Start by marking “100 Things Every Homeowner Must Know: How to save money, solve problems, and improve your home.” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  151 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The Family Handyman's 100 Things Every Homeowner Must Know gives you the knowledge you need to be a better homeowner. You'll make informed decisions, avoid frustrations and save thousands over the life of your home. Here's just a small sample of what's inside:
The smartest thing you can do before going on vacation
Push a button and save $100
Be ready for any natural disaster
Published April 7th 2015 by Reader's Digest (first published April 6th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Things Every Homeowner Must Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Things Every Homeowner Must Know

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of 100 Things Every Homeowner Must Know: How to save money, solve problems, and improve your home.
Jessica
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lots of great information - probably a book best to purchase for at-home use!

consult for flooring and painting tips. also, questions to ask your roofer

Pop Sugar’s 2015 Reading Challenge - A book with a number in the title
Sara
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Some good tips, but either way to basic - just a "headline" with no substance, or way beyond my willingness to tackle (they don't need to worry about me falling off my roof). It IS from the Family Handyman, to be fair.
Pam
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent tips!
David Solis
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm currently taking steps to purchasing a home, and I never like to go into anything blind or ignorant. I don't like too many surprises and while I didn't expect to become an expert on homeownership after one single book, this book in particular makes me very informed about the fundamentals of homeownership and the maintenance involved in it. Like everything, knowing is half the battle, and this book made me very aware of so many little details I've overlooked as a kid and as a tenant. I didn't ...more
Heidi J.
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homemaking
I wish I had gotten something like this the year we bought our house! There were so many helpful tips and reminders and suggestions for fixing problems. Some of them I already knew-- after a decade of owning a home I've had to cope with a slew of maintenance stuff already--but there were enough new-to-me topics to make this book easily worth my time and money. (It came in handy right off the bat, in fact, helping us to decide whether to call a repair guy for our broken water heater or buy ...more
Alex Caravaggio
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was full of money-saving tips and tricks when it comes to owning a home. There were a lot of things I had never even considered before like the purpose of the trap for drains and different types of heating/air conditioning systems. I liked how the advice came across as very genuine like people had made certain mistakes before, and by learning from them we can save a headache or two. I chuckled at two sections - frozen pipes and mice - because I have had problems with both before that ...more
Vinod Kurup
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Perfect book to check out from the library. Found a few tips that were useful, but things were either too basic or not detailed enough for me to want to buy it. Still looking for a good book to have at home...
Kirby
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, nonfiction
I am only slightly more than halfway through this book. How I wish I had it when I became a homeowner!
Heidi Hobson
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've already used this book to fix what I thought was a permanent issue with an exterior door! I checked it out from the library, but will probably purchase a copy to keep.
Seth Heronemus
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good explanations and a good resource.
Rase McCray
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a useful book! I learned so, so, so, so much from this.
Jamie
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In an effort to not be one of those wives who relies solely on her handy husband, I wanted to learn about the workings of our house and how to keep its value with improvements this year. So I hopped over to the library and found this beginner's guide to understanding your home.

This book is excellent from cover to cover! If you're already one of those handy people, this is still relevant for a refresher and some new tips. My husband read over a few pages and said, "There's great stuff in here!"
Jen
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dnf
Wanted to finish, but I can't keep this book away from the library forever. More useful for a reference guide as things go wrong in the home, versus reading it at once and hoping you'll retain the info later. Still very well done and easy to follow. Maybe not that good as a library book, but good to peruse in the library, then buy for the home collection later.
Lynda
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Super helpful with step-by-step instructions and full color photos
William

• The Sun Down Motel
  • Rick Steves' France 2014
  • Canal du Midi A World Heritage Site: Travel guide Canal du Midi - 2018
  • A Practical Guide for European Canal Boat Charters
  • Dog Man: Lord of the Fleas (Dog Man, #5)
  • Renovation
  • Chasing the Dime
  • Kill Me If You Can
  • Burn (Michael Bennett, #7)
  • London Bridges (Alex Cross, #10)
  • Family Handyman Trade Secrets: Fix Your Home Like a Pro!
  • How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships
  • The Nature Fix: Why Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative
  • A Study in Emerald
  • We Are (Not) Friends
  • Limitless: How to Ignore Everybody, Carve your Own Path, and Live Your Best Life