Start by marking “The Game of Life and How to Play It” as Want to Read:
The Game of Life and How to Play It

The Game of Life and How to Play It

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  4,412 Ratings  ·  321 Reviews
First published in 1925, this book has inspired thousands of people around the world to find a sense of purpose and belonging. It asserts that life is not a battle but a game of giving and receiving, and that whatever we send out into the world will eventually be returned to us. This little book will help you discover how your mind and its imaging faculties play leading ro ...more
Published October 12th 2007 by www.bnpublishing.com (first published September 1st 1979)

Dawn
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
My Mom originally found this book at a random restaurant. She fell in love with and gave a copy to many people. Fifteen years later life was kicking me in the pants and I saw the book on her shelf and read it for the first time. For me this book is life transforming. I continue to read it as I need to and I have memorized specific mediations. I hope this book will bring the same peace to you as it brought to me.
Allison
Remember The Secret? Oprah made a big thing about it a few years ago, and it become an international bestseller. This book came out in the 1920’s, but makes the same claims. Both are about how your thoughts and words will manifest themselves in your life. If you constantly worry about being hit by a bus, you will manifest yourself into getting hit by a bus. These books claim that the opposite is also true, and can therefore imagine your way to wealth, true love, and happiness.

I started reading T
Anna
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this book at least once in their life time. I have read this book and re read this book a dozen times. Food for thought!!
Vaishali
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
A fantastic summary of some essential principles. Great review for followers of Brian Tracy, Anthony Robbins, and the like.

Excerpts
-----------
“The imaging faculty plays a leading part in the game of life. … What man images, sooner or later, externalizes in his affairs.”

“Fear must be erased from the consciousness… We must substitute fear with faith, for fear is only inverted faith. It is faith in evil, instead of good... Fear is misdirected energy which must be redirected - or transmuted - into f
Titilayo Ogunmakinwa
The book offers a very positive perspective. A very easy read that can be read time and time again for consistent motivation and in order to help stay focused.
The Book
I don't know what I was expecting, but not this.

I don't even believe in God really, and I wouldn't ask Jesus for stuff.

But when I read this book, all I could think was YES. YES. THIS IS HOW IT IS.

Amazing stuff, I will be reading this over and over. This little book has some really profound answers and I wish I'd learned these lessons a little earlier. No matter, I'm learning them now.

I believe in the Universe.
Maggie
Jun 29, 2010 rated it liked it
at first blush, i didn't like this book b/c i totally do not agree with the "manifestation" belief system so prevalent today. it is a very small god, made in our own self-serving image, who can be made to do the bidding of our petty desires: the gimmee-gimmee god.

however, i do believe in grace and in being open to grace and goodness; and i certainly believe in right behavior, esp. as zen buddhism defines it.

this book, on first blush, seemed to focus totally on the power of an individual -- thro
Jo Ledamun
Aug 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a load of old tosh!

I know many people may disagree & I DO NOT MEAN TO INSULT, but.......

I did not like this book at all - admittedly I was a bit skeptical about it from the beginning, but I wanted to give it a go, so I gave it my best shot!

The 3 best things about this book is that it's short and sweet, well written & the authors viewpoint/argument is easy to comprehend! But in MY OPINION, I think what Florence Scovel-Shinn suggests & argues about in her book about wealth, happin
Fatima Al Sairafi
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The game of life is a game of boomerangs. Our thoughts, deeds and words return to us sooner or later with astounding accuracy.” This quote practically sums up the purpose of the book. Although Shinn uses a lot of biblical references to prove her arguments, I believe that her philosophies can be applied to all people with different faiths. She uses a lot of real life examples to prove her points which I loved since most people can relate to the examples she referred to.

Shinn mentions that throu
Lisa
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If Rhonda Byrne's THE SECRET had been written with a Christian bent, in a primarily Christian age and culture like the 20's, and contained only author anecdotes about people rather than by the people themselves, you would have this book: THE GAME OF LIFE AND HOW TO PLAY IT.

The author, Florence Scovel-Shinn, centers her book on the basic premise of the "law of attraction," which is also set forth by other famous authors/presenters such as Ester and Jerry Hicks. The idea, supported by many exampl
Danijel Brestovac
The game of life and how to play it

ch 1- Most people consider life a battle, but it is not a battle it is a game. It is a game however it can not be played successfully without the knowledge of spiritual law.

Ch 5- the law of carma and the law of forgiveness : man recieve only that which he gives. The game of life is the game of boomerangs. Man thoughts, deeds and words return to him sooner or latery with outstandings accuracy.

Ch 7- if you fear a lion, you must run toward him, because the fear
Tahnia
Jun 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow this book was a timely gift to myself, read it in exactly 24 hrs and feel reborn. Loved it, it just makes sense. Read with open heart and mind.

"Divine love dissolves and dissipates all wrong conditions in my mind, body and affairs, Divine love is the most powerful chemical in the universe..."
Kirtida Gautam
How long must one remain in the dark?
Until one can see in the dark.
The Game of Life and How to Play It is a good enough new age manifestation book. There are places which are striking and make sense. But there is also too much simplification that makes manifestation look less like a science.
Chamique Holdsclaw
I still can't believe this book was written 80 years ago. Shinn was definitely before her time. I love the fact she used examples to help you grasp the biblical content. This book reinforced fearless faith, opening ones heart, an allowing the superconscious mind to lead us.
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Florence wrote her book in 1925 and I didn't know how lucid or practical the book would be and I was indeed in for a lovely surprise. The book reads so well, easily understood, lucid in style, practical and applicable in every way. It feels as if a compassionate mother is sitting with me and taking me by the hand and instructing me in order to apply my faith. Most important lesson Momma Florence has taught me is that God is my supply, and there is a supply for every demand. I have to confess tha ...more
Christine

[This is an alternate version of an existing book; see my review of "The Game of Life and How to Play It."]

MY STARS..
..number 4 out of 5.

"The Game of Life for Women" has just about the same content as Ms. Shinn's original "The Game of Life and How to Play It"; but "For Women" gets one less star from me specifically for its translation into entirely feminine pronouns.

I can understand publishing a version in which non-gender-specific references are represented with feminine pronouns, rather tha
B.J. Richardson
Oct 01, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely horrible. I only give this book one star because zero is not an option.

Imagine that Deepak Chopra wanted to write a new book that (mis)quoted the Bible at least once every page. So he studied a years worth of Jessi Duplantis and Creflo Dollar sermons for his research. The book you can imagine he would have written is remarkably similar to this nonsense I have the pleasure of reviewing.

I won't go so far as to say Florence Shinn is a complete heretic. She doesn't string together enoug
Alexander Clawson
Jun 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There are bits of hidden and isolated wisdom in this book. I like the intention of the book, which is to change one's attitude or outlook, but the majority of this book is total nonsense with zero scientific or historical backing. It's examples are ill described, and all follow the same structure. "For example: a person had a problem. This person applied said advice. Eventually the problem was solved because of said advice." Whether the advice be thinking something or saying something. It is as ...more
Tracey
Dec 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Repeat after me “I will do wonderful work for wonderful pay.” And within just a few weeks of saying and believing this, you will get a big fat raise. This is the divine right.

If only it was that easy.

Alatea
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Felt like reading "The Secret" or one of Joseph Murphy books...
Ni'Kesia
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone looking to open up their way of thinking. Good for those who are Christians and believers in God's good works.
Лунната мечтателка
Според мен "Играта на живота и как да я играем" не е лоша книга, просто повтаря информация, която вече съм чела на безброй места и съм запомнила. Оценката ми, ако не бях запозната с предоставената информация (малко вероятно), щеше да е много по-висока. А сега я връщам на рафта като поредната книга, която обяснява, че ако мислим положително и даряваме другите с любов и истини, то това ще получаваме и ние.
BookCupid
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Either you have faith or you don't

Although some might argue that faith lies in the heart, much of this book begs to differ. It seems faith is in the mind. If we believe good things will come to us, then they’ll come. If we know we deserve that promotion and act like we already got it, then it’s ours. Whether it’s work goals, love or even self-growth, the power of visualization wins.

The reason why I gave it such a low rating is because of the repetition of these facts. Over and over again…
Maryam A-al khalifa
I can see this as " the secret " breakdown
I love how when the world gives you something you should feel that you deserve it
How when you want your mind to believe something you makes it into a song
" I have a wonderful business in a wonderful way
And I give a wonderful clothing for a wonderful pay "
SWAROOP CHOUGULE
This book first published in 1925, focuses on power of positive thinking and power of imagination. It is more of a spiritual book based on ideas like power of expectancy, power of words, law of substitution, law of karma, law of non resistance, law of forgiveness, law of use and law of love. And it has a lot of references to God, Jesus and Christianity.
An
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Indeed, thank you the Infinite Spirit for speaking to me through this work. I am blessed and grateful.
My favorite quote in the book is "Wealth is a matter of consciousness." - Florence Scovel Shinn.
Preston Smith
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in 1925, The Game of Life and How to Play by Florence Scovel Shinn, is an old school book that urges us to speak to ourselves positively and to expect our heart’s desires to be fulfilled. Using several Biblical references such as “death and life are in the power of the tongue,” Florence Shovel Shinn makes sure we understand that what we say to ourselves and to others has a way of manifesting in our lives. If you are going to speak, speak only positive words and you can literally will the ...more
Heidi The Hippie Reader
I read the 2012 edition of this book, edited by Ruth Miller and it had a lot of updates to the original text and new citations to support the ideas. The original text was published at the back of the book. I gave this book three stars because without the modern update, I don't think I would have connected with it as much. To be fair, it was originally published in the 1920's so it's easy to see how things have changed a bit between now and then. Read the new edition, if you have the chance. I en ...more
Robin Donnelly
I believe our minds are very powerful and it believes what we tell it. I know people who have a lack mentality and therefore will never have enough and I believe their focus perpetuates more of the same for them. I also know people who are consumed with a diagnosis until they are the walking talking billboard for that diagnosis and they can't focus on anything else. I've never been one into denial but I am certainly willing to circumvent negative emotions and thoughts to manifest something bette ...more
Winnie
I read this book recently as it was a gift from a friend and found I enjoyed it very much. It was written in the 1920s and yet it still has a lot of relevance today. I believe its philosophy, though I don't entirely agree with it, is positive and helpful to many who may have found themselves in a rut or a negative state of mind. One thing that struck me about this book was how similar it was to a more recent self-help book -- 'The Secret.' After reading this book, it's pretty obvious that 'The S ...more
  • Discover the Power Within You
  • The Success System That Never Fails
  • Prosperity
  • The Master Key System
  • Practical Intuition
  • The Nature of Personal Reality: Specific, Practical Techniques for Solving Everyday Problems and Enriching the Life You Know
  • Maximize Your Potential Through the Power of your Subconscious Mind to Create Wealth and Success: Book 2
  • Excuse Me, Your Life Is Waiting: The Astonishing Power of Feelings

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $13.99 $1.99
  • WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle
  • Why Have Kids?: A New Mom Explores the Truth About Parenting and Happiness
    $5.99 $0.99
“Most people consider life a battle, but it is not a battle, it is a game.” 28 likes
“Man must prepare for the thing he has asked for, when there isn't the slightest sign of it in sight.” 19 likes