Start by marking “The Reason Revolution: Atheism, Secular Humanism, and the Collapse of Religion” as Want to Read:
The Reason Revolution: Atheism, Secular Humanism, and the Collapse of Religion

The Reason Revolution: Atheism, Secular Humanism, and the Collapse of Religion

This short book, only 8,000 finely crafted words, is destined to be one of the most cited and influential modern treatises on atheism and secular humanism. It focuses squarely on the inherent irrationality of religion, and reveals its utter irreconcilability with science. Offering several "reconciliation theories" to people of faith, it forces every reader to make a choice ...more
ebook
Published July 2nd 2014 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about The Reason Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reason Revolution

Dan Dana
Jul 03, 2014 Dan Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dan-s-list
I applaud Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Darrel Ray, and other atheist authors for their excellent contributions to what I call the Reason Revolution. My small book, only a 30-minute read, is intended for people who may not have the time or interest to undertake a multi-hundred-page book on atheism. It concisely poses nine science-based “reasons for skepticism” to stimulate readers’ thinking about the plausibility of their beliefs, and offers several “reconciliation theories” ...more
Evan
Jul 08, 2015 Evan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing special

I'm not religious, but I would not recommend this book for anyone. I did not find these essays overly helpful, enlightening, or respectable. There are better and more objective resources. I would ask anyone reading this book to have no expectations about it and to do much more reading than just this.
Darrel
Jul 22, 2014 Darrel rated it it was amazing
Religious people may not read Dawkins, Harris or Hitchens, but they might read Dana. His nine 'reasons for skepticism' are an excellent basis for discussions with religious friends, especially Reason #4: The Accidental Human Population.
Davidcharlesbowmangmail.com
It's churlish to slate a free book which is, after all, entertaining and may do some good. But to invite sub-300 word responses is to disparage them in advance. If this is to prompt a serious discussion Dana must expect serious responses, but I don't imagine there'll be very many.

I agree that, despite Swift's warning that you can't reason someone out of a position they weren't reasoned into, it's worth trying, but this book won't do it. For one thing, the tired old contention that we're all ath
Mark Abrams
Jul 21, 2015 Mark Abrams rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this 36 page short book which offered reason and science as an alternative to faith based reasoning. It was told with tolerance, respect and understanding for all beliefs. It was refreshing to read a treatment of religion by a non-theist which did not portray believers in religion to just be wrong, deluded, and misguided. Most humanists, agnostics, and atheists would agree with this author.
Laura Carter
Aug 12, 2015 Laura Carter rated it it was amazing
A short book. A good book. Summarizes the truths of science, pretty much. I liked this and would recommend it.
Mike
Jun 02, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evidence of human rationality is sadly lacking.

To suppose we'll abandon our irrationality is irrational.

Why a word count on a review? That makes no sense at all.
David Chapman
An interesting and thought provoking books. It is quite short and well worth reading.

I would recommend this to anyone.
Graeme Nixon
Jan 04, 2016 Graeme Nixon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Naive atheistic views

Higher RMPS pupil could make a better fist of this. Religion,supernatural or not, will persist for as long as we need to be held.
Vic
Vic rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2014
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2015
Nathaniel Chapman
Nathaniel Chapman rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Jan King
Jan King rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Jeff Chase
Jeff Chase rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2015
Jon Bitner
Jon Bitner rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Joelkay
Joelkay rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2016
Huzayfah Patel
Huzayfah Patel rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Matthew Raver
Matthew Raver rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Lynne
Lynne rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Jeffrey  Bennett
Jeffrey Bennett rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2016
gin deih sian
gin deih sian rated it it was ok
Sep 27, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2017
John P. McGrath
John P. McGrath rated it did not like it
Jan 10, 2017
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2016
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Brian Evans
Brian Evans rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Mathew Calderbank
Mathew Calderbank rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Hillary Marek
Hillary Marek rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Jack Perry
Jack Perry rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dan Dana is retired from a career that encompassed psychology, teaching, mediation, corporate training, and business entrepreneurship. He is the author of three books on workplace mediation and several conflict resolution curricula. Born in 1945 to a Protestant family in rural Missouri, his life experiences include:
• Serving in the U.S. Army in Vietnam (noncombat) and Panama Canal Zone (1966-1968)
More about Dan Dana...