Start by marking “A Lonely Magic” as Want to Read:
A Lonely Magic

A Lonely Magic

Fen’s life is on track—she works, she studies, she pays her rent—until a gorgeous guy points a gun at her and demands that she choose how she wants to die. What the hell? When a teenage boy, Luke, comes to her rescue, she survives, but escape won’t be so easy.

Luke’s sexy older brother, Kaio, offers to help her, but his protection simmers with unnerving undercurrents. The b
Paperback
Published July 10th 2014 (first published July 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Lonely Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lonely Magic

Olga Godim
Jul 06, 2014 Olga Godim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
I received this Kindle ARC through NetGalley, courtesy of the author

Sarah Wynde has changed her genre, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I’ve been her fan since her first Tassamara novel, A Gift of Ghosts (my review here ). All three Tassamara novels were delightful paranormal romances.
This one is pure fantasy with lascivious overtones. No romance manifested, but the story is super-inventive on the world building side. The writer’s imagination must’ve been on overdrive when she wrote this book.
It s
Farwa
Finally it ended! I am relieved. I don't think i have skimmed through any book like this, apart from if there is a really graphical intimate scene which always makes me cringe, though i did it for only one chapter. The first 10 to 20 % or 30 maybe was good. I was enjoying it and wanting to read it but then all the boring and too much lengthy details by sia mara and all and so many of their houses left me keeping an eye on how many percentage did i cover. Not going much in details but th
Mireille
Feb 27, 2016 Mireille rated it really liked it
(This is not the actual cover of my copy, but that cover was... unfortunate. And this is ebook, so I can choose!)

I really liked this! I loved the beginning, then thought it meandered a bit while in the islands, but it definitely got kicked up a notch or two once Fen went travelling. I love stories where people have powers that even they ignore, makes for cool identity reveals. I liked the world, even though I am actually not much for straight-up fantasy. There are lots of cool relationships to b
Hannah Ringler
Jul 16, 2014 Hannah Ringler rated it it was ok
A Lonely Magic actually came out a few days ago, on July 10th, which is great, because that means that if you’re looking for a fast-paced YA novel with a hearty dose of magic and a plethora of attractive people, you can go out and get it right away! To sum up, Fen, a young bookseller, is accosted in an alley and told to choose her death - pills or pistol. A stranger comes out of the gloom and rescues her, but is shot himself in the act. She tries to call for help, but falls unconscious before sh ...more
Rebecca
Feb 20, 2015 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rar, arc, 2016
I would firstly like to thank the author and netgallery for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. The review is as follows

This book was an unexpected surprise, mainly because I wasn't really sure what to expect as I'd requested it from netgallery so long ago and have only now got round to reading it I had forgotten the synopsis or why I'd requested it. It was a great story with a lot of promise, interesting characters and a huge amount of possible direction
Tim
Aug 19, 2014 Tim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-adult
A fun and engaging book by a unique author, A Lonely Magic is (no surprise) a delightful read. It's rare these days that I'll stay up into the night and read obsessively, but I did for this one.

A Lonely Magic tells Fen's story. She is a street smart orphan with a past she thinks she knows all about. She's wrong. Perhaps dead wrong. She's a different character from Wynde's other heroines, and it shows a lot of strength that the author can switch to a new voice so readily.

Fen is abrasive and indep
Anna
Jul 03, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book by Sarah Wynde! A Lonely Magic is quite different from her Tassamara series, but is just as good (with the potential to become even better as this new series progresses).

Like Wynde's previous novels, A Lonely Magic is carried by a strong heroine, in this case a 21-year-old who spent much of her late teens on the street but is now working toward pulling her life together. Enter two mysterious men, who remind me delightfully of the love interests in Cassandra Clare's The Inf
Donna
Jul 06, 2014 Donna rated it it was amazing
After reading the Tassamara books by Sarah Wynde, I was very excited to read her newest novel A Lonely Magic. I was not disappointed! A Lonely magic is a wonderful story about finding yourself in the most exotic of ways. Fen finds herself in the most terrifying and illogical of situations when she walks out of work right into a hitman determined to take her life. Fen's life has not been easy and now that she is actually getting her act together this happens! This is just the beginning of a circu ...more
Tony Riches
Jul 27, 2014 Tony Riches rated it really liked it
Prepare to be amazed: A world without any books? A place where Google is unheard of? I should mention that Sarah Wynde's new fantasy A Lonely Magic is also set in a secret location deep under the ocean, from where 'watchers' visit the surface to check out human progress.

It is really when we take the plunge to the mysterious underwater world that we see Sarah's creative imagination notch up a gear, with a whole civilisation to get your head around. Rather than take the easy option and slip into c
Carol Gnz
Jul 29, 2014 Carol Gnz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first non ghost story book of Sarahs that I have read. Her stories are all really well crafted and edited. The story of a somewhat prickly young woman thrust into a difficult and evolving situation. This is the first book of what is hopefully a multi book series - perhaps a trilogy. While the book is complete in itself, I can't see how she could just leave it without telling us more of the woman's story.
The story drew me in and kept me reading the whole book in just a couple of ses
Meloney
Jun 20, 2014 Meloney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sarah-wynde
The creativity in this novel is top notch. A fantasy place set apart from the “real world” that I feel was done so well that it actually IS real and I could go visit. I’ve felt this way about Middle Earth for years, and now I can add the land created below the ocean to the list.

A well thought out plot that took me on loops and bends. The ending, woah! What a frown I had when the final twist was put in the plot and the novel ended. I am already yearning for the next book to come out!!!
Barbara
Jul 26, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing
After devouring each Tassamara book as it was released, I was less than sure about a departure from muggy central Florida. But Sarah Wynde has built a world, a set of realities that is fascinating, engrossing and credible. Meanwhile, the protagonist, Fen, is full of street smarts, but, here, in the book, she learns how to trust and maybe, how to love. Her interior monologue is hysterical, on point and bodacious. Read this one!
Kimberlie
Aug 23, 2015 Kimberlie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
What a surprise! I wasn't too sure I was going to enjoy this young adult fantasy (not my type of genre) but it jumped right into the action. I enjoyed the fantasy aspect of this story much more than I expected to. Fen is a great character with magical abilities in a strange new world. That sums it all right up. It's not masterly crafted, but it was such a fun experience that I felt lighter when it was over. I'll be looking for the second book in the series!
Gail
Aug 19, 2014 Gail rated it it was amazing
Loved the book. Sarah Wynde has such a beautiful way of telling a story. Fen is an orphan and working in a bookstore when a man tries to kill her. Out of nowhere, a boy appears to save her. Who is he and why is someone trying to kill her? The story becomes magical as it continues. Great story.
Diane Mccormack
Apr 03, 2015 Diane Mccormack rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Fen is a great character and a strong women, which I always like. The secret underwater world is amazing and I wish I could go. The magic on this world is different that what you would normally find in books. Great read. It would be 5 star but I wasn't thrilled with where the book ended. But is definitely a cliff hanger that will have me buying the next book. :)
~Adrianne~
Aug 04, 2015 ~Adrianne~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Story

So many different themes cleverly woven into a very fascinating story, could not put this book down.
Am anxiously awaiting to read more of this exciting saga .
Thank you, Ms. Wynde
Marian Elavsky
Jul 02, 2014 Marian Elavsky rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was different from anything that I have read. It involves magic, mysterious places, unusual people, a little humor, a lot of courage and loyalty to friends and family. I highly recommend it.
Michelle Wiles
In the beginning, I found this story a little slow and didn't really understand what was going on. However, as the story progressed, it all came together. I loved this story and am so looking forward to reading more of Fen's adventures. I would definitely recommend.
Stephanie
Jul 15, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
GREAT new series! Can't wait for book two! Amazing interesting, entertaining, imaginative, page-turner, work of fiction!!

Read it, just for fun and enjoy some just plain fun reading!!

AMAZING author!
Victoria Newman
Sep 22, 2015 Victoria Newman rated it it was amazing
Is a great book to read forever and ever
Sherri Johnson
Jul 24, 2014 Sherri Johnson rated it it was amazing
This book was a great book. I really like this author. I have read all of her books so far. If you like books with magic this one is for you. I recommend this one..
Melissa
Oct 19, 2016 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Fun book, great characters and interesting setting. This book held me captive from page one and I ended up reading the whole thing in one sitting.
Lorna
Jul 10, 2014 Lorna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars This is one of “those books”, the ones you get, start, don’t put down, and then wish you hadn’t finished it already. I really can’t say enough good about this story and writing. I found this to be a wonderful adventure, and a fantasy that part of me wished was real-well parts of it anyway. I love when a book takes me away to another world(as long as it’s not too weird) and this one did that.

What I loved about this book:
Fen is a street wise, twenty one year old, that finds herself in t
Kelsey
Feb 14, 2015 Kelsey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My Thoughts: How about this? I will talk about what I didn't like, then I will share what I did like. This is likely lack paragraph form as my notes are super confusing for this book. Sorry.

Okay, so the beginning was interesting enough but the speech seemed a little bit off. It struck me as too simple and speech is one of my things. It can cause me to hate or to fall in love with a book. I think that dialogue sets the tone. It creates the characters. In this novel, it bothered me a lot because I
Marsha Spohn
Feb 26, 2015 Marsha Spohn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

Wow. Just Wow.

My style of reviewing is to not give a summary, but to tell you why I did or didn’t love a particular novel and let you go decide your opinion for yourself. But, really – that’s going to be difficult because I just want to tell you the whole story right now… and I can’t. I just cannot. But I want to, does that count?

Fen hasn’t had an easy life. She’s been orphaned, in foster care, spent some time on the streets and did drugs. But she’s turned her l
Infantina
Apr 18, 2015 Infantina rated it liked it

I have always had a liking for Twilight kind of novel.When i learnt this novel is like Twilight and Hunger games, why would i be foolish enough to decline reading it?

This novel is about 21 years old Fen.She has been held captive by a young man.The man gives her two options.To die a painful death or take the pills that were offered to her.Fen chooses the latter.When she is taking the pills one at a time, Luken comes out of nowhere and rescues her.While saving her he is shot by the assailant.Fen s
Abi Ainley
Apr 24, 2015 Abi Ainley rated it really liked it
First of all, I'd like to mention that I did love this book. I wasn't expecting much from the lack of hype however this is one of those situations where you have to just ignore the presumption that it'll be crap and enjoy the book for what it is: absolutely brilliant!
Fen spends her days working in a bookstore, living on her own after her mum died and contemplating the benefits and banes of going to college. Until one day she's attacked by a man who offers her a choice between him killing her and
Nikki May
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Midnight Dawn (Mortal Machine, #2)
  • The Ruby Airship (The Diamond Thief #2)
  • Altered (Altered Sequence, #1)
  • Pas De Death (Dani Spevak Mystery Series #3)
  • The Battle for Arcanon Major (The Lost Dacomé Files #1)
  • Braving the Brontes (Carly Keene: Literary Detective, #1)
  • Unaccompanied Minor (April Mae Manning #1)
  • The Gift (Bandit Creek, #8)
  • Helter-Skelter
  • 39 weeks
  • The Eternity Key (Into the Dark, #2)
  • The Sneezing Christmas Tree
  • A Winter Discovery
  • A Christmas Wish
  • Firebug (Firebug, #1)
  • Take the Dog Out!
  • Beneath Beautiful
  • I Am the Mission (The Unknown Assassin, #2)
Sarah Wynde graduated from Wesleyan University with a degree in English, which she actually managed to put to use by becoming an editor. She's worked on magazines, websites, and books, including ten years spent as a senior acquisitions editor with Pearson. Eventually, her love of writing pushed her into independent publishing. She likes to think of the stories she writes as unexpected fiction—bend ...more
More about Sarah Wynde...

“A small but noisy subsection of Fen’s brain started planning. If Kaio hadn’t given Gaelith Harry Potter and Miles Vorkosigan yet, he was depriving her of more fun than she could imagine. She” 0 likes
“You could learn to read in a few months, easy, and magic and reading are sort of the same thing.” 0 likes