Start by marking “Takedown (Star Trek: The Next Generation)” as Want to Read:
Takedown (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Takedown

(Star Trek: The Next Generation)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  600 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
An all-new novel of Star Trek: The Next Generation—one of the most popular Star Trek series of all-time, featuring the adventures of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise!

When renegade Federation starships begin wreaking destruction across the Alpha Quadrant, Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise are shocked to discover that
Mass Market Paperback, 353 pages
Published January 27th 2015 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Takedown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Takedown

Alejandro
One of the best Star Trek novels ever! An instant classic!

READER’S LOG

The best way to escape a bad day was to start the next.

I have been lucky to read previous material by John Jackson Miller, the author, as he put it, published in another galaxy, that I enjoyed a lot, and I was able too to read his first step into the Final Frontier with a short story published some months ago that I think it was excellent.

And now, I am totally astonished about this great book that it deserves to be side-
Jimyanni
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
There wasn't really a whole lot of meat to this book; it wasn't one of those Star Trek books that makes you think, or that is so riveting that you'll rave about it to anyone who will listen. But it was definitely a fun read if you enjoy the genre, and if you don't, why are you reading this review? The characters were handled well, the pacing was good, the plot more or less held together (no worse than most, anyway) an in general, it was just a good, solid example of the genre.
Krista D.
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
I didn't enjoyed this nearly as much as I wanted to. I liked having the combination of Ezri and Riker working together and as opponents, but I really struggled. I found the descriptions heavy and often unnecessary, and the interaction between the characters to be very stiff and robotic.
Steve
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I first found this a little worrying, at least based on what was happening to one of my favourite characters in the canon, but when the big bad was revealed, I was relieved, since it meant things would work out. The action did pick up nicely, and thinking through the consequences was fascinating, and I loved how the author managed to tie in multiple episodes from the TV series as well as into the greater tapestry that has grown in the book relaunch.
Danny Smith
Aug 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-trek-tng
I read this book coming off both the Typhon Pact and The Fall story arcs...I was looking forward to this book, as I love the Aventine and her crew. I was extremely disappointed. This author is not one of the normal Star Trek authors, and writes these characters as though he's not only never read the other books, but has never seen more than a few episodes of the shows. Captain Picard, for example, is very specific in the way he speaks and acts, and you could've replaced him in this novel with an ...more
Carlissa
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
Although the story is good, I had a very hard time getting into this book. It took me forever to finish because I would read a couple chapters, then put it down to read something else, them come back to it only to put it down again after a few more chapters. After I got through the first half of the book, I started to like it and was able to finish it rather quickly. I'm not sure if it was the author's writing style or just that the first half of the story was rather confusing. 8 different speci ...more
Sean Randall
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I struggled to click with the writing style a little. Clicking combadges stuck out (you don’t click them. Really) and it was evident that Miller is new to the genre.

Still, for the first time Post nemesis, I felt as if I was reading something I’d like to see onscreen, the sort of story that would’ve fit well into a feature-length episode. I enjoyed it for that, even if the story was already done on television and little new was added. It was a solid, episodic adventure for the continuing voyages.
Dan
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek, tng
A fun and exciting entry into the post-The Fall continuity of Trek novels. It was great to see the continuity touchstones that John Jackson Miller used to craft this story, including the reintroduction of a species from TNG that I've always been curious about (I won't include that particular spoiler here as I feel it guts the story to know it in advance). A definite improvement over Miller's previous foray into Trek literature, and hopefully a portent of many more great stories to come!

Full revi
Mark Leaming
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good read. As a nitpicker I have to give a shout out to the editor who let Wolf 357 pass as the location of the battle against The Borg Cube. Seriously how many real Star Trek fans don't know it was Wolf 359?
Brian
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not good.
reherrma
Wieder eine omnipotente Macht in Star Trek Universum...
Admiral Riker wird zu einer Konferenz zwischen der Förderation und dem Typhon Pact zu der "Fernen Botschaft" gerufen. Als er sie betritt kommt er und die anderen Konferenzteilnehmer verändert wieder heraus, sie beschaffen sich schnelle Raumschiffe (Riker ruft die Aventine, das schnellste Schiff der Sternenflotte under Captain Dax, und starten einen Kriegszug gegen verschiedene Kommunikationseinrichtungen der Sternenflotte und ihrer Mitgliede
Mrklingon
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Confusing, but in a good way!

There's a mystery, with Riker and seven other diplomats going off the rails. Why? How? Is it real, is her crazy or... And who is making him review it all?

I was satisfied with the solution, even more when I realized the backstory came from TV episodes, not the novels as I assumed.
Pamela L Lesemann
Good yarn

Interesting story. Good to see the expanded universe thriving. Riker is a fun Admiral. Looking forward to more good stories.
Jose Rosales
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked it

I liked it...I hate the method of review it makes me write more than i want to. I liked the book that's all you need to know
Stefanie
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it

A thoroughly enjoyable story. I really enjoy a good crossover between series.
The only thing I didn't like were the few chapter fom the romulan's pov, because I just didn't care.
Judith Paterson
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A new writer for Trek books, to me anyway. A good read and interesting story.
Ceremony
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ziemlich geil und schön 'alte bekannte' aus tng wieder in einem roman zu finden 😬😬😬
Jamie
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting novel.
John Yelverton
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a nice little "Star Trek" story that the fans should enjoy. The conflict, pacing and resolution are just as would happen on a typical television episode.
Tyrone Wilson
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read. Nice story line.
Christopher Lutz
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun story that works well as a standalone adventure. A great Star Trek style mystery that’s probably in my top ten Trek novels.
Maria Whitehorn
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story

I love how titan keeps circling back to unresolved issues from TNG. It’s refreshing to get closure 25 years later
Stephen
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’ve always enjoyed Star Trek, but I’ve never gotten into the books. For me, Star Trek was first and foremost a TV show that also had some movies. However, I do love a good book, and as a fan of John Jackson Miller’s previous work, I wanted to give Takedown a try. It was a bit of a gamble, but in this case it paid off. From space battles to squabbling diplomats and unraveling mysteries, Takedown is a lot of fun.

“Let me get this straight. You’re telling me all this may have begun at a peace confe
Bookreader1972
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Star Trek readers
4 Stars.
Read a library copy.
Good Next Gen Star trek book. Knowing some of what happened in recent books helps, but is not as necessary as remembering a season 4 episode called "The Nth Degree".
Enjoyed it lots.
Daniela Walch
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Zunächst hat es etwas langweilig angefangen. Erst nach ca. einem Drittel konnte mich die Geschichte fesseln, als Picard ins Spiel eingestiegen ist und ich als Leser, zusammen mit ihm, hinter das komische Verhalten von Riker gekommen bin. Ab da hat es richtig Spaß gemacht.

Vollständige Rezension auf meinem Blog unter http://buchvogel.blogspot.de/2017/03/...
Matt  Hutson
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Hey everyone and thanks for coming to BookMattic. This week's Thrilling Thursday Book Review is yet another Star Trek book that I hope all you Trekkies out there will enjoy. Get ready for 'Takedown'!

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Takedown by John Jackson Miller

BookMattic's Rating: 3/5
Goodreads' Rating: 3.88/5

"Wars begin when you will, but they
do not end when you please."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

Reviewer's Log
Stardate: 70363

When I first picked this book up at the bookstore, I was wondering if it woul
Bryce
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
The newest edition to the Star Trek Relaunch universe, Star Trek: Takedown, by John Jackson Miller, is an exciting story that features the crews of the USS Enterprise, the USS Titan, and the USS Aventine.

While the crews of the Aventine, Titan, and Enterprise have featured prominently in the Relaunch universe, the TNG and Aventine crews really share the spotlight here. Titan's crew, will return in Star Trek: Sight Unseen, written by Star Trek Titan's regular author, James Swallow, due out in Octo
Paul Lunger
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The debut Star Trek novel for John Jackson Miller, "Takedown", starts off with a simple idea & turns it into one of the better uses of a race not seen in a very long time. The book for the most part is a frame story where we find Admiral Riker in some sort of room with Simus (whose identity isn't revealed until nearly the very end) witnessing the destruction of the Corvus Beacon a remote communications array something he ordered the Aventine to do. From there, we travel 3 weeks into the past ...more
Gerhard
Sep 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
My first Star Trek novel. Miller does a credible job of translating this particular cinematic/telly franchise. Granted it is more socio-politically nuanced than Star Wars, which is probably why it is a much better novel than his own A New Dawn.

The characters are all credible and fairly well-rounded; I was quite surprised at the amount of humour as well and the sub-textual critique of the bureaucracy (and hence inflexibility) of Starfleet.

What I found particularly intriguing is how Miller uses th
Ian Williams
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is the first Star Trek book I've read, even though I've been a fan since a young age. For some reason I never got around to trying one. Well, I'm glad i did as this was highly entertaining.
Being amongst old favourites of the TV shows was a real treat. I could hear their voices all through the story, particularly Riker's, which has always been a strong one. Only occasionally did I feel a character was saying something in a way that possibly didn't match that voice I
Goodreads Librari...: Edits for "Takedown" 2 16 Jul 31, 2015 07:47AM
  • Armageddon's Arrow (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Ceremony of Losses (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Light Fantastic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • Uncertain Logic (Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation #3)
  • Acts of Contrition (Star Trek: Voyager)
John Jackson Miller has spent a lifetime immersed in the worlds of fantasy and science fiction. He's known for his Star Wars work, including Star Wars: Knight Errant, his national bestselling novel from Del Rey; Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, his e-book series with more than a million downloads; and his long-running Knights of the Old Republic comics series. His Overdraft: The Orion Offensive ...more

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
“Starships are fun to fly around in, but they’re no place to entertain.” 0 likes
“A good politician always knew which way the winds were blowing: a better politician made the weather himself.” 0 likes