Start by marking “Return to Peyton Place” as Want to Read:
Return to Peyton Place

Return to Peyton Place

(Peyton Place #2)

In 1956 Grace Metalious published Peyton Place, the novel that unbuttoned the straitlaced New England of the popular imagination, transformed the publishing industry, topped the bestseller lists for more than a year, and made its young author one of the most talked-about people in America. In 1959 the sizzling sequel, Return to Peyton Place, picked up where Peyton Place ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Northeastern University Press (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Return to Peyton Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to Peyton Place

Start your review of Return to Peyton Place
Debra
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
While I do love this old classic, Connie Mackenzie's new husbands name in Peyton Place was Tomas Makris and in Return to Peyton Place his name is Michael Rossi....this was confusing until I did a little research about the reason for this...apparently the character of Tomas Makris, bore the name and description of a resident and co-worker of Metalious's school teacher husband...he sued for libel and won an out-of-court settlement for $60,000...Tom Makris was renamed Michael Rossi....
Tiny Pants
Dec 31, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Weirdly, nearly a year after reading Peyton Place I finally got around to the sequel. I managed to procure a copy of it literally last January, but it was while I was on an all-around depressing vacation, and to top it off, the woman who sold it to me was just an absolute bitch. Seriously. Helpful hint: If you're running a decrepit used bookstore in an out-of-the-way strip mall in Palm Springs, you should be grateful anyone's coming in at all, not making fun of their taste and then looking up ...more
Susan Liston
Just read an article about Grace Metalious and she wrote this book solely because she needed the money. But as she was drinking a fifth of liquor a day, the first manuscript was so unintelligible a ghostwriter had to be hired to clean it up. Some of the story is autobiographical, how a small town reacts to the author of a salacious book about a small town (her teacher husband really did lose his job the way her step-father in the book does) and how she dealt with the Hollywood adaptation. But it ...more
Rebecca
Apr 15, 2015 rated it liked it
It's not a bad book, but it's not Peyton Place. The place, the characters are the same (except for Tom who is became Mike Rossi, which is a very greek name if you wanna know) but the intentions of the book are completely different. For me, at least.
It's the story of Allison, not of the city...but maybe I was expecting too much because I've just finished to read the first one and I've deeply loved it.
As I said it's not a bad book, it's enjoyable and funny and gossipfull (t's not even a word I
Sarah Craighead
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I am glad that this one is over because holy crap, I don't think my poor bones can handle any more drama. This one read a little more like an auto-biography of the author, but I didn't mind. I was happy to see my characters again, and more than a little troubled at some of the freak men they apparently had walking around in 1950's New Hampshire.
Michael Van Kerckhove
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2018
Thought I'd keep going and see what happened next. :-) Picked this up when I renewed my Chicago Public Library card. Appropriate since it was in celebration of my Return to Chicago.

Not as great as the original, and I know it was written to be made into the film, but fun to see where Grace took the characters and all that. Good fun.
 Martin
2 and 1/2 stars.

After giving some well-earned praise to the classic of all classics PEYTON PLACE by Grace Metalious a few years back on this little blog of mine I was very weary of reading the sequel…
Larry Sampson
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Let me start by saying I loved Peyton Place. It is one of my all time favorite novels. I have read it many times. So for some reason I have put off many years before reading the sequel. And now I know it was for good reason. It just does not compare to the original. And every review I have read says almost the same thing. It felt rushed. It felt like Grace Metalious really did not care about this novel. I did not buy into or believe many of the subplots. They did not seem real or honest. The ...more
Lisa-Jaine
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
My advice don't read the foreword it is full of spoilers, I only read half before moving on to the novel.

The first novel had us meeting the town characters and uncovering their secrets and weaknesses whereas this one has less of the town members and is totally focused on Allison as the main character who sells her book and discovers what publishing really is like. To me this seemed like Grace Metalious' chance to speak about her disappointment of the TV series and films based on her books.

I
Jon
Nov 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
More secret shenanigans in the town but this time with the authoress being targeted for telling the world about them. Good, juicy goings-on partially tempered by a "been there, done that" sense. Made into a movie which eliminated one of the key plot points (attempted murder that backfires.)
E.H. Nolan
Everyone loved Peyton Place. And everyone was incredibly anxious to read Grace Metalious’s sequel Return to Peyton Place. And everyone was disappointed. It felt like Grace either disappointed people on purpose or didn’t want to write the sequel and was therefore incredibly uninspired. Here’s the plot:

In the famous fictional New England town, Allison MacKenzie has written a shocking novel that reveals secrets of her friends and neighbors. While people in New York think she’s a sensation, the
Beth
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Many years ago, out of curiosity, I read Peyton Place. It was good -- and though it wasn't scandalous at the time I read it, I can see how it probably was when it was published. Now I've read Return to Peyton Place where we find Allison grown up, done with college and publishing her first novel. Selena is troubled, but getting by. The old characters are still there. The town of Peyton Place is still a closed society -- strangers are a subject of skepticism, especially if they ask too many ...more
Jo-Ann
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Definitely not as good as the first novel. It felt at some points as if the author was writing the book because she had to, not so much to tell the further stories of characters in the first novel. Grace Metalious certainly did not have much love for Hollywood, as expressed through Allison, although she tried to understand the industry. I'll read her other works, though.
Marie
Feb 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
I’m sorry I just couldn’t get into this book at all. I loved Peyton place even though it was not a shocking to me as it probably was to the general public back when it was written. My review is not to suggest it isn’t a good book but I just couldn’t get into it and was not excited to turn on my Nook to read it every night.
Olivia Frederick
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Not nearly as good as the first book but still a good read.
Karen
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
More of the same.....wrapped up the unanswered questions from the first book. Why did Constance's husband have a name change?
Christina Dudley
Whew. Finished. If not for the Bestseller Puzzle Reading Challenge and my commitment to read this book, I would have abandoned it because I remembered not being crazy about the original PEYTON PLACE when my book club read it.

In fact, that was one of only two things I recalled about the original PEYTON PLACE:

1. That the teenagers played Spin the Bottle; and
2. That is was soap-opera-y and trashy and I didn't like it.

RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE picks up where the original left off, and I had to read a
Rory
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
here's the thing

It's not as good as it could be. I had actually seen the film sequel--which is awful--before I read this book and somehow this played in both stories' favor. Once you know that Metalious never meant to write a sequel and only did so because the film studio owned the name "Peyton Place" and was doing another film with or without her.

This book is her response.

I did like the focus on Allison and her fame from the story--I liked the struggle between staying who she was and trying to
Augustus Gull
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this shortly after it first came out in the early 1960's. According to biographical information, Grace Metalious hardly had anything to do with the writing of it, and yet from her brief notes and sketches somebody shaped a story that I found pretty interesting. We follow Allison to New York and her adventures in publishing a best seller, a plot obviously based on her own experiences with "Peyton Place," called "Samuel's Castle" in this book. The cast of characters includes more colorful ...more
Jessica
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it
boring. no where near as ridiculous or as hilarious as the first one.

edit: Well, there's some ridiculousness, and certain elements are very autobiographical (the publishing of a novel on a scandalous small town, and the reaction to the author by the decent folks. Allison is practically Grace Metalious in this novel, only younger and sleeps around a bit more), but Peyton Place was a much more enjoyable novel to read, especially if you treat it as a black comedy. I mean, this one does have one of
Kathy
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Quotable:
She cried noiselessly into her pillow. She thought of Ted, but it was not for him she cried. He was merely the symbol of all she had lost. All I have now, she said to herself, all I have now is loneliness. That’s the prize I’ve won from life.

Matt was haunted by nothing but loneliness, and he had decided he was too old to take the cure.

[T]oo much sex wasn’t good for a man who had to keep his mind on his books.

“David, for Heaven’s sake, can’t we leave things the way they are? Can’t we be
Mary
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
If--like me--you wanted to know what happened to the women of Peyton Place after that novel's end, you'll greatly enjoy the sequel.

Constance and Mike (a name change from the first book's "Tom") have settled into a lusty domesticity. However, Allison's newly published novel about the town she grew up in becomes a bombshell that leaves nobody in Peyton Place untouched. Selena is forced to relive the nightmare she thought she had left behind. And another woman comes back to town with a few scores
Chris
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was another good story, and it definitely needs to be read (if one reads Peyton Place) to get the full story.

I wish Grace Metalious had written more stories about the families of Peyton Place before her death.
Katrina
Jan 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Return to Peyton Place was a fast and easy book to read. While some of the plot seems forced, it was still entertaining. I think that readers can tell that this isn't one of those stories that are born in the writer and are just waiting to come out, but more so the writer making an effort to put together a decent story. I had fun reading it anyway though, even though it doesn't quite hold up to its predecessor.
Laurel
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Did not expect this to be as good as the original and it wasn't. Seems like Metalious struggled at times to write it but that's ok. Book starts out in Peyton Place so seems familiar but then gets thin, especially when Allison strikes out on her own to Hollywood. Not to be petty, but some of the love scene dialogues are really bad. The ending in Peyton Place has some surprises that bring everything to a page-turning but not altogether satisfying end.
Joy
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
WOW - I just started this and I can't believe how quickly I forgot the plot and characters from Peyton Place! I had to go look at some reviews before I could remember what was what and who is who. Hopefully it will all come back to me before I get too much further!

Ok - unless I forgot, this one was a little more risque than the original. Per the intro, Allison's story is a reflection of the author's climb to fame. I enjoyed it.
Ruth Soz
May 12, 2009 rated it liked it
I enjoyed Peyton Place better. I'm glad I read the forward for this one because it helped me to understand Grace Metalious' motivation for writing the sequel and how she didn't have control over it like she would have liked. It was pretty clear that this was a book written for the sake of making money, which I know she resisted heartily.
Kyrce
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Allison says at one point that she's glad she lives in the advanced 50s and not in the 30s like her mother, where one couldn't take a lover without guilt.

It's so easy to forget that the early 50s were dissimilar to the late 50s that we generally think of.

And Metalious never ceases to fascinate me.
Rebekah
Mar 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Not quite as good as Peyton Place, this follow-up novel covers the adult lives of the children in the original novel and the consequences of having all those secrets out in the open. An interesting look at how our decisions and actions impact the lives of others, how we all need forgiveness, and how the place where we grow up stays with us throughout our lives.
Janet
May 14, 2009 rated it liked it
I remember reading and seeing the movie from the first book, so I thought this would be fun to see where they took the story. It's still a small town with lots of secrets and people don't change much.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A History of the Wife
  • The Caliph's House: A Year in Casablanca
  • The Scent of Desire: Discovering Our Enigmatic Sense of Smell
  • At Home in the World
  • All Roads Lead to You (Stay, #3)
  • David Golder
  • Junk
  • Looking Back: A Chronicle of Growing Up Old in the Sixties
  • I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie
  • The Moment
  • The Diary of  a Teenage Girl: An Account in Words and Pictures
  • Solace of the Road
  • Hippie Hippie Shake: The Dreams, The Trips, The Trials, The Love Ins, The Screw Ups  , The Sixties
  • California girls
Grace Metalious was an American author, best known for the controversial novel Peyton Place.

She was born into poverty and a broken home as Marie Grace de Repentigny in the mill town of Manchester, New Hampshire. Blessed with the gift of imagination, she was driven to write from an early age. After graduating from Manchester High School Central, she married George Metalious in 1943, became a

Peyton Place (2 books)