Start by marking “Luckiest Girl Alive” as Want to Read:
Luckiest Girl Alive

Read Book

Luckiest Girl Alive

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  115,198 Ratings  ·  10,510 Reviews
HER PERFECT LIFE IS A PERFECT LIE.

As a teenager at the prestigious Bradley School, Ani FaNelli endured a shocking, public humiliation that left her desperate to reinvent herself. Now, with a glamorous job, expensive wardrobe, and handsome blue blood fiancé, she’s this close to living the perfect life she’s worked so hard to achieve.

But Ani has a secret.

There’s something el
Published May 12th 2015 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Luckiest Girl Alive, please sign up.
Joy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Nancy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Emily May
May 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
When a book becomes one of the most-read books of the week/month on Goodreads but maintains a barely respectable average rating of 3.6, there are usually one of two reasons for it:

1) The book is an objectively well-written, pretentious masterpiece that everyone thinks they should read but no one really likes.

Or 2) Some marketing guru thought it would be a good idea to - wrongly - pitch the book as the next Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Gone Girl... etc.

In this case, it's the second reason. Luckie
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
“She didn’t have anything in her teeth.”

I took my time leaning over the table, slurped my wine from the rim to spare my white jeans. Never fuck with a rich white bitch and her white jeans. “Not in her teeth. Up her ass, on the other hand . . .”

Luke’s laugh was the standing ovation. He shook his head, impressed. “You can be pretty vicious, you know?”
This book was sold with a blurb as being "for fans of Gone Girl." With all due respect, there is no comparison. It is more The Devil Meets Prada or
karen
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-from-work
You only scream when you're finally safe.

this book is kind of like if the lifetime channel exploded, causing lifetime confetti to go everywhere.

but i don't think that's a bad thing.

a lot of people have had really strong negative reactions to this book, but since this seems to be the year that i like the books everyone hates and hate the books everyone likes, here i am with at least one thumb up.

this book is far from perfect, and it's got a lot of things in it that people who read less clinically
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Record breaking one star!

But remember, when a book has controversial, disagreeing ratings, often it’s something to look
forward to. (My way of promoting the book despite myself.)

I am a very principled reader in such a way that I stick to my no dnf rule. It has been very easy to uphold this attitude on reading because of all the books I’ve read, I could only count with my fingers those that I wanted to dnf. This book though managed to make me question my stubborn principle.

But because I’m
Julie
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll is a 2015 Simon & Schuster publication.

When this book was first released and making the rounds on Goodreads, the cover was so enticing, but the reviews were mixed. I hemmed and hawed over it, unable to decide if I wanted to read it or not. But, as time passed, and all the hype died down, I forgot all about this book. But, when I noticed this author had a new release coming up soon, I thought I’d go back and give this book a second look. The reviews were s
Raeleen Lemay
I WAS TRICKED. With all the comparisons this has received to Gillian Flynn's books, I was expecting a well-written, twisted thriller. What I got was writing filled with overwrought similes (seriously... Way too many damn similes) and horrible, boring characters. And not horrible in the way that you love how horrible they are, but just... Uninteresting. The characters felt more like ridiculous caricatures, and I couldn't stand any of them.

Also, the plot was basically nothingness until the last t
Rincey
Aug 07, 2015 marked it as dnf
Got to the halfway mark, realized I didn't really feel like reading about rich, white people problems. Therefore, DNF.
Jennifer Masterson
Jun 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
I tried to get into this book. I truly did, but couldn't stand the authors writing style or the main character.
Larry H
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Somewhere between 3 and 3.5 stars.

Well, I think it had been a few days since I saw a book compared to Gone Girl so thankfully we didn't lose a step. Truthfully, though, other than the fact that both books have the word "Girl" in their title, I don't know what they have in common, so maybe someone else can explain the need to compare the two.

Ani FaNelli finally has it all. She's engaged to a gorgeous, wealthy man from a notable family. He makes her feel safe and secure, and allows her to buy th
Carol
2.5 Stars

Whew! LUCKIEST GIRL ALIVE turned out to be a very long and tedious read for me that I really struggled to finish.

In a nutshell, this story is about a damaged, but fortunate 28 year old woman (with a secret past) who is in the process of planning her wedding soon to be part of a very affluent family, while at the same time, ruminating about an upcoming documentary depicting a disastrous and shocking time in her young 14 year old life.

I am sorry to say that despite the sensitive and horri

Theresa
Update: Now available in paperback. YAY!

"Luckiest Girl Alive" by Jessica Knoll was one of my favorite novels I read last year. The book's protagonist, Ani might come off as alluring and confident to her fiancée, Luke and to her flashy co-workers, but underneath her glossy sheen is a woman internally wrestling with past demons. Even though her personal and professional life is free of conflict; emotionally she is drowning. During Ani's teenage years, she endured a handful of traumas. Now that sh
Bunny 36 books in 31 days is not a bad idea shut up
Hi. Come on in. Have a seat, here's a cup of tea. Now, let me explain to you why you need to pre-order (or, depending on the date you're reading this, go pick up) this book.

First and foremost, please understand that it took me a few times of running through the ARCs on Netgalley before I requested this title. The cover art just didn't do it for me, made me think romance, fluff, air. Not my style. But then I looked a little closer, read the description, popped onto GoodReads to see what was up w
Erin
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review
ARC for review.

I'm famous (well, "famous" is probably strong) for completing nearly every book I start. I can only think of a couple of instances where the book was so bad I didn't finish, seriously, maybe only two or three. So, obviously I end up reading some bad books.

Recently I was having a GoodReads conversation with my friend Amy, who had just stopped reading a book, and I started to rethink my position. Life is short and I currently have nearly nine hundred books on my "to read" list (an
Robb
Definitely 1 star

And I give this without any regrets. Luckiest Girl Alive is one of those novels that tricks you through its promotions (you know how I fucking hate propaganda). Look at those reviews, this is labelled as a psychological thriller and how? Only the last 15% had any hint of suspense. Pfft.

And look how everyone is comparing this to Gillian Flynn. Gillian Flynn. Gone Girl. Amy Dunne!? Ani barely holds a candle to Amy Dunne’s amazing character. Such trickery. I went into this novel ex
Elyse
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 Oh My! I think this is going to be a popular book.
For those who have enjoyed "Gone Girl", "The Good Girl", The "Still Missing" Girl, "The Forgotten Girl", and any other troubled story with the word "GIRL" on its book cover -then get a copy of
"Luckiest Girl Alive", and start reading!

As for me, I'm somewhat "A Confused Girl".
I'm confused about the 'ending' of this story. I'm not sure what 'fully' happened.
Makes you even more interested to read this right?
Heck, it would me! (but I'm not goi
Maria Espadinha
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Voz do Silêncio

O livro que acabei de devorar contém uma verdade camuflada!
Quantas jovens vítimas de crimes sexuais se refugiam no Silêncio, ao invés de erguerem a voz, clamando pela justiça que lhes é devida?!
Seja por medo, pudor, repulsa ou um misto dos três, optam por enterrar segredos devastadores que as marcam ao longo da vida, condicionando-lhes o comportamento.
Vemos jovens alegres e populares transmutadas em sorumbáticas introvertidas, sem entender como nem porquê!?...
Falar implica reco
Wendy Darling
2.5 stars Entertaining, but this one tackles a few too many topics (view spoiler) and doesn't really resolve any of them in a satisfactory manner. Liked the arch narrative voice (even with the over-emphasis on material goods...we get it, she's seeking security) but I think this needed m ...more
Lindsey Rey
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, contemporary
[4.5 Stars]
ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS!!!! Seriously, so good! I had to take off half a star because there is this one scene where the main character asks someone for help and the person says "I'm not qualified to answer that" and walks away and I am not okay with the author writing that scene like that. Other than that, this was amazing!
Triggers Warnings: Depression, Anxiety, Eating Disorders, Bullying, Sexual Assault
☘Misericordia☘  ✺❂❤❣
Exquisitely disfunctional! And there's one hell of a crazy girl portrayed in here! It's Gone Girl all right! This book storyline is entirely disgusting, it's like watching a car crash.
One can easily see why modern guys go gay. I would too if facing life with such a nasty creature.
Frankly speaking, a good psychoanalyst would be soo much needed, both for the happy bride and for the unlucky catch. And for the reader too. This should be made a reading material for psychologists in training. The ill
Nov 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a drag, it had no positive element whatsoever. It was so bad.

From the first few pages I knew I wouldn't like Ani. She was a complete bitch and a half. Honestly all she did was judge others and complain and it drove me insane. The passages about her when she was in school were a little bit better. She wasn't as awful when she was 14. She was young and naïve and she made mistakes but we all do when we are young. It was only towards the end that I started to dislike young TifAni too.
Kassidy
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Woah that was pretty crazy! Such an interesting story.
★★★★
The lingering affects of trauma...that is the theme of this novel. I could go into detail about the parallel storylines, the timeframes, and the relationship dynamics featured here, but it doesn't change the devastating portrait of a woman who grew up broken, unbelieved, invalidated, and judged. It's hard to heal under those circumstances, and the consequences sadly speak for themselves.

Jessica Knoll's debut novel, Luckiest Girl Alive is a character-driven novel that allows readers to get t
Will Byrnes
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
In the ironically titled Luckiest Girl Alive we meet Ani Fanelli, a twenty-something who is all about appearances, which does not seem so much different from who she was as a teenager, when she was all about getting in with the cool kids. Teen-aged Ani goes through some pretty awful experiences, none of them deserved.

After struggling to make it in the big city, after having snagged a gold ring of a handsome, moneyed fiancee and the gold ring of a status career, Ani is busy planning her wedding.
Navidad Thelamour
This novel was a trumped up work packaged and sold as the must-read of summer 2015. Of course, publishing houses are very good at packaging and selling—that’s what they do—but this one must’ve had the PR agent from heaven! When it appeared on the NYT with its fashionable blurb, I instantly reached for it (all hail the power of sales), but upon reading it, I quickly found it to be an awkward collision between The Devil Wears Prada (though quite the lesser, copy-cat sort of version of it) and Colu ...more
Malia
Paige  Bookdragon

I still hate the book and the characters. But I'm willing to admit that I was bitchy and did something that I normally don't do. And that is blaming the victim. Thank you for all the nice people who discussed the book in the comments area. Not everyone who disagrees with you is a troll. ♥
Snotchocheez
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5 cringing stars

Wow, what a hot mess of a novel this was. I honestly considered abandoning ship 40 pages in because I just could not deal with TifAni FaNelli's insufferably shallow and materialistic The Devil Wears Prada privileged demeanor. There seemed no redeeming value whatsoever reading about this woman's life. I won't beleaguer the obvious point: why do they lure in readers with a front page quote from a YA author comparing Jessica Knoll to Gillian Flynn, when there's nothing remotely
Madeline
Apr 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Ani FaNelli has the perfect life. She works for a fashion magazine, is thin and beautiful, has thin and beautiful friends, and once she marries her New York blue-blood fiance, she'll become Ani Harrison and will have gotten everything she wants. Ani's life is a carefully crafted performance - everything she does and says is specifically engineered to project the kind of persona she wants, and hide the person she used to be.

As a teenager, Ani was TifAni FaNelli (does the name make you grate your
Maggie Boyd
May 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
How did this nightmare end up with an average rating of four stars??? Seriously? The plotting was horrible. About the only thing I liked about the book was that I found TifAni (and that name fit her so perfectly - pretentious, stupid, gullible - the name says it all) was an unreliable narrator. Which meant that the ending, where she wants you to believe she wasn't part of what went down, is very likely untrue. It would have been very like TifAni to betray her friends even in those final moments. ...more
Leanne
This was not something I would have picked up on my own thanks to its cheesy cover, so many thanks to the couple of GR friends I have who introduced me to it! It's exactly what I needed after a few lacklustre reads, despite being yet another thriller being compared to Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn should be paid for all of the times someone references her book in order to sell other books. Or maybe she is? I don't know how that works...) At least in this case it's much more warranted.

I liked both sid
Many Book Thoughts 2 24 Jun 10, 2018 01:12PM
The Mystery, Crim...: * October 2017 Group Read Winner - Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll 26 94 Jan 06, 2018 04:07PM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Book about a past crime. [s] 5 145 Nov 06, 2017 04:19PM
Why can I only get one page of discussions? 6 47 Feb 11, 2017 06:14PM
  • Where They Found Her
  • Liars, Inc.
  • The Widow
  • You Should Have Known
  • Invisible City (Rebekah Roberts, #1)
  • A Window Opens
  • Season of Storms
  • The Hopefuls
  • The Memory Box
  • Love All
Preorder THE FAVORITE SISTER (May 15, 2018) here, now!

Jessica Knoll is the author of the instant New York Times Bestseller, LUCKIEST GIRL ALIVE. She has been a senior editor at Cosmopolitan, and the articles editor at SELF. She grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia and graduated from The Shipley School in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, and from Hobart and William Smith Colleges in
More about Jessica Knoll

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $6.99 $1.99
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Moving on doesn’t mean you don’t talk about it. Or hurt about it. It’s always going to hurt,” 36 likes
“All my life, I’ve found it difficult to advocate for myself, to ask for what I want. I fear burdening people so much.” 28 likes