Start by marking “The Phoenix Variant (The Fifth Column, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Phoenix Variant (The Fifth Column, #3)

The Phoenix Variant

(The Fifth Column #3)

Sophia: former black operative, current enemy of the state.

Moments before a catastrophic hurricane hits New York City, a terrorist attack vaporizes a museum and a large chunk of the Upper West Side. Almost caught in the explosion, Sophia gives chase to a suspicious figure running from the blast zone.

Amid the chaos, Sophia recovers a rare meteorite from a black operative an
Published August 14th 2014 by Momentum (Pan Macmillan)

Tim The Enchanter
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Still Getting Better - 4 Stars

I have to say that this is the best one yet. It combines the ongoing action of the first two books but includes a generous helping of character development. While I enjoyed the action of the first two, I would have become increasingly bored with the series. I have enjoyed Matthew Reilly's Scarecrow series but got bored as I love character development. I think the author has taken this series in a promising direction.

Plot summary

Sophia and the rest of the loose
Nicolette
Okay.

So.

I'm all in.

I have this bad habit of rating individual books while forgetting their overarching places in the overall story arc of the series. NO MORE, I SAY.

This series is amazing. I love it.

Sophia (along with another female character, not relevant to this current post) has managed to restore my faith in female characters. She's not a pushover. She doesn't need a romantic attachment to make her any more complete. She simply kicks some serious ass, all the time, and still manages to keep
Orkney Dean
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The third and much looked forward to book in a great series by Nathan M Farrugia follows the adventure of Sophia, genetically enhanced operative gone rogue and her friends trying to bring down The Fifth Column, the group who run the worlds governments therefore controlling the masses.
Reading this third instalment was like riding a familiar roller-coaster for the third time and finding that the sharp bends and loops have been twisted around since your last ride. The story is fast paced yet clear
Dianne
What is the Fifth Column?? Enter to find out!

October 2 - 16, 2014

Click on Banner to Enter!
Tome Tender Exclusive!

Like David vs Goliath vs Godzilla vs Mother Nature’s enhanced wrath, with high tech weapons, genetic enhancements and powerful psychopaths, The Phoenix Variant by Nathan M. Farrugia continues to pit a small, ragtag group of rebels against the powers of evil on a scale that is frighteningly too possible to cast off as pure fantasy or science fiction. This is a battle between those w
Peggy Kincaid
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've been looking forward to this book, the third in the series. As a reader you always wonder if the next book will be as good as the last. We've all read series that gradually fall apart the more books there are but this isn't one of them.

It is hard for this type of book to keep its momentum but so far Mr. Farrugia is hitting the target dead center.

Once again we have Sophia and her crew. Everyone is working a different gig but when things start blowing up, Sophia realizes that Denton is behind
Lili
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yep, loved this as much as the other 2 books in the series - it was the same fast paced, titillating read, sometimes you feel your heart is beating hard and then you realise you forgot to breathe!
And what gives me the shivers is that even more of the conspiracy theories might be true than we'd like to believe is fiction - we perceive there's a "5th column" as far as money makes the world go round, but to think they might have their own army and resources? Brrrr!

I like that the survival of the
George
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
COULDN’T CATCH MY BREATH
Sophia and her band of Project GATE enhanced warriors battle on against the Fifth Column’s efforts to corral the final meteorite born virus which, when combined with the first two AND what Sophia carries in her own DNA, threatens to create a being of unimaginable power. This cannot be allowed to happen. Sophia must avoid capture in New York, the target of a category 5 hurricane, both below and above ground, while she struggles to deny the Fifth Column its goal. To make ma
Shubhra
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One must admit... this is a really gripping series so far. This one took a bit to build up, but it was worth it - just to see the Gambit Pileup of four different sets of people. Not to mention that, set in this day and age, this may have a disturbing chance of being reality - which adds to a bit of fear too, making it even more thrilling to see the heroes overcome the odds.
Plus, new characters were brought in and admirably built-up, without sacrificing the development and interactions of the exi
Kylie H
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adrenalin, great-read
I really enjoyed this third installment of the 5th Column series. To me it didn't seem as fast paced as its predecessors (although don't get me wrong there is still action aplenty!) and I felt I got to know the character far better as there were sections of the book that provided more background than there has been in the past.
I was excited to see that the series will not end here and there is sure to be another book in the pipeline. Congratulations Nathan on writing another fantastic novel.
Rohit Gupta
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Vanessa
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Well, another superfast paced book. I can't believe it all happens in such a short time. Action galore, with liitle bits of information that you must retain to ensure you keep up with the story. I was certainly surprised about the Commander coming into the story. I won't divulge anything cause you just have to read it yourself. But another book is coming I think. It can't be left like it is. It will continue for sure. Thanks Nathan. Keep writing.
Robert
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the third installment of the Fifth Column series, Nathan weaves a great tale of suspense with just the right amount of science fiction. His writing style is more solid now and the action never stops. The main characters are more developed and their backgrounds are staring to give the series more life. I would recommend this series for anyone who likes Jeremy Robinson's chess king series. I honestly can't wait to read Nathan's next novel.
dennis barron
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Phoenix variant. Nathan farrugia

The third book in this series is identical to the other two....explosive, non stop action!! An extremely well written techno thriller, with fantastic twists and turns on every page!! The fifth column controls the government's of the world, but only a select group of former operatives are willing to take them on . I enjoyed this book immensely!!! Was unable to put it down. A spectacular read!!!
Tiffany
As always Farrugia's stories have a lot of awesome action. Sometimes I have to wonder if his characters will ever catch a break, which is part of the reason that I love his books. The never ending action, the peril, and the question of will they or won't they survive.

Be open for some incredible scenes and go in with an open mind and I believe you will enjoy this book. Lots of blood, action, gore, and know that there is some language. Love the fast paced action.
Ben
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is for mine the best book of the series so far. It maintained the pacing and action of the first two, but seemed much more focused.

What stops this being 5 stars is some sloppy editing that pulled me right out of the story. Simple stuff, like using 'debris' 3 times in 2 sentences, or Denton adjusting a tie that a page earlier he explicitly didn't have.

That said, it's a great book. I pre-ordered book 2 and 3, and will definitely do the same for book 4, if there is one.
Lori March
Better than the second book in the series. I keep falling for these characters, they are becoming friends. I am even seeing real world cross over with some of the human conditioning. Scary. Imagine loosing control of your own body from brainwashing. How about obtaining super powers from meteorites? What if our version of human is really the dumbed down version of how we began? Every chapter seems to have action and potential danger. This story could go in a number of different directions.
Ian
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great story with familiar characters and a healthy dose of new ones to liven up the mix. Using the fith collum framework the story arcs bringing in interesting twists and turns creating trust issues and yet more intrigue.

I didn't know what a few things were in the book to googled them I hope GCHQ are not looking at my search history as it's full of weapons and ammo!
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Sara Douglass 'Book Series' Award. This entry is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I won't be recording my thoughts (if I choose to) here until after the AA are over.
Judee
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this was better than the second book in the series, as there is more of a science angle to the storyline and not just the action/adventure stuff. The characters are very well written, and it is great how a few of the side stories are wrapped up nicely. Quite a few twists and turns I never saw coming. Now that I have finished this series, I look forward to future works by the author.
Roderick Baxter
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The End?

I did enjoy this book as much as the other two. Lots of action, lots of suspense, a dash of drama and a tiny twist at the end. I am not sure that the story is fully resolved. Farrugia left a crack at the end just big enough for a Fifth Column 4. I have never been a big fan of stories that leave things a little in the air. Nevertheless, it was a cracking good yarn.
Wayne
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved the series from the start. Lots of twists and turns as well as non stop action. The characters were also brilliant and thats what I loved the most. Good ones and bad ones are there but the lines are really blurred sometimes which really makes the series stand out. Can't wait for more.
Gary Smith
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another great read from Nathan. The pace of #2 & #3 have slowed some what from #1, but the continuous flow does not detract. More of the characters features are coming through with each new saga leaving you waiting and wanting more when the current story finishes
Thomas Roth
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This episode closed with a resounding BANG and maybe, I hope, a hint of more to come!! The choreographing of the fight sequences is absolutely brilliant. There were times when I almost felt as if I were in the fray myself. I hope this series makes it to TV or movies.
Ronny
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Fast and nice read, though I must admit that while I like some of the characters, others not so much, I skimmed most of the chapters with Jay and Damien. Some of the plot too, for the world they've built so far, is a bit far fetched, but that's ok.
Gavriil Gabriel
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
His writing style is pretty unique and the fight sequence is so defined its like the line of text leaps out and tango in 3D. The book in general is fast paced and REALLY witty. I expect more books from Fagoogoo in the future haha.
Elizabeth
Another great book.

I know that if I want to read a book with tons of action, suspense , and crazy adventure I can always count of Nathan Farrugia to deliver.
Carol
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
there's only one word that can describe my reading experience: EPIC
I want another!
Rich
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

What a great book to an even better series. Farrugia knows how to captivate his audience and keep is wanting more. I look forward to reading more of his future work!!!!
Rich Willson
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sophia or "Soph" as she hates, is a BadAss!!
Tony Fecteau
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
another fantastic adventure story.... we shall see what happens next.... keep on writing!

• Dinner at Deadman's
  • Bloodborne
  • Troll Mountain: Episode III (Troll Mountain, #3)
  • Death by Didgeridoo (Jamie Quinn Mystery #1)
  • Upload
  • No Holly for Christmas (A Magic City Duo #2)
  • The Case of the Cursed Dodo (The Endangered Files #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Listen to the Child
  • Six Seconds
  • This Body Won't Break: Part 1 (O-Negative, #1.1)
  • The Dragonlord's Heir (The Ascalon Trilogy, #1)
  • Penelope Crumb (Penelope Crumb #1)
  • Corrupted (Southern Watch, #3)
  • Strike of the Sweepers (Janitors, #4)
  • Class of '98
  • Sketchy (Bea Catcher Chronicles, #1)
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
Nathan M. Farrugia is the USA Today bestselling author of the Helix and Fifth Column sci-fi thriller series.

Nathan is known for placing himself in dangerous situations, including climbing rooftops in Russia and being hunted by special forces trackers in the United States. He studies Systema, a little-known martial art and former secret of the Russian special forces.

Beyond his army training, Nathan

The Fifth Column (3 books)
  • The Chimera Vector (The Fifth Column, #1)
  • The Seraphim Sequence (The Fifth Column, #2)
“Negative,’ Czarina said without so much as glancing at it. ‘I don’t have the authorization.’ ‘Fuck me,’ Sophia said. ‘Is that your command?’ Czarina said. ‘No, I mean follow me,’ Sophia said.” 0 likes