Start by marking “The Woods, Vol. 2: The Swarm” as Want to Read:
The Woods, Vol. 2: The Swarm

The Woods, Vol. 2: The Swarm

(The Woods #2)

An entire high school has been transported to an alien world and must now survive together or die individually.

On October 16, 2013, 437 students, 52 teachers, and 24 additional staff from Bay Point Preparatory High School in suburban Milwaukee, WI vanished without a trace. Countless light years away, far outside the bounds of the charted universe, 513 people find themselve
Published May 12th 2015 by BOOM! Studios (first published March 11th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Woods, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woods, Vol. 2

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was so much better than the first volume! I loved the flashbacks we got. It gave the characters more depth. Excited to see where this story goes in the next volume!
Calista
I liked this and thought it was good, but I also thought the first one was better. It was more focused on the event and it grabbed you more. This was about character development and it does this with flashbacks. I understand the importance of this, but I still thought the 1st volume had more potential. We still know little about the Woods, but we do know more than we did now. There is plenty more to explore

We also know more about crushes and the people. Weird things are happening and I suspect t
Chad
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This volume is a tighter focus on the 6 explorers who left the school. Each issue focuses on one or two characters with a Lost-style flashback to a year ago at the school play. Lots of fantastical, dangerous creatures abound as we slowly learn more about the Woods and what's going on with Adrian. Looking forward to volume 3.
✩ Ashley ✩
3.5 Stars

The first volume took a minute to get into... but it gained my interest in the series. The main issue is my loath of anything reminiscent of Lord of the Flies. Thankfully, I loved the second volume! It focuses on some of the character backgrounds while expanding on their current predicament in “The Woods” not the high school. The illustrations are fantastic and the story is compelling.

Did The Woods inspire Brian K. Vaughan to create Paper Girls or the Duffer Brothers to create Stra
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

This was a great second volume with some twists and turns. We learn about some of the key characters and I really like the interesting direction of the story. Also, the art continues to be incredible.
David Schaafsma
Not feeling it. I loved the premise of this series, that students and staff from Bay Point Preparatory High School in suburban Milwaukee, WI vanish without a trace. They end up together and it's kind of teen horror and sci fi meets Lord of the Flies.

This second volume stops to give us backstories, and dragons, and we see the school before the fateful events. It's opening night of the school play, A Midsummer Night's Dream. It sounds good, right? It has not taken off for me, really. Feels flat.
Licha
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel, series
This volume includes more background on some of the characters. Some felt very cliché, such as the gay romance. When you have a cast of teen characters, this seems like it's almost a given plot line.

This book strikes me as more sci-fi than horror. It's a little too all-over-the-place for me. Debating whether to go on with this series.
Skye Kilaen
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 0-graphic-novels
This was where The Woods started to really grab me. The first volume was fine, and I was interested in the plot enough to check out the second book from the library, but this second volume made me love the characters and fear for them. Particularly Calder's backstory with his no-good brother and the Adrian / Isaac / Ben kinda-triangle. I ended the book with chills, both times I've read it. This series could have been written as a straight-up horror adventure, but Tynion does such a great job sho ...more
DEMI
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
3.75/5

I definitely enjoyed this volume of the Woods a lot more than the first. I really enjoyed getting a deeper look into this new world they have found themselves in. As well as that, I also liked seeing into the characters past (well past year) and getting to know the characters on a more deeper level and understanding more about them. Despite that, I still did feel that disconnect from the characters like I did in the first volume.

Overall, I enjoyed where the plot took us in this book and a
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {and so on}
Picking up where their story left off in The Arrow, the six runaways from a Milwaukee high school suddenly transported to an uncharted moon continue their stumble through the Woods, the stretch of danger-riddled forest surrounding them.

Three of them, Ben, Isaac and Sanami, have been captured by strange, human men and held prisoner.
Meaning it's up to Karen, Calder and Adrian (whose bond with the Arrow, a harbinger of death and mayhem, has taken hold) to save their friends.

"We're going to catch ou
Bexnbookx
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Want to see me talk about books? Check out my Youtube Channel: Bexnbookx

The Woods, Volume 2: The Swarm is a entertaining graphic novel series. With monsters, mystery, and science fiction, it definitely is unique and keeps me thoroughly captivated!

On October 16th 2013, 437 students, 52 teachers, and 24 additional staff from Bay Point Prep High School in suburban Milwaukee, vanished without a trace. Light years away, the 513 people stolen from Earth are deposited in the middle of an ancient, primo
Ryan Provstgaard
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The need to read this series just became even more real!

I loved how the first volume built a lot to build off of in future books but what this book does is back up and explore who these characters are. I perceive this book being the one that sets the tone for the rest or at least the majority of the series. It explains who these students are and why they act the way they do. Creating, I'm sure future growth and room to learn more about themselves.

The balance of real time story telling and flashb
Danielle
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-in-2015
LOVED IT.
I'm enjoying this graphic novel series so much, I love the characters and the friendships (and relationships?)

It's very clear in this volume that they have made the effort to make this a very diverse book, we have a mixture of different races, we have LGBTQ+ characters and an even amount of male and female characters too. Things like this are what gives me a higher respect for books so thank you for that James Tynion IV and Michael Dialynas!

The story of this volume takes the crazines
Jes Reads
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Can this comic literally stop ruining my life. I got zero done at work today because I could not stop reading this. The history of the new place our characters have been transported to just keeps getting more and more interesting.

And the characters y'all. They're complex. Without giving too much away I love to hate a certain relationship with a boy and his brother. I'm also pretty interested in what kind of relationship two of our characters have. Gay rep maybe? We'll just have to see!

So far thi
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)

Eh.

Another 'okay' volume. Truth be told I liked the first arc better than this one. I get what's going on, the first volume throws us into the world and story as well as establishing the random, loose, key pieces. This second volume is pretty much geared towards fleshing out all the characters. There are lots of flashback scenes to give us some history on why people are the way they are. Alongside the flashbacks, the main storyline inches forward and hints at bigger themes ahead.

It's just...eh.
BellaGBear
Very cool to read that this book is slowly changing from a basic run to safe your life story (which was also awesome) to something more. Very curious were this is going.

For the rest love the colouring and artwork in this book.
ashley (saidthestory)
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is very 'Morning Glories Esque' to me and I Really. Really. Like. It!

Can't wait to keep reading!
Valéria.
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Valéria. by: Ondřej Halíř
Shelves: comics
I'm not going to write separate reviews for the first and second volume, I'll give my opinion on them together. So, besides some small things I did not like (that are my personal problem), this was amazing. I want to continue with reading and I want to know what's going to happen next but my bank account says "no way in like the next three months" *crying like a child*. The series started out really good and got better with every issue. Characters are written really good, every one of them is un ...more
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
This is such a strange and compelling series. One of the things that I like most about this series is the coloring used for the illustrations. It is very eye catching and matches the tone that the story lays out. Some of the illustrations are so lovely that I want to rip them out and frame them on the walls. In this volume, there is a lot more character development with back stories of some of the main characters. I like the science-fictiony direction the series is going. I keep wanting to read ...more
Margaret
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love my babies...
Callie Rose Tyler
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This is trying very hard to be a science fiction/fantasy Breakfast Club but it just isn't working for me. The narrative I found most interesting in volume 1, the Lord of the Flies type story taking place in the displaced high school, was abandoned in vol 2.

I just don't find anything interesting about the characters, they feel underdeveloped, which is ironic considering this volume was ALL about fleshing out character's backstories. The problem was that they all still felt very shallow and cliche
Bookishrealm
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Soooo much better than the first volume. I think this world has potential to be extremely creepy and definitely makes me more interested in checking out the rest of the series. It was nice to get know the background of each character and how their personalities affect their present decisions. The artwork is marvelous and I can't wait to get my hands on the next volume.
Nore
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Okay, now I'm interested. Medieval smashed into sci-fi? Weird dragons? Strange technology? I'm in. The first volume was boring, but this one presents more of a world which I find interesting and potentially complex.
Kayla
Volume Two of The Woods picks up just where we left off in the first volume. Space mystery, general teenage angst, the possibility that all will end in death and destruction and more death.

I really liked how this volume expanded on the world we've been shown. Or should I say planet. There is more of an explanation of the relationships between the characters. More backstory. More intrigue. Well, to an extent. For as amazing, expansive, and creative as the world at large is presented here, the ch
Annette Jordan
Excellent

The second volume in this fantastic series does not disappoint, revealing more about the characters pasts while also hinting at the dangers of the mysterious world where they now find themselves. Once again the beautifully vivid colours are a highlight
andrew y
Feb 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
And that's how you crash and burn with your second volume.
Brett
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Piper
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is super weird but in a good way.
Melissa
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
their past and get to learn who they are, and the choices they made and why.

I gave the second volume four out of five stars on Goodreads, but if I was honest I might have given it 4.5 stars. I will admit that the storyline is much better. We do get to see the details of our character’s past and get to understand the fear of the woods from both our main characters as well as the travelers. We also get a better development of the setting, and the dangers that are out there. I still love the color
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Baltimore, Vol. 4: Chapel of Bones
  • Concrete Park Volume 1
  • Doctor Who: The Dalek Project
  • ApocalyptiGirl: An Aria for the End Times
  • The Spire #1 (The Spire, #1)
  • Husbands
  • Copperhead, Vol. 2
  • The Shadow Out of Time
  • Lies in the Dust: A Tale of Remorse from the Salem Witch Trials
  • The Sword of Mali Mani (Bird Boy, #1)
  • Motor Crush, Vol. 2
  • Return to Woodbury (The Walking Dead #8)
Prior to his first professional work, Tynion was a student of Scott Snyder's at Sarah Lawrence College. A few years later, he worked as for Vertigo as Fables editor Shelly Bond's intern. In late 2011, with DC deciding to give Batman (written by Snyder) a back up feature, Tynion was brought in by request of Snyder to script the back ups he had plotted. Tynion would later do the same with the Batman ...more

The Woods (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Woods, Vol. 1: The Arrow