like Richard H. Wilkinson has an awful lot to say about a civilzation which is mostly unknown.
Elizabeth  Rodenburg Punko
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very educational. Especially if you are trying to keep up with the Red Pyramid series....
Roger Hivert
Naved
Oct 21, 2011

• The Complete Royal Families of Ancient Egypt
  • Ancient Egyptian Literature: Volume II: The New Kingdom
  • The Complete Valley of the Kings: Tombs and Treasures of Ancient Egypt's Royal Burial Site
  • How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself
  • The Complete Pyramids: Solving the Ancient Mysteries
  • Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs
  • The Literature of Ancient Egypt: An Anthology of Stories, Instructions, Stelae, Autobiographies, and Poetry
  • Chronicle of the Queens of Egypt: From Early Dynastic Times to the Death of Cleopatra
  • Chronicle of the Pharaohs: The Reign-By-Reign Record of the Rulers and Dynasties of Ancient Egypt
  • Egyptian Art
  • Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt
  • Religion and Magic in Ancient Egypt
  • Ancient Egypt: An Illustrated Reference to the Myths, Religions, Pyramids and Temples of the Land of the Pharaohs
  • Ancient Lives: The Story of the Pharaohs' Tombmakers