Start by marking “The Agile Church: Spirit-Led Innovation in an Uncertain Age” as Want to Read:
The Agile Church: Spirit-Led Innovation in an Uncertain Age

The Agile Church: Spirit-Led Innovation in an Uncertain Age

In today's dynamic cultural environment, churches have to be more than faithful--they have to be agile. That means embracing processes of trial, failure, and adaptation as they form Christian community with new neighbors. And that means a whole new way of being church.

Taking one page from the Bible and another from Silicon Valley, priest and scholar Dwight Zscheile
Published November 1st 2014 by Morehouse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Agile Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Agile Church

Start your review of The Agile Church: Spirit-Led Innovation in an Uncertain Age
Harry Allagree
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
As one retired from active parish ministry, I was reluctant to take up our Bishop's invitation to read this book during Eastertide & to join in the discussion, but curiosity got the better of me. I felt reasonably sure that not a whole lot of new insight would emerge, since for quite a number of years to date the Church has been struggling with the enormous cultural shift. I had read & discussed a goodly number of books over the past 20 years by thinkers who had put in their two cents' ...more
Nayla
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
The book is half right and half wrong, I gave it two stars for missing the boat in the most telling way: the author seems unaware that declining membership and engagement is not a church thing, it's a society wide thing. The Elks and bowling leagues are in the same sinking boat with us.

I give Zscheile points for pointing out that Christianity is no longer the social default nor our church the establishment any longer. He also nailed some difficulties with education for the ministry. Then he went
Lisa Lewton
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m excited to read this book with our church board. This is an accessible read for lay leaders and helps settles leaders imagine how to be relevant and how to be open to the Spirit’s leading.
Kathleen
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: church-outreach
A good basic take on church "agility" - Agryis and others mentioned. The church as a learning organization?
David Houston
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting read. Some newish ways of thinking about the Church.
I've got to say his concept of a 'church without a lot of resources' is a LOT different from mine - he's in a church with a 'lead pastor' (and refers to 'senior pastor' a couple of times). In my view, any church with more than one paid clergy person today is 'big' or 'with lots of resources'.

Still. I think he does do a decent job of translating 'Silicon Valley innovation models' to today's church. Translating for the 'common
Jeff Lehn
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this book with our church's governing board over a year ago. It sparked fruitful conversation about innovation and creating a culture of failure. Written accessibly. (Full disclosure, Dwight is a mentor and friend.) I particularly enjoyed the examples he gives about the congregation he serves in St. Paul and the process they went through to define what it means to follow the way of Jesus today.
Leif D.
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting!!
John Adams
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Another entry in the 'secular solutions to church problems' genre, offering nothing especially helpful.
Josh L.
An excellent book for church leaders unfamiliar with business principles of innovation. For those already familiar with these principles it will be nothing new, just applying these concepts to the Western church.
Susan
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, religion
I read this book with the other members of the Executive Council of the Episcopal Diocese of San Diego, and we discussed a chapter at each meeting. It is an excellent book applying principles of growth, management, innovation and organizational change from successful companies to churches. The author advocates for trying new models, being willing to fail, listening to people re interests and goals rather than doing what has worked in the past, being willing to fail- all applied to churches and ...more
Clarac
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Many interesting ideas, not just church related.
GeminiAura
Roberta Weisbrod
Nov 10, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• White
  • When Life Gives You Pears: The Healing Power of Family, Faith, and Funny People
  • Canoeing the Mountains: Christian Leadership in Uncharted Territory
  • Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World
  • How to Lead in a World of Distraction: Four Simple Habits for Turning Down the Noise
  • City Love (City Love, #1)
  • Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island, #1)
  • The Prophetic Imagination
  • Meet Generation Z: Understanding and Reaching the New Post-Christian World
  • Teen Titans Vol. 1: Full Throttle
  • Guns Down: How to Defeat the NRA and Build a Safer Future with Fewer Guns
  • Preaching to a Post-Everything World: Crafting Biblical Sermons That Connect with Our Culture
  • Humour