Start by marking “Midnight Harvest (Seasons of Blood, #1)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Harvest (Seasons of Blood, #1)

Midnight Harvest

(Seasons of Blood #1)

When a string of increasingly brutal serial murders spills into his jurisdiction, William Coe, a Homicide detective stricken with OCD and an eidetic memory, is forced to search for answers as the body count grows. As clues begin to surface, Coe starts to wonder about the exact nature of the killer he’s after. In a game of cat and mouse that could make or break his career, ...more
Published June 27th 2014 by Writer's Edge Publishing (first published June 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Harvest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Harvest

Start your review of Midnight Harvest (Seasons of Blood, #1)
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈

Read a book that scares you.

4.5 stars.

I am currently 8 reviews behind. This really tears me up inside. Whenever I leave a read book unreviewed, I get that nagging feeling every day like something is lingering over me. Seriously. That is how crazy I actually am. Every time I catch up, I read another book and I'm back to where I started. So naturally, instead of writing reviews for books I read months ago, I will review this one. Because this book deserves a proper review. I know what you all are
Bandit
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is hands down one of the best things about Kindle. Finding books like this. My first experience with the author and what an auspicious introduction. Midnight Harvest achieves a perfect blend of procedural and supernatural, which can't be easy because it's seldom done right. The main protagonist is a terrifically nuanced memorable and engaging character. One of the best literary detectives I've come across. The fact that he has OCD was just a cherry on top (since it's of great interest and ...more
Joan
Great story, creepy events and loads of gore! But, seriously, the writing is great and some scenes were brilliantly written. A clever, twisty, thoughtful book with a believable hero. I will be buying the second in this series, although the story could easily stand alone without any further books. (Which I appreciate, having been the victim of a few too many....'read the next book to find out what really happens'... endings.)
Jason Schneeberger
Sep 26, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5/5

I found this one for free in the Kindle store and really enjoyed it! I have really been into detective/crime/murder mysteries here lately and this book had all of that with a very gory horror element as well. If you are into graphic horror, then this book is for you because it certainly doesn't skimp on the red stuff, but if your squeamish or grossed out by gore, you might want to think twice before reading this one.

This is the first book of the Seasons of Blood trilogy and I definitely
Joyce McKune
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, paranormal
Murders were occurring during the new moon, every month. They already had a man in a psych clinic for a string of similar murders. William went to speak to him and was convinced he didn't do it. The wife he was accused of killing was still out there.
Rebecca Waldron
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap! Great read if you are in to horror! This book had me grossed out, yet seriously engrossed! Blood, guts and all the carnage you want rolled into a nifty story! I don't like to give the story away, si I don't recap any of it. Just know that if you like horror.... this IS for you!
Kim
Oct 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
stopped at about 70% Just couldn't finish.
Dan
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Scary

A rather unusual book. It ends as a cliffhanger and makes the reader wonder how the killer is going to be killed. Very interesting characters. The story ends with Coe chosen by the killer to be the personal foe. It is not in this book, but now the reader figures they will go head to head.
Donna
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Horrifying Thriller

Move over horror writers, Elias Anderson is in town! A horrifying tale with rich and gory descriptions. Not to be read in the dark! This story will send chills up and down your spine.
Barbara Baker
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
good book

this was a pretty good book. Will read more by this arthor. Good plot .Will read the next book in series.
Newsfoia
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Extremely well written.

A fine writer of characters, dialogue, narrative, and story line. Truly up there with Patterson, Koontz, and DeMille. Read him free while you can.
Robin
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Patti L Bennett
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Horrifying

Not a genre I typically read and \ or enjoy. I found this difficult to finish because it was so horrific. Blood and gut details beyond terrifying. Not for the faint.
Nigel
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was an interesting combination of detective /horror story. The reader is taken on a journey of discovery as the lead detective Coe struggles to make sense of a series of violent murders that appear to defy relational explanation. As the number of murders increase Coe is forced to embrace the truth that the murders are not what they appear to be and is forced to accept the scorn and ridicule of higher ups in the police department.
One negative on the book was the ending, as there is only
Carrie Olguin
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
No romance here. Just a good, scary, paranormal, detective story. The lead detective is, Detective Coe, who is OCD with a photograpic memory. The villian is... well, I dont want to spoil it. This is a story where the truth is so unbelieveable, those in charge do all they can to keep it buried, making it impossible for Coe to solve the horrific crimes.
This story makes me think this is the way our officials would behave if something like this creature really existed. Cover the truth with
Victoria Simcox
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Required to shadow a path that will take him to dwellings gloomier than he could have ever pictured, William Coe finds himself in a tough situation that could either further his career or end it. Coe begins to speculate about the precise conduct of the murderer he’s going after as the indications start to become clear. The number of the dead is growing, linked to a heartless serial killer. Elias Anderson wrote this dark story well, and the style grants it suitably, while still upholding sure ...more
Salisa
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, horror
It has been a long time since I have read a Horror this satisfying.

This is part Horror, paranormal and part suspense. There is a lot of suspense. This one is a very gruesome Horror, only for readers with a strong stomach.

Love the web that has been spun. But one thing that stuck at me was that the plot developement was rather slow it seemed. It felt like Midnight Harvest was depending on the gruesome nature of the murders to go by a lot. There was a lot of suspense and a lot of ups and downs.
Valerie a. Kelley
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me nightmares.

Written mostly from the main characters point of view, thou really connect with him. It's a spectacular mystery and you won't be able to put it down. This is not a sappy romance. Elias makes you empathetic towards the detective and almost feel protective of him. It's unlike any I've read. I read the sample of She Devours, the next in the series of seasons of blood and have a feeling it's going to get the juices of vengeance going. I'm a shut in so I won't have the
Emily Rodriguez
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good read

I give this four stars because it was pretty good, but I never really got 100% absorbed in it. This is a good read for anyone who's in to good bloody horror and gore. Not really for anyone under 18 though, it's pretty graphic (and has some sexual parts). A pretty evenly paced book. It also being a mystery, it keeps you wondering and wanting to know more, though in my case it wasn't enough to keep me reading for long periods of time. It's still good though. Good to read if you need a
Deana
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
The joke was on me when I started reading, thinking this just another murder mystery. Flash forward to 2 a.m., and there I am, fearful of peering through the vertical blinds and terrified to go to sleep.

This is a gory, but brilliantly written, thriller with a hefty dose of the supernatural. I really loved how I could envision the characters and literally feel every horrored nuance they experienced. The novel does end quite suddenly, but that simply made me want to begin the second installment,
Krista
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
This is apparently part of a horror series. In our story, Detective Coe, who suffers from OCD and the loss of his wife, has to investigate a series of mysterious deaths. They're all tied to a supernatural explanation. The book is readable and intriguing, but the conclusion is minimal, setting up for further reading in the series. (And while I thought the book was okay, I'm not going forward with the series.)
Arie Antonia
May 31, 2015 rated it liked it
This is another one of those toss up reads. It was a decent book but I feel like the author dropped the ball somewhere. The mystery aspect of the story line held up as well as all of the characters except for the demon. I read this whole book and still dont know much about the demon and that's where the author lost me. And what I did know the author hinted towards the end that it may not be true. The ending was also somewhat of a let down. I'm not sure if I will follow this series
Ashin
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Possible spoiler

good book. sometimes could not read before sleeping- there are creepy parts. gave it a 3 star bc I did not think this book was going to be so supernatural. I liked how everything was before we found out what the killer was. the author did a good job in hooking you in, just not what I expected. I personally would have liked the ending to be more "human based?" rather than supernatural. all in all good book. very descriptive. felt like I was there.
Marcia Witherspoon
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Unexpected plot and story

I was very surprised to discover that this book was a totally different kind of mystery novel and turns out to be more of a horror story instead. However, it was a pleasant surprise because I happen to be a fan of horror novels and movies so I got two for the price of one out of this selection. It was a riveting and gruesome adventure into a whole new world. I liked it and would recommend it.
Marti
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the sort of book that you might not want to read when you are by yourself, late at night. There are some really graphic sections, and some that are other worldly. William Coe was married but lost his wife many years ago. His work is his life, but he suffers from some OCD. He has been a good cop, but things change somewhat and his sanity is in question. Midnight Harvest is definitely not for the squeamish.
Joyce Robbins
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good book, add a star if you like gore

I'm not one for horror movies with blood and guts, but if you can get past it this is a good book.
Strong characters, good buildup to the next book. The plot was believable enough, given the paranormal storyline. I could see someone making this into an HBO series.
ginahehirr
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!!!!

From first page to last, what a gripping read. This is certainly an author whose books I will be adding to my wish list! Complex characters and an unbelievable story, which by the end of the book is totally plausible!!! Loved loved loved it!! Am I going ott, maybe, great read tho....
Patsy Johnson
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down

If you like fantasy and mystery, you will like this book. It is well written with few misspellings. The main character is OCD, a widowed cop trying to keep it together. Trying to not show much of his phobias while having every murder scene embedded in his brain forever. A good read based in Portland Oregon.
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Found this whilst browsing the Kindle store, a great introduction to a new (to me) author. This book was a mix of supernatural and horror - quite graphic in some places, so maybe not for everyone! I hadn't expected the supernatural element, perhaps this is why i didn't really feel like I got into the book.
Sandra
Nov 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Good horror story. Great main character. It was annoying, though, to have so many errors in grammar and sentence structure. Sometimes I couldn't figure out what the author was saying. I see this more and more -- sloppy writing and editing. Maybe it's just a symptom of the failing US educational system.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Ghost Files (The Ghost Files, #1)
  • Nine Lives (Sam Archer, #1)
  • Dead Wood (John Rockne Mysteries #1)
  • The Grave Man (Sam Prichard #1)
  • Eleven (Brandon Fisher FBI, #1)
  • Murder on the Mind (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #1)
  • Dusty's Diary Box Set: Apocalypse Series (Books 1-3)
  • The Gray and Guilty Sea (Garrison Gage, #1)
  • The Last Call (Bill Travis Mysteries, #1)
  • London (Surviving The Evacuation #1)
  • Sacrifice (Madison Knight, #3)
  • Death By Sarcasm (Mary Cooper Mystery, #1)
  • Artificial Evil (The Techxorcist, #1)
  • Slow Burn Box Set: The Complete Post Apocalyptic Series (Books 1-9)
  • Handbook for the Criminally Insane
  • Little God Blues (The Jim Shalabon Playlist Book 1)
  • Wicked Innocents: Case No. 1 (The Frontenac Sisters: Supernatural Sleuths & Monster Hunters)
  • Hushabye (Kate Redman Mysteries, #1)
Born in 1978 in the wastelands of southeastern Montana, Elias Anderson was moved to Colorado at the age of six weeks. He spent the next 21 years in various parts of the state until relocating to California and Oregon, only to settle back in Denver with his wife and two daughters.

His professional writing experience ranges from staff writer and reporter for the Coastal View News (Carpinteria, CA) to

Seasons of Blood (3 books)
  • She Devours (Seasons of Blood, #2)
  • Darkling Spawn (Seasons of Blood, #3)
“Alex turned back to watch the firemen and the cops picking through the blackened rubble. Smoke still rose in places, Alex’s nose burning from the stink of it. The cops would walk through the remains of the house for short periods, then move to the grass to let the soles of their shoes cool.” 0 likes
“get off, it wasn’t” 0 likes