Start by marking “Wild Child” as Want to Read:
Wild Child

Wild Child (Mother Earth's children)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  253 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
In this magical bedtime book, Autumn doesn't want to sleep. Mother Earth wants to put her wild child, Autumn, to bed. But Autumn isn't ready. First she wants a song, then a snack, then pj's, and a kiss. Lynn Plourde's crisp text crackles like fall leaves and Greg Couch's illustrations are a color extravaganza. Wild children and their parents will love this scrumptious, sat ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Aladdin (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Child

Kathryn
4.5 STARS

I really, really enjoyed this book! It's such an interesting, fun concept Mother Earth tries to put her "wild child" Autumn to bed--but Autumn makes several demands first, getting to taste, wear and hear the beauty of the season. I would love to read the rest in the series! A beautiful seasonal read and/or bedtime story and especially suitable for when autumn turns into winter.
Rachel
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Original story-line illustrated with a beautiful color palette and style. The verse was interesting but never attained enough lyrical flow to enhance the pictorial fantasy.
Destiny Dawn Long
This is another instance where I love love love the illustrations, I like the story, but I wasn't all that enamored of the actual text. I think I just got tired of the repeated lists of items, always with three modifiers.

But the illustrations--oh, they are gorgeous. Really captures the magic of fall.
Anna
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
C loved this book. He was intrigued by the idea, and studied the pictures for several nights.
I thought the pictures were beautiful and the idea interesting, but the text itself did not flow well and was cumbersome to read. 5 stars because of how much C liked it. I would've given it fewer myself because of the text.
Kathryn
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The artistry is out of this world. A delight story about Mother Earth and her autumn Wild Child.
Laura (Book Scrounger)
This is a fun picture book with beautiful illustrations, in which the season of autumn is personified as a young child who isn't quite ready to go to bed, and so gets a snack (apples, pumpkins), PJs (bright-colored leaves), etc. before going to bed (and ushering in winter). When it comes to illustrations I apparently favor cooler tones, because there seem to be a lot of blues in my favorite covers/books, but this is one case where the warmth of reds and oranges is very well presented.

This is als
Emma
Josie x 2
Use for seasons in storytime
Mandy
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Willow's current favorite book and I've lost track of how many times we've read it! Willow reads it to me every night (sometimes twice). Thank you, Jen & Tyler!
Regina
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, fantasy
Wild Child caught my eye on display at the library. The cover is a catching, warm illustration of a girl clothed in leaves being raised in the air. All the illustrations throughout the book were luscious and added so much to the story. Rolling hills became the hips of Mother Earth, her hair is a waterfall. The integration of Mother Earth and WIld Child into the natural background was what made me fall in love with this picture book. The spectacular use of color and texture certainly added to it. ...more
Julie Pfeiffer
Apr 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is an absolutely stunning picture book illustrated by Greg Couch. The storyline consists of Mother Earth trying to put away her child, "Autumn." The child keeps giving excuses not to go to bed - wanting something to eat, a song, pj's. Mother Earth is very calm and comforting to the child as she accommodates her child's needs. Right after she gets her wild child, Autumn to bed, up jumps Winter! As I mentioned, very beautiful illustrations, originally created on msueum board; a verythick, smo ...more
Melanie
Mother Nature is trying to put her wild child to bed. The child won't go. She needs a song. So she hears the songs of chipmunk chatter and the crinkle of falling leaves. Wild child is still not ready for bed. A snack is needed. Mother Earth feeds her child chestnuts and pumpkins, apples and cranberries. However the wild child needs pajamas. Mother Earth covers her in flaming falling leaves. Eventually the wild child is ready for bed. And as she falls asleep, Mother Nature notices that her Winter ...more
Sam Grace
Jan 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ppl who like Seasonal books, read aloud books, Earth-centric stories
This is definitely a read-aloud book. It's got brilliant and beautiful illustrations that are perfectly suited to the words.

The story is about the Wild Child who needs all sorts of things before going to bed for the night, and it really really does its job of evoking Autumn. Like when Mother Earth gives her Wild Child a kiss, it's
A whooshy, whirlishy, windswept snuggle.
And when Mother Earth gives her Wild Child PJs, it's
A fiery, flaming, reddish nightgown.

Anyway, I like it a lot. 4.5 stars jus
Shelli
Aug 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wild Child is one of a four part picture book set describing the changing of the seasons in a beautiful and unique way. These very earthy illustrations are absolutely stunning, depicting “autumn time” as child reluctant to end her fun and go to bed. Prolonging her time by asking her mother, Mother Earth, for just one more something before finally agreeing to sleep and allow Winter to begin his time.

Out of the four books in the series this one is my favorite. :)
Alice
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-50-stars
2.5 stars While I liked the artwork and appreciated the imagery it just didn't do much for me. The thought of mother nature putting her "wild child" aka summer to sleep, so Fall can come, was okay. But for me , Summer isn't all the wild for me, it is Winter that is wild, but putting the wild child to sleep is clever. I just didn't like it as much as I thought! I love fall and hoped for something different!
Samantha Grimaldi
This is one of four books that personify all of the seasons. Wild Child focuses on Autumn and Mother Earth trying to get her to settle down so Winter can come. It is a very cute story that a lot of kids can relate to, since nobody ever wants to go to bed. It is also a good introductory piece into a unit on the seasons.
Lana Clifton
Illustrate the changing of season's with water~coloring~words that effortlessly roll off your tongue in poetic prose. On the surface, it appears that a mother is attempting to put her resistant child to bed. Look deeper to find the maternal love and offerings that the earth shares with our humankind. Heart-felt connections are abundant with this good read, and will appeal to grades K-3.
Ed McKeogh
Apr 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
On the surface, it might seem odd to see a children's picture book on an adult's book list--and rated with 5 stars, no less! But here's the thing: The artwork by Greg Couch is stunning, and that's why I love this book. The richness of color and clever design make Mr. Couch's art breathtaking. If you love good art, you'll love this book.
Katey
The pictures are beautiful. This is the story of Mother Earth. She is trying to lay to rest her child called Autumn. THis book deals with fall and winter, might be a good place to get inpiration about the changing of the seasons.
Kim Miller
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love the personification of the seasons as mother Earth's children. The pictures are wonderful and bright. I like that mother earth is so patient and grants the wishes of her child, the season Autumn.
Heidi-Marie
This was an interesting book, meaning it held my attention in wondering how it would be done. The illustrations' technique and use of color are lovely. The feel of autumn is definitely present. But this was not what I was looking for with a read-aloud book.
Whole And
A deliciously gorgeous bedtime book with breath taking illustrations that will prepare your wild child for bed while creating subtly bonds with mother earth and mother daughter.

Love this book.

LoriAnn
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Wonderful celebration of autumn, Mother earth and motherly love, the end of fall and coming of winter, and all our wild, nature-caked, bedtime-resistant children. Gorgeous illustrations to accompany the poetic text.
Krystal
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations. The lines of the story read almost like poetry. Also, it teaches (subtlely) about the autumn season. We checked this out from the library, randomly, and we all liked it so much a bought a copy for us.
Kaitlyn Powell
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
This book would be great for a classroom because it talks not only about seasons but also about children going to bed and every child knows what that is like so I think it relates well. The language in this book is very well written. I would use this book in a 2-4 grade level.
Daleine
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wild Child is a beautiful book with wonderful pictures. As fall ends, mother Earth works at putting her wild child to bed. Wonderful descriptive words to describe the end of fall.
Christie Suh
Apr 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Mother Earth tries to put her "wild child" Autum to sleep.
Tara
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
beautiful illustrations!
Shannon
Oct 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Outstanding art. Colorful writing. Beautiful reflections of nature and the Autumn season. I love reading this book outloud and sharing it with a group.
Olson Family Matters
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-k-fall
Both Madelyn and I loved this one. Gorgeous illustration and lyrical text.
Ashley
  • A Woggle of Witches
  • Leaf Man
  • A Seed Is Sleepy
  • The Apple Pie Tree
  • Mama, Is It Summer Yet?
  • The Bones of Fred McFee
  • Cozy Light, Cozy Night
  • Snow
  • Once Upon a Time, the End (Asleep in 60 Seconds)
I write kids' books--talk about a FUN job! I worked for 21 years as a speech-language therapist in Maine schools. When I got married, I got 3 & 4-year-old stepsons as part of my ready-made family. I read the boys picture books at bedtime. They fell asleep after 2 or 3 books, but I kept reading stacks and stacks of picture books and started to dream . . . maybe I could write picture books. I wa ...more
More about Lynn Plourde...

Mother Earth's children (4 books)
  • Summer's Vacation