Jump to ratings and reviews

Parasol Protectorate #0.5

The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't

A short tale of mummies, werewolves, and well preserved felines set in the world of the Parasol Protectorate.

Alessandro Tarabotti and his valet, Floote, are on a mission in Egypt when they encounter visiting tourists and things go all pie shaped. What is his real mission and will his Aunt Archangelica approve of his treatment of her cat?

In this short story, New York Times Bestselling Author Gail Carriger uses her comedic voice to delve into the history of one of her most beloved characters. If you have ever wondered about Alexia's father, this will give you a glimpse into his adventures and character.

This story was first published in The Book of the Dead, a Jurassic London anthology.

32 pages, ebook

First published June 27, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Gail Carriger

53 books14.8k followers
Gail Carriger writes comedies of manners mixed with paranormal romance (and the sexy San Andreas Shifter series as G L Carriger). Her books include the Parasol Protectorate and the Finishing School series. She is published in many languages and has over a dozen NYT bestsellers. She was once an archaeologist and is fond of shoes, octopuses, and tea. Join the Chirrup for sneak peaks of upcoming giggles: http://gailcarriger.com/chirrup

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
402 (8%)
1 star
59 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 460 reviews
Profile Image for Cora Tea Party Princess.
1,323 reviews800 followers
July 17, 2018
5 Words: Mysterious, Egypt, knob-head, fisticuffs, were-WHAT?

My thoughts about Alessandro Tarabotti seem to have been right - he's a bit of a knob-head. But it's all good. This is a very quick read, but full of the wit I've come to expect from the author. The voice is definitely different from that of Alecia.

I loved this short about Alexia's father and Floote. It was fun and paved the way for so much MORE in this already fantastic world. It revealed a little more about the history of the characters and how the world was developing.

I hope there are more shorts based on Alessandro. I'd happily read them all. I loved how much of a dick he was.

Get over to Smashwords and get this now. It's only $0.99 which last night due to exchange rates was a bargain £0.60! That's only 60p people! You can't buy a bar of chocolate for that!
Profile Image for Kandice.
1,496 reviews222 followers
September 30, 2014
I loved the Parasol Protectorate series and was sad to read the last book. When I saw this little prequel story was available I was excited to revisit the world that Carriger had created. Sadly, I just did NOT like Alessandro Tarrabotti. The fussy, prissy things I found so interesting and amusing in his daughter just seemed like affectation here. He was also ruthless, which was not what I was expecting.

I wish Carriger had written a prequel that was more about Floote. Now him I like!
Profile Image for Robin.
243 reviews37 followers
August 19, 2014
This book did not have enough word in it. And I was really hoping Mr. Tarrabotti would run into Amelia and Emerson while he was in Egypt.
Perhaps next time.
Profile Image for Diana.
489 reviews35 followers
October 22, 2019
Demasiado absurdo, que raya en lo ridículo.
Profile Image for Yj.
152 reviews2 followers
May 3, 2021
Alessandro before he was Alexia’s father.
My only gripe is that it wasn’t longer.
Profile Image for Yasmin.
199 reviews135 followers
January 2, 2019
I'm thinking of joining The Great 2019 Parasolverse Readalong - hesitating because I'm not too sure if I'll have enough time considering college and I don't want Gail Carriger to be the only author I'm going to read books of this year. But at least I've read the first one!

I hadn't read it before, I believe it's the only book or novella set in the Parasolverse I hadn't read yet. It was a lot of fun, Alessandro Tarabotti is not your usual Gail Carriger main character and the story was very intriguing, although a little short.
Profile Image for Apricat.
45 reviews10 followers
July 12, 2022
A nice little story (well, as nice as one with multiple murders can get). Alessandro was just about what I had expected!
Profile Image for Siobhan.
4,407 reviews463 followers
August 4, 2017
The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn’t is a fun little glimpse into the early Parasol world. Whilst it makes for an enjoyable quick read, it is not a necessary part of the series. It’s more so a read for the diehard fans. Personally, whilst I found this book enjoyable, it wasn’t quite what I had expected. I found myself expecting something a little bit more, meaning I was a little bit on the disappointed side when I didn’t get the hard-hitting short story I’d been anticipating.

Throughout the entire Parasol Protectorate series, I’ve been hoping to find out more about Alessandro Tarabotti. I wanted to know all about his past, and I wanted details of what happened with Floote by his side. To me, this felt more like a snapshot rather than the real look I had wanted. I got a tiny bit more about Alessandro Tarabotti, but not enough to extinguish my curiosity. I still want more; I would like even more stories about his life.

Nevertheless, it was a decent short read to add a wee bit more to the series.
Profile Image for Sandra.
1,284 reviews85 followers
March 7, 2015
Whilst this story is chronologically before Finishing School and Parasol Protectorate series, I'm sure you need to have read either of them first, probably Parasol. Being a short, there is really no explanation of the world, which is much fleshed out in the other series.

We get a little more understanding of Alessandro, Alexia's father from the Parasol Protectorate, and we see Floote at his valet best.
Profile Image for Desinka.
300 reviews63 followers
July 4, 2014
I loved finally meeting Alexia's father. He was just as eccentric and ruthless as promised and of course, great fun to read about. I didn't exactly get what the whole intrigue was about because I don't remember what Mr. Tarabotti's employers' purpose in life was but it was still very entertaining. I'd definitely like to meet him again.
Profile Image for Sophia.
Author 5 books325 followers
June 11, 2022
After I finished the delicious Parasol Protectorate series, I had every intention of going back for the short stories from the same world. I was glad to get a start on those with the prequel story about Alexia's father.

Alessandro Tarabotti is on a mission in Egypt when he fights off thugs, meets a jovial English tourist, and discovers a supernatural secret with the help of an archeological map.

This was quick and more a vignette than full story. I was always curious about this character who was dead before the start of Soulless and what was known of him by his daughter and his intrepid valet, Floote (Floote gets a secondary role in this one). But, this left me with more questions than answers about the person of Alessandro while at the same time, I was not disappointed to have this adventure in Egypt.

I don't think this would be a good story read standalone and might work best after starting the series than in chronological order though I suppose it would work before, during or after the series.
Profile Image for Paraphrodite.
2,417 reviews51 followers
May 3, 2019
3 stars.

This is the prequel of the series and is about Alexia's father who is in Luxor to dispose of some supernatural evidence uncovered by an archaeologist. It's a very short story and since it's the first time I've read this series, I think I'm missing some of the context surrounding Alexia's father. I'm hoping I will understand it more when I get further into the series.

An interesting start, nevertheless.
Profile Image for Paloma orejuda (Pevima).
496 reviews42 followers
October 23, 2019
Pues... he odiado al tal Tarabotti. Y eso ha hecho que no me haya gustado nada el relato.

Al principio no se sabe muy bien de que va la cosa (vale que quizá primero me tendría que haber leído los libros gordos), el protagonista es insoportable, un imbécil. Y el caso, si es que hay caso... irrisorio. Al final, lo de la piedra, me ha matado (en el mal sentido).

En fin 1 estrella sobre 5 porque ya hay bastante imbéciles en el mundo, como para encima leer sobre ellos. Lo siento, quizá no sea una puntuación merecida sin conocer previamente al protagonista... pero esta lectura ha sido como ha sido.

Profile Image for Catherine Stein.
Author 25 books154 followers
June 4, 2021
This was a fun little multi-cast audiobook. Probably won't make much sense if you're not familiar with the Parasolverse, though.
Profile Image for Natália Lopes.
559 reviews45 followers
September 24, 2019
Well, this was disappointing. I was very excited to get some insight on Alessandro Tarabotti, Alexia's father and a central point in the entire Parasol series, but I despised the character and I don't think this little story served to any purpose in the main series. He really is elitist and is contemptuous towards almost everyone else, as well as supernatural creatures. I wished we got to see a different aspect of his, like when he abandoned the Templars and got involved with the English government - maybe it would serve to humanize him a bit. As it is, it had the total opposite effect and I honestly wish I hadn't read this.
Profile Image for Kah Cherub.
371 reviews47 followers
November 10, 2014
Loved to see more of Floote! (I never knew he could talk so much.) The language/dialogues were just as clever/amusing/well-written as always, but I simply couldn't like Alessandro much. However, I really wish he lived long enough to see his daughter married to a werewolf. XD THAT would be amusing. (even if I am quite aware she would probably have been raised just like him, being taught to hate everything paranormal). The cat on the jar was interesting, but the mummy thing was even more!! I mean, could there be other types of weres? I was expecting to see a little fling or romance, as well. Leticia didn't sound as bad at that time, either. LOL. It was short, fun, but lacking something. ANYWAYS, now I want to re-read the whole series AND the manga collection. :) It's a win-win situation for me.
Profile Image for Kylara Jensen.
787 reviews34 followers
August 18, 2017
This is a light-hearted novella about Alexia's father in Egypt.

Even though it's a short piece, there are a lot of different concepts introduced. The whole anti-supernatural thing in Luxor, Egypt is the main thing. But we also meet Alexia's mom and are given some hints of how they got together.

Alexia's father is a super interesting character. He works for the Italians. He's even more Soulless than Alexia. He's very... practical and pragmatic, like Alexia, but also. He's more cold.

Overall a good addition to the universe and a fun little bonus read for people who loved the parasol protectorate. I want to know more about her father and his life now, though.
Profile Image for Marianne.
1,292 reviews144 followers
April 13, 2015
The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't, the Mummy That Was, and the Cat in the Jar may look like a children's novella, but I assure you, it it not. This is a prequel in the Parasol Protectorate series.

Having read the first three the Parasol Protectorate mangas, I was curious about the mysterious Alessandro Tarabotti. What can I say; Alessandro was not at all who I imagined he would be.

The story itself is a tad short and lacking on deeper details but fun for a quick look into the back story of the Soulless world. The ending felt a bit rushed, but nevertheless ,this was an entertaining little read.
Profile Image for Evie.
621 reviews45 followers
March 31, 2016
A short story about Alessando Tarabotti, Alexia's father, and his adventures in Egypt with his valet Floote. If you're ever wondered about the illusive Alessandro, this short story is for you.

It's such a ridiculous story and I loved every bit of it (even though it was incredibly short).

I definitely want to read more about Alessandro Tarabotti now. And I loved reading more about Floote. Both are a delight. I wish there was a whole book!

I would definitely give this more stars if it was longer but it was very enjoyable!
Profile Image for Ladiibbug.
1,547 reviews61 followers
July 13, 2016
#0.5 Parasol Protectorate series

An irresistible title, especially for fans of Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series. Alessandro Tarrabotti's mysterious trip to Egypt, with his ever-attentive valet Floote, carries out a highly secret investigation. I loved visiting this world again, being a big fan of this series, as well as the author's other books and short stories. Always a fun read, be it a short story or full length book!
Profile Image for Colleen.
237 reviews20 followers
April 26, 2021
Normally I am not a short story person, but I am a completionist, and therefore for the first time in my life bought a digital copy on my IPad and settled into reading The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn’t. As this is only a 25-page story, this review is not going to be very long, but I did enjoy this story and how much world-building it added in such a short period of time. As I have only read the Finishing Academy at this point, which is completely focused on English politics and the pull between the supernaturals and the humans who didn’t want them to have control. While there were a few mentions to other countries and their handling of supernaturals, it was not the focus. Yet, in this 25-page story, we learn that a few countries are violently opposed to the supernatural, such as in Italy, and that some countries like Egypt have things in place where supernaturals are stripped from their powers when they are in the country, as least werewolves are which has very interesting implications. I’m not sure how I feel about the Egyptian gods possibly being supernaturals, but it was an interesting take on the hieroglyphics depicting the old gods as having animal heads. Also, Alessandro Tarabotti is not a likable character, but the man had a job and by god he did it. It’s a fun little story that gives more information and flavor to the world that Carriger created.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 460 reviews