Start by marking “Immaculate” as Want to Read:
Immaculate

Immaculate

Mina is seventeen. A virgin. And pregnant.

Mina is top of her class, girlfriend to the most ambitious guy in school, able to reason and study her way through anything. But when she suddenly finds herself pregnant—despite having never had sex—her orderly world collapses. Almost nobody believes Mina’s claims of virginity. Her father assumes that her boyfriend is responsible;
Published May 26th 2015 by Viking Children's

To ask other readers questions about Immaculate, please sign up.
Elizabeth Burning with curiosity, I just went ahead and checked out the book from the library. So, Elizabeth-from-8-hours-ago, I can answer that question for…moreBurning with curiosity, I just went ahead and checked out the book from the library. So, Elizabeth-from-8-hours-ago, I can answer that question for you! The doctrine of immaculate conception is brought up in chapter 7. While researching her situation, asexually impregnated Mina learns the difference between the immaculate conception of Mary and the virginal conception of Jesus. So that's cleared up for her and the readers fairly early on. Now stop wasting time being a miserable pedant. (less)
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerEnd of Days by Susan Ee
YA Novels of 2015
1,466 books — 8,888 voters
Liars, Inc. by Paula StokesRed Queen by Victoria AveyardAkarnae by Lynette NoniAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
2015 YA Covers
274 books — 522 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“This is the story of a miracle.”

Immaculate's premise is so intriguing that I had to check it out, despite not usually being a fan of religious books or those dealing with teen pregnancy. I first wondered if things were going to be not as they first appear in the blurb, but no, this is exactly what it seems to be: a modern immaculate conception. And it was pretty damn compelling and interesting.

I'm not religious in any sense, but the reason I think this book works is because religion is more
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Literally, my fear whenever I miss my period. Am I the next Mary? goes through my head every time.
Vanessa J.
“There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle.

- Attributed to Albert Einstein

When I stumbled upon this book on Goodreads last year, I was suspicious. The synopsis intrigued me too much, but all I could think was: “This is going to be a freaking retelling of Virgin Mary and Jesus. It's going to be preachy as hell and I'm going to be really angry.”

One of those things is false: It isn't preachy at all. But then... is
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
I should've known that it will be nothing but amazing. Full review to be posted!

description
Lucia
Feb 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-2-stars-read
Immaculate had perfect premise but extremely boring execution. Lesson learned, YA magical realism genre is not for me. And don't even make me start on how shallow, underdeveloped and completely unrealistic characters were. The dialogues were artificial and cringeworthy. Heroine sounded nothing like teenager. Her voice was, in one word, unbelievable.

Writing part aside, there was another thing that completely ruined this book for me. (RANT AHEAD)

Firstly, I got angry when it was implied in all but
Mel
Sep 17, 2014 added it
Mmmm recreation of Virgin Mary in a high school setting?? Conflicted between interested and worry.
TL
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"I didn't know what I really thought or what I really believed about anything anymore. I couldn't separate absolutes from myths, facts from fiction. I couldn't say what was real and what wasn't real. "
---
"Maybe my decision was selfish; maybe it was reckless and self destructive and naive.

But there was no question, not a fraction of a second's consideration: I would have this baby.

I would be a mother. "
---
But at the same time, was it so awful to give someone hope? Wasn't hope sometimes all we nee
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
I was curious about Immaculate from the first time I heard about it. It was a "Waiting on Wednesday" back when I still did those. And I will fully admit to being a little apprehensive because of the potential for it to end up being very religious, which is not really something I like to read.

Alas, I am here to report that it was not only non-preachy, but completely full of amazing characters and amazing, thought provoking messages. Was religion a topic that was in the book? Absolutely, I think
Max Baker
One of my favorite topics to read about is belief. I remember reading Emily May's review of All the Rage and something she said jumped out at me. She said one of her biggest fears was telling the truth and having no one believe her. That got me thinking about belief and what it really means to tell the truth.

Belief, and by extension faith, is one of the reasons I loved this book. Rather than focus on why Mina's baby was special, it focuses on the people around her. The people who shouted hate a
Sky
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it

”Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.”

This is a story of a miracle; a pregnant virgin, to be precise. Immaculate is a thought-provoking and bewitching story about how society reacts to miracles nowadays and the strength required to face them. It explored all the important aspects in life such as sex, identity and belief and basically everything that builds up an individual.

From the blurb you’d probably assume that this is a Mary the Virg
Paige  Bookdragon
Jul 11, 2015 marked it as think-about-it
Blurb is too awesome it's kinda scary...
Drew
4.5

If someone—your girlfriend, wife, best friend, or a random stranger—told you that they were pregnant and a virgin, would you believe them? You'd probably think they were crazy, right?

Well, everyone thinks seventeen-year-old Mina is crazy, because that's just the story she's been telling them. And it's true. Mina is a virgin, and yet one night an old, white-haired woman comes into the pizzeria where Mina works as a waitress and tells her that she is going to have a baby. Of course Mina wonders
nick
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc

Immaculate was one of my most anticipated reads of the year, because of the whole pregnant virgin storyline. I started out liking the book okay mostly because the writing style was very enjoyable. However, I thought the characters were a little flat overall and needed to be fleshed out a little bit more. The main character, Mina, was a decent character, but I didn't feel much of an emotional connection to her. I have to admit that she was a little too accepting of her pregnancy, but at the same
Kayla Edwards
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book makes you think - and not necessarily about religion. I was very intrigued when I read about this one; I was worried it would be overtly sacrilegious or fire-and-brimstone preachy. It was neither. Mina's story toes the line just enough to not fall in either category. Her story reminds us what it truly means to have faith in love, in life, and in each other as well as what happens when we lose that faith. A fast-paced read that I'm so glad I picked up.
Mitchii
Immaculate by Katelyn Detweiler is not about the how’s but rather the result, the after effects of that result & what to do with it. So if you’re interested to read it because you’re too keen to know on how the supposed Immaculate Conception happened then you won’t get that. I didn’t get that. I think the why/how pregnant is not the real focus but more of a device to kindle events; and those events were given spotlight. At least that was the impression I got.

If my friend told me that she is
Shima
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I did NOT like this.
I have to admit the idea was so interesting I started reading it hours after I first heard about it.
But the book?! AUGH! I had to stick with my record of not reading even one teenage pregnancy book!

The truth is the idea didn't do much for this book, replace this with a let's say rape pregnancy and not much would be different.
Besides that, it just pissed me off with how unrealistic and predictable it was. Jessie? Seriously? I can honestly say NO teenage boy in their right
Kelly
While this isn't a perfect novel -- there were some things that were too clean and tidily resolved at the end -- this is a GREAT read.

What happens when a girl is told she's pregnant and she's never had sex, even though she's had a long-time boyfriend? Who will believe her story?

This is a book about girls' stories and how people do and don't believe them. It has some religious elements to it, but it is NOT about that. The story relies more on the idea of faith than it does on capital-R religion
Kelly Gunderman
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purchased
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

I read this book ages ago, so why haven't I reviewed it yet? It kind of got lost in my "to-review" pile, and I just kept pushing back a review for it. But I realized that I need to get those reviews finished up, so here goes!

Mina has a great life, and she's incredibly happy with the way things are going for her. For starters, she has an awesome boyfriend with whom she is in love (a great guy who gets great grad
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

In Depth

Best Part:
Virgin Mary!
Worst Part: Draggingggg.
Overall Feels Felt: Not ok!; Always say no!; That's it?!?

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
n/a
Recommending: yah
Misc.:

Short Review: Well, a modern day virgin Mary, i was disappointed with this. Honestly thi
Errin
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Errin by: Jenn
The premise of a 17 year old virgin getting pregnant was enough to grab my interest but I did not expect this book to be as captivating and thought provoking as it was! Some parts were infuriating, the persecution Mina suffered through at the hands of people who had no business getting involved in her life. But it was so inspiring to read about the support she got from her family, Hannah, and Jesse. I shed a tear or two. The role of religion remains ambiguous throughout the book; in reality, thi ...more
LG
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Basically a 21st version of Mary, pregnant virgin, with her very own Joseph. I kept waiting for something to happen but nope. This novel had flat characters, unrealistic dialogue, a heroine that I increasingly disliked, and something that stretched my belief even more than pregnant virgins: mainstream media actually caring about a girl saying she was a pregnant virgin. I mean. Does the author live in 2015? And, if you're waiting for the mystery to be solved, you'll be waiting a long time. In the ...more
Mathieu Mazza
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Elia Princess of Starfall
I hope this isn't a super religious book
Still sounds interesting!
Tiare
I picked up Immaculate on a whim. Some reviewers who I trust had given the book glowing reviews and I had a week or so without any new releases I was planning to buy. So I thought "why not?"

I think sometimes the best books are the ones you don't plan to read. At least, in this case that was true.

Immaculate is the story of Mina, a pregnant virgin. It's the story of what happens when something is unbelievable--nay impossible--but it happens anyway.

The "issue" in Immaculate wasn't Mina's pregnancy,
Savannah (Books With Bite)
When this book hit my desk, I knew I just had to read it. It sounded really good and I was totally in for a story that would sweep me off my feet. Unfortunately, this book fell flat for me.
Issues: My biggest issue is that there are too many questions and not enough answers. Like, who is that old lady? Why did Mina fall pregnant while being a virgin? Is there a bigger picture to this? Are angels/demons/heaven/hell involved in any kind of way? Did Aliens in-pregnant her? GEEZE TELL ME WHAT IT IS!!
Gab McLaren
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wish this book didn't have an identity crisis. I really do.

On one hand, it dealt sensibly wiht harsh issues. Faith, bullying, privacy, the media, friendship, trust, religious zeal, hypocrisy, etc. The main character was surprisingly likeable and I could follow her reasoning and thought process and emotional journey. I picked the book up originally because I thought the premise of a pregnant virgin was interesting.

But somewhere along the way, the execution turned sour. The story started cycling
Taryn Bashford
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a great concept. This is the classic 'what if' question and the novel goes on to explore exactly that: what if you were 17, a virgin - and pregnant in current day small town USA. Detweiler's introspection through her main character Mina, is so spot on that you could be inside her character's head. It's authentic, at times shocking in terms of how the world reacts to a teenage girl and her claims, but also life affirming; Mina learns to trust in and accept who she is - something teens o ...more
hayden
Sep 18, 2014 marked it as to-read
My greatest fear is that this will be "YOU'RE THE VIRGIN MARY I GET IT LOL WOW JESUS DOES EXIST" preachy.

Please, for the sake of interested readers, don't do that.
Noha AlNaggar
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 stars!
  • Devoted
  • Girls on the Verge
  • Fell of Dark
  • Darkthaw (Winterkill, #2)
  • Evolution (Extraction, #3)
  • Dead to Me
  • How to Win at High School
  • Bomb
  • Vanished (Vanished, #1)
  • Infected
  • The Crimson Gate (The Violet Hour, #2)
  • Mindwalker (Mindwalker, #1)
  • Strange Skies (Burn Out, #2)
  • In Dreams
  • Dorianna
  • Scarlett Undercover
  • The A-Word (Sweet Dead Life, #2)
  • The Way We Bared Our Souls
Katelyn Detweiler was born and raised in Pennsylvania, living in a centuries-old farmhouse surrounded by fields and woods—a setting that fueled her childhood imagination and, many years later, inspired her YA debut, Immaculate. Katelyn is a writer by night (and weekend) and a literary agent by day, representing books for all ages and across all genres. She currently lives, works, and writes in Bro ...more