Start by marking “The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't (Parasol Protectorate, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't (Parasol Protectorate, #0.5)

The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't

(Parasol Protectorate 0.5)

A short tale of mummies, werewolves, and well preserved felines set in the world of the Parasol Protectorate.

Alessandro Tarabotti and his valet, Floote, are on a mission in Egypt when they encounter visiting tourists and things go all pie shaped. What is his real mission and will his Aunt Archangelica approve of his treatment of her cat?

In this short story, New York Times
Published June 29th 2014 by Gail Carriger LLC (first published June 27th 2014)

Cora Tea Party Princess
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
5 Words: Mysterious, Egypt, knob-head, fisticuffs, were-WHAT?

My thoughts about Alessandro Tarabotti seem to have been right - he's a bit of a knob-head. But it's all good. This is a very quick read, but full of the wit I've come to expect from the author. The voice is definitely different from that of Alecia.

I loved this short about Alexia's father and Floote. It was fun and paved the way for so much MORE in this already fantastic world. It revealed a little more about the history of the charact
Badseedgirl
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
Gail Carriger can do no wrong, apparently.
Kandice
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I loved the Parasol Protectorate series and was sad to read the last book. When I saw this little prequel story was available I was excited to revisit the world that Carriger had created. Sadly, I just did NOT like Alessandro Tarrabotti. The fussy, prissy things I found so interesting and amusing in his daughter just seemed like affectation here. He was also ruthless, which was not what I was expecting.

I wish Carriger had written a prequel that was more about Floote. Now him I like!
Asia
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Robin
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it
This book did not have enough word in it. And I was really hoping Mr. Tarrabotti would run into Amelia and Emerson while he was in Egypt.
Perhaps next time.
Lizard And Wombat Romance Reviews
Lizard: 3⋆.
Wombat: 4⋆.
Overall: 3.5⋆.
Yasmin ✨
I'm thinking of joining The Great 2019 Parasolverse Readalong - hesitating because I'm not too sure if I'll have enough time considering college and I don't want Gail Carriger to be the only author I'm going to read books of this year. But at least I've read the first one!

I hadn't read it before, I believe it's the only book or novella set in the Parasolverse I hadn't read yet. It was a lot of fun, Alessandro Tarabotti is not your usual Gail Carriger main character and the story was very intrigu
Julia
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, mount-tbr-19
Interesting prequel. Now I'm looking forward to starting the series with Etiquette and Espionage.
Siobhan
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn’t is a fun little glimpse into the early Parasol world. Whilst it makes for an enjoyable quick read, it is not a necessary part of the series. It’s more so a read for the diehard fans. Personally, whilst I found this book enjoyable, it wasn’t quite what I had expected. I found myself expecting something a little bit more, meaning I was a little bit on the disappointed side when I didn’t get the hard-hitting short story I’d been anticipating.

Throughout t
Sandra
Whilst this story is chronologically before Finishing School and Parasol Protectorate series, I'm sure you need to have read either of them first, probably Parasol. Being a short, there is really no explanation of the world, which is much fleshed out in the other series.

We get a little more understanding of Alessandro, Alexia's father from the Parasol Protectorate, and we see Floote at his valet best.
Desinka
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved finally meeting Alexia's father. He was just as eccentric and ruthless as promised and of course, great fun to read about. I didn't exactly get what the whole intrigue was about because I don't remember what Mr. Tarabotti's employers' purpose in life was but it was still very entertaining. I'd definitely like to meet him again.
Paraphrodite
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
3 stars.

This is the prequel of the series and is about Alexia's father who is in Luxor to dispose of some supernatural evidence uncovered by an archaeologist. It's a very short story and since it's the first time I've read this series, I think I'm missing some of the context surrounding Alexia's father. I'm hoping I will understand it more when I get further into the series.

An interesting start, nevertheless.
Alisha Webster
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable short read - I read this as part of the read along her fan group is doing.
Kah Cherub
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved to see more of Floote! (I never knew he could talk so much.) The language/dialogues were just as clever/amusing/well-written as always, but I simply couldn't like Alessandro much. However, I really wish he lived long enough to see his daughter married to a werewolf. XD THAT would be amusing. (even if I am quite aware she would probably have been raised just like him, being taught to hate everything paranormal). The cat on the jar was interesting, but the mummy thing was even more!! I mean, ...more
Marianne
The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't, the Mummy That Was, and the Cat in the Jar may look like a children's novella, but I assure you, it it not. This is a prequel in the Parasol Protectorate series.

Having read the first three the Parasol Protectorate mangas, I was curious about the mysterious Alessandro Tarabotti. What can I say; Alessandro was not at all who I imagined he would be.

The story itself is a tad short and lacking on deeper details but fun for a quick look into the back stor
Kylara Jensen
This is a light-hearted novella about Alexia's father in Egypt.

Even though it's a short piece, there are a lot of different concepts introduced. The whole anti-supernatural thing in Luxor, Egypt is the main thing. But we also meet Alexia's mom and are given some hints of how they got together.

Alexia's father is a super interesting character. He works for the Italians. He's even more Soulless than Alexia. He's very... practical and pragmatic, like Alexia, but also. He's more cold.

Overall a good
Evie
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
A short story about Alessando Tarabotti, Alexia's father, and his adventures in Egypt with his valet Floote. If you're ever wondered about the illusive Alessandro, this short story is for you.

It's such a ridiculous story and I loved every bit of it (even though it was incredibly short).

I definitely want to read more about Alessandro Tarabotti now. And I loved reading more about Floote. Both are a delight. I wish there was a whole book!

I would definitely give this more stars if it was longer but
Ladiibbug
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
#0.5 Parasol Protectorate series

An irresistible title, especially for fans of Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series. Alessandro Tarrabotti's mysterious trip to Egypt, with his ever-attentive valet Floote, carries out a highly secret investigation. I loved visiting this world again, being a big fan of this series, as well as the author's other books and short stories. Always a fun read, be it a short story or full length book!
Shannon
The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn’t
Parasol Protectorate, Book .5

I Picked Up This Book Because: I wanted to finish up the series and I’ve had this one waiting around for quite some time.

The Characters:

Alessandro Tarabotti: I remember he is Alexia father and a curse breaker.
Georgia Worthington

The Story:

As I said previously it has been so long since I’ve read the Parasol Protectorate series that I don’t really remember the significance of this story. I know Alessandro is
Kati
A funny story about murder, mayhem and dead cats in Egypt in the 1840s. I loved the language, the way this story was written. Alessandro Tarabotti, the main hero, I liked... less. It's hard to cheer for someone who you know is in the wrong. Oh well.
Debrac2014
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short story with Floote and Alexia's father!
Jenn (not Lily)
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short
Well. I believe I like Alexia quite a bit more than her father. Possibly it's a very good thing they never met.
Grace
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun and enjoyable little prequel to the series, giving us a peak at Alexia's dead father back before she was even born.
Beth Skye Denny
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Steampunk at its Best!

I love this nugget of information about the great Alessandro Tarabatti and how he met his wife. Gives such an exciting look into why Alexia is the strong personality in the Parasol Protectorate. Gail Carriger writes the most splendid characters in the most vivid settings!
Sophril Reads
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a prequel novella to all of the books in the Parasolverse. This story is about Alessandro Tarabotti. Yes, the one and only Alessandro, Alexia father, previous master of Floote, and the lover of…. well that is a spoiler for other book so I won’t go there. Alessandro is referenced and not much is ever said about him. So I was super excited to read this 36-page novella which tells of one of this trips to Egypt.

My only complaint is that I wanted more. Alessandro is mentioned so much and yet
Robiok
This was sooooo entertaining! Personally I adored the cold blooded Alessandro immediately, and this adventure so short and yet so bloody was delicious!
As an Italian this was also quite the avenging because I was sooo tired of having every character talk about Italians as savage and uncivilized, having Alessandro shit all over English folks was AMAZING.
Floote is as usual a delight. I'd be all for an entire series on Alessandro Tarabotti, sign me right now!
Laura Martinelli
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Of all the characters who inhibit the universe of the Parasol Protectorate, there is probably none so intriguing and shrouded as Alessandro Tarabotti. (Possible exception of Lord Akeldama, or at least his past is shrouded and it shall be kept that way.) While there was a more humanizing element to Alexia’s father that we learn in Heartless, Alessandro still remains as distant a character as he is a parent. (I’m very much hoping that the upcoming Custard Protocol series will concern itself somewh ...more
Jun 27, 2015 rated it liked it
The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't, the Mummy That Was, and the Cat in the Jar is a short story set in the world of Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series that gives readers the chance to meet Alexia's father Alessandro Tarabotti. Although this technically is a prequel I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point if you're new to the series but if you've already read at least Soulless then you'll probably enjoy this glimpse into the past.

I've been wanting to know more about Alessan
nemotron
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
A delightful read, even if you are (like me) unfamiliar with the other books in the series.

My wife mentioned Soulless to me recently, when I asked her to recommend something witty and funny written by a female author. Unfortunately the kindle version is currently not available for sale (apparently its being worked on by the publisher and will be back in 2-3 weeks), but this short story was, so I decided to start here.

I'm not sure, if I would have gotten even more out of this, if I had read other
Regina
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Picked this up as a $0.99 special on Amazon.

I don't know if my expectations of a story by GC is set too high but unfortunately I was not overly impressed with this tale. I love how Miss Carriger always gets in the minds of her female leads of the Parasol Protectorate and E&E stories but this one fell a bit flat for me.

I was so excited to be given a taste of Alexis Tarabotti's father but it was only to be that. A taste. That left me more annoyed than craving more. Alessandro Tarabotti was jus
Gail Carriger Fan...: 01/01-01/06: The Curious Case 32 83 Feb 04, 2019 06:30AM
Gail Carriger Fan...: The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn’t 3 19 Oct 07, 2016 07:29AM

• Bury Me In Satin (InCryptid, #0.11)
  • The Omega Objection (San Andreas Shifters, #2)
  • The Hook (Iron Seas, #0.6)
  • Maelstrom (Whyborne & Griffin, #7)
  • The Harbinger: Books 1 - 4
  • The Clockwork Wolf (Disenchanted & Co., #2)
Gail Carriger writes comedies of manners mixed with paranormal romance (and the sexy San Andreas Shifter series as G L Carriger). Her books include the Parasol Protectorate and the Finishing School series. She is published in many languages and has over a dozen NYT bestsellers. She was once an archaeologist and is fond of shoes, octopuses, and tea. Join the Chirrup for sneak peaks of upcoming gigg ...more

Parasol Protectorate (5 books)
  • Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)
  • Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2)
  • Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3)
  • Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4)
  • Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5)