Start by marking “More than Happy: The Wisdom of Amish Parenting” as Want to Read:
More than Happy: The Wisdom of Amish Parenting

More than Happy: The Wisdom of Amish Parenting

In the tradition of Bringing Up Bebe and Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, an in-depth look at the practices and principles of Amish parents and how they raise children who are self-sufficient, hard-working, and remarkably happy.

The more time Serena Miller spent in Holmes County, Ohio, doing research for her popular Amish novels, the more she began to notice something—Amish
Published February 3rd 2015 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about More than Happy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More than Happy

steph
A excerpt from this book:

My husband and I were talking with some Amish fathers recently about the role of discipline and hard work in raising Amish children. My husband had a question for the men. "As fathers, what is your dream for your children?"

All three men took time to ponder this. As they thought this through, I rolled through various possible answers around in my mind. How would most Englisch parents respond? Would they say they dream of happiness for their children? Good health? A good e
Jeanie
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads-win
What is the fascination with the life of the Amish? With so many best seller fiction novels on the lives of the Amish and movies, we have an attraction. Best-selling author Serena Miller gives her readers a look at the lives of the Amish in the raising of their families and their life style.

Done in six parts you get a better understanding and more of an appreciation of the values of the Amish. Each part ends with Amish parenting tips for the non-Amish.

Part one Family- From how do new mothers t
Joan Concilio
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction-read
Interestingly, I have what in many ways is a very different parenting view from most Amish families I know, yet I found many themes in common regarding intentionality and lifelong learning. Definitely made me think.
Charlotte
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Someone told me this week I should have lived in the 60's, but I felt kind of amish as I read this. I agree with and use almost all of the parenting methods they use (except the paddle and shunning). So I liked this book.
Brie
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really, really enjoyed this book. The way of the Amish life is fascinating and I believe we have a lot we could learn from them. They are a humble people so this book did not once come off as pretentious or "our way is the best way"…for the Amish, this is just THE way they live, the way they were brought up, and the way they continue to bring up next generations. I'd be lying if I said there weren't times while reading this book where I wished I was Amish. I know the grass is never greener on ...more
Kristine Murray
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very intriguing!!! I suppose Amish are easier to study than other groups because 1) they stand out so much and 2) they are geographically grouped close together. I am sure that many non-Amish parents are doing some of these things already, but it is not as noticeable, as they are not in a "petri dish" to be studied.

I was struck by the similarities of these parenting ideas to "THE FAMILY: A PROCLAMATION TO THE WORLD" by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Both focus on strong marriag
Travis Bow
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-audio
An interesting book about the way the Amish live, with a focus on how that way of life affects children. Does a pretty good job of not idolizing the Amish and giving some practical ways that principles like being involved with extended family, encouraging work ethic by making a child a contributor to what the family needs to accomplish, being an example to children of charity and forgiveness, limiting the extent and quality of TV time and electronics usage, and focusing more on raising children ...more
Melissa
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-books
Really interesting read! There were so many poignant ideas shared--I would love for my children to grow up to be MORE than happy, to care about others and community, to value work and a job well done.

I knocked off a star for author Serena Miller's tone throughout the book. I've really enjoyed some of her fiction, but I found all of her personal asides in this book distracting (and a bit holier than thou). I'm sure she didn't mean to come off that way, but I did find myself skimming several secti
Becky
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book! It is packed full of real life stories and examples and was esp intriguing to me bc she did her research in an area that is close to my heart. Not a how-to book but it challenged me to think about my parenting, priorities, how I spend my time, and the importance of building community esp within the church. I think about many of the concepts as I am parenting my own children. It's a inspirational and interesting read.
Kelly
Our family visits Amish country about twice a year. I picked up this book one one of last years trips. Like many, I'm fascinated with the Amish way of life and especially as a parent, with Amish parenting. The book has sat on my shelf for a while and recently, during some days of dealing with pre-teen angst from our son, I thought maybe this book could give me some tips. I needed a refreshing look at parenting.

I took away so many valuable nuggets and pieces of advice from this book! I certainly
Kristin Gilman
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. The author had noticed that Amish children are better behaved in public than other children and decides to research why. She tells all these stories about her Amish friends and it paints a beautiful picture of the Amish life. They don't have all the distractions that normal Americans have like television. Seriously, after reading this book my family went a week with no tv. Instead we played board games and read books and had family time. Even now, a couple of months later we've ...more
Diane Busch
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was fascinating and enlightening. I checked it out from library because it sounded interesting and I wanted to peruse it. My mother lives in Holmes County where this book was written and I visit her often so I wanted to learn more about the Amish who live there. I didn’t plan on reading the entire book because my children are grown and I don’t need parenting advice anymore. But one page led to another and I couldn’t put it down. The author does a great job of letting us enter into the ...more
Jen
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Maryalene
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an interesting peek into Amish culture, but if you're looking for a parenting book, this isn't it. While there are some tips interspersed at the end of the chapters, it is really more about how the Amish lifestyle and faith fosters tight-knit families and communities. I don't think that is something that can be easily replicated by non-Amish families.

The one quibble I have with the author is the broad brush she used to paint "Englisch" families. As the book progressed, it felt like she
Mariellen
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There’s no guidebook to parenting. You just figure it out as you go. Every family and every child is different and you have to learn to roll with it. However, I enjoy reading different cultures take on parenting. This book was fascinating and had great parenting advice. One of the main differences in “Englisch” parenting and Amish is that the Amish aren’t concerned with making their children happy. They concentrate on helping their children grow into people of value. Encouraging integrity and co ...more
Sierra Charlesworth
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness! I LOVED this book. This was not something that I would have chosen on my own, so I am happy we read it for book Club. I may change my thoughts after discussion this week, but I thought this book was incredibly fascinating. I thought there were so many helpful and great ideas. I don't believe you have to be Amish to follow a lot of their parenting ways and basic lifestyles. I genuinely want to take so many of their ideologies into my future parenting. Great book.
Dragana Dekic
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let be Amish for a week
We don’t have to convert to Amish for a life long, but we could be Amish maybe for a week. Go somewhere in nature far from modern technology, listen to the sound of silence, and spend time with each other without common technological distractions. Living like an Amish for a week sounds like a real challenge for the modern family. Let me know if you try it.

Full review:
Aubrey
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Some interesting insights. I found a lot of similarities to Mormonism in things that are important- family, community, hard work, service to those in need. The author was a non-Amish woman who lives in Ohio and has Amish friends. I feel she was reluctant to say anything negative about the Amish, and I wish this book was more research-based instead of anecdotal. Still, I learned a lot.
Kami S
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! Besides the many good parenting tips, most of which I completely agree, it was a thoroughly enjoyable read. I plan on purchasing my own copy, to reread from time to time.
Roslyn
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Out of Bringing Up Bebe, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, There's No Such Thing as Bad Weather, Secrets of Mormon Parenting, and this one, this one was my favorite. A light, breezy read like the others, but very interesting nonetheless.
Becky
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books-read
Well this was worth reading. Do many great ideas to think about and try on our family. Amish people are very Christian and have a lot of charity in their hearts and actions. Family is so important and I wang that in my life too, plus electricity do I’m nog converting only adapting.
Clarissa
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I agreed with about 90% of this book. I think that the author romanticized the Amish life. Having read a lot on parenting, I don't believe in rewarding "good" behavior, spanking, threats or the requirement of religion to raise good humans.
Brillante Self
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I just didn't love this. I felt like it generalized all "Enlgisch" folk in to one category, as all being a certain way--it just made me feel uncomfortable. The writing was boring and slow. Just a pretty "meh" book.
Betsy
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

This book is packed with practical parenting advice, along with insight into Amish culture. It was also a very enjoyable and interesting read.
Stasia Walker
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick read. I liked this book on the Amish and parenting. Wasn’t revolutionary but had some good nuggets.
Kate
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great read. Quick to finish the book.
Kelly Rae
After growing up in a community with a fairly large Amish population - I am always interested in their lifestyle. Unfortunately I found this book boring.
Vanessa Prinz
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book gave me some interesting things to think about in parenting- in one word, simplify!
Sylvia
I loved this book!! Great story!! It was interesting to learn how the amish raise their children!!
Miranda
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast read and very interesting!
« previous 1 3 next »

• On Becoming Childwise: Parenting Your Child from 3 to 7 Years
  • How to Raise Kind Kids: And Get Respect, Gratitude, and a Happier Family in the Bargain
  • Beyond Bath Time: Embracing Motherhood as a Sacred Role (True Woman)
  • For the Family's Sake
  • Fit to Burst: Abundance, Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood
  • Into the Minds of Babes: How Screen Time Affects Children From Birth to Age Five
  • Parent Hacks: 134 Genius Shortcuts for Life with Kids
  • My Practices of Mothering: the things I actually do to enjoy mothering tinies
  • Lactivism: How Feminists and Fundamentalists, Hippies and Yuppies, and Physicians and Politicians Made Breastfeeding Big Business and Bad Policy
  • Betsy Was a Junior / Betsy and Joe (Betsy-Tacy #7-8)
  • Snow Day: Heart of the Storm\Seeing Red\Land's End
  • Big Truths for Little Kids
  • Scratching the Horizon: A Surfing Life
  • Shooting Stars: My Unexpected Life Photographing Hollywood's Most Famous
  • The Newbie's Guide to Positive Parenting
  • Caught Up in a Story: Fostering a Storyformed Life of Great Books & Imagination with Your Children
  • The Happiest Mommy You Know: Why Putting Your Kids First is the Last Thing You Should Do
  • A Family of Readers: The Book Lover's Guide to Children's and Young Adult Literature
I live only a few miles from a flourishing Amish community and am blessed to count many Old Order Amish as friends. Love Finds You In Sugarcreek, Ohio is a natural outgrowth of my on-going fascination with these valiant, flawed people who struggle to live their lives according to their interpretation of the Bible. Once, when I apologized for asking so many questions while researching this book, an ...more
“Amish culture is built around preserving and protecting the family unit.” 1 likes