Start by marking “The Edge of Recall” as Want to Read:
The Edge of Recall

The Edge of Recall

Tessa Young is a landscape architect who specializes in the design and creation of labyrinths. For years she has immersed herself in the healing aspects of these elaborate structures, searching for God and hoping to make sense of the nightmares that have plagued her nearly all her life. When Smith Chandler, an estranged colleague with whom she'd half fallen in love a dozen ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Bethany House (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of Recall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of Recall

Beth
I am somewhat of a novice of novels in the suspense category, but I really enjoyed this one! There was a lot of tension and suspense, and the story really held and kept my attention, so much so that I fairly flew threw the pages.

The main character, Tessa, has to overcome a traumatic childhood event--I really liked how Heitzmann drew out the mystery of what happened to Tessa as a child. I felt like I was learning the truth along the way with her. I must say that Tessa was a bit annoying at first,
Willowy Whisper
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I find her books utterly amazing! The story-line was riveting and held my attention pretty much the whole way through. My only draw back was the few scenes that I felt were border-line inappropriate in the romance area. If not for that, I would have rated it a five star in a heartbeat!
Katie
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t sure what kind of suspense to expect with Kristen, having never read any books by her before, but I was pleasantly surprised with The Edge of Recall. Filled with tense scenes, puzzling dilemmas, and strange happenings, this book completely pulled me in! The whole mystery surrounding the labyrinths was really interesting and added a different twist to this book.

The people in The Edge of Recall were very fleshed out and believable. Tessa was fun, but also intricately complex as the reader
Margaret Chind
Apr 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone, mystery, adventure, and various kinds of love
Recommended to Margaret by: CFBA
Without a doubt, this book and Kristen Heitzmann are two of my favorite things now. From the first chapter, I was thrown into a whirl asking a thousand silent questions trying to understand and just comprehend what was going on. The more I read, the more I needed to read to find out even more.

The plot is fabulous. The characters are amazing. It is a story that is so real that it bridges on imagination and reality. (Trust me if you read it, that comment makes sense). The Edge of Recall is someth
Jessica Wolf
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Okay, I have very mixed emotions about this book

The Good:
I loved Tessa. She reminded me so much of myself: anxious, quick to jump to conclusions, always running away from conflict. I really identified with her and related to her struggles of depression and anxiety, of hesitation to trust. Aside from her, one of my favorite characters had to have been Bear. He was a good dose of humor, but still had an interesting depth.

The book itself was very well written. The imagery was beautiful and differe
C.
Very Original Storyline Held Me Captive Until I Finished It!

This was my first book by this author,and I am very pleased to say that I am impressed with her writing skills.

When I first read here that the story involved a job to recreate an ancient labyrinth by a female landscape architect(Tessa Young),I was immediately intrigued, though I must confess my initial ignorance of the difference between a labyrinth and a maze.I was thinking 'maze',but it was very interesting to be taught the difference
Barbara
Jan 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, romance
I think I enjoyed this one...maybe not as much as some of Heitzman's other books (like Freefall) but by the end it worked fairly well for me.

The early section felt very fragmented; the internal monologue skipped around a lot, and sometimes I felt that Tessa's thoughts all sounded like her recycled therapy sessions. Like she wasn't thinking for herself really. That made it hard for me to understand her character apart from the tortured nightmares and confusion.

The labyrinth concept was very coo
Julie Graves
Nov 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-reads, christian
The problem I have with Kristen Heitzmann is that her characters seem very shallow in the Lord. In this book there was never a clear salvation message. Just an all of the sudden "I see the light" kind of mystical experience that the main character has. I thought the mystery was very good. I thought the romance between Smith and Tessa had too many ups and downs. I realize that Tessa had a lot of issues but it seemed that Smith had too many of his own as well. Just when they seemed to be progressi ...more
Margaret Metz
Feb 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! I thought the characters were fabulous ~ the romance was wonderful ~ and she kept the surprises coming as to who you could trust.

I especially liked that the romance was something that built over the course of the book. I think it is one of the more realistic books I've read as far as that goes. They did have chemistry - and it didn't wait until two pages before the end before they kissed or talked about it.

I also loved the originality of the characters. Tessa was a truly haunt
April Erwin
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book of Kristen's I've read. Which is actually really silly, because I own at least three others written by her. They caught my interest in the bookstore, whispered to me that I couldn't possibly walk out without them. They came home and joined my massive library and the giant To Be Read stack that seems to grow all of it's own accord. And despite the fact that they spoke to me in the store, I haven't read them yet. Maybe it's because I have so many TBR now, that the whispers ...more
Sarita
Rating 3.5

The suspense/mystery started with a bang from page 1 with Tessa surviving an attack and witnessing the stabbing of her friend, and then going back 5 weeks to where it all started. The beginning and ending was fast and suspenseful, but the build up to in between was a bit slow. Some times I found myself devouring each page and other times struggling to get through.

There was two mysteries to solve. 1 was how the book started, Tessa being attacked, and the other 1 about something happenin
Climbedhighestmountain
I don't know why I took this book, other than I've been reading so much on the train, that I grab a stack from the library shelf & don't filter carefully. It says right on the back cover that the protagonist is searching for God, which holds less than no interest for me - particularly since I'm not Christian & don't understand that culture. That said, it's also about labyrinths, which are cool, even though I didn't previously know they are a Christian artifact. And there's a mystery & ...more
AlegnaB †
2.4 -- This was a weird story. Most of the time I was hoping that it would soon end. I didn't like the main character(view spoiler). There was a "turning to God" but no mention of Jesus. It irritates me when a Christian fiction book has a general turning to God ...more
Jeanette Grant-Thomson
I was disappointed in this book. I've really enjoyed a few of Kristen Heitzmann's novels, but I didn't feel this one 'cut it' for me.
Tessa, the heroine, who is plagued by nightmares, does not appeal to me as a main character, with all her fears, hyper-sensitivities and disappointments. She lacks definition. Smith, the male lead character, is too prone to vacillating for my liking. No wonder Tessa has difficulty in trusting him!

The plot unwinds- with various confusing events and characters. Ther
Tammy
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed a number of Heitzmann's books. They are always clean, hard to put down, and portray good, Christian values. This one had a definite gothic feel about it that I quite enjoyed. A great way to relax. My only criticism would be that Heitzmann, along with many Cristian authors, can get a little preachy upon occasion with the result that a character may feel unnatural or overdone sometimes. That said, her books have never made me feel like I've taken taken a walk through the mire of im ...more
Rebelliann610
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think it was pretty good overall.

I think the main character, Tessa, was developed quite well. Smith was too.

However, I think that the sudden breakdown of Tessa's block was a bit too sudden. I had no idea why she was breaking down, or at least, it wasn't made very clear to me.

That was the only thing, and I really liked the whole plot as a whole.

The architecture info in the book was honestly inspired. Sounded pretty professional. Good job on the research!
Lou Barba
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Once again, Kristen has put together two characters who really have no chance at a relationship and somehow, they wind up in love and on their way to a lifetime together. They have to be Klingons to have survived that mating ritual. She also kept us in suspense about the other dangers to their life and limb in a way sure to keep you reading. A step above many other similar books, it's hard to put down.
Kayle
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book kept me glued to it the whole way through. I loved the characters and how the two protagonists had to work through their past grievances both in their work situation and personally. I liked the similarities with The Phantom of the Opera, but even knowing that story didn't tell me what was going to happen next. Very exciting and beautiful.
Linda Pettingill
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love all of Kristen Heitzmann's contemporary novels. She is a Christian writer so her books are clean and the stories are always compelling. The Edge of Recall was no exception, it caught me on the first page and held me to the end. Just enough suspense and romance combined. I recommend anything she writes.
Bianca
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The plot of the story really through me, because I thought it would happen one way and it certainly didn't happen that way. This book taught me a lot and I'm so glad I read it. Definitely a fantastic book to read!
Norma Budden
A wonderfully crafted story in the Christian-fiction genre. My only suggestion is that you not pick it up until you have time to dedicate to it so as not to rush through the important truths it brings to light.
Meredith Dennis
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Actually a pretty great mystery book with a little romance added in for good measure!
Heather
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really really liked it. More along the lines of Indelible than the Michelli family series.
Ashleigh
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story was fabulous. Lots of interweaving plot lines and unexpected twists. Tessa must fact the monsters of her past, and find love in the process. Really enjoyed it!
Mary Lou
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Could hardly put it down once I started it.
Laura (littlepiecesofbooks)
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love this book! It was creepy, but it was also interesting with the romance and what they were doing. I loved the mysterious concept this book had. I love it! I plan to read more of her books!
Loraine
Kristen Heitzmann has once again written an amazing story. Full of great characters, lots of plot action, twists and turns, this book was a riveting page turner.
Bethany
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.
I wasn't into this book. I kept checking the reviews and saw so many four and five stars and I'm like, I don't get it. I skipped like 10 chapters and didn't feel the urge to go back and find out what happened. Tessa annoyed me, she came across as very whiny, needed and so very high maintenance. I get it she had trauma in her life but still. I did not like her and Smith was just blah, no personality, no quirks that stood out to me. Just eh. Bear was more interesting to me. I think I wou
Kathy Mizell
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How many monsters were there really?

This is a very good book that kept me in suspense up to the end and that is why I chose the rating I did. Tessa was so kind hearted, Donny so unpredictable, Dr. Brenner kept me guessing the whole book, Bair and Venue were good friends, and of course Mr. Chandler the love of every young son and dream. I think anyone with a hint of adventure would like this book.
Wendy
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was of two minds with this book. I liked the plot and really wanted to know what was going to happen. However, the two main characters were so annoying! I hate you! I love you! I hate you! I'm confused! I love you! I hate you! No kidding, it went back and forth like this at least 20 times. I've had a huge run of "broken" characters in the books I've been reading lately and this was just too much. Clean.
  • Wiser Than Serpents (Mission: Russia, #3)
  • Shadows of Lancaster County
  • Alaska Twilight
  • Breach of Trust (Call of Duty, #1)
  • Before I Wake
  • In the Shadow of Evil
  • Double Minds
  • That's -Not Exactly- Amore (Drama Queen #3)
  • Wolfsbane (Discarded Heroes #3)
  • Coral Moon (Kanner Lake Series #2)
  • House of Wolves (An August Adams Adventure, #2)
  • Protection for Hire (Protection for Hire, #1)
Kristen Heitzmann is the award winning author of contemporary romantic suspense, psychological suspense, and historical series. An artist and musician, she'll also be found hiking the Rocky Mountain trails.
“know that sounds premature, but I won’t date anyone again that I can’t imagine growing old with.” 2 likes
“A maze is a puzzle to be solved, with twists and turns and dead ends. It requires logical, analytical thinking and usually has a different way out than the way in. The maze could be a metaphor of struggling through life, going one way and then another until the exit takes your by surprise.

A maze signifies entrapment, while the labyrinth, with its unicursal path leading into the center and out again the same way, provides enlightenment. It's the process, the journey into your deepest self, your soul, the part where God abides. It's a passive path, a surrender even, to an order and design repeated through creation. A sacred geometry.”
1 likes