Start by marking “Introducing Baudrillard” as Want to Read:
Introducing Baudrillard

Introducing Baudrillard (Graphic Guides)

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
This guide traces the highly influential work of the postmodernist intellectual, Baudrillard, who has been hailed as one of the world's most subtle and powerful thinkers. His style and assaults on sociology, feminism and Marxism have exposed him to accusations of being the pimp of postmodernism.
Paperback, 2nd, 176 pages
Published August 13th 1997 by Icon Books (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Baudrillard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Baudrillard

Ibrahim Saad

photo arton2956_zpsz0ohhtnt.jpg

مفكر زئبقي زواغ يستعصى على التصنيف، مفكر من نوع جديد، لكنه خطر، هو عالم اجتماع مع أنه يوجه لهذا العلم ضربات عنيفة، وهو ماركسي وإن كان يهاجم الماركسية، وهو متحرر لكنه يهاجم الحركة النسائية .. أهو رجل مخادع؟ أم أنه أيقونة ( تمثال)، أم تراه محطمًا للأيقونات والتماثيل ؟ ..

أعتقد أن هذه التساؤلات هي أفضل مدخل لشخصية جان بودريار المثيرة للجدل . بدأت معرفتي ببودريار عندما قرأت عن أطروحته القوية " موت الواقع ". تصدمنا هذه الأطروحة بأننا نعيش في عالم من المحاكاة، وأن ثمة من يقف خلف المعلومات والصور، وهو
David Gross
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Takes a muddled and incomprehensible philosopher and makes him more muddled and incomprehensible. I had to just let it wash over me and try to absorb something impressionistically, since the text was so full of expressions that seemed designed not to mean anything in particular. I give it two stars instead of one because I half-suspect that what I'm criticizing about the book may actually be a faithfulness in spirit to its subject.
Syd Amir
ازون جایی ک قبلا دو سه کتابی از بودریار خونده بودم فکر میکنم یه اشنایی خوبی با اندیشه هاش داشتم به همین خاطر هم به این کتاب امتیاز بالایی میدم علتش این هست که هر چند خیلی گزیده و موجز هر ایده و مفهوم کلیدی رو مطرح کرده اما حقیقتا لب مطلب ر گفته و ب نظر میرسه نویسنده تسلط خیلی خوبی روی بودریار داشته

کتاب به صورت کمیک ها و تصویرسازی هایی سعی داره اندیشه های بوردیار را توضیح دهد. به همین خاطر خواندنش هم لذت بخش است :)
Kevin K
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm ambivalent about Baudrillard. Some of his writings I find totally opaque and incomprehensible. Others (like The Illusion of the End) I find to be very clever and prophetic; in fact, The Illusion of the End is one of my favorite books. Like McLuhan (who I also admire), Baudrillard is obsessed with media (and related phenomenon like fashion and hype), and that hits on something central and characteristic of the world we live in. JB may not always be a model of clarity, but he's often barking u ...more
Iona
Mar 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Philosophers and sociologists. In cartoon form. Cute.

If I hadn't already previously confronted Barthes, Saussure, Foucault, Freud, Nietzsche, Marx etc during my studies I'd have been completely lost with this text. Thankfully, Jean Baudrillard is rarely a starting point for any French undergrad, so it acted as quite an interesting hour-long refresher course on the theories of each of the above. In fact, it was quite interesting to see how they all interlink to form modern thought.

The content is
John
Feb 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: disappointment
It's no fault of the author that I hated this book, it's just that the subject matter is so awful. Baudrillard seems to have built his career on changing the meanings of words, making nonsensical statements, and saying that all things are exactly what they're not. In contrast to Michael Foucault, who tried to understand how society got to be such a mess of misinterpretation, Baudrillard just added to the problem. This book has told me that Baudrillard was not a valuable person to write a book ab ...more
Kio Heartworm
Jan 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
Perhaps this book would work better as a refresher for someone already familiar with his writing? Approaching it without too much relevant background, I found most of the information in here hard to make sense out of. So as an introduction it didn't really work. I found the section in this book, Teach Yourself Postmodernism, called "Welcome to Planet Baudrillard" much more useful for getting a basic understanding of his ideas.
surfurbian
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Difficult and often impossible to follow. Perhaps a more comprehensive understanding of the ideas that lead up to and influenced his thiking would be helpful. Say a Introduction to the Introduction?

This aside there were moments when I could actually understand what was being written. Some of the ideas seemed reasonable and but much of his ideas seem so whacked out as to be completely laughable. His interpretation of various phenomena are uninformed and lead to conclusions that are simply wrong.
Frankie
May 20, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one.
This comic-style book helped me a little with Baudrillard. I don't think it's the best way to teach – drawing silly clip art and slapping clowny characterizations of philosophers' and celebrities' faces on them. It seriously was like reading Mad Magazine, complete with toilet-humor-esque vulgarity. I learned nothing that I won't have to re-learn in a proper format later.
Outsassing-Nero
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: university
Some facts were quite interesting, but the art is damn terrible.
Martin Raybould
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Proves only that simplifying Baudrillard is a thankless task.
Steve
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I had read some of Baudrillard's work years ago, and I read this book, which is a sort of overview of his work, immediately after watching David Harvey's first video-lecture on Marx's Capital. Having the context of Marx fresh in my mind definitely helped me to make sense of this book.

Although the author (Chris Horrocks) poses some generic questions as to how seriously we should take Baudrillard, his exegesis does not include specific interrogations at the points where Baudrillard's own conceptua
Icon Books
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Illustrated guide to the controversial sociologist Jean Baudrillard, who died in 2007. Did the Gulf War take place? Is it possible to fake a bank robbery? Was sexual liberation a disaster? Jean Baudrillard has been hailed as one of France's most subtle and powerful theorists. But his provocative style and assaults on sociology, feminism and Marxism have exposed him to accusations of promoting a dangerous new orthodoxy - of being the 'pimp' of postmodernism. Introducing Baudrillard cuts beneath t
Angel Pradel
Horrocks y Jevtic pretenden con Baudrillard para principiantes hacer una introducción al pensamiento del filósofo francés. En formato de comic, desenfadado, con aire “underground” y un poco de divertida mala leche. Mediante pequeñas escenas con citas y muy breves textos, muchas en relación con sus coetáneos y a lo largo de su vida.

Esta línea biográfica es clara, comprensible. Te identificas con Baudrillard. Su caricatura acaba resultando entrañable.

Pero el filósofo es oscuro, contradictorio y af
Johan
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sociology
I kinda like the illustrations and art in this book, it sort of takes you back to the good old days of early computer graphics. But as for contents, I guess it covers all the basics you'll need about Baudrillard, but for me it was hard to follow. Maybe the short comic book style format isn't the best way to explain this postmodern maverick thinker.
Dafydd
Sep 24, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: philosophy
The details about Baudrillard's life are informative and help place his works in context, but the rest of the text--those sections dealing with his theories--are more difficult to follow than the most incomprehensible parts of Baudrillard's work itself. This book is an okay introduction to the man, but a lousy introduction to his work.
Matt
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
I suppose this is a decent enough starting point but this is some dense conceptual material. I came away scratching my head, which is probably more due to the subject matter than the presentation of it.
L.
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it
the title is deceiving! it's not an introduction at all. this book might help if you already know dear jean and want to check your understanding of his concepts. otherwise you'll just want to kill yourself.
funkgoddess
as impenetrable now as it was when i tried to understand it at university. pretty pictures though. i'd rate it, but i don't understand it.
Simone
Apr 14, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in philosophy
I've read Baudrillard before and this was a good review of his main ideas. The illustrations were hilarious and appropriate.
Barak

of him?
guess.
Luke
Oct 01, 2012 added it
I refuse to rate/review this until I can comprehend half of what Baudrillard was attempting to explain even with this guide.
Joel
May 02, 2016
Axolotl
Jan 13, 2014
Nana
rated it did not like it
Jun 13, 2014
  • Introducing Camus
  • Introducing Logic
  • Introducing Cultural Studies
  • Introducing Semiotics

Graphic Guides (1 - 10 of 105 books)
  • Darwin for Beginners