Start by marking “The Five Dysfunctions of a Team (Manga Edition): An Illustrated Leadership Fable” as Want to Read:

The blockbuster bestseller now in a manga edition--fully illustrated and fun to read!

Beautifully illustrated by Kensuke Okabayashi, this enthralling edition of Patrick Lencioni's massive bestseller gives readers a new format in which to understand the fascinating, complex world of teams. Kathryn Petersen, Decision Tech's CEO, faces the ultimate leadership crisis: Uniting a
Published October 1st 2008 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about The Five Dysfunctions of a Team (Manga Edition), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five Dysfunctions of a Team (Manga Edition)

Start your review of The Five Dysfunctions of a Team (Manga Edition): An Illustrated Leadership Fable
Hitessh Panchal
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Good book on Building and Re-building a team. The book but turns to be boring like a dull classroom lesson. The entire purpose of "Mangafying" the book should not only to make it illustrated, but also add a humor. I wonder why people forget , comics were not just read due to illustration, but also due to humor.

Apart from it , the Black and white version , which adds to the boredom.

There are lessons , and maybe for some the illustration works, but for me , I wanted more !
Bill
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
[Note: I read the illustrated manga edition.] I picked this up randomly at my library, curious to see how a notable business book could be translated into manga form. I enjoyed reading it, although as usual with business books, I can't say that everything it covered is applicable to every organization.

I also found it a bit unrealistic how committed all of the executive committee members are to their company -- there's a surprising lack of self-interest among the team, and while it makes sense in
Andras Csibi
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story is very engaging, I read it in one sitting. I liked the cliff-hangers and the suspense throughout the book ("Who's gonna be fired at the next retreat, tell me already!"). The model of dysfunctions built on top of each other made sense to me, and I see how they lead to bad results. I think my own team is highly functional in general and this story made me realize why trust and conflict are so important. It made me appreciate that we have it, and I'll work hard on keeping it going. Howev ...more
Leiah Jansen
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure why I picked up this book. I'm not into management or business at all. But it was decent, and I can identify with some of the challenges of working in teams. If your employer is pushing "teamwork" at all, I think everyone on the team could benefit from reading something like this.
Safaa
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book describes the five signs of a dysfunctions team in a simple way and provides examples along the story. It's relevant to anyone in management, leadership or simply who works in a team with other people.
In general, I liked the book. The story was engaging. I had fun reading it and finished it in one sitting.
The last time I read a comic book was really long time ago!

The picture below summaries those signs:

The Five Dysfunctions of a Team
Camille
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-reads
I recently started a new job and am again on the executive team. I really like this company and role and I am looking to avoid some of the pitfalls of the past. The fact that this was a manga, made it a quick and refreshing take on a business book, focused on teaching lessons through narrative rather than just dry text and diagrams. I was able to apply many of the lessons and exercises right away and look forward to sharing it with the rest of leadership.
L Hulse
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I can’t really recommend this, because the art is uneven and the lettering is atrocious. Aside from that it seems to be a pretty faithful representation of the prose book. Having illustrations definitely made it easier to tell the characters apart than I think they would have been in the prose book.
Katerina
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this book is definitely worth reading for everyone who works with other people, but I can’t put 5 as I really didn’t like this particular manga style a bit disconnected from the story.
Manga has rules on how show people emotions and usually strongly exaggerated them. Too much exaggerated for me.
Carlos
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy and nice way of handle Lencioni storytelling. A lot of insight around teambuilding in a kind of model that you can use without a "fanboy/fangirl" feeling.

Short, easy and with a lot of practical advice. A must.
JTRyan
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Found this more engaging than the original, but some of the drawings had changes in character styles that didn't make sense.
Sireesha Avvari
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy to read and digest
Cynthia K
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: readharder2019
This book was recommended during a seminar I recently attended. I decided to pick it up for task #17 of the 2019 Book Riot Read Harder Challenge: a business book. I selected this edition because it would also fulfill task #11: a book of manga.
Robbin
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I would wager that it's much easier to read the comic version... But it is literally set in comic sans. I still got the message all right, though, so that's what counts.
Andrew
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a manga its pretty terrible, but the concepts are v handy, and the manga doesn't get in the way of that.
Mark
Jan 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-possessions
An organization may have a more talented executive team, more cash, better core technology, more powerful board of directors as compared to its competitors. But all this will not translate into high revenue and growth if it has a dysfunctional executive team working for it.

A dysfunctional team will create a depressing workplace and bring down the morale of the organization. This will lead to the organization losing its competitive edge resulting in disastrous business results.

What makes a team
kevin
May 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have always heard about this book but never managed quite get down to read it. The Manga version is certainly easier to digest and having pictures of the characters helps a lot.

It is the usual stuff about having trust, willingness to commit, accountability, company above self. (I don't remember the exact break down of those but it fall into one of those categories I am guessing). The book is sensible and the content common-sense, but putting this particular book into manga is a smart thing to
Tama
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was recommended at work as a team improvement book. I accidentally bought the illustrated version instead of the narrative. Then I bought the busy people version that was a lot like the Cliff notes. The book had 5 dysfunctions that are destructive to teams and subsequently productivity. Found them to be true. Just didn't like the story tale style of writing. Book did bring forth a touchy subject of deciding who doesn't fit with the team,how not fitting affects productivity, and what to ...more
Norman
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a comic reader I find the manga style alien to what I know, but having said that this is easy to read. A graphic novel version of a management book. We have come a long way!

Anyway to the delay. In my professional life I have let 3 people go. It wasn awaful situation but had to be done. Think of it as a rotten apple in the barrel. This book convinced me that to build a team, this has to be done too. The narrative reads well as we follow a team through their off-site meetings, their conflicts a
Matt
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 52-in-52
Scoff if you will at the manga edition of Patrick Lencioni's now mandatory writing on team functions, but those of us who are not programmed to think that way, nor have a MBA will find this easy to understand. The art is ok--but its the clear and concise message that is delivered that makes this version worthwhile.
Moushumi Ghosh
Jul 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
Not my usual read and my second "management" book after Who Moved My Cheese, which was not moving at all, the book I mean not the cheese. I was reading this for work and found that the manga version was preferable to the plain text version. Quite interesting because of the manga quotient. And at 172 pages, it's one evening's read.
Kitty Shum
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
This edition was a quick fun read with valuable concept. Sometimes, it's common sense but really good reminder.

Patrick Lencioni classified 5 dysfucntions of a team:
1. Abesent of trust
2. Fear of conflict
3. Lack of commitment
4. Avoidance of accountability
5. Inattention to result
Bianca Woods
Jan 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly relevant and accessible. I really think there's something to be said for using comics for teaching (in this case, outlining how to build an effective work team).
Glen
Feb 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Required reading for new members of our management team. I think Jan is pretty cool. There weren't nearly enough violent encounters in this book, but the manga edition was certainly a faster read.
Ro
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very quick read. Good principles packed in a fun manga. I love the way Patrick Lencioni tells stories. Looking forward to reading more of his leadership fables.
Mary
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Might really connect with younger team members...very nice....
Rachel
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Enlightening, definitely enjoyed this edition; it made somewhat dry material more interesting.
Kirsten
Dec 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
We read this as a faculty at my school, and while some situations didn't apply to a school environment, it was still a nice summary of obstacles to productive teamwork.
Sara
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
This made a boring business topic . . . almost fun!
Dan Parker
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy team building studies and having this in manga form just makes it that much better
Katrina V.
Got a couple of take away points. Quick read, at least.

• The Digital Photography Book (Volume 1)
  • Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems
  • Dracula's Guest
  • Wagamama: Ways with Noodles
  • Living and Working in Switzerland: A Survival Handbook (Living & Working)
  • The Happiest Toddler on the Block: The New Way to Stop the Daily Battle of Wills and Raise a Secure and Well-Behaved One- To Four-Year-Old
  • Achieving Emotional Literacy
  • Burning Chrome (Sprawl, #0)
  • The Minority Report
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen: A Survival Guide to Life with Children Ages 2-7
  • The Sales Engineer Manager's Handbook: Mastering Technical Sales
  • Lady in Waiting: My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything
  • Quichotte
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to