Start by marking “The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't (Parasol Protectorate, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't (Parasol Protectorate, #0.5)

The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't

(Parasol Protectorate #0.5)

A short tale of mummies, werewolves, and well preserved felines set in the world of the Parasol Protectorate.

Alessandro Tarabotti and his valet, Floote, are on a mission in Egypt when they encounter visiting tourists and things go all pie shaped. What is his real mission and will his Aunt Archangelica approve of his treatment of her cat?

In this short story, New York Times
Published June 29th 2014 by Gail Carriger LLC (first published June 27th 2014)

Start your review of The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't (Parasol Protectorate, #0.5)
Cora Tea Party Princess
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
5 Words: Mysterious, Egypt, knob-head, fisticuffs, were-WHAT?

My thoughts about Alessandro Tarabotti seem to have been right - he's a bit of a knob-head. But it's all good. This is a very quick read, but full of the wit I've come to expect from the author. The voice is definitely different from that of Alecia.

I loved this short about Alexia's father and Floote. It was fun and paved the way for so much MORE in this already fantastic world. It revealed a little more about the history of the charact
Kandice
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I loved the Parasol Protectorate series and was sad to read the last book. When I saw this little prequel story was available I was excited to revisit the world that Carriger had created. Sadly, I just did NOT like Alessandro Tarrabotti. The fussy, prissy things I found so interesting and amusing in his daughter just seemed like affectation here. He was also ruthless, which was not what I was expecting.

I wish Carriger had written a prequel that was more about Floote. Now him I like!
Badseedgirl
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
Gail Carriger can do no wrong, apparently.
Kathy
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Nice little story
Robin
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it
This book did not have enough word in it. And I was really hoping Mr. Tarrabotti would run into Amelia and Emerson while he was in Egypt.
Perhaps next time.
Asia
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lizard And Wombat Romance Reviews
Lizard: 3⋆.
Wombat: 4⋆.
Overall: 3.5⋆.
Yasmin ✨
I'm thinking of joining The Great 2019 Parasolverse Readalong - hesitating because I'm not too sure if I'll have enough time considering college and I don't want Gail Carriger to be the only author I'm going to read books of this year. But at least I've read the first one!

I hadn't read it before, I believe it's the only book or novella set in the Parasolverse I hadn't read yet. It was a lot of fun, Alessandro Tarabotti is not your usual Gail Carriger main character and the story was very intrigu
Julia
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mount-tbr-19, i-own
Interesting prequel. Now I'm looking forward to starting the series with Etiquette and Espionage.
Siobhan
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn’t is a fun little glimpse into the early Parasol world. Whilst it makes for an enjoyable quick read, it is not a necessary part of the series. It’s more so a read for the diehard fans. Personally, whilst I found this book enjoyable, it wasn’t quite what I had expected. I found myself expecting something a little bit more, meaning I was a little bit on the disappointed side when I didn’t get the hard-hitting short story I’d been anticipating.

Throughout t
Sandra
Whilst this story is chronologically before Finishing School and Parasol Protectorate series, I'm sure you need to have read either of them first, probably Parasol. Being a short, there is really no explanation of the world, which is much fleshed out in the other series.

We get a little more understanding of Alessandro, Alexia's father from the Parasol Protectorate, and we see Floote at his valet best.
Desinka
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved finally meeting Alexia's father. He was just as eccentric and ruthless as promised and of course, great fun to read about. I didn't exactly get what the whole intrigue was about because I don't remember what Mr. Tarabotti's employers' purpose in life was but it was still very entertaining. I'd definitely like to meet him again.
Paraphrodite
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
3 stars.

This is the prequel of the series and is about Alexia's father who is in Luxor to dispose of some supernatural evidence uncovered by an archaeologist. It's a very short story and since it's the first time I've read this series, I think I'm missing some of the context surrounding Alexia's father. I'm hoping I will understand it more when I get further into the series.

An interesting start, nevertheless.
Alisha Webster
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable short read - I read this as part of the read along her fan group is doing.
Sam (Hissing Potatoes)
Carriger's usual humor was great, but overall I found the story lacking. I also really didn't like the full cast audio narration with distracting background music and sounds.
Natália Lopes
Well, this was disappointing. I was very excited to get some insight on Alessandro Tarabotti, Alexia's father and a central point in the entire Parasol series, but I despised the character and I don't think this little story served to any purpose in the main series. He really is elitist and is contemptuous towards almost everyone else, as well as supernatural creatures. I wished we got to see a different aspect of his, like when he abandoned the Templars and got involved with the English governm ...more
Kah Cherub
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved to see more of Floote! (I never knew he could talk so much.) The language/dialogues were just as clever/amusing/well-written as always, but I simply couldn't like Alessandro much. However, I really wish he lived long enough to see his daughter married to a werewolf. XD THAT would be amusing. (even if I am quite aware she would probably have been raised just like him, being taught to hate everything paranormal). The cat on the jar was interesting, but the mummy thing was even more!! I mean, ...more
Kylara Jensen
This is a light-hearted novella about Alexia's father in Egypt.

Even though it's a short piece, there are a lot of different concepts introduced. The whole anti-supernatural thing in Luxor, Egypt is the main thing. But we also meet Alexia's mom and are given some hints of how they got together.

Alexia's father is a super interesting character. He works for the Italians. He's even more Soulless than Alexia. He's very... practical and pragmatic, like Alexia, but also. He's more cold.

Overall a good
Marianne
The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't, the Mummy That Was, and the Cat in the Jar may look like a children's novella, but I assure you, it it not. This is a prequel in the Parasol Protectorate series.

Having read the first three the Parasol Protectorate mangas, I was curious about the mysterious Alessandro Tarabotti. What can I say; Alessandro was not at all who I imagined he would be.

The story itself is a tad short and lacking on deeper details but fun for a quick look into the back stor
Evie
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
A short story about Alessando Tarabotti, Alexia's father, and his adventures in Egypt with his valet Floote. If you're ever wondered about the illusive Alessandro, this short story is for you.

It's such a ridiculous story and I loved every bit of it (even though it was incredibly short).

I definitely want to read more about Alessandro Tarabotti now. And I loved reading more about Floote. Both are a delight. I wish there was a whole book!

I would definitely give this more stars if it was longer but
Ladiibbug
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
#0.5 Parasol Protectorate series

An irresistible title, especially for fans of Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series. Alessandro Tarrabotti's mysterious trip to Egypt, with his ever-attentive valet Floote, carries out a highly secret investigation. I loved visiting this world again, being a big fan of this series, as well as the author's other books and short stories. Always a fun read, be it a short story or full length book!
Shannon
The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn’t
Parasol Protectorate, Book .5

I Picked Up This Book Because: I wanted to finish up the series and I’ve had this one waiting around for quite some time.

The Characters:

Alessandro Tarabotti: I remember he is Alexia father and a curse breaker.
Georgia Worthington

The Story:

As I said previously it has been so long since I’ve read the Parasol Protectorate series that I don’t really remember the significance of this story.
Dolorianne
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. It's the prequel to what appears to be a fun and exciting universe spanning several series. The characters are matter-of-fact as they go about their secret task, but their methods make for some fun times. The ending is very intriguing. The main character makes a questionable moral choice that I hope has new context as I begin the full length novels that make up this world. I'm excited to get started.

Also, for those asking ... there is a mental exchange the main character has
Kati
A funny story about murder, mayhem and dead cats in Egypt in the 1840s. I loved the language, the way this story was written. Alessandro Tarabotti, the main hero, I liked... less. It's hard to cheer for someone who you know is in the wrong. Oh well.
Debrac2014
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short story with Floote and Alexia's father!
Jenn (not Lily)
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short
Well. I believe I like Alexia quite a bit more than her father. Possibly it's a very good thing they never met.
April eclecticbookworm
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just a snippet of Alessandro Tarrabotti in the days before coming to London. There wasn't a lot there but I want everything this series has to offer.
Mary
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a prequel novella to all of the books in the Parasolverse. This story is about Alessandro Tarabotti. Yes, the one and only Alessandro, Alexia father, previous master of Floote, and the lover of…. well that is a spoiler for other book so I won’t go there. Alessandro is referenced and not much is ever said about him. So I was super excited to read this 36-page novella which tells of one of this trips to Egypt.

My only complaint is that I wanted more. Alessandro is mentioned so much and yet
Beth Skye Denny
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Steampunk at its Best!

I love this nugget of information about the great Alessandro Tarabatti and how he met his wife. Gives such an exciting look into why Alexia is the strong personality in the Parasol Protectorate. Gail Carriger writes the most splendid characters in the most vivid settings!
Robiok
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was sooooo entertaining! Personally I adored the cold blooded Alessandro immediately, and this adventure so short and yet so bloody was delicious!
As an Italian this was also quite the avenging because I was sooo tired of having every character talk about Italians as savage and uncivilized, having Alessandro shit all over English folks was AMAZING.
Floote is as usual a delight. I'd be all for an entire series on Alessandro Tarabotti, sign me right now!
Gail Carriger Fan...: 01/01-01/06: The Curious Case 31 85 Feb 04, 2019 06:30AM
Gail Carriger Fan...: The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn’t 3 19 Oct 07, 2016 07:29AM

• Marine Biology (San Andreas Shifters, #0.5)
  • The Sumage Solution (San Andreas Shifters, #1)
  • The Omega Objection (San Andreas Shifters, #2)
  • The Enforcer Enigma (San Andreas Shifters, #3)
  • The 5th Gender (Tinkered Stars, #1)
  • Lost in a Pyramid or the Mummy's Curse
  • Imprisoned with the Pharaohs
  • The Invitation: A Night of Misadventures in Love, Sweet & Steamy Novella 1
  • Dress of White Silk
  • Hard Time (The Time Police, #2)
  • How to Survive an Undead Honeymoon (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #8)
  • Conversación con Una Momia
  • The Undying Legion (Crown & Key, #2)
  • Broken Warrior (The Weavers Circle, #1)
  • Cards & Caravans (Gaslight Chronicles, #5)
  • The Relentless Moon (Lady Astronaut #3)
  • Shadow Blade (Shadowchasers, #1)
  • Dying Valentine
Gail Carriger writes comedies of manners mixed with paranormal romance (and the sexy San Andreas Shifter series as G L Carriger). Her books include the Parasol Protectorate and the Finishing School series. She is published in many languages and has over a dozen NYT bestsellers. She was once an archaeologist and is fond of shoes, octopuses, and tea. Join the Chirrup for sneak peaks of upcoming gigg ...more

Parasol Protectorate (5 books)
  • Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)
  • Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2)
  • Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3)
  • Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4)
  • Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5)