Start by marking “Becoming Myself: Reflections on Growing Up Female” as Want to Read:
Becoming Myself: Reflections on Growing Up Female

Becoming Myself: Reflections on Growing Up Female

"The women in this collection were asked, simply, to recall a significant memory of growing up female. They responded generously, with intimate stories of their lives. Instead of the superficial prepackaged blurbs of TV sound bites and press releases, they told stories from their hearts; they told secrets never spoken before. They revealed themselves through stories of ...more
Published April 17th 2007 by Hachette Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Myself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Myself

Start your review of Becoming Myself: Reflections on Growing Up Female
Callie
Apr 18, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Callie by: K.C.
Shelves: heartwarming
This review, although it may not be the most eloquent, it shall be the most beautiful and touching you have read in years. (just like the womans full figure). But it shall be in poem format, so PREPARE YOURSELF.

Growing up female, hard may it be
Is an experience that may never come free
We may struggle to live in a world of "perfection"
But in fact this perfection in nothing more than deception.

Every day people fake who they are
Pretend they are smart, better by far.
But everyone knows that this is
Kari
Becoming Myself: Reflections on Growing Up Female is an interesting read. It is entertaining and uplifting with stories from famous and infamous women. These women talk of everything from first period to domestic violence. I disagree with some of the analysis these women give. Growing up female means something different and manifests in different ways.
Recently, several of my friends and I were discussing when we figured out we were feminists. I always knew; I always knew that I was equal with
Danielle Louise
The variety of essays that make up this book makes it a difficult book to review. Some are better than others, but of course which ones are "better" will likely change drastically from reader to reader.

I think of this book as being aimed at maybe the 16-20 age group, and I think my reaction would have been more positive overall if I had read it when I was younger. I did, however, find it interesting to read the essays and respond to them as I do now but also think about how I would have
Chenice
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most inspirational books I have ever read. As an 18 year old, I was unsure that the 'reflections' in the book would be useful for the period of my life I am currently at, but it is very well written and all of the reflections were touching, motivational and inspiring.

All too often men and even women put everything down to gender: I'm a female; I'll cook, I'm a male; I'll work. It shouldn't be like that.

I definitely recommend this book to those seeking inspiration and advice.
Melissa
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
there are a few decent bits of female wisdom in there, but there are more about simply growing up. we all know that everyone has different experiences throughout life, and this book highlights some from these various women. it is interesting overall, but it is limited as the stories are trying to be really profound and end up covering too much ground and going all over the place... if you are seeking pure feminine wisdom i think there are better sources.
Annaka
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A book of short stories by famous women. Full of inspiring lives and wise women.
Colleen
May 30, 2007 rated it it was ok
Eh...it was ok...kind of boring and monotonous at some points...some of the contributors were very interesting though
Virginia
Interesting reflections by well known women---some I recognized some not. Did seem repetitious
Laura  (Books, Interrupted)
It's taken me almost a year to finish this book and I think it's partly because I didn't find one essay that resonated with me. There might've been a few things that i could relate to but none that really stuck with me. That said, i appreciated having read a book of essays about growing up female. All the stories are different yet similar in that the women overcame diversity & their own obstacles to becoming strong, independent successful women.
Elif B.
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Bazı bölümler çok güzeldi. Bazı bölümler saçma, abuk, uzaydan gelme vs. vs. En çok kitabın genelindeki Yahudilik vurgusundan rahatsız oldum, çünkü çoğu sırf söylemiş olmak için söylenmiş şeylerdi. Okuduğum için pişman değilim ama neyse ki bitti.
Mary Karpel-Jergic
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: autobiography
A collection of essays, some with very little words, none of any real length, which lightly touch individual experiences of growing up female. The majority are American women and I'm glad I had my tablet to look up detailed biographies.

All women have a fairly high profile and I'm not sure how they were selected. Many were in the media so likely that the editor Willa Shalit had easy access to these women.

Overall I did not feel that there was very much insight to be gleaned. I didn't really feel
Josephine Ensign
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a great travel companion sort of book because it's easy to dip into and out of the short essays on being female. I especially appreciated the wide range of people's stories--famous women and more 'normal' everyday women. This was another Washington, DC Airbnb bookshelf read. My favorite aspect of staying at random Airbnbs is getting to dig into their 'leftover' books.
Rozana AlBanawi
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it
The book collects written pieces by different famous women who have had the courage to embark on a self-accepting & feminine-embracing journey. Women like Maya Angelou, Meryl Steep have insightful words & wise teachings that I can still recall years after reading the book.
Again, it looks at womanhood or becoming yourself from a Western/American perspective.
Kate
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
With such a variety of women and experiences, the passages range from just okay to excellent. I would recommend it to any woman because there are passages for everyone. I probably read this over a year total just reading a couple essays/statements at a time and is served its purpose of reminding me of female strength throughout.
Dave
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great read. As a man I find that the more I listen to women's descriptions of their life's experiences ,the more I give myself space to perceive my own experiences with a greater sense of grace,patience and compassion-which ultimately gives me more depth and character and integrity as a man......
#timewellspent
Megan
Dec 02, 2008 rated it liked it
I picked this up at a used book store seeing as I'm always searching for that perfect feminist book :) I enjoyed this one. The collection of writings is provided by a wide variety of women from all walks of life, giving you a small glimpse into a variety of experiences and worlds.
Katherine
Oct 28, 2007 is currently reading it
am loving this so far. brooke shields, maya angelou and many other celeb females write 3-4 page essays on their thoughts on growing up female. written by gene shallit's daughter, named willa after author willa cather.
Liz
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book--a great read for adolescent females.
Emily Kish
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
pretty boring. found myself skipping pages.
Nathaly
Jun 22, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Amberly Crowford
Dec 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book is a little too "chic-lit" for me, but oddly enough, I enjoyed it. It kind of gave me a sense of pride for being female, I suppose you could say.
Carrie
Nov 03, 2008 marked it as to-read
my students should read this!!
Lori Mason
Jun 01, 2018
Jamie Boyd
Dec 29, 2019
York
rated it did not like it
Apr 30, 2008
Elena
Jul 07, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Seriously... I'm Kidding
  • The Meaning of Sunglasses: And a Guide to Almost All Things Fashionable
  • The Bishop’s Wife (Linda Wallheim Mystery, #1)
  • The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears at the World's Most Famous Cooking School
  • Intensity
  • Our Iceberg Is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions
  • Mentoring 101
  • Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
  • The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream
  • The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • Chomp
  • The Third Wheel (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #7)
  • Mistakes Were Made (Timmy Failure, #1)
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 1
“To grow up is to stop putting blame on parents” 38 likes
“Try to see yourself with power. Not power so that you can get even with anybody else. Power so that you can become even with your vision- Maya Angelo” 32 likes