Start by marking “The Tale of Ginger and Pickles (Potter 23 Tales, Book 15)” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Ginger and Pickles (Potter 23 Tales, Book 15)

The Tale of Ginger and Pickles (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  1,244 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Ginger, a yellow tom-cat, and Pickles, a terrier, run a very popular general store but soon run into trouble because they give everyone unlimited credit.
Published September 1st 1987 by Warne (first published 1909)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Ginger and Pickles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Ginger and Pickles

Annet
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Traditional start of the year with a Beatrix Potter story. I liked this one. It's not really a consistent storyline, but charming and a sweet little story nonetheless. I like the combination of simple black/white pen drawings and the familiar full colour drawings of Beatrix Potter. Charming little book.
Lesley Looper
This tale has surprising relevence in today's economy, as Pickles and Ginger run a store that fails--because they give an open credit line to anyone and everyone. Trying to bill the other animals doesn't work, so they close their store and have to find other work. Meanwhile, the other little stores in the story that take cash only survive. Huh.
Calista
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, children
This was an odd little tale. It felt like a lesson in capitalism. Pickles and Ginger own a general store and they let everyone get things on credit. They never collect the money and so they have no money. The store closes and the animals move on. It is so odd. I guess it is saying you have to be able to collect the money. My niece wasn't as into this one.
Binibining `E (Maria Eleynita)
In real life i dont like Ginger and Pickles, i remove them whenever i see them in my food. Haha! Oh well story was a okay, i dont really understand the story, haha i am confused perhaps.. hmmm...
Dominick
Delightful and very funny, though minimally narrative, this relatively lesser-known Potter classic treats of Ginger and Pickles, a cat and terrier who run (very poorly) a shop that competes with Miss Tabitha Twitchett's, primarily by giving credit whereas hers does not, Consequently, their sales are significantly higher, but their revenues non-existent, until they go bankrupt. Many very funny, mordant moments, notably after the pair close the business, and we learn that Ginger now lives in "the ...more
Julie
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only i have ever found children's book that teaches children about credit. Very humorous but at first a difficult read only because it was so novel. I keep pausing, thinking 'is it really saying that?'My children are under 5 and I think it was hard to get them involved in the story. It had the cuteness and simplicity of potters other books. It was humorous. The cat badly wanted to eat the mice customers and the dog was in trouble with the law for not renewing his dog license. Of the Potter b ...more
Audryaunna
This would have to be my favorite story so far. Eventhough this book is really old it still has some revelance to todays economy. Pickles and Ginger are running a store that fails horribly. They give their customers open credit and that seems to be the downfall of their business.

RH Walters
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Combines whimsy and weltschmerz with great drawings.
Mariamarta Lee
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
best quote:
'it would not do to eat our own customers!'

This is my favorite Beatrix Potter story.
Kimberley doruyter
perhaps my least favorite, but still cute.
Jonathan
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1909 Beatrix Potter foresaw the ways that retailing would go, and these are the lessons I have learnt from her study:
1. Don't give credit.
2. People have no understanding of value-for-money.
Colleen
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby-bear
A rather odd book. I think the way Potter ends her books is rather annoying; no conclusion whatsoever.
Michele
SFPL big book sale 2017

cat and a terrier make terrible shopkeepers. I was quite vexed for them that no one would pay back their credit but pleased when the cat ate all the rabbits.
Siskiyou-Suzy
My mom always told me I learned to read when I was three, and by the time I was four, I could read almost anything. In sixth grade, I once told a teacher that I learned to read when I was three. It was just a factoid about myself that was relevant, so I said it. He said simply, "No you didn't," and then walked away. I was embarrassed: was I repeating the statements of a proud mom over-exaggerating? I stopped sharing that fact about myself because I assumed it must be untrue. Why would he have sa ...more
Dione Basseri
Something of a warning to treat your shopkeepers well. Ginger and Pickles run a very nice shop, but they accept payment in credit, and have a hard time collecting. To the point where they finally have to close shop and skip town to avoid their own debts, despite their ledgers showing so much in sales. After their disappearance, other shops raise prices, refuse the return of goods, and generally abuse their customers. In the end, a middle ground shop is opened, with good products and fair prices, ...more
Sev Luv
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book had great illustrations in it and the plot was was good but only up until the last part--that part was NOT good(for me, yeah... I didn't like it). Some parts of the book was rather confusing for me--and I'm in high school! I didn't get why such things would happen and how other things are considered "law" and such but I had taken into consideration that this short story(make that really short story) is a "Children's Novel". But at my age, I didn't get some parts of it. I would give this ...more
shawnna
ginger is a yellow tomcat.
pickles is a terrier.

these two are partner, who own a shop in a little village that offers a different variety of goods. ginger inspires fear in the mouse customers, while pickles inspires fear in their rabbit customers.

the two of them extend unlimited credit to some customers who never pay, so their till is always empty and they have to eat the food they have in their shop.

the story goes on to show you some old characters you would be familiar with, and some of their
Kaethe
I politely disagree with Lesley's review. While the book is strongly slanted in favor of a cash-only economy, it ignores the social value of credit, and too, it ignores the importance of a social safety-net. Dangerously regressive, this book attempts to inculcate a false feeling of financial equality between not only individuals of specific species, but also between all species. Furthermore, it perpetuates harmful stereotypes of terriers and encourages police profiling of same.

I bought it. Well,
Sarah Crawford
This is another Beatrix Potter book. The original book was copyrighted in 1909. Illustrations are both in black-and-white and color, and the book is in story form.

The term “Ginger & Pickles” refers to a small shop frequented by various animals. It's sort of a very miniature grocery store with extras. Ginger is a cat, and Pickles is a dog.

They give credit, meaning people put their purchases on a tab. Unfortunately, it seems that the customers never pay their tab. The shop fails, of course. A
B-zee
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Kisah Ginger dan Pickles nya agak nanggung, kalau dilihat dari sisi masalah ekonomi di daerah itu. Agak kurang mantap juga dengan penyelesaiannya. Intinya, memang ketiadaan tanggung jawab bisa merugikan orang lain, tapi orang-orang (atau boneka-boneka dan hewan-hewan) yang tidak bertanggung jawab kok rasanya tetap tenang-tenang saja.

Bagian yang paling saya suka adalah pembukaannya, tentang Ginger yang tidak tega melayani para tikus, dan penjelasan tentang kata 'credit' itu keren dengan caranya s
Jill
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

I'm not an expert on British currency so a little of this was lost on me, but I still enjoyed reading it to my children. Beatrix Potter's illustrations are timeless and appealing in their seemingly contradictory simplicity and detail. This tale read so much like a bedtime story from a favorite relative told to her little charges as a last-minute request that it was throughly enjoyed.

Though I am now curious about British economics at the time.
Alicia
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
You either are or aren't a Beatrix Potter fan, but this is one of her best! I used this when I worked as the Junior School Librarian at a posh Prep School to teach 1st and 2nd graders about the evils of credit and how poor Ginger and Pickles, a cat and dog who ran a General Store and gave credit to their customers, overextended themselves and ultimately had to declare bankruptcy. An excellent way to teach the ways and means of living within your means to the small fry set.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
So Ginger and Pickles own a shop and give everyone credit resulting in them going bankrupt, and everyone is pissed they stay in the neighborhood. Then bitchy chicken takes over the shop and everything is fine and everyone is paid. WTH! It would seem to be a moral on extending credit... but I can't be sure. Also, the doll people are freakin' me out.
Sam
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A beautiful little tale follow Ginger and Pickles as they try and run their shop giving open credit to friends who sadly take advantage of their good faith. Superbly written and beautifully illustrated in Potter's usual graceful style, a story that will appeal to adults and children alike.
Klelly
Jul 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two crazy shopowners run their business by allowing unlimited credit. They eventually get summoned, and the shop is shut down. "Ginger is living in the warren. I do not know what occupation he pursues; he looks stout and comfortable. Pickles is at present a gamekeeper." Things seem to work out.
Polly
Another one we only got from the library occasionally when I was a kid (we owned most but not all of Beatrix Potter in my mother's childhood editions), so I have not such a good memory of it, but did find it oddly compelling due to unfamiliarity at the time, I believe.
Clare
Jan 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved the incongruous mixture of social commentary and dressed-up animals, who still behave like animals at the same time as behaving totally like humans... typical, delicious Beatrix Potter.
Christabelle
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Kids were split as to how much they liked this one. Oldest girl gave it five stars, presumably because Lucinda and Jane -- dolls from the Tale of Two Bad Mice -- visited the opening pages. Younger brother gave it three stars. Older brother four. Two sissies gave it four as well. We liked it!
Prashant
Mar 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
I believe there is a lesson somewhere but couldn’t find where. The story starts with a store named Ginger and Pickles which has to eventually shut down because it gave things on credit and eventually no money came in. That’s about it.
Steph
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poor little Ginger and Pickles! They were once very prosperous, but others took advantage of them once they started offering credit. It is their generosity that ultimately leads them to their downfall.
  • Frog on His Own
  • My Goodnight Book
  • The Sea Serpent and Me
  • Miss Bindergarten Celebrates the 100th Day of Kindergarten
  • Babar and Zephir
  • Julius
  • Morgan and Me (Serendipity)
  • A Dark, Dark Tale (Red Fox Picture Books)
  • Valentine Mice!
  • A Picture Book of Abraham Lincoln
  • Disney's Finding Nemo: Just Keep Swimming
  • Mister Dog:  The Dog Who Belonged to Himself
  • Corgiville Fair
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit