Start by marking “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” as Want to Read:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  1,140,956 ratings  ·  53,666 reviews
standing on the fringes of life...
offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see
what it looks like from the dance floor.

This haunting novel about the dilemma of passivity vs. passion marks the stunning debut of a provocative new voice in contemporary fiction: The Perks of Being A WALLFLOWER

This is the story of what it's like
Paperback, 1st MTV/Pocket Books trade paperback edition (US/CAN), 213 pages
Published February 1999 by MTV Books/Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about The Perks of Being a Wallflower, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Bookfan202 i don't know if anyone of you guys has ever said it in the comments, but i think that the person is not related to the story at all. I don't know why…morei don't know if anyone of you guys has ever said it in the comments, but i think that the person is not related to the story at all. I don't know why but in my language the book's title is translated into "Atskalūno laiškai"( letters from a wallflower). so I just thought that maybe Charlie is just describing his situation to a random person (maybe the reader) in letters. and i just think that knowing that someone out there is reading them and thinking about him, somehow supporting him makes it easier for Charlie to recover from what he had gone through.(less)
Paula!♥ I don't like thinking of age limits when talking about books because I think everyone is free to read what she/he wants regardless her/his age.…more I don't like thinking of age limits when talking about books because I think everyone is free to read what she/he wants regardless her/his age.
I think it's perfectly fine if an adult reads YA books and vice versa.
But sometimes, I recognize there's an obvious age limit.
I read The perks of being a wallflower and I really liked it!
It was a really good book and I make no apology for having read this book cause it was amazing!
However, I'm fifteen and sometimes when I was reading this book I felt like I should read this book within a few years.
I don't think it was because of my age, but because of my personality.
So, if you want to read this book, you should know that it includes some unqualified adult content like sex, drugs,alcohol...
Hope this helped!
And if you decide to read the book, enjoy it :)
Paula xx(less)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
55,995 books — 192,757 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Young Adult Books
11,733 books — 78,097 voters

More lists with this book...

·  1,140,956 ratings  ·  53,666 reviews

Start your review of The Perks of Being a Wallflower
MizzSandie

DISCLAIMER:

I did not like this book.

I am about to try to explain why that is so, here, in my own, personal review space. I am critiqing this book, based on my own opinions, personal taste, experiences and perspective, criteria and standards for literary work. It is entirely subjective, as I think all reviews, per definition, are.

I mean no disrespect to the people who like this book, and who have found in it something of value. You are as entitled to your own opinion, subjective readingexperi
Reynje
Dec 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Reynje by: Shirley Marr
If, like me, you lurk on frequent tumblr, you will have realised that there is only so far you can scroll before you hit something like this:

Photobucket

Stephen Chbosky’s epistolary novel has something of a cult following, and the quotes that litter the internet seem almost anthemic, given the passion with which they are re-blogged, quoted, slapped across artfully lig
Sandra
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wallflower (noun)

a shy or retiring person who remains unnoticed at social events, especially a woman without a dance partner

I decided to read this book not because there was going to be a movie coming out soon.
It one of the reasons but then again it wasn’t the main one.
I wanted to read it because the word “wallflower” caught my attention.

I was a wallflower.
I was not one of those kids people notice immediately.
I was one of those people who blends in very well that I was/>I
Karolina
February 25, 2013

Dear Charlie,

I am writing to you because I feel like you're the only one that would listen to me right now. From all the friends that I have made you are the one that's the most understanding. I guess what I'm trying to do is thank you for being there for me these last couple of days. I didn't expect to learn from you as much as I have. My mom always says that you can never really understand a person until you walk in their shoes, but I guess getting to k
Emily May
Sep 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Clueless. I am clueless. The popularity of this book baffles me even more than the popularity of The Fault in Our Stars. Maybe I really am just a coldhearted person with no feelings.

Amazingly, I actually managed to start The Perks of Being a Wallflower knowing absolutely nothing about it. I've avoided all the reviews and hype over the years, I've purposely put off seeing the movie because I wanted to check out the book first. I knew nothing except that so many people LOVE this book. I was a bit sceptical from th
Tatiana
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Lifetime movies fans
Recommended to Tatiana by: book club pick
Shelves: why-the-hype, 2011, ya
There may be a book in the world that can address, just within very few pages, suicide, molestation, domestic abuse, homosexuality, drug use, mental issues, first sexual experiences, rape, abortion, etc., and not sound like a Lifetime movie, but The Perks of Being a Wallflower is not an example of that.

For me, the straw that broke the camel's back was when I realized that, to add to all of the above mentioned melodrama, the narrator was either emotionally or mentally handicapped. It appeared, Charlie's inability
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK ALWAYS BRINGS ME SO MANY FEELS. 3rd time re-reading it and I still feel infinite.
Rachel
Jun 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
As much as people say it, this really is one of my favorite books of all time. MTV promoted it, it got a lot of press, so many people shun it and say it is overrated. I disagree.

I didn't read this book until last year, when I turned 21. My boyfriend owned it, it seemed like a quick read, and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Main character Charlie is loveable from the first sentence out of his mouth. There are endless quoteable quotes in this book that had me fo
Lola
‘‘Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve.’’

That is quite true. I have stumbled across many beautiful sentences, throughout my reading, and ones that make us think but, this one, is my absolute favorite of them all.

description

There is so much that can be said about this, yet I don’t seem to find the right words, but I will try my best.
Emma Giordano
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't even think I can truly convey how much I loved this book other than to say it was entirely life changing and I'm so upset it took me this long to read it.
Miranda Reads
All I have to say to the author is...REALLY? Are you effing kidding me right now??

Charlie is a freshman, a loner and an odd duck, all wrapped up in one stunningly awkward package.

How awkward? Cripplingly so.
I am very interested and fascinated how everyone loves each other, but no one really likes each other.
He's always been a bit....out there...but his family knows how to handle his moods and step around his antics.
toawkward?oneis...REALLY?
Megan
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: high schoolers and beyond
Recommended to Megan by: Kelsey Fernandez
*UPDATE:* I went and saw the movie today and it was a very good movie. Stephen Chbosky directed the movie and it was very true to the book, I would say almost exact. So if you liked the book I would definitely recommend going to see the movie, you will enjoy it!

I have been struggling with how to rate this book since I finished it. I loved this book but then at the same time it was just okay. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I am finally secure with who I am… but in high school that wasn’t t
DC
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
June 30, 2012

Dear Charlie,

First of all, thank you for sending me your poignant letters. I'm honored you think of me as a person that didn't try to sleep with that person at that party even though I could have. I'm ecstatic you decided to allow me to read your thoughts. I'm glad you proved to be such a great letter-writer/story-teller. I am really quite happy about this.

It was nice receiving letters from you, even though they're dated long ago. I know that I go
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
The book be like - CRY, BITCH.

After 50 pages I would have written that The Perks of Being a Wallflower was poorly written, boring and tasteless.

After 100 pages I would have clapped because really, wow, Stephen Chbosky really did want to tick all the strong issues boxes, haha. /sarcasm.

After 150 pages I would have needed a drink to handle all that fucking CRYING and talking and the total LACK of any attempt to actually DEAL with the issues piling up.
Stephanie
Oct 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is beautiful. It is a classic teenager read. I have probably read this book a million times and it never gets old. I love how honest and deep Charlie is. He will get you thinking about the good things and what really matters in life. I am inspired whenever I read this book and I hope you can get as much out of it as I do each and every time.
This is was my book report for school. Hope it helps!

“We are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of
jessica
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
nothing makes me feel more nostalgic than this book.

this book is long summer nights, spent with those we so carefully let in, not caring about what the next year of school would bring. just those evenings where our only companions were the stars. because in those moments, i swear we were infinite.

thats what this book is. those moments that truly define who we are and what happiness to means to us. this book is our teenage years filled with friendship, and angst, and heartbreak, and future plan
JV (semi-hiatus)
Dear Charlie,

I am writing to you because I have received several of your lovely letters. I didn't realise that my postbox was full until I opened it just yesterday. I apologise as I was busy and knackered these past few weeks. By the way, I have sorted all those letters of yours by month, date, and year as my quite obsessive-compulsive self dictates all the time, not that it's a flaw or anything, but if it's considered a flaw, I'm glad that I do have it, because you see, being normal is bloody
Meredith
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: someone bored. it's an easy read.
Resounding accuracy of the voice of a boy teetering on the brink of adulthood, goodreads? Um yeah, maybe if all kids teetering on the brink of adulthood made you question if they were autistic and spent the majority of their free time reading the classics and going to therapy. Don't get me wrong. This book is good. You want to find out what the deal is with the main character for the entire book and at the end, you eventually get a pretty damn good idea. But for the love, this is not the Catcher ...more
K.D. Absolutely
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to K.D. by: ☼~Marian~☼
Shelves: ya
The Perks of Being a Wallflower: A. Free live sex shows but you are not allowed to tell anyone. B. Free LSD mixed in a brownie. C. Free to make out with girls who take fancy on you because you seem to be harmless. D. Free books because you are autistic hence you can finish a challenging book to read like Ayn Rand’s “The Fountainhead” in 12 days and your English teacher wants to challenge you by giving you more and more books to read. E. All of the above. F. None of the above.

I read this novel twice. The first time I read
Allie
Jun 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
Drugs, abuse, child molestation, anything that would make people cry & be traumatizing for a teenager, it's all here in overdose, injected wherever possible into every character's life. How can the author be such a douche.

I felt emotionally manipulated by this inconsistently written, I'm-trying-to-be-deep-and-real-and-strike-emotional-chords crying fest.

So I Hulk-smashed it into the recycling bin.

God.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Stephen Chbosky
Through Charlie, Stephen Chbosky has created a deeply affecting coming-of-age story, powerful novel that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller coaster days known as growing up.
August 25, 1991 Dear friend,
I am writing to you because she said you listen and understand and didn’t try to sleep with that
person at that party even though you could have. Please don’t try to figure out who she is because
then y
Raeleen Lemay
re-read in 2019

This book definitely still holds up. It had me laughing, nearly crying, and gasping every few pages, and I was constantly sharing passages with my buddy Ariel, who was also reading the book at the same time (right next to me.) I think this is the sort of book I would like to re-read every year, because it just means so much to me. Also, if you still haven’t read this book, please do. It’s one of the good ones, folks.

originally read (twice) in 2012

This is just another great examp/>originally
Kenny
“And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.”
Stephen Chbosky ~~ The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Passivity vs. Passion …

Yes Charlie ~~ I know all too well what it’s like.

Charlie is an outsider ~~ a typical wallflower. He gets bullied at school and prefers taking the forty minute walk home instead of the school bus. Written in the form of letters from Charlie to an anonymous recipient, it iclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Mario
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, own-read, favorites
I think that if I ever have kids, and they are upset, I won't tell them that people are starving in China or anything like that because it wouldn't change the fact that they were upset. And even if somebody else has it much worse, that doesn't really change the fact that you have what you have.

Damn, this book was amazing. And it's not one of those books where you figure out how amazing it is at the beginning, or even through the first half. It slowly creeps up on you. Or at least is sl
Anne
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Anne by: Kat Stark
Ok.
So, why does no one really mention that Charlie seems to be a high functioning autistic? I mean, there's a difference between shy or wallflower, and autistic. The way he doesn't understand social norms, his thought process, his actions (and inactions in certain situations), even the awkward ways he expresses his feelings. They all point to someone who sees the world differently than the rest of us.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm totally misreading what Chbosky was trying to portray. Or maybe Chbosky didn't even realize what he was portraying.
See, I
Christy
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
 photo stencil.facebook-post-2_zps6rzhcyjz.jpg

This is one of those books that has been on my TBR for years. I’m glad I finally made the time to listen to it. Charlie’s story is an endearing coming of age tale. It’s a journey. Charlie is finding himself, who his true friends are, and really coming into his own. I loved Charlie’s character. He was such a real and genuine person. Sam and Patrick were fantastic, too. Now that I’ve finally made the time to read this, I’m looking forward to watching the film!
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*5 Stars*

A touching and emotional portrayal of an ordinary boy finding his significance...

The brilliance and beauty of this book is discreet and quiet. We have Charlie — the awkward, lovable narrator — revealing his story through a consistent flow of letters to a "friend". The letters are candid and based off emotion — exactly what you'd expect from a teenaged perspective.

There is no specific plot design; no standard structure this story follows, In fact, at first glance, you may be inclined to believe that Cha
Shirley Marr
Dec 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Reynje
Recommended to Shirley by: Tatiana
Shelves: usa-crossover
"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." URGH! I hate that quote! It smacks of a forced whimsy and I bet you that nobody actually knows what it means because they don't want to be outed as a non-cool kid, so everyone pretends that it's deep instead of perhaps the matter of the truth - that it probably doesn't make any sense and therefore means squat all.

This quote just makes me think of this: The Infinite Cat Project. But that type of infinity is better because it a) involves cats and c) is actually cool because i
Annalisa
Nov 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: language, drugs, sex, gay sex, rape, etc
3. 5 stars.

I almost didn't finish this book. The main character was so hard to figure out. He was supposed to be intelligent but he was so naive. I get being book smart but dumb streetwise, but it was basic social and life knowledge that he didn't get. One minute he seemed wise beyond his years and the next he acted like a child thrust into a teenage life.

There were also a couple of scenes that I didn't think were believable. I almost put the book down (view spoiler) ...more
Jojo
One of the most important things that I appreciate and love about books, is that they remind me that I still have a heart, and my heart is a rather fragile thing, especially when one reads "The perks of being a Wallflower" I'll admit, I was slightly apprehensive about reading this, as I'd seen the film a long while ago, and I thought it was pretty average. The book, however, was not.

I love the word "Wallflower" There is just something about it that I like, apart from the fact that I

• Looking for Alaska
  • Thirteen Reasons Why
  • Will Grayson, Will Grayson
  • An Abundance of Katherines
  • Fangirl
  • If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)
  • All the Bright Places
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1)
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • The Giver (The Giver, #1)
  • To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
  • Speak
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1)
Stephen Chbosky grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and graduated from the University of Southern California's Filmic Writing Program. His first film, The Four Corners of Nowhere, premiered at the 1995 Sundance Film Festival and went on to win Best Narrative Feature honors at the Chicago Underground Film Festival.

He is the recipient of the Abraham Polonsky Screenwriting Award for his screenplay
“We accept the love we think we deserve.” 64898 likes
“So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.” 21059 likes