Start by marking “Solomon's Freedom” as Want to Read:

Solomon's Freedom

Can they take his heart if he has a soul?
Solomon is an extraordinary chimpanzee, taught by primatologist Abigail Philips to understand and use language. But her research center is under a financial death sentence from her university. Desperate to save Solomon from what, for him, would be a dismal life in a retirement facility, Philips agrees to give legal control of Solo
Published June 20th 2014 by Glyphus LLC (first published June 19th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Solomon's Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solomon's Freedom

Start your review of Solomon's Freedom
Tony Parsons
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
California Technical University Smithfield Research Forest. Dr. Abigail “Abby” Philips (CTUSRF director, primatologist) informed Solomon “Solly” (Chimpanzee) he needed a shot.
LA, CA. Johnny “Eyes” Califano told the judge/jury he had shot Rufio Gonzalez, but it was in self-defense.

6 times the prosecutor stated.
R. “Bobby” William Colter (Eyes defense lawyer) had no comment.
Walter Drake (billionaire) was willing to donate a $10 million endowment fund to the center, in-return for Solomon’s rights
Barbara
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: animal lovers
Recommended to Barbara by: Goodreads
Does an animal have rights? That's the dilemma in "Solomon's Freedom". I enjoyed reading this book and rooted for Solomon throughout the entire story. If you like animals, you will like this book. A very easy and enlightening read.
David Ebel
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an imagination!

Dennis really wraps you in a tale with so many twists and turns that you never come to a place where you feel like you can figure out what will happen next!
Darlene
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Darlene by: Dennis Meredith
Shelves: first-reads
I received a signed ARC copy of Solomons Freedom from the by Dennis Meredith in exchange for an honest review of this book- this is my honest opinion of his book. This book is so compelling and written so amazingly. It is so close to my heart, It has you seeing Solomon actually doing the sign language, the lab where they do the experiments on him. The scenes are so well described. The scientific parts of this book is so well defined that it makes one wonder if it actually happens now.
This bein
Jeff Soyer
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Solomon’s Freedom, by Dennis Meredith, (Amazon link) is a grand slam. It’s a thriller with fabulous characters, witty dialogue, plenty of action, and most importantly, it raises questions about whether man’s closest neighbor in the animal kingdom should be granted any rights.

Bobby Colter is a criminal defense lawyer who can usually be found defending some of the slimier denizens of the criminal world. He’s good at what he does. Sarah Huntington is the wealthy woman who hires Colter to save a ch
Urthwild Darkness Beckons
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
By some strange coincidence the very week I began to read this book a real court in the USA was looking at the same issue, albeit different reasons for a real chimpanzee. In the end Judge Karen Peters sitting in New York ruled that a chimpanzee, the Mononymously named, (as one might expect), Tommy could not have Legal Personhood. In the end, she ruled that it would be inappropriate to afford the chimpanzee the same legal rights as a person.

The case had been brought by the Nonhuman Rights Project
Veronica
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first time I have tried one of Dennis Meredith's novels and I have to say he has a new fan. I was enthralled with this novel right from the beginning. The main premise of the novel is simple. Do chimpanzees have the same legal rights as humans do considering that 99.9% of human and chimpanzee DNA is the same?
Dennis Meredith explores this thought provoking question in the form of Solomon, a very bright chimpanzee who has learned from a very young age to communicate by the use of comp
Deborah
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved Solomon since the first chapter. The careful description of the character and how much the humans around him evolve to understand and protect him was captivating. I am very drawn towards legal dramas and that is why I requested this book for review. The legal part wasn't the strongest point of this drama, so if you are looking for a Grisham's style, this might not be for you. But if you want a compelling fiction story that keeps the heart on animal care and respect, then buy this book an ...more
C. Stuchl
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
by Dennis Meredith

I really, really, liked this book. It is an action/thriller that is hard to put down. It has wonderful characters, well developed dialogue and lots of action.
Bobby Colter is a criminal defense lawyer. He usually defends the low life bad guys and he is good at it. Sarah Hunting hires him to save her chimpansee's life.

A very rich man has bought her chimp promising her that he will be well taken care of. Instead he wants the chimp's heart for his own heart transpl
Kathryn
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was fortunate enough to receive a copy of Solomon’s Freedom as part of a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. This is a hard book to put down; I tore through it over the course of a weekend. I found it to be an easy read that held my attention. The characters are believable and the storyline is compelling. It touches on an issue that is frequently in the news and on minds these days – whether the earth and all the other creatures that inhabit it are ours to do with as we please.

As I read Solomon’
Kenn Anderson
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, fiction
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway.

Very enjoyable story with great characters. The main lawyer, Bobby Colter, is full of himself and wondering how he got involved in defending a chimpanzee, Solomon. Through the story he learns more about his client as well as himself.

Dr. Abigail Philips grew up with Solomon and helped to teach him to speak and think. She learns that Solomon is going to be killed so rich billionaire, Walter Drake, can use his heart as his is failing.

Funded by Walter's m
Amanda
Jul 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
3.5 stars...I really liked the "should the great apes be granted the same basic rights as a human" theme and enjoyed the interactions in the book with Solomon. The Colter character kept making me picture Saul Goodman from "Breaking Bad", which I am sure was not intended by the author. I hope this book gets a wide audience, so that someday the apes and all animals will be given the respect they deserve.
Elaine Plourde
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really, really enjoyed this book. The relationship between the main characters were great. I wasn't too interested in Drake, I just liked the impact the story itself was trying to get across. I definitely recommend this book to animal lovers. I can't wait for my daughter to read it. I know she'll have a great review too. Thankyou for writing such a great story, I look forward to reading more of your books
Maria
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bobby Colter must save a chimp named Solomon from having his heart harvested to be transplanted into a sick man. He tries to show the judge that Solomon is intelligent and deserves to be treated fairly. Very well written with excellent characters. I received a copy through Good Reads First Reads.
Kendra
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, primates
Full review to come shortly
V
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Got this from good reads first reads. I though it was a true story and maybe it was based on a true story if not I really think it could be at some point in the future
Nicole G
rated it did not like it
Nov 23, 2016
Steph Elias
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. Great story, well written.
Joanne Garbato
Bacsa
May 09, 2017
Building a SciFi/...: claim at instafreebie 4 2 Apr 11, 2017 06:10PM
Bargain Basement: Giveaway ends today 1 5 Apr 11, 2017 08:40AM
Advanced Copies f...: Claim at instafreebie - today only 1 18 Apr 11, 2017 08:36AM
Free Book Giveaway: claim at instafreebie - last day 1 4 Apr 11, 2017 08:35AM
Giveaways and Con...: Last Day at instafreebie 1 4 Apr 11, 2017 08:34AM
Beta Reader Group: Last day to claim Solomon's Freedom - FREE today at Instafreebie 1 4 Apr 11, 2017 08:23AM
Beta / Proof Readers: Giveaway 1 9 Mar 12, 2017 12:14PM
Dennis Meredith brings to his novels an expertise in science from his career as a science communicator at some of the country's leading research universities, including MIT, Caltech, Cornell, Duke and the University of Wisconsin. He has worked with science journalists at all the nation's major newspapers, magazines, and radio and TV networks and has written well over a thousand news releases and m ...more