Start by marking “No Ordinary Moments: A Peaceful Warrior's Guide to Daily Life” as Want to Read:
No Ordinary Moments: A Peaceful Warrior's Guide to Daily Life

No Ordinary Moments: A Peaceful Warrior's Guide to Daily Life

Every day, we face challenges in relationships, sexuality, money, work, and health. While there is a wealth of information and advice available on all of these subjects, we still have trouble turning knowing into doing. Here, Dan Millman presents a peaceful warrior's way to turn our intentions into action, our challenges into strength, and our life experiences into wisdom. ...more
Published December 28th 1992 by HJ Kramer

To ask other readers questions about No Ordinary Moments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Ordinary Moments

Start your review of No Ordinary Moments: A Peaceful Warrior's Guide to Daily Life
Christopher
Oct 13, 2006 rated it it was amazing
great shorter bk on life. He defines three main aspects of life, basic needs, mental needs, and spiritual needs. A good build on his original books.
Chris
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chris by: Continuation from his first book, The Peaceful Warrior
I just watched a movie last week called Peaceful Warrior, about a gymnast who's inspired by a mythical, elderly gas station attendant. The movie is based on the life of it's writer, whom also wrote No Ordinary Moments. Some people may find this to be sluggish and "another run-of-the-mill" self help books, but it's so much more. Read between the lines and you'll discover so much more.
Hillary Johnson
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm in the middle of this book now and finding it rich with solid information and encouragement. We need new paradigms, open minds and hearts today and I'm in favor of anything that helps us get there. I like how he clearly tries to be open to all the traditions and focuses on the needs of human beings in practical, sensible ways that anyone can read, understand and perhaps try.
Nicci
Mar 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
I think that this is one of the most important books for living every day life and being aware of the joy that can be found in life. This book will increase both your awareness of your surroundings and the joy you take in living because (as the title suggests) there are NO ordinary moments. Some of the exercises work and some don't... which ones do or don't depends on the personality and preferences of the individual reader. Overall, this book gives one a calming sense with the vitality of ...more
Shawn Evans
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I felt that this book actually brought about more change in my life than "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior" did. This is a truly inspirational book and is a must have in your collection.
Aryne Hornsby
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I liked this even more than Dan Millman's other books, because it seemed to go a bit deeper. Have reread parts several times and still love it!
Victoria Klein
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book took me far longer to read than I expected, but maybe I was just resisting all of the incredibly useful information within it. While slow going at first, it really started to pick up after the first section.

As usual, Dan does a fantastic job of applying the lessons and insights to anyone's life. While we all come from different places, times, situations; we do still have a lot in common, and that often has to do with how we struggle and suffer. Dan hones in on those things and offers
Nadya
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, home-shelf
I really loved this book. It was easy to read, loaded with practical advice that wouldn't scare anyone off as being too out there. Dan really has a way to relate to the average Jo out there, to set out an easy starting point and to make spiritual lessons seem ordinary, even though the book is called No Ordinary Moments.
Brandi
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Dan Millman offers practical, easy-to-follow advice on how to change your thinking to be happier and more well-adjusted. I enjoyed this much more than Way of the Peaceful Warrior, since I found it useful and relatable. He talks about Socrates in this book too, but it felt less like preaching and trying to come across as clever than the first book did.
Jb
Jul 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in selfimprovement
I read this book frequently. It can always send a message which has purpose in my life now. It reminds me not to let the world around me draw my focus away from my greatest joys; introspection and self-evaluation leading to a deeper understand of self and self improvement.
Alfred
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Dan Millman (the author) melds zen philosophy with principles taken from a number of the major religions to form a life guide. You may not agree will a the principles with in the text but you will still benefit from the introspection the book forces you to conduct.
Jessica
Jun 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a continuation of "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior". I really enjoyed it delved deeper that the first book.
Christian
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
This book has helped me significantly during my depression. I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to feel better and more fulfilled in their lives.
Martha
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read it everyday to remind myself that there are no ordinary moments and every single day is especial. There it it goes, another moment that I can not get back.
Dennis P.
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It builds on the foundation on being a peaceful warrior from a person's core level and up. Great for Dan Millman enthusiasts and those practicing interrelated spiritual disciplines.
Echo
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A basic on my bookshelf. Have referred to it often, for entertainment and for insight.
Sayhi2jeni2007
Nov 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Wonderful thought changing book that helps you get your head together... I re-read it every couple of months.
Jay
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
There are no ordinary moments.
Christian
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
great everyday guide to life...should be a staple for human existance.
Susie Cochrane
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it inspired to continue to believe in my own inner voice and pursue my experiences, loving outside of the box.
Marsha
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dan Millman gives some wonderful ideas on how to improve our outlook in our own lives.
Gordon Brown
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great in depth follow up to the ideas and concepts outlined in the original Way of the Peaceful Warrior. Dan Millman has addressed something that comes up all to often from fictional works that present such profound ideals and lifestyle changes... he has taken the, beyond the fictional characters and addressed to the readers directly how they can make those ideals a part of their own daily lives. Reading this book gave me a much better insight into some of the things I was struggling to ...more
Jacob Petrossian
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
No ordinary moments made me look at my own coping mechanisms and basic everyday behaviour. This book is a more provocative read than Millman's other books.

A well written book with lots of exercises therein. Sometimes with the presence of many exercises the book can come across as a manual than a "smooth reading" book.

I recommend this to anybody that wants to look deeper at their everyday behaviours.
Paddy Sears
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dan millman reminds me actually kinda a lot of myself! Paddy likes to write in this way where your constantly demanding the reader to keep an open mind. Would of been proud to of wrote this myself! Top marks from Paddy
Shubh
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best ever book
Francesca Zita
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent, but it lost me when Millman started referencing energy fields & hippie stuff. I really liked the exercises, they're practical, simple, and helped me through so much.
Darko Doko
Feb 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: philosophy
After wonderful Peaceful warrior saga author just managed with this "help book" to undo everything that I so much liked in his stories. Disaster
J
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

Great read. This book gives insight to do many questions I've had. The truth is happiness is what you make it. You'll see
Elvalo
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is totally great.
Daeus
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is some solid wisdom in this book. I definitely recommend reading the Way of the Peaceful Warrior first to see if this is something you might be into since it does delve into a 'new age' area. Unlike the peaceful warrior story, this is a laid-out guidebook on how to live well.

Some quotes:
- "Unable to afford the luxury of comforting illusions, [ancient] warriors have always dealt with the realities of life and death, acknowledging the dark forces of fear, insecurity, and self-doubt as

• Conversations With God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Book 3
  • A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
  • What the Bleep Do We Know!?: Discovering the Endless Possibilities for Altering Your Everyday Reality
  • The Boy Who Loved
  • The Sacred Sword
  • The Richest Man in Babylon -- Six Laws of Wealth
  • This Is Not Your Story
  • The Belated Bachelor Party
  • Ask and It Is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires
  • Soul Love: Awakening Your Heart Centers (Soul Life, #1)
  • The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
  • Bringers of the Dawn: Teachings from the Pleiadians
  • Bhagavad-Gita As It Is
  • Cristallisation Secrète
  • The Gift of Therapy: An Open Letter to a New Generation of Therapists and Their Patients
  • See What You Made Me Do: Power, Control and Domestic Violence
  • Wimmera
  • The Maddest Place on Earth
Dan Millman is a former world champion athlete, university coach, martial arts instructor, and college professor.

After an intensive, twenty-year spiritual quest, Dan's teaching found its form as the Peaceful Warrior's Way, expressed fully in his books and lectures. His work continues to evolve over time, to meet the needs of a changing world.

--from the author's website

News & Interviews

“Be gentle with yourself. Think less and feel more. Be as happy as you can. You only have this moment.” 9 likes
“Our greatest battles lie deep within our own psyches as we face fear, insecurity, and self-doubt. These internal adversaries pose a far greater threat to our lives and our well-being than the external difficulties of daily life. Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato” 6 likes