Start by marking “If the Magic Fits (100 Dresses, #1)” as Want to Read:
If the Magic Fits (100 Dresses, #1)

If the Magic Fits

(100 Dresses #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  857 ratings  ·  192 reviews
Inside an enchanted castle, there’s a closet—a closet with one hundred dresses that nobody ever wears. Dresses like those need a good trying-on, and Darling Dimple is just the girl to do it. When she tries on Dress Number Eleven, something unbelievable happens. She transforms into the castle’s Head Scrubber! It turns out that each dress can disguise her as someone else. ...more
Published October 25th 2016 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about If the Magic Fits, please sign up.
#Litfamsquat#Chels it was OK not very good tho, i only finished it because i had to for my English project.

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of If the Magic Fits (100 Dresses, #1)
Lola
Oh how I wish I had read this wonderful book when I was a little girl.

And I seriously think this would make a magnificent animated story.

It’s just that charming and magical. I mean, I suppose you already assume that from the original title and beautiful cover, but I can assure you that there is no exaggeration about them.

From the setting to the story to the characters, everything is marvellous. But really, who never dreamed of owning 100 gowns – exquisite gowns?

But wait a second, these dresses
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ by: Lola
Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

In the kingdom of Eliora, eleven year old Darling Dimple is an orphaned servant in Princess Mariposa’s castle, a lowly pot scrubber in the under-cellar of the castle kitchens. She dreams of being a mighty sailor or a great enchantress ― and since she lives in a magic-filled castle built by dragons, surely adventures will come her way! But her daydreams lead to trouble with the castle’s Supreme Scrubstress, who doesn’t take kindly to being splashed
Irena
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Do you still remember fairytales you enjoyed when you were young?
If you loved listening about enchanted castles and beautiful princesses, there's a great chance you will love this story.

If the Magic Fits is a brand new fairytale, and it has everything a good fairytale should have: magic, dragons, friendly mouse, beautiful gawns that come to life at times, magical bird, princess, prince and a strong protagonist.

description

The only thig that this story does not have are witches.
BUT, you know that word that
Zyra
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very cute & fluffy :)
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

DNF

I received this E-ARC via the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I was looking forward to reading this. But when I started it I found it to be really silly. Definitely not for me.

Still recommend.
Jessica
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
I got to read this back before it even had a title, but I loved it even then! A fun and absolutely charming story that reminded me of something by Gail Carson Levine or E. D. Baker.
Amber
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this ebook through Netgalley, the author and the publisher in exchange of an honest review.

Darling Dimple works for the Princess as one of her servants. When she stumbles into a closet full of magical dresses, her real adventure begins. Will she be up for the challenge? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good YA middle grade fantasy novel about a girl who tries her best and must learn to do what is right. If you enjoy fairytales like this, definitely
Kate Willis
This looked like an adorable book! I love everything about the cover, and it was a special treat to have a drawing of a dress at the beginning of each chapter. Darling Dimple (yes, that is actually her name) was a sweet, spunky, and imaginative heroine. I liked her friendships with Roger and Gillian, her love for her adoptive mother Jane, and her loyalty to the princess.

Speaking of the princess, as Darling got to know her, she seemed less spoiled and more complicated. I liked how she was
Steffi
DNF @ 30%

At first I was drawn to this book because of the amazing cover. The blurb sounded really interesting too and I do enjoy childrens books from time to time.

I found it really difficult getting into the story and for a children's book I found it really confusing. The book was very different from what I expected and I just couldn't warm up with the story. I found it immensely boring and dragging.
I couldn't connect with the little girl Darling and some developments were rather ridiculous and
Elevetha
*An ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

It seems that I am in the minority of early readers for this book, as I didn't really like this one. There was nothing especially wrong with it, though it did have a few issues, but it didn't hold my interest (it took me over two months to read this!) and it was pretty vanilla, honestly.

Some of the actual issues I had with this book is that the magic is really ill-explained. And the dresses...why do
Julia
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: these
This was a really fun read! Darling has such a unique voice, which is established pretty quickly as she talks about how her mother just curled up her toes and died. She is a bit of a cliche character type, though (the girl with a normal life who dreams of having an adventure)
She's very human; Darling makes a lot of mistakes throughout the course of the book. I really liked the plot twist at the end. Well done!
Abi
I liked this book. It was cute and middle grade, which is a change from the normal YA/new adult fantasy me. It was a unique enough story, and I liked the little hints at romance for the future. It was paced all right, and I'm curious about the world. If I can find the next book at the library, I will read it. 3.5 stars.
Bec
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-2010s
This was such a fun book to read. Once I started reading I didn’t want to stop, although, I did feel that parts of the middle section fell away slightly but they definitely picked up again at the end.
Tahlia
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Darling fairy tale. Wish this had been around while I was growing up but so glad my kids can read and enjoy now.
Melissa Menten
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
Completely charming and fun. Darling is a orphaned servant in Princess Mariposa's castle who stumbles upon a closet full of magic dresses that transform her appearance into different people. The princess is wooed by several suitors, but can't seem to pick. Then Darling overhears a plot by the most favored prince to capture the princess's heart and use her to unlock the magic restraining the castle's dragons. So, with the help of the dresses, Darling assigns herself the job of saving the princess ...more
Amber
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty adorable. A simple dishwasher makes her way through the castle ranks to become a "under-presser" to the princess. Along the way she comes across a magic canary, magic dresses, and a plot to destroy a kingdom. With the help of a mouse named Iago, 100 dresses, and a singing bird, Darling must find a way to prevent the destruction of her beloved kingdom.

It starts off a bit slow, but manages to quickly redeem itself about a third of the way in. I was able to quickly guess who
Kayla
Such a fun book! Too many middle-grade reads are so focused on the main plot that they forget readers like a few surprises. The writing was good, the main character was flawed in a lovable way, the plot was fun and creative, and I loved being surprised more than once! It would be a fun read-aloud, and I’m planning to put it on my 10 year-old daughter’s Kindle- I know she’ll love it too!
Harley Bennett
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darling Dimple discovers a closet full of magical dresses. The dresses will help her to save the kingdom. This is an excellent magical fairy tale suitable for middle-school students.
Brenda
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tale
Originally posted at Log Cabin Library

If the Magic Fits has many of the fairy tale components that I enjoy, a beautiful princess, magical castle, a helpful white mouse, and dragons. Although in this case, the dragons have been encased in stone and are for the moment secure in the castle spire. I really liked the premise of the magical dresses being able to disguise Darling, but somehow still have questions about the magic. It's the canary that selects which of the hundred dresses that Darling
Bear
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Cutesy elementary reading, but not bad.
Martin Such
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A quick funny fairy tale story. I would go back to this series but have give it some time.
Giselle Bradley
Apr 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
1.5 Stars
Miranda.S
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best books I've ever read!
Sarah Hay
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j, j-series
A new sort of fairytale where a servant girl, Darling Dimple, finds a closet of magical dresses. The dresses allow Darling to become different people when she puts them on and when she realizes that the princess she serves may be in trouble she knows she has to take action. Complete with maigcal animals, castles, beautiful dresses, and dragons, this series will appeal to fairytale enthusiasts.

Good for ages 9 and up.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Darling Dimple is an eleven year old orphan who was raised by Jane, a servant in Princess Mariposa’s castle. When Jane loses her eyesight, Darling becomes a lowly pot scrubber in the under-cellar of the castle kitchens. She dreams of many things and tells the most fantastic stories to her friend Gillian. It turns out that the castle is magical and she has many adventures coming her way. When she gets into trouble with the Supreme Scrubstress, who doesn’t take kindly to being splashed with dirty ...more
Briana
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Initial Thoughts: This is really cute and a fun adventure. Part of me wants the plot to be a little more complex and the magic more sophisticated, but if I remember it's a middle grade novel, it's fine.

Full Review:

If the Magic Fits is a charming, feel-good adventure that takes readers through a magical castle with a bevy of secrets. It's just the type of middle grade novel I enjoy, featuring an imaginative protagonist who's always up for a challenge and some undercover exploration.

Parts of the
Maureen Lubitz
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on You Have Your Hands Full

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley/the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I have a nine-year-old daughter, so I am always excited about reading middle grade books. We often read the books I receive together. She loves reading, and her feedback is invaluable.

If The Magic Fits was written by Susan Maupin Schmid. This is the story of Darling Dimple. I just have to say that this is such a delightful name for a character; it fits Darling
Josie
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: clean, favorites, fantasy
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Review: I loved the idea for this story! I could practically see and feel all the dresses, and Darling was so entertaining to read about. However, sometimes the writing was a bit confusing, like there was supposed to be an explanation beforehand when there wasn't or it wasn't obvious enough. Other than that, I enjoyed it and finished it in a few hours.
Content: There was a slight romance between Darling and one of her friends, but nothing happened. Princess Mariposa's fiance
Marcilia
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it
If the Magic Fits is the book every little girl who enjoys playing dress up and pretty gowns needs to read. Because in this story, elaborate and magical dresses have the power to transform the wearer into someone completely different.
Our heroine isn’t a princess, and wasn’t “born in a tower or a golden chamber”. Darling Dimple is a simple 10-year-old girl who works in the castle. Everything changes when she discovers a room filled with elegant and marvelous gowns. Upon trying one on, she
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Unicorn Quest (The Unicorn Quest #1)
  • Unlocking the Spell (Wide-Awake Princess, #2)
  • Disenchanted: The Trials of Cinderella (Tyme, #2)
  • Grounded: The Adventures of Rapunzel (Tyme #1)
  • Red: The True Story of Red Riding Hood
  • The Rose Legacy (The Rose Legacy, #1)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Heart (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #2)
  • Tuesdays at the Castle (Castle Glower, #1)
  • Misfits (Royal Academy Rebels #1)
  • The Detective's Assistant
  • Palace of Stone
  • Grump: The (Fairly) True Tale of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
  • The Ambrose Deception
  • Pennyroyal Academy (Pennyroyal Academy, #1)
  • The Bravest Princess (Wide-Awake Princess, #3)
  • Mr. Lemoncello's All-Star Breakout Game (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #4)
  • The Portal (Tangled in Time, #1)
  • The Flight of Swans
Susan Maupin Schmid lives in Iowa.

100 Dresses (3 books)
  • Ghost of a Chance (100 Dresses, #2)
  • The Starlight Slippers (100 Dresses, #3)
“There was only me, Darling Dimple, Dragon-Thwarter, at hand to save the Princess.....Any Dragon-Thwarter worth their mettle will tell you that dragon-thwarting is not an easy business. A Dragon-Slayer only kills dragons, usually with a big word. A Dragon-Thwarter has to thwart the dragon without getting within claw's reach of him. Because Dragon-Thwarters like me lacked big swords, not to mention shields, armor, or those big heavy boots that Dragon-Slayers wear.” 0 likes
“My dear, one must always look for something good in others or one will never see it.” 0 likes