Start by marking “A Lonely Magic” as Want to Read:
A Lonely Magic

A Lonely Magic

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Fen’s life is on track—she works, she studies, she pays her rent—until a gorgeous guy points a gun at her and demands that she choose how she wants to die. What the hell? When a teenage boy, Luke, comes to her rescue, she survives, but escape won’t be so easy.

Luke’s sexy older brother, Kaio, offers to help her, but his protection simmers with unnerving undercurrents. The b
Paperback
Published July 10th 2014 (first published July 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Lonely Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lonely Magic

Olga Godim
I received this Kindle ARC through NetGalley, courtesy of the author

Sarah Wynde has changed her genre, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I’ve been her fan since her first Tassamara novel, A Gift of Ghosts (my review here ). All three Tassamara novels were delightful paranormal romances.
This one is pure fantasy with lascivious overtones. No romance manifested, but the story is super-inventive on the world building side. The writer’s imagination must’ve been on overdrive when she wrote this book.
It s
Tony Riches
Prepare to be amazed: A world without any books? A place where Google is unheard of? I should mention that Sarah Wynde's new fantasy A Lonely Magic is also set in a secret location deep under the ocean, from where 'watchers' visit the surface to check out human progress.

It is really when we take the plunge to the mysterious underwater world that we see Sarah's creative imagination notch up a gear, with a whole civilisation to get your head around. Rather than take the easy option and slip into c
Marsha Spohn
First reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

Wow. Just Wow.

My style of reviewing is to not give a summary, but to tell you why I did or didn’t love a particular novel and let you go decide your opinion for yourself. But, really – that’s going to be difficult because I just want to tell you the whole story right now… and I can’t. I just cannot. But I want to, does that count?

Fen hasn’t had an easy life. She’s been orphaned, in foster care, spent some time on the streets and did drugs. But she’s turned her l
Kelsey
My Thoughts: How about this? I will talk about what I didn't like, then I will share what I did like. This is likely lack paragraph form as my notes are super confusing for this book. Sorry.

Okay, so the beginning was interesting enough but the speech seemed a little bit off. It struck me as too simple and speech is one of my things. It can cause me to hate or to fall in love with a book. I think that dialogue sets the tone. It creates the characters. In this novel, it bothered me a lot because I
Tim
A fun and engaging book by a unique author, A Lonely Magic is (no surprise) a delightful read. It's rare these days that I'll stay up into the night and read obsessively, but I did for this one.

A Lonely Magic tells Fen's story. She is a street smart orphan with a past she thinks she knows all about. She's wrong. Perhaps dead wrong. She's a different character from Wynde's other heroines, and it shows a lot of strength that the author can switch to a new voice so readily.

Fen is abrasive and indep
Hannah Ringler
A Lonely Magic actually came out a few days ago, on July 10th, which is great, because that means that if you’re looking for a fast-paced YA novel with a hearty dose of magic and a plethora of attractive people, you can go out and get it right away! To sum up, Fen, a young bookseller, is accosted in an alley and told to choose her death - pills or pistol. A stranger comes out of the gloom and rescues her, but is shot himself in the act. She tries to call for help, but falls unconscious before sh ...more
Donna Rasmussen
After reading the Tassamara books by Sarah Wynde, I was very excited to read her newest novel A Lonely Magic. I was not disappointed! A Lonely magic is a wonderful story about finding yourself in the most exotic of ways. Fen finds herself in the most terrifying and illogical of situations when she walks out of work right into a hitman determined to take her life. Fen's life has not been easy and now that she is actually getting her act together this happens! This is just the beginning of a circu ...more
Carol Tilson
A whole new world. . .

Fen, as she prefers to be called lives alone, works at a book store, and is studying for her GED. That is the last boring thing you will read in this book. Closing up work, Fen is held at bay by a familiar looking man with a gun and a bottle of pills. He gives her a choice, death by gunshot or by overdose. The only thing she can think of is that she saw too much at her friends place, and now she has to pay. Smartly, she chooses the drugs and after taking a few, out of nowhe
Anna
Another excellent book by Sarah Wynde! A Lonely Magic is quite different from her Tassamara series, but is just as good (with the potential to become even better as this new series progresses).

Like Wynde's previous novels, A Lonely Magic is carried by a strong heroine, in this case a 21-year-old who spent much of her late teens on the street but is now working toward pulling her life together. Enter two mysterious men, who remind me delightfully of the love interests in Cassandra Clare's The Inf
siobhan Quinlan
Rating 4.5 Stars
KIndle copy from Netgalley
Fen is a great character and I really enjoyed reading her story. Fen is a 21 year old who who works in a book store. One night as she closed up she was attacked a stranger rescued her and from there the book takes a turn from a ordinary book to something amazing. The world is nothing like I have ever read before. The Author Sarah Wynde creates an amazing and beautiful world, that makes me wish it was real.

I will warn readers that if you do not agree wit
Lorna
4.5 stars This is one of “those books”, the ones you get, start, don’t put down, and then wish you hadn’t finished it already. I really can’t say enough good about this story and writing. I found this to be a wonderful adventure, and a fantasy that part of me wished was real-well parts of it anyway. I love when a book takes me away to another world(as long as it’s not too weird) and this one did that.

What I loved about this book:
Fen is a street wise, twenty one year old, that finds herself in t
Sigourney
Received from NetGalley for review.

DNF @ 20%

Nope, I'm done. This is insipid and ridiculous, and I refuse to waste any more of my time reading a book that is annoying me as spectacularly as this one. I can't abide any of the characters except Luke and too many stupid things have already happened. Notes on the first 20% below.

-Narrative - Fen's perspective, lots of internal monologue going on. Often silly. I am clearly expecting far too much from this book.

-Far too much emphasis on physical appe
Sasha Hibbs
* I received this novel in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley and the author *

Thank you Ms. Wynde and NetGalley for this ARC.

First, the cover...I loved it. It speaks to you in a way that urges you to pick it up.

Okay so the meat and bones of the story...well, let us jump right in:

"Pills or Bullet to the head".... Hmmm, no pressure there.

Our main girl finds herself in quite the predicament that is until lovely Fen shows up and turns her world upside down.

I thought the world building
Elaine
I really enjoyed this new YA Fantasy!

Fen’s mother kept them moving, never settling anywhere for very long but never explaining why they did so. When her mother dies, Fen has to start living on her own and she’s made a good start by getting a job in a bookstore and finding a place to live. However, at the end of a working day a gorgeous stranger gives Fen the choice of either being shot or taking some tablets, all the while keeping a gun pointed at her, he means business! She is unexpectedly resc
Monica
Wynde has built a world in which those in power struggle against each other, and the natural progression of their lives. Fen is a sarcastic heroine who does her best to keep up with rapid changes (including an attempt on her own life, being transported into an underwater world, and having a tattoo that speaks to her) and doesn't like to rely too much on anyone but herself.

A Lonely Magic is a little slow to get off the ground, after its intense opening. It's worth going through, though, to get t
Lauren (LiveREADLove)
My BookTube video review of A Lonely Magic: http://youtu.be/ad-23gHunEA

This book was pretty good!

In the beginning I was a little iffy on how the events played out because it was a tiny bit slow and vague but once you get a chapter or two in, the books takes a 180 and is really interesting!

The book follows Fen along with Luke (Luken), Kaio, and Gaelith.

I truly loved Fen's role in the book. I thought she was witty and funny and I could definitely relate to her. I also really liked that Fen was a '
Carol Gnz
This is the first non ghost story book of Sarahs that I have read. Her stories are all really well crafted and edited. The story of a somewhat prickly young woman thrust into a difficult and evolving situation. This is the first book of what is hopefully a multi book series - perhaps a trilogy. While the book is complete in itself, I can't see how she could just leave it without telling us more of the woman's story.
The story drew me in and kept me reading the whole book in just a couple of ses
Kathy Craton
Good read but different

Rating this book was hard for me. I enjoyed all other books by this author, this one is a little different. It is more fantasy/science fiction than her other works. Still a good story. I felt the f word was used a little to much therefore making me feel I was reading a book for young adults if that makes sense. I would have given 5 stars if I had not felt conflicted by some of the storyline. Yes the main character is young but the depth of her character seemed to be off. A
Joanne Myers
Libbye
Another giveaway! (Sadly the last, I was on a role though)

I suppose A Lonely Magic was a bit out of my usual zones. I've read Harry Potter of course, but modern fantasy isn't really something I have extensive experience with. Fen was funny throughout and I was more or less fine with other aspects of her character that were less relatable to me personally. Her random urge to have sex with all the random attractive old men around her was a bit odd, but at least she recognized it as a bit odd, haha
Maggie Dory
Once again, Sarah Wynde excels at creating a mystical alternate realty where magic and fantasy reign. This book opens with intense drama and mystery and has enough plot twists and intrigue to keep all but the most jaded of readers happy. My only complaint is that the "last of the species/tribe/line" theme that pops up towards the end is a little too cliche in fantasy writing.

PS: I received a copy of this book in a promotional giveaway.
Barbara
After devouring each Tassamara book as it was released, I was less than sure about a departure from muggy central Florida. But Sarah Wynde has built a world, a set of realities that is fascinating, engrossing and credible. Meanwhile, the protagonist, Fen, is full of street smarts, but, here, in the book, she learns how to trust and maybe, how to love. Her interior monologue is hysterical, on point and bodacious. Read this one!
Angel
I like Tassamara so much that I wasn't sure I would like another set of characters and setting, but Sarah Wynde has done it again. Fen is a very strong character and I really liked being inside her head as she experienced all these new things. I am taking away one star because I didn't think the references to another VERY BIG series were needed, plus I hate being reminded that Hedwig dies. The writing and possibility for the story deserves 4.5 stars.
Alexandra
Rating this book is so hard for me. Part of me loved the book and part of me hated it.

I loved the details the author put into the story and the different lands. I felt it was all really well-developed. The supporting characters were fun and had great personalities.

My problem lies within the main character Fen. I found her really annoying and immature. She is 21 and acts 15. She tries too hard to come off as a tough girl. She has no respect for other peoples' cultures. She's rude. She has no filt
Chelsey
This is one of those books that you pick up because the cover is interesting but keep reading because the story is captivating. I went into this thinking it would be another YA paranormal romance. I could not have been more wrong. This story is about Fen and her adventure with Luke and Kaio as she travels to their home under the sea. (Did you just start singing the song in your head? I had it stuck in mine for most of the second half of the book.) There's a bit of sexual tension between Fen and ...more
Kate
I am a huge fan of the author's other series so I was excited/nervous to start "A Lonely Magic". Though the world was completely different and the entire feel of the book was not similar Tassamara but it was engaging nonetheless. I loved the world building, sometimes it dragged more than the other series but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. I will definitely be returning to this author.
Kate
Slow to start but then once the book started moving it was quite interesting. Fen was a great main character I really liked her and she made me laugh. I also quite like Luke but I'm not so sure about Kaio. I am excited to see what new adventures are to come next for these characters because the plot did draw me in once the story finally got underway.

Gail
Loved the book. Sarah Wynde has such a beautiful way of telling a story. Fen is an orphan and working in a bookstore when a man tries to kill her. Out of nowhere, a boy appears to save her. Who is he and why is someone trying to kill her? The story becomes magical as it continues. Great story.
Meloney
The creativity in this novel is top notch. A fantasy place set apart from the “real world” that I feel was done so well that it actually IS real and I could go visit. I’ve felt this way about Middle Earth for years, and now I can add the land created below the ocean to the list.

A well thought out plot that took me on loops and bends. The ending, woah! What a frown I had when the final twist was put in the plot and the novel ended. I am already yearning for the next book to come out!!!
  • Midnight Dawn (Mortal Machine, #2)
  • The Battle for Arcanon Major (The Lost Dacomé Files #1)
  • Braving the Brontes (Carly Keene: Literary Detective, #1)
  • Pas De Death (Dani Spevak Mystery Series #3)
  • Unaccompanied Minor
  • The Eternity Key (Into the Dark, #2)
  • The Storm (The Rain, #2)
  • Hades
  • The Sneezing Christmas Tree
  • The Gift (Bandit Creek, #8)
  • 39 weeks
  • The Trouble with Being Wicked (The Naughty Girls, #1)
  • A Winter Discovery
  • A Christmas Wish
  • Firebug (Firebug, #1)
  • Here Come the Boys
  • I Am the Mission (The Unknown Assassin, #2)
  • Laila and the Witches of Kalazar
Sarah Wynde graduated from Wesleyan University with a degree in English, which she actually managed to put to use by becoming an editor. She's worked on magazines, websites, and books, including ten years spent as a senior acquisitions editor with Pearson. Eventually, her love of writing pushed her into independent publishing. She likes to think of the stories she writes as unexpected fiction—bend ...more
More about Sarah Wynde...
A Gift of Ghosts (Tassamara #1) A Gift of Thought (Tassamara, #2) The Spirits of Christmas (Tassamara, #2.5) A Gift of Time (Tassamara #3) A Tassamara Box Set: A Gift of Ghosts, A Gift of Thought and A Gift of Time, with bonus short story, The Spirits of Christmas