Start by marking “Starting from Scratch: Memoirs of a Wandering Cook” as Want to Read:
Starting from Scratch: Memoirs of a Wandering Cook

Starting from Scratch: Memoirs of a Wandering Cook

A captivating memoir from a cook who's traveled across the globe cooking, tasting, and enjoying good food.

Patty Kirk has always loved food: eating it, cooking it, sharing it, talking about it. At six, she scrambled the last of the family's vacation provisions over the camp fire and concocted a delicacy-eggs with bacon and onions. Overnight she became the family cook and di
Published January 1st 2008 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Starting from Scratch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starting from Scratch

TAMMY CUEVAS
Have you ever been happily wandering through the bookstore when, suddenly, a book you have never heard of, written by an author you have never heard of, catches your eye and you know you have to have it? This is how "Starting from Scratch" came to be mine. This book, part memoir/part cookbook, has been one of the most enjoyable reads I've experienced in a long time. I couldn't put it down, yet I wanted to stop and savor it like a good meal.

The way the author remembers and shares her food memori
Sheryl Tribble
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Had a hard time relating to this author. In one sense I understood her longings and yearnings for a place she could live in peace and feel understood -- but that you could find that place via travel, particularly via travel to other countries, never even remotely crossed my mind. At one point she says that she struggles to fast from food, and the longest she's gone is two days -- I once "fasted" when I simply forgot to eat for four days (I was living alone and working on a project...).

Basically
Kandis Aggen
Jun 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Read this for my bookclub, otherwise may not have read it. But that's why I love bookclub! This was not a page turner, but a nice change from my regular selections. The recipes are fun and we will be trying some at our bookclub review - should be fun. Patty has a fun way of looking at life through food.
Heidi
Jan 12, 2011 rated it liked it
The whole time I was reading, I kept wishing that my mother or grandmother had written a book like this- a chronicle of their whole lives' worth of food, along with recipes. Such a treasure that would be!
Diane
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love to read about cooking and an author's personal history with -- and approach to -- food. This book's lovely; bought myself a copy and mailed one to my favorite aunt at the same time.
Kimberly
May 01, 2019
Priscilla
is currently reading it
May 16, 2012
Patty Kirk is the author of "Confessions of an Amateur Believer" and subsequent books on topics ranging from food memoir to her lifelong struggle to sense God’s presence. Raised in California and Connecticut, she spent her early adult years abroad and now lives on a farm in Oklahoma and teaches writing just across the Arkansas state-line at John Brown University, where she is Associate Professor o ...more