Start by marking “The Philosophy of Composition” as Want to Read:
The Philosophy of Composition

The Philosophy of Composition

“The Philosophy of Composition” is a literary essay by Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849). First published in 1846, it is about the mysteries of artistic creation.

“Most writers—poets in especial—prefer having it understood that they compose by a species of fine frenzy—an ecstatic intuition…”

This edition also contains a long note on Poe’s life and work written by French poet Cha
Kindle Edition, Annotated, 42 pages
Published February 6th 2014 (first published 1846)

To ask other readers questions about The Philosophy of Composition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Philosophy of Composition

MischaS_
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh, I almost forgot that I read this one (okay, the Czech edition, but I feel too lazy to add the Czech edition...). I was writing a paper on Raven in High school, and the teacher was ecstatic that I used this as my source as well (instead of the internet as the majority of the class did. 😂)

So, thank you, Poe, that you wrote this and secured me an A and a nice note from the teacher.

This is not something I would usually read, but since it got me a good mark, I had to make an exception.

I believe
Asmaa Elsayed
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
So pretentious, Poe! :')
Maryam Rajee
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: essay
well in this essay Poe very unlike the Romantics that believed in spontaneous rush of feelings as a prominent element for writing a poem, brought the term " mathematical pre-calculation" for writing a poem. It's admirable how he thought about creating a literary piece but as Cicero stated once in ancient times, "we should grasp the subject and the words follow", I didn't like Poe's attitude towards poetry writing.
Ana
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, very informative essay.
Alice Herondale
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I don't have enough words to describe this AWESOME essay.
Yes, I have read "The Raven", I have studied Poe at university as well as this essay, but until now I had never thought of reading "The philosophy of Composition", so I decided to do it.
And I swear that if I ever wonder why Edgar Allan Poe is one of my favourite writers ever I will re-read this amazing essay.
Is it possible to enjoy Poe's iconic tales and poems even more than you already do? Hell, yes, you just have to read an essay
Flor Méndez
Feb 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, digital, inglés
Blablabla todos hacen todo mal menos yo que soy un capo y toda una revelación en originalidad blablabla.
Leí a Poe y me gustó mucho, pero maaaan relajá. Terrible chamuyo el que tenía. Estaba en medio de un fortísimo viaje con opio cuando escribió esto. Nevermore, dude.
Claire Orion
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
En primer lugar, es necesario una reseña un poco más extensa para resumir este ensayo poético de Edgar Allan Poe. En él el autor explica su método y sus diversas herramientas para crear un poema más alejado de otros, hallar una originalidad. Pone como ejemplo su legendario e inmortal "El Cuervo". Poe quería componer un poema más personal, más memorable, y lo logró. <3
Apolo
Oct 17, 2016 rated it liked it
fairly interesting if one cares to know the steps Poe'd followed in conceiving his masterpiece, The Raven.
Lnaz Izd
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
"Melancholy is thus the most legitimate of all the poetical tones."
Mohammad
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
From my quick reading, I was able to parse out some obvious and some out so obvious wisdom from this "how-to" book:

1. Have the ending planned before writing the beginning.

2. Keep it short or fear breaking the spell (the ‘one-sitting’ rule, ~100 lines)

3. Choose the impression you would like to leave with the reader.

4. Choose the tone of the work

5. Determine the theme and characterization of the work

6. Establish the climax

7. Determine the location (location, location, location - I believe time per
Romy
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reading this essay whilst reading 'The Raven' by Edgar Allan Poe was very refreshing. I loved how he explicitly tells the reader what ideas went on whilst composing 'The Raven'. Even though I might not completely agree with the first part of the essay, on what makes a poem 'Beautiful', I thought the explanation of his work 'The Raven' very interesting.
Lisa
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Poe was a genius, indeed.
RB
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for Poe fans who seek to write stories of the macabre, complete with a small essay by Baudelaire, what's to complain about?
Lina
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Выворачивание произведения наизнанку и встряхивание подкладки, впрямь, не делает его хуже и менее волшебным.
Emily
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think this was totally Poe just taking the mick, but I enjoyed it!
Cassidy Tilden
Fascinating!!
Tiffany Peña
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ibooks
Pretty well-written. If you're interested in Poe and his creative process, this should be a great read. He explains his step by step process of writing The Raven.
Scott Cox
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Edgar Allan Poe: The Philosophy of Composition” by Edgar Allan Poe and Charles Baudelaire
?????

“Nothing is more clear than that every plot, worth the name, must be elaborated to its denouement before anything be attempted with the pen.” In the first essay, Edgar Allan Poe delineates the processes by which he crafted tales such as “The Raven.” The author was desirous of creating his desired effect by means of four considerations. First, extent or length, “If any literary work is too long to be re
Arja
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So.
Good poetry is defined by a skillful and inspirationless:
- Use of repetitions
- Occurrance of a given refrain again and again
- Choosing universal themes, discarding any originality
- Occurrance of many contrasts
- Originality in the choice of metre and verse, praising musicality over all.

So, commercial pop music is good poetry.
Lady Gaga is the great poet of our time.

(Jokes apart, maybe it was the fact that he said that Milton is not a poet, orthat I don't like self celebrations in any kind of wr
Ezgi  Deniz Çelik
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-school
We can sum it up very easily: his theory of how good writers write well is based on three essential things: length, effect and method.

1) Length: All literary works should be a single sitting and short.
2) Effect: Unity of effect must be determined by the writer for emotional response of readers and the construction of that effect's elements are tone, theme, setting, characters, conflict, and plot.
3)Method: Writing is a work which you proceed like a mathematical problem, step by step, there is n
Antonio Kowatsch
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book has a slightly pretentious subtext but on the other hand it's highly insightful (so I guess it doesn't really matter). Poe literally dissects his masterpiece "The Raven" and explains in quite some detail his modus operandi. Thus giving us a rare glimpse into his mind.
I really liked it.
Jen
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
although it is quite interesting to see how Poe dissects his work (especially here The Raven) and to read about how he came to create one of his masterpieces, this just felt really pretentious and i don't personally agree with what he thinks makes a good poem/poet (that's just my opinion though)
Erva
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Koskoca Edgar Allan Poe The Raven şiirini nasıl yazdığını anlatmış ve şiir yazarken kullandığı tekniklerden bahsetmiş, altına yorum olarak "Ne alaka yha bence saçmaa .s" gibi şeyler yazmışlar. DAHA İYİ BİR TEKNİĞİNİZ VARSA ANLATIN DA BİLELİM!!!!
Mathieu
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Risible rigidity of precepts that cannot be taken seriously when applied to the short story but very well crafted
Beatriz
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A bit on the pretentious side but still very interesting
Kaleigh Robbins

• On Truth and Lies in a Nonmoral Sense
  • For a New Novel: Essays on Fiction
  • Interpretation Theory: Discourse and the Surplus of Meaning
  • A Knight's Own Book of Chivalry
  • Ernest Hemingway's the Old Man and the Sea (Bloom's Reviews)
  • Epistemology
  • Arte poética
  • Hawk Moon
  • The Ambiguity of Play
  • Po nás ať přijde potopa
  • Romanceiro da Inconfidência
  • Posthumous Keats: A Personal Biography
“For centuries, no man, in verse has ever done, or ever seemed to think of doing, an original thing. The fact is that originality (unless in minds of very unusual force) is by no means a matter, as some suppose, of impulse or intuition. In general, to be found, it must be elaborately sought and, although a positive merit of the highest class, demands in its attainment less of invention than negation.” 0 likes
“What we term a long poem is, in fact, merely a succession of brief ones—that is to say, of brief poetical effects. It is needless to demonstrate that a poem is such only inasmuch as it intensely excites, by elevating the soul; and all intense excitements are, through a psychal necessity, brief.” 0 likes