Start by marking “Life Without Principle” as Want to Read:
Life Without Principle

Life Without Principle

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  877 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Kessinger Publishing is the place to find hundreds of thousands of rare and hard-to-find books with something of interest for everyone
Published March 1st 2007 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1863)

To ask other readers questions about Life Without Principle, please sign up.
colagatji ciężkie. bo zbiór esejów, bo pisany przez "wolno myśliciela" który rzuca tu i tam sentencjami ala coelho, bo gdy nie rzuca to opisuje trywialne czynno…moreciężkie. bo zbiór esejów, bo pisany przez "wolno myśliciela" który rzuca tu i tam sentencjami ala coelho, bo gdy nie rzuca to opisuje trywialne czynności, którymi zajmuje się w życiu takie jak np. obserwowanie szczurów wodnych, bo wydanie które posiadam jest napisane specyficznym językiem trącącym myszką, ale byc może wynika to ze specyfikacji orginału, bo czytałam ten zbiór ponad rok, a ponieważ autor ma zwyczaju skakac od jednej myśli do drugiej co zdanie, nie jestem w stanie powiedziec o czym czytałam rok temu. ogólnie zgadzam się z większością jego tez zwłaszcza tych głoszonych w "życiu bez zasad" ale już te z "obywatelskiego nieposłuszeństwa" nie są dla mnie zrozumiałe w żaden sposób. nie wiem czy to pomoże. długo zastanawiałam się nad oceną ale 3 to chyba najprawiedliwsze co mogę dac. czy polecam? raczej nie. jest wiele lepszych zbiorów esejów, którym warto poświęcic czas(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Life Without Principle
Ronen
Jul 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
A real gem, liked it better than Walden, which I often got lost in. This is short and straight to the point, which I find Thoreau makes powerfully. Written 150 years ago, but ever so relevant. I found his views on commerce especially interesting- "A commerce that whitens every sea in quest of nuts and raisins, and makes slaves of its sailors for this purpose!"

I've oftened wondered myself about the seemingly endless race to expand, increase, enlarge- to what end? So we'll be able to play high def
Viji (Bookish endeavors)
Straightforward,bold and precise.. It was a really interesting read. This is a criticism of man's tendency to focus on finding a means of living rather than on life in general. Instead of doing what he likes and doing it honestly and sincerely,he goes behind jobs that provide him money because it's money that rules the world of today. Thoreau asks why men go to distant places for gold-digging when there are rivers that come from the golden mountains in their place. He also criticizes the newspap ...more
Himanshu Rathore
"I look down from my height on nations,
And they become ashes before me;—
Calm is my dwelling in the clouds;
Pleasant are the great fields of my rest."
Bonyo
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glimpse into the Minimalist Thoreau

This book helped me better understand H.D ideals, especially independence of mind and not swaying with the winds of the times. And I got a glimpse into his minimalism ideals, sharply capture by “I do believe in simplicity. When the mathematician would solve a difficult problem, he first frees the equation from all encumbrances, and reduces it to its simplest terms. So simplify the problem of life, distinguish the necessary and the real.”

Concise book, & even mor
Boris Gregoric
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The most 'dangerous', most trenchant, most American, yet most anti-American of Thoreau's writings. This really can shatter the ways you're thinking and making do in this world of material enslavements…My favorite of his works, as I grow older and none the wiser.

Might come back to expand on some of these musings, this lecture basically is dense with deep, revolutionary ideas, that resonate in 2018 perhaps even more than back in 1854.
Bangquito
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Agreed, bold, still relevant. But i felt like being preached.
K.A. Ashcomb
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Some people have a talent to write and speak about ageless matters (I would have liked to write truths, but the truth is such a strong word and how can I tell now what holds true tomorrow,) and Henry David Thoreau is one of them. What he wrote in Life Without Principle holds true for many parts today. The prose might have changed, and the examples might have a new appearance, but behind it all is the same principle. If I had to summarize the essay in one sentence, it would be this: don't live yo ...more
Cynda
Review to Follow.
Sunita
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Resonates rare determination, very alluring yet easy to identify with -- "This world is a place of business. What an infinite bustle!... It interrupts my dreams. There is no sabbath. It would be glorious to see mankind at leisure for once. It is nothing but work, work, work. I cannot easily buy a blank-book to write thoughts in; they are commonly ruled for dollars and cents.... If a man was tossed out of a window when an infant, and so made a cripple for life, or scared out of his wits by the In ...more
Luis Francisco Contreras
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
"We do not worship truth, but the reflection of truth; because w are warped and narrowed by an exclusive devotion to trade and commerce...which are the means and not the end"

"We must endeavor how to make a living not merely holiest and honorable, but altogether inviting and glorious; for if getting a living is not so, then living is not"

If an apple a day keeps the doctor away, then a daily page of Thoreau or Emerson will flush the consumer out of your system.

Bob Jones
"In proportion as our inward life fails, we go more constantly and desperately to the post-office. You may depend on it, that the poor fellow who walks away with the greatest number of letters, proud of his extensive correspondence, has not heard from himself this long while." p. 14

"The chief want, in every State that I have been into, was a high and earnest purpose in its inhabitants." p. 22
Darius Liddell
I don't write long reviews, but if you are interested in all in independence of spirit and principle, I highly recommend this -- as, it seems to me, it distills much of what Thoreau is remembered for. ...more
Dina Rahajaharison
'Don't cheat yourself by working primarily for a paycheck.' ...more
Bob
May 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
... includes an unforgettable dismembering of "news culture" ...more
Mason Frierson
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it

His wide-ranging essay also decries the country’s narrow f
Lars Reijnen
May 15, 2020 rated it liked it
His stiffest, most Puritan piece. Seems to have been written in one of Thoreau's self-righteous moods, not very enjoyable. As Richardson argues, the humor of Walden is missing. There are some gems, though:

'Thus men will lie on their backs, talking about the fall of man, and never make an effort to get up.'
'There is no more fatal blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of his life getting his living. All great enterprises are self-supporting.'
Alex Gordon
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this is a classic... so many quotables... reads like poetry. Probably a little biased because I love Thoreau but I could read this particular book again and again... deep and poetic, the way i like it. :)

Also, many parallels with Christ centered books like Tozer's "the Pursuit of God" when he urges the reader to make time for quiet mindfulness, etc
Amy
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful piece and an important one in which Thoreau cautions in getting too involved with frivolity. He urged people to read the great books (this theme is mentioned throughout several of his pieces) to not engage in gossip. It was a pleading to think for oneself, to go outside and study nature. A lot of valuable life lessons here.
Brian
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
40 pages or whatever and I just vaguely have an idea of what the guy was talking about. The man was very abstract. But what I took away from it sounded nice and worth emulating, i.e. to put in your mind what really matters and thereby make the most of it.

Probably more like a 2.5, just sounded so muddled, geez.
Jenny
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maitrei J
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The text is very profound. The journey is mesmerizing, eye-opening and breathtaking. It should be made part of the curriculum everywhere. Our kids should have a fair idea of how should they define success and achievement. A classic satire on progress and civilization.
Mark Goodson
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my first time teaching Life Without Principle. I will teach it again.

Thoreau is startlingly relevant. If you overlay his discussion of working merely for wages onto students studying only for grades, you've got a ripe classroom discussion going.
Sawira Sylvaine
Jun 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some parts I liked more than others, but overall is a book worth reading. Thoreau is not for everybody because of how we saw life. Im glad someone like him existed on this world and reading his world it was like founding a friend, soul alike we are.
Kayla
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This definitely makes you think. A lot about why we do stuff
Is it just for money or is it for the love of what we are doing
Stacie
A why-to on living a life rather than making a living.
David
May 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A grain of gold will gild a great surface, but not so much as a grain of wisdom.
Armel Gaulme
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wish I was H. D. Thoreau
Savas Kopidis
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional reading. A book from 1800 with so many insights for our times and life in the planet.
Heike Eberhard
Feb 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good, interesting and thought provoking. Liked his interpretation of paid work vs valuable work. A little short.
Collin Ouellette
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring. Simply genius. Supports my philosophy that wealth rarely brings happiness. "Money can't buy back
Your youth when you're old
A friend when your lonely
Or a love thats grown cold
The wealthiest man is a pauper at times"

• Nature
  • Los llanos
  • Las primas
  • Todas nuestras maldiciones se cumplieron
  • Ornamento
  • La débil mental
  • Self-Reliance
  • Todo nos sale bien
  • Biblioteca bizarra
  • El nadador en el mar secreto
  • No es un río
  • Tengo miedo torero
  • Thoreau, el salvaje
Henry David Thoreau (born David Henry Thoreau) was an American author, naturalist, transcendentalist, tax resister, development critic, philosopher, and abolitionist who is best known for Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings, and his essay, Civil Disobedience, an argument for individual resistance to civil government in moral opposition to an unjust state.

Thoreau's books